Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,545 members, 7,837,092 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... (907 Views)

How Obanikoro’s Senate Screening Differs Greatly From That Of Amaechi / Bombshell: Allegations Of Voter Fraud In Rivers State Greatly Exaggerated - Jega / Emmanuel TV Has Released A Video Of TB Joshua Prophesying The Boston Bombing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by EkoIle1: 2:23am On Apr 30, 2013

The Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, at the weekend said his government picked up critical lessons from the Boston marathon attack in the United States, a couple of weeks ago, which left many people dead and scores badly injured, some with permanent damage.

Speaking at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, John Hopkins University, Washington D.C, where he delivered a lecture, Fashola said he kept long nights taking notes on how the US government managed the situation from the moment the attack was launched.

Describing terrorism as a trans-boundary crime, Fashola told the audience that: "I kept long hours at night following the events, taking notes about how the first responders reacted and how the law enforcement carried out their duties. They are notes that I have shared with my colleagues in government that are in charge of health and security services and many of them shared some of those long nights as well."

The governor described the occasion of the lecture as "an appropriate opportunity to personally convey the sympathy of the people and government of the state to all of you Americans here and members of the free world for the unfortunate and horrific incident that happened in Boston over a week ago. We join you in condemning and fighting terror wherever it rears its ugly head.

"For those who still fail to understand, terror is a trans-boundary crime with global ramifications. Even though we were not physically here with you during those traumatic moments, we were deeply affected by the events as we watched on global news."
[b]
The incident aside, Fashola also shared his experience on the trip to the US when he said: "Violence and devastating consequences compelled me to review my invitation to speak here today. I asked myself if it was safe to come. I asked myself if the law enforcement and border security agencies would be increasingly hostile to visitors in view of the origins of the suspects of the crime.

"I asked myself if people like me, a Muslim, would not be profiled for all sorts of body searches. I considered calling Professor Peter Lewis to cancel the trip. The event is a call I never made. I decided to personally experience whatever new measures that visitors to this country would now have to contend with.

"I am pleased that I never picked up the phone to call Professor Lewis. I am also pleased to say that none of my fears about the possible heavy-handed reaction were borne out- at least, certainly not from my experience or that of my entourage. But something that was non-official, in this sense, did not represent the manifest position of the government of this country, happened," he noted.

Continuing, Fashola said "As we were being assisted through Immigration by my country's ambassador, the very amiable Ambassador Archibong, an elderly American lady shouted out: 'Why should these visitors go through before me? This is my country.' Her words will stay with me for a long time as I struggle to make meaning of them. But why are they relevant here?

"It is because Professor Lewis asked me to speak on a topic that relates to the challenges of governance and development in Lagos State, and governing Nigeria's federal system. I had chosen the topic 'Liberating and coordinating diversity.' But I did not write my speech until Wednesday, the day I got here.

"As far as I know, many countries that have opted for a federal system of government have done so because it is the best known system for managing diversity; whether of tribes, nationalities, religions, ethnicities or languages. In this sense, this country and my country, especially my state, Lagos, are no different.

"Lagos shares many similarities with New York: as former federal capitals, as current commercial capitals, as melting pots of different people from different walks of life. Where would our two countries be without the diversity of their immigrant population- an immigrant population whose skills and financial resource help to keep the wheels of development turning?" he asked, adding: "I will let you ponder over these thoughts, and move to the content of my speech."[/b]

http://allafrica.com/stories/201304290377.html

Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by EkoIle1: 2:29am On Apr 30, 2013
Some leaders makes you feel ashamed to be a Nigerian while with leaders like this man, it's the other way around, they make you not only proud to be a Nigerian, but also make raise up your head and gladly say you are a Nigeria..

1 Like

Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by MajeOfficial: 3:15am On Apr 30, 2013
Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by Quaritch(m): 4:22am On Apr 30, 2013
Eko Ile: Some leaders makes you feel ashamed to be a Nigerian while with leaders like this man, it's the other way around, they make you not only proud to be a Nigerian, but also make raise up your head and gladly say you are a Nigeria..

This is why we must vote for men with brain cells in their skull rather than bayelsa water, come 2015! grin

1 Like

Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by MrGlobe(m): 5:40am On Apr 30, 2013
Eko Ile: Some leaders makes you feel ashamed to be a Nigerian while with leaders like this man, it's the other way around, they make you not only proud to be a Nigerian, but also make raise up your head and gladly say you are a Nigeria..
well you are entitled to your paid opinion. What's it with Fashola always starting his address by stating he did not initially want to attend the conference/seminar but later changed his mind. The same thing he said at Achebe's colloquium. Fashola should take lessons on how to start a speech. He comes across as a petty lawyer.
Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by Kairoseki77: 5:54am On Apr 30, 2013
Even if you hate this man out of tribalism, you still have to admit that he is good person.
Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by mapet: 8:21am On Apr 30, 2013
With due respect, you've just yarned OP. Not taking your entitlement of your opinion from you, but the value of the analogy of 2 critical point he's drawn are valid lessons for us all to ponder upon globaly. These may even be more valuable than the speech itself

1. The plight and perspective of a Muslim who will have to go through the brunt, negative implication and consequences, embarrassment, persecution etc. that ordinary Muslims will be subjected to. Will they not be better off declining invitations like Fashola was wont to do?

