Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,810 members, 7,817,352 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo (6646 Views)

Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / Nigeria, US Sign MOU On 10,000MW Power Africa Initiative • Anambra Gets 1,500MW / Vision 20:2020 Not Realisable -United Nations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by gateleo(m): 10:15pm On May 01, 2013
10,000 Megawatts Not Realisable By December, Says Nebo

Blueprint for private sector’s investment in transmission underway

GOING by existing realities, the country’s goal of attaining 10,000 megawatts (mw) of electricity by December is not realisable, according to the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo.

The minister spoke to reporters in Abuja on the goal set by his predecessors and some other government officials.

But he said that something close to the figure would be realised in December, stressing that 10,000mw would be achieved by first quarter of 2014 based on a professional and realistic analysis of the sector.

“As an engineer and knowing the realities on ground, we will achieve this by first quarter of 2014. We need time to achieve part of the target. We will get close to it, but the truth is that we cannot get 10,000mw by December,” he said.

Meanwhile, the controversy trailing the Bureau of Public Enterprises’ (BPE) decision to sell the Enugu Distribution Company despite the existence of a 20-year pact with Aba Power Limited that ring-fenced the Aba Business Zone to the firm seems to have ended. This is because Nebo promised yesterday that government would respect the agreement.

The Guardian had reported recently that efforts by the BPE to privatise the entire Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC) despite the existence of a 20-year lease agreement which the Federal Government entered into with a private concern for the management of the Aba metropolis was creating a fresh concern over the privatisation programme of government.

The Federal Government, the National Electric Power Authority (NEPA, as it was then known) and Aba Power Limited entered into a lease agreement on April 28, 2005 for the distribution of power to the ring-fenced residential and commercial consumers at Aba, Abia State. The contract covered Aba Business Unit and Ariaria Business Unit, both of which form part of Enugu Distribution Company (Enugu Disco).

Following the agreement, the Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) in 2006 granted a licence to Aba Power Limited to distribute power within the ring-fence.

On December 12, 2012, a group of chieftains under the umbrella of Ndigbo Lagos, led by Prof. Anya O. Anya, wrote to President Goodluck Jonathan asking him to respect the terms of the agreement with Aba Power Limited.

The Federal Government went ahead on February 20, 2013 and signed an agreement with bid winners of the Enugu Distribution Company, Interstate Consortium.

But in a swift reaction, Wole Olanipekun & Co on February 21, 2013 advised the general public to desist from any act, purchase or negotiation in respect of any offer to sell, lease, transfer any right in the Enugu Disco, which does not expressly exclude Aba and Ariaria Business Units.

But responding to questions on what government was doing to resolve the impasse, Nebo told reporters: “Government intends to honour the agreement with Aba Power Limited for the ring-fenced Aba and Ariaria Business Units.”

Reviewing the state of the power sector, the minister also called on Nigerians to exercise a little more patience with government as the power reform agenda would be executed.

On the generation capability, he stressed: “Currently, installed available generation capacity has risen to 6,000mw. Peak generation is slightly above 4,500mw. We intend to add additional generation capacity of about 2,200mw from the NIPP projects (1,896mw), IPPs (292mw) and FGN legacy assets (514mw) before the end of 2013.

“The Federal Government is also investing heavily to boost generation through large, medium and small hydros with a total capacity of over 4,234mw.”

He said a $3.4 billion investment would be required to expand the transmission grid to be able to evacuate all the generated power.

He said the ministry was collaborating with the Finance Ministry to work out a blueprint for private sector’s investment in transmission, stressing once again that the Transmission Company of Nigeria would not be sold to a private concern, but would remain a government-owned entity.

Source: http://www.theguardianmobile.com/readNewsItem1.php?nid=13119
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by manny4life(m): 12:44am On May 02, 2013
Hmm, ok
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Pygru: 1:01am On May 02, 2013
embarassed
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Nobody: 1:15am On May 02, 2013

17 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Rossikk(m): 1:22am On May 02, 2013
^^ grin grin Funny.

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Nobody: 2:40am On May 02, 2013
Rossikk: ^^ grin grin Funny.

Funny? Na you give them 10000 target? Na opposition give them the target?

They are struggling at 4000 plus but suddenly want to raise it to 10000.
Clueless set of criminals.

8 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by gbanikiti(m): 4:26am On May 02, 2013
we don hear! i wasn't expecting any good news about the megawatts crap. My generator will do the job for me. Na today? mtsheeew!
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by RickyRoss1(m): 4:45am On May 02, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Funny? Na you give them 10000 target? Na opposition give them the target?

They are struggling at 4000 plus but suddenly want to raise it to 10000.
Clueless set of criminals.

Guy just shut up. I hate people that lie even from their ass. Yeah GEJ has his lapses, but nobody living in Nigeria will dispute the fact that electricity has greatly improved under GEJ administration. OBJ wasted 8 years and 18 billion US Dollars without adding a single kilowat. Learn to praise people when/where they are praise worthy.

GEJ is not perfect, but in the areas of electricity, infrastructure etc he has done better than his predecessors.

10 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Nobody: 5:00am On May 02, 2013
Ricky_Ross:

Guy just shut up. I hate people that lie even from their ass. Yeah GEJ has his lapses, but nobody living in Nigeria will dispute the fact that electricity has greatly improved under GEJ administration. OBJ wasted 8 years and 18 billion US Dollars without adding a single kilowat. Learn to praise people when/where they are praise worthy.

GEJ is not perfect, but in the areas of electricity, infrastructure etc he has done better than his predecessors.

The target that's now not achievable was set by APC? was set by who? Not your clueless GEJ?
Take responsibility for your failures. No embellishment, no ornamentation, what's bad has no fair description.
GEJ is a failure.

