Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,705 members, 7,827,578 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? (14353 Views)

JOHESU And APHA Directive To All Members In States And LG Health Institutions To / Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors / How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by eaglechild: 1:01pm On May 01, 2013
donez: Only doctors should head hospitals, just lyk saying politics should only be played by graduates of political science dats a piece of crap!! Anybodi in d medical field should be eligible to head a hospital
Hospitals have a management board which maybe headed by anyone.
However, the Chief medical director (which is what the other health workers are demanding for) can and should only be held by a doctor as the name MEDICAL DIRECTOR implies.

4 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Ochek: 1:05pm On May 01, 2013
[quote author=Olanight][/quote]
Things have changed man! If you still wanna LIE IN THE DEGENERATIVE state of the past, you re free to resign. Other health practitionals can as well make good decisions in the management of the health case system. Well you said most nurses, which means you re aware of recent developments in the nursing world. Pharm? Common! Don't tell me you re so short sighted about them as well.
Tell me, how many times does the office of the CMD in teaching hospitals come down to the wards to clark patients or follow up on a case?

1 Like

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Ashuale(m): 1:06pm On May 01, 2013
ola_pluto: I had this discussion with a Ghanaian friend. Health management is not exclusive to medical doctors. In fact, nowadays, the role of doctors is narrowing down to exclusive surgeries. Every other aspect can be handled by nurses, midwives and others. Serious doctors will want to be better in their field and not dabble into admin.
Lets look at it from the MPH, Master of Public Health degree. That is a more admin related course, and the requirements is for anyone who has done medical sciences. That in itself is a subtle admission that medical administration is not solely for medical doctors.
. I can pardon you since you are not in the medical profession. That means peadiatrics,psychiatry,internal medicine,pathology,etc can be handled by nurses,midwives and others abi?.
Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by 5sigma(m): 1:09pm On May 01, 2013
The doctor is the leader of the health team. No matter how long an air hostess has been flying, she cannot become the pilot. The other health workers should go and write JAMB, obtain admission to study medicine and then become suitable candidates. Thing is,no matter how long the wind blows the mountain can never bow.enuf said!

5 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by kenlash1(m): 1:15pm On May 01, 2013
D post of cmd is an administrative position wch shld b d right of all health practitioners , hospital is built around team work , every member of d health team works for d betterment of d patient , d fact dt I don't touch d patient nd my investigations shows wat is actually wrong wif the patient wifout me seeing the patient shows that my job is important, same goes to d pharmacist nd the nurses, anybody can be an administrator, I dnt need study political science to become a politician. The hospital belongs to all health practitioners not d sole right of one profession

1 Like

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by takeprofit: 1:16pm On May 01, 2013
5sigma: The doctor is the leader of the health team. No matter how long an air hostess has been flying, she cannot become the pilot. The other health workers should go and write JAMB, obtain admission to study medicine and then become suitable candidates. Thing is,no matter how long the wind blows the mountain can never bow.enuf said!

What is a medical doctor doing as the governor of a state or in the senate. politics and government should be left for Political Scientists.

7 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by neksummi(m): 1:21pm On May 01, 2013
Interesting debate!
Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by wengerjay(m): 1:22pm On May 01, 2013
speedyboi: See question. Why not? That's how it is in other countries. Not like a country filled with backward people called Nigerians where Doctors and their overbloated ego are seen ås ontop of the world (funny enough, most of them know nothing). Medicine is just like everyother courses in health & Clinical sciences; they shouldn't have any special rights.
But, Nigerians are full of stereotypes anyways

@Bolded, So is Nursing.
Hello Sir/Ma,u cant compare medicine with Nursing.Politics apart,my secondary school mates dat ended up studying medicine were the best in our secodary sch days,the very average ones studied nursing and i believe this is stil the trend these days.It is just unfortunate dat there is lawlessness in the land,a commercial driver can jst wake up one day and say he is a pilot in Nigeria,nobody wil challenge him.Govt shd visit other countries and see hw hospitals are being run their.We all know the truth and the truth is dat most of our best read medicine.

2 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Nobody: 1:26pm On May 01, 2013
Ochek:

Super wrong! Have you heard about Bachelor in Nursing science (BNSc)?
I bet you don't have a blue on what the curriculum of the medical sciences and other medically related courses look like.
However, you should understand that been a CMD is solely an administrative assignment which makes other health team members qualified. Remember, it is called a health team.
so you're trying to say that someone with bachelor of science in nursing knows what it takes to manage a diabetic patient or to do appendicectomy?

Doctors are insisting that this administrative office in health institutions is patient oriented. And only doctors can give a holistic approach to bring about that patient oriented care.

1 Like

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Cmanforall: 1:26pm On May 01, 2013
Y ds war against Drs? If these non-doctors are dedicated to their duties(optimal management of patients) in their different departments, the̶̲̥̅̊ health sector will stand. Instead of maaking reasonable input in the̶̲̥̅̊ir various departments, they aare busy fighting for positions.... Weda a Dr or non-Dr is d head of health sector is inconsequential, let all of them put in thr very best so patients won't suffer...