2. The perspective of the "indigene", who feels we foreigners have come to take their entitlements in there lands and our brothers causing chaos. If a typical American citizen feels a governor of a state in another country is depriving him/her of rights she's entitled to first.......these are critical lessons Fashola is pointing out on realities of diversity.

3. .....and before you write ridiculous insinuations i.e. "petty lawyer"; don't you think pondering on some deep things will serve you better?
Mr. Globe:

well you are entitled to your paid opinion. What's it with Fashola always starting his address by stating he did not initially want to attend the conference/seminar but later changed his mind. The same thing he said at Achebe's colloquium. Fashola should take lessons on how to start a speech. He comes across as a petty lawyer.

1 Like

Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by boron10(m): 9:23am On Apr 30, 2013
Quaritch:

This is why we must vote for men with brain cells in their skull rather than bayelsa water, come 2015! grin
Unfortunately for us, the population of voters who are unintelligent enough to discern the right person to lead us overwhelm the intelligent ones.
Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by redsun(m): 9:50am On Apr 30, 2013

Shameless animal.He was speaking about exactly opposite of what you think makes city,tribal and backwardness.Instead of diversity and buoyancy that he is on about.

But your urge to promote anything fashola cannot let see that the theme of the message is speaking to static creatures to embrace evolution.
Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by Kajiang02(m): 10:30am On Apr 30, 2013
You forget some things here.
The investigation and finding the Boston bomber was made possible cos someone identified the bomber and from there, cameras were called to action.
Before some of us here castigate GEJ in times like this, How many people will come out to point to where the Boko guys are? Or who they are and how they operate.

Everyone was involved in this and great it became a historic achievement.
Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by bloggernaija: 11:38am On Apr 30, 2013
NIGERIANS ARE TEABAGGERS. They are probably the most ignorant people on the planet. Every dogs,sheep and pig has an opinion. You can tell a great leader when you see,hear or feel the impact of one. Awo was not a great leader because he built cocoa house,liberty stadium,NTA,university of ife etc, he was great because of the impact he had on the people's life. A typical town in the southwest has the mass of professional needed for it to be a self functioning country in its own right.Children of farmers became lawyers,doctors,engineer scientist thereby banishing poverty forever.
Back to fashola,you know a good leader by little attention that he pays to the little intricacies and matters. First of all,he writes his own speeches. Just like in school,many nigerians never do their own assignments. They just xerox it from more hardworking people. Unfortunately , this attitude is carried into government .laziness ,lack of vision and poor problem solving skills.
Secondly he back up his argument with facts.if you can identify problem,then solving then will be a little easier.
Thirdly, he acts ,speak and looks presidential.
Fourthly ,he can be firm when he want to be .e.g ladipo and others.
He also knows how to organise his agenda.
If only the federal government in nigeria was any use at all,things would have been different .i think the role of the federal government at the fundetmental level is to play support to the states
I always search the web to read fashola's speeches to get hidden information and salient facts. He always makes sure to separate fashola the politician from fashola the administrator.
I cannot say the same of GEJ .in fact I cannot say the same of the other politicians.i put myself through the GEJ /amanpour interview and that was really painful.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by johnie: 2:37pm On Apr 30, 2013
Kajiang02: You forget some things here.
The investigation and finding the Boston bomber was made possible cos someone identified the bomber and from there, cameras were called to action.
Before some of us here castigate GEJ in times like this, How many people will come out to point to where the Boko guys are? Or who they are and how they operate.

Everyone was involved in this and great it became a historic achievement.

Correct!
Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by ekoilee: 2:50pm On Apr 30, 2013
redsun:

Shameless animal.He was speaking about exactly opposite of what you think makes city,tribal and backwardness.Instead of diversity and buoyancy that he is on about.

But your urge to promote anything fashola cannot let see that the theme of the message is speaking to static creatures to embrace evolution.

How bad are you hurting?

Is who I promote or don't promote your headache on NL or it critically bothers your existence that you have to chase me all over NL just to let me know? Is this what old fhagots like you do to SW s hour miserable and worthless life?

Suckssss to be you old dullard...lmao.
Re: Fashola - We've Learnt Greatly From The Boston Attack. A Must Read.... by kingingkinging: 5:43pm On Apr 30, 2013
Why do I like this man like this?

A man full of widom, good intention and will power to make it done.

God bless you sir.

(1) (Reply)

Mbaise People Set To Protest The "Imposition" Of Bishop. / Eko Ile: let Me Show You By Musiwa / Al-mustapha Visits T.B. Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.