28 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Tolexander: 5:09am On May 02, 2013
All these electricity improvements i hear daily are just here. The electricity distribution in my district is just going from grace to grass daily even with the claimed additional generation of the MW generated.

There are some things that are logically infeasible, going by our national standard.
For how many years did they spend generating this claimed 4000MW of electricity?
It is very insane coming to tell us by december, they would be generating 10000MW of electricity.

2 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Nobody: 5:12am On May 02, 2013
Tolexander: All these electricity improvements i hear daily are just here. The electricity distribution in my district is just going from grace to grass daily even with the claimed additional generation of the MW generated.

There are some things that are logically infeasible, going by our national standard.
For how many years did they spend generating this claimed 4000MW of electricity?
It is very insane coming to tell us by december, they would be generating 10000MW of electricity.

You dey mind them? They would rather market lies than reality. Where is the electricity improvement now? What they called improvement was a seasonal rise in water level. It happens every year.

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by freebloke: 8:15am On May 02, 2013
ok nah!
Maybi dem guys wey dey read weather don yarn dem say rain no go fall plenty dis yar.
No shaking! my generator dey 24/7 always generating and supplying power till further notice...
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by juman(m): 9:01am On May 02, 2013
How did we arrive in this bad situation of less than 4,000 MW of electricity in 52 years??

How much megawatt/kilowatt generated by each former president/head of state??

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Afrocatalyst: 9:46am On May 02, 2013
IMHO, I dnt see anytin wrong in wat Nebo said. I think its time we start telling Nigerians the truth whether its ṣweet to the ear or nt. I want to believe wat has been said.

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Paentera(m): 9:49am On May 02, 2013
lol. This reminds me of Vision 2000 back in IBB's days. It was never realised.

3 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by IGBOSON1: 9:49am On May 02, 2013
No wahala.....i'll settle for 9,500 megatwatts then!
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Lilimax(f): 9:50am On May 02, 2013
These people are just chasing after shadows
Too bad angry angry

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by gysl1973: 9:50am On May 02, 2013
Na them know, thank God say i go soon commot go my fatherland, i don tire for this my step father Nigeria
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by pmc01(m): 9:54am On May 02, 2013
As if we didn't know that before now. Why must all these target date lies for stable electricity be recycled over and over.
This is not about unnecessary criticism of any particular Government leaving the power situation better or worse, it is about sincerity and decency.
Why raise our hopes each time with empty promises? Just do what you have to do without making us feel like tennis balls.

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by yuzedo: 9:54am On May 02, 2013
Wow! First time a government official is [size=18pt]NOT[/size] giving us some balderdash December power-target pipe-dream! shocked shocked shocked

Well done Nebo, perhaps this really is the power sector messiah!

5 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by otokx(m): 10:03am On May 02, 2013
It is good to be realistic and say the truth
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Nobody: 10:07am On May 02, 2013
I like the trend the new minister is following abi na setting.

He is basically telling it as it is. Same way he was upfront with the planned power outage last month.

I think Joe Boy has got the right hands in the power ministry. . .barth Nnaji and now Nebo.

I think we need to listen to this guy and pay less attention to other entities including Joe boy himself

2 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by groovie(m): 10:09am On May 02, 2013
Prof Corruption:

You dey mind them? They would rather market lies than reality. Where is the electricity improvement now? What they called improvement was a seasonal rise in water level. It happens every year.

My man i know you have been educated times without number on this forum that the bulk of electricity in nigeria is gas generated no?

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by juman(m): 10:11am On May 02, 2013
Paentera: lol. This reminds me of Vision 2000 back in IBB's days. It was never realised.

That time IBB thought year 2000 was like eternal. Alas we are in 2013 with multitude of problems. The country foundation is faulty.

2 Likes

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by thelastPope(m): 10:14am On May 02, 2013
pmc01: As if we didn't know that before now. Why must all these target date lies for stable electricity be recycled over and over.
This is not about unnecessary criticism of any particular Government leaving the power situation better or worse, it is about sincerity and decency.
Why raise our hopes each time with empty promises? Just do what you have to do without making us feel like tennis balls.

What is the difference between December 2013 and first quarter of 2014? The minister is just trying not to give unreliable specific dates. What dont you understand there? He did say that we will get something close. Some of you just post like you are not educated. No offense

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by dridowu: 10:14am On May 02, 2013
I dnt need any minister to tell me that 9ja will not 10kmw by decemba
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by hikmoj(m): 10:15am On May 02, 2013
Na leaders we get so?in d first instance who dosnt knw dat they're foolin us.d contry struglin wit 4000mgw wil jst jump over9t 2 10000.if they anounced power outage dey wont fail d promise,but since they've bn promisin power stability na power disabiltity we dey see o!

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Afam4eva(m): 10:17am On May 02, 2013
We need more truthful people like Chinedu Nebo.

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by AMvanquish: 10:18am On May 02, 2013
They should stop setting this target of a thing. Me feels they should just shut up and do their job! Targets that are always being pushed back for how many years now. Surprise us and get the job done instead giving false hope. And who isthat sying Power is better? Speak for yourself. Well, my generator doesn't let me down.

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by fitzmayowa: 10:19am On May 02, 2013
lobatan

1 Like

Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by bockey(m): 10:28am On May 02, 2013
That minister should just tell us the challenges and not mere speculations. Is the challenge money, personnel or what. We have been hearing this same thing for years now.
Re: 10,000MW Not Realisable By December - Nebo by Nobody: 10:29am On May 02, 2013
Ride on NEBO, we are still alive despite the uninterrupted power outage.

We won't blame you, we would blame GEJ. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ombatse Vs Taal: Eggon Man Opinion About The Crisis / Biafra : IPOB Demands Release Of Nnamdi Kanu At The UN Office Geneva(see Photos) / Realities Of War (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.