If dt seat is reserved for Drs all this while, I think it will be proper for the̶̲̥̅̊ Non-Drs to purchase JAMB form and study medicine, so d can b Heads.
#if U̶̲̥̅̊ can't Beat them, Join THEM#. y

2 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by ziga: 1:28pm On May 01, 2013
speedyboi: See question. Why not? That's how it is in other countries. Not like a country filled with backward people called Nigerians where Doctors and their overbloated ego are seen ås ontop of the world (funny enough, most of them know nothing). Medicine is just like everyother courses in health & Clinical sciences; they shouldn't have any special rights.
But, Nigerians are full of stereotypes anyways

@Bolded, So is Nursing.

Which countries People talking what they don't know.

See below and tell me which one of these people are not MDs. And that is from the website of american medical directors.

AMDCP Board of Directors

Board members serve a three year term. Terms expire in the year noted in parentheses.
Bruce Robinson, MD, CMD (2014) Chair

Thomas Edmondson, MD, CMD(2014) Vice Chair

Sabine Maria von Preyss-Friedman, MD, CMD(2015) Secretary/Treasurer

Rebecca L. Ferrini, MD, MPH, CMD (2013)

M. Rosina Finley, MD, CMD (2013)

Melinda Henderson, MD, CMD (2015)

Robert G. Kaplan, MD, CMD (2014)

Thomas S. Lehner, MD, CMD (2013) Immediate past chair Randolph E. Schumacher, MD, CMD (2015)

5 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Nobody: 1:30pm On May 01, 2013
Ashuale: . I can pardon you since you are not in the medical profession. That means peadiatrics,psychiatry,internal medicine,pathology,etc can be handled by nurses,midwives and others abi?.
No mind d fool jare....its pathetic dat most pple commentin here ve neva been 2 a teaching hospt b4
Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by maclatunji: 1:31pm On May 01, 2013
Only those with qualifications in Hospital Management should head hospitals if we want to be honest. A doctor with Hospital Management qualification would be attractive in my opinion. This does not mean it should be their exclusive position, other healthcare workers may rise to become Chief Administrators of hospitals.

2 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 01, 2013
centje: Let's have your views on this crucial issue troubling the nigerian health sector in recent times

my view is dat doctors shd head health institutions. For Hippocrate' s sake, d doctor is the head of d health team both clinically n administratively, it aint bias, its wat it IS.

2 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by plendil: 1:43pm On May 01, 2013
The headship of hospitals should be left to medical doctors. That is the practice anywhere in the world.

1 Like

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by InvertedHammer: 1:45pm On May 01, 2013
Doctors usually are Head of Department in their respective specialties but not necessarily Head of Health Institutions. Most often than not, these Health Institutions are headed by non-doctors with Healthcare Management experience.

Healthcare practice is different from Healthcare Management

3 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 01, 2013
ngozievergreen:

my view is dat doctors shd head health institutions. For Hippocrate' s sake, d doctor is the head of d health team both clinically n administratively, it aint bias, its wat it IS.
i agree with you.

Mr president set up a committee to travel to other countries,see how they run their health system and report back with recommendations. But somehow the non-doctors association (JOHESU) rejected the committee.
Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 01, 2013
Ashuale: . I can pardon you since you are not in the medical profession. That means peadiatrics,psychiatry,internal medicine,pathology,etc can be handled by nurses,midwives and others abi?.

So you've not heard anything like Paediatric Nurse? Psychiatric Nurse? Wait are you trying to say the average nurse won't have any training on Child's health (paediatrics), mental health (psychiatry), diseases (pathology) etc. Your ignorance is pathetic.

ziga:

See below and tell me which one of these people are not MDs. And that is from the website of american medical directors.

You give me just one meaningless list of 4 or 5 people and you think you are making a point? How ridiculous can you get? I won't even bother giving you any list Cos you are not worth it.

judging from all these posts that I'm seeing, I see most people don't even know what they are talking about. They are just following the typical Nigerian stereotypical views. Continue in your one way bus. I'm out of this thread!

4 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by jimjones: 1:59pm On May 01, 2013
how about, only political scientists should occupy elected offices?
Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Ochek: 2:01pm On May 01, 2013
centje: so you're trying to say that someone with bachelor of science in nursing knows what it takes to manage a diabetic patient or to do appendicectomy?

Doctors are insisting that this administrative office in health institutions is patient oriented. And only doctors can give a holistic approach to bring about that patient oriented care.

Managing a patient with diabetics - A Bachelor in Nursing Science can handle? Yes! Appendectomy? No! Why? Cos it's nursing and not surgery. Holistic care? Yes. Hey! I guess you re forgetting that the mega aim is administration - patient and the entire human resources of the hospital staff.
So, tell me, if the doctors agree that it is a team work play, then why re them so scared of working in a team headed by another professional on the team.

2 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Nobody: 2:03pm On May 01, 2013
Inferiority complex is a bad thing.
It is like that all over the world
The Health Secretary here in the USA is always a medical doctor.
The chief medical director of any hospitals has to be a Medical doctor
That is just the way it should be

6 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Buchianom(m): 2:05pm On May 01, 2013
Headship of hospitals / health institutions is not the exclusive right of doctors, it is beta managed by health adminstrators or any other health care professional with an added degree in adminstration. D headship of hospitals by doctors has done more harm than good to our healthcare system and just as contained in the article; the doctors ALWAYS favour doctors to the detriment of oda healthcare professionals.

1 Like

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Nobody: 2:06pm On May 01, 2013
Anybody wey no like am should go to med school.
I agree the person must have management experience,but being a medical doctor is the primary qualification.
Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by eejo(m): 2:07pm On May 01, 2013
Doctors monopoly is responsible for the fall in the health care system the minister lack knowledge to say all other professional are supportive health is like a football team a striker is not important than the goalkepper until Doctors realise this Nigerians will continue to suffer poor health system
Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 01, 2013
eejo: Doctors monopoly is responsible for the fall in the health care system the minister lack knowledge to say all other professional are supportive health is like a football team a striker is not important than the goalkepper until Doctors realise this Nigerians will continue to suffer poor health system

Puhlease!!
And teachers monopoly in the schools is the cause of the failure in the education system?
And failure in the Nigerian government is due to monopoly by men
Are you folks for real or just looking for scapegoats

3 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 01, 2013
Hospital administrators
Their responsibilities are numerous and sometimes require the assistance of the medical staff. They act as liaisons between governing boards, medical staff, and department heads and integrate the activities of all departments so they function as a whole. Following policies set by a governing board of trustees, administrators plan, organize, direct, control and coordinate medical and health services. Administrators plan budgets and set rates for health services.
Health Services Administrators should have a master's degree in health services administration.
http://www.princetonreview.com/careers.aspx?cid=203
Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 01, 2013
jejet: Hospital administrators
Their responsibilities are numerous and sometimes require the assistance of the medical staff. They act as liaisons between governing boards, medical staff, and department heads and integrate the activities of all departments so they function as a whole. Following policies set by a governing board of trustees, administrators plan, organize, direct, control and coordinate medical and health services. Administrators plan budgets and set rates for health services.
Health Services Administrators should have a master's degree in health services administration.
http://www.princetonreview.com/careers.aspx?cid=203

There are many hospital administrators at various levels that are not doctors
But the Chief medical directors invariably must be doctors
That should be a no brainer

2 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Buchianom(m): 2:18pm On May 01, 2013
centje: i agree with you.

Mr president set up a committee to travel to other countries,see how they run their health system and report back with recommendations. But somehow the non-doctors association (JOHESU) rejected the committee.

They rejected it cos it was masterminded by NMA thro d minister of doctors (prof Chukwu).

A presidential committee on harmonious relationship amongst health professionals was set up since 2011 to identify problems in the health sector $ make recommendations. It was fairly constituted with each profession, union $ associations having @least a representative each $ was headed by a retired chief judge, ds cttee did a very perfect job, but just for the fact that most of d recommendations wia not in favour of doctors (wich has always been the case), NMA pulled out of d committee, refused to sign $ wrote a counter report against d report of the cttee. The Minister of 'doctors' in his usual way refused to forward d cttee's report to d president till JOHESU threatend to down tools. Dats Y d president is setting up anoda cttee based on d bad advice frm d MOH.

7 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by dramendra: 2:42pm On May 01, 2013
Adminstration is truly a total different area of profession, but should a clearing and forwarding agent head a mechanic's work shop just because he clears cars from the port? Another political plans to take over the public hospitals for blackmail.
Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by DrKlever(m): 2:43pm On May 01, 2013
ziga:

listen to this ignoramus. Medical doctors doees not mean surgeons. In usa dentist are called doctors so is a pharmacist cuz they do D pharm. Its only in a messed up country like nigeria dat surgeons want to assume the responsibility of other health practioners. Administrative work should b run by any health personnel not only our so called medical doctors.

7 Likes

Re: Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 01, 2013
HAH: I don't know why doctors are feeling so important, very soon doctors work is about to be taken by computers, unless you are a surgeon.

A lot of Nigerian doctors have converted to nurses abroad because there are less need for doctors and more need for nurses
that is not true. doctors are decision makers in hospitals. nurses follow doctors instructions. developed countries are more comfortable to hire foreign nurses than doctors. besides demand for nursing services is increasing because of increase in aging populations.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Where Can I Donate Blood And Kidney And Get Paid / Fresh Coronavirus Outbreak Hit Benue, 25 Cases Reported / Use Oriflame Footscrub And Ecollagen Cream To Get Rid Of That Stretch Marks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.