Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Atheism Is Another Religion - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is Another Religion (1594 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. / A Lot Of Stories And Verses In The Bible Were Copied From Another Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 9:44am On May 19, 2013
ooman:

yea so don't tell me man was created free.

dumb xtians

Olodo!

Did anyone force you to an Atheist?
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by ooman(m): 10:49am On May 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Olodo!

Did anyone force you to an Atheist?

not someone but something, evolution.

do you not know all that decisions are influenced by external factors??

dumb xtians - give me a reason to stop saying that - its almost become my signature.

but still ...... dumb xtians
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 10:53am On May 19, 2013
ooman:

not someone but something, evolution.

do you not know all that decisions are influenced by external factors??

dumb xtians - give me a reason to stop saying that - its almost become my signature.

but still ...... dumb xtians

Not until you give me a reason to stop calling you olodo!
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by ooman(m): 12:44pm On May 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Not until you give me a reason to stop calling you olodo!

because you have no base on which to claim that
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by PastorAIO: 12:59pm On May 19, 2013
Yin and Yang. every belief is a disbelief in something else. If I believe it's 3 o'clock then I don't believe that it is 7 o'clock.

Like someone said, to believe in Jesus automatically makes you an atheist as for as the Religion of Jupiter in the roman empire is concerned. And indeed the early christians were considered to be atheists by the Romans.

One such remembrance in the form of a story related in a letter from one Christian group to others is the Martyrdom of Polycarp (written in the decades following Polycarp’s death in the 160s CE). It is here that we find the explicit charge of atheism. The angry crowds shout out “away with the atheists!” in reference to the Christians. And, when Polycarp is brought before the Roman governor (proconsul) of Asia for final trial, Polycarp turns the accusation on his accusers (something more than “I know you are but what am I” is going on):

“Therefore, when he was brought before him, the proconsul asked if he were Polycarp. And when he confessed that he was, the proconsul tried to persuade him to recant saying, ‘Have respect for your age,’ and other such thngs as they are accustomed to say: ‘Swear by the Genius [guardian spirit] of Caesar; repent, say, ‘Away with the atheists!’ So Polycarp solemnly looked at the whole crowd of lawless heathen who were in the stadium, motioned toward them with his hand, and then (groaning as he looked up to heaven) said, ‘Away with the atheists!’” (Mart. Poly. 9.2; trans. by J.B. Lightfoot and J.R. Harmer and revised by Michael W. Holmes, The Apostolic Fathers [Grand Rapids: Baker, 1992]).
http://www.philipharland.com/Blog/2007/11/09/breaking-news-early-christians-were-impious-atheists/
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by ooman(m): 1:05pm On May 19, 2013
the above is nothing but common sense. I love your logic, but this doesn't make atheism a religion.

a religion has a system of gods who get worshipped, we dont worship things, at most, we study them.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by PastorAIO: 1:10pm On May 19, 2013
ooman: the above is nothing but common sense. I love your logic, but this doesn't make atheism a religion.

a religious has a system of gods who get worshipped, we dont worship things, at most, we study them.

That's in your definition of religion. No wahala. However you realise that you are excluding (some forms of) Buddhism. What would you call buddhism according to your definition?

I would like to make a collection of all the definitions of Religion that are out there.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by ooman(m): 1:20pm On May 19, 2013
Pastor AIO:

That's in your definition of religion. No wahala. However you realise that you are excluding (some forms of) Buddhism. What would you call buddhism according to your definition?

I would like to make a collection of all the definitions of Religion that are out there.

Only 3

belief in Gods

Worship of Gods

An important interest that influence your life. eg your career.
Oxford Dictionary

note that in the third meaning atheism is not included because then, being a teacher, a pastor, a footballer, a newscaster would therefore be different religions too.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 2:23pm On May 19, 2013
ooman:

Only 3

belief in Gods

Worship of Gods

An important interest that influence your life. eg your career.
Oxford Dictionary

note that in the third meaning atheism is not included because then, being a teacher, a pastor, a footballer, a newscaster would therefore be different religions too.

Olodo!

Oxford dictionary http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/religion

religion
Pronunciation: /rɪˈlɪdʒ(ə)n/

1) the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods: ideas about the relationship between science and religion.

2) a particular system of faith and worship: the world’s great religions

3) a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion: consumerism is the new religion

If your interest (Atheism) is followed with great devotion (like you do on nairaland) then definition (3) applies to you.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by PastorAIO: 3:15pm On May 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Olodo!

Oxford dictionary http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/religion

religion
Pronunciation: /rɪˈlɪdʒ(ə)n/

1) the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods: ideas about the relationship between science and religion.

2) a particular system of faith and worship: the world’s great religions

3) a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion: consumerism is the new religion

If your interest (Atheism) is followed with great devotion (like you do on nairaland) then definition (3) applies to you.
lol
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 19, 2013
striktlymi:
If your interest (Atheism) is followed with great devotion (like you do on nairaland) then definition (3) applies to
you.
Can theism be considered a religion? Deism?
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 19, 2013
musKeeto:
Can theism be considered a religion? Deism?

Hallo Musky...

What 'is', is different from what 'can'...

Deism in it's pure form 'is' not a religion, but 'can' it become a religion? The answer is YES!

If a Deist goes about his Deism like ooman goes about his Atheism then that Deist is into religion.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 4:42pm On May 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Hallo Musky...

Deism in it's pure form 'is' not a religion, but 'can' it become a religion? The answer is YES!

If a Deist goes about his Deism like ooman goes about his Atheism then that Deist is into religion.

So the deist becomes or acts 'religious'; atheism, deism, or theism can not be termed religions.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 5:10pm On May 19, 2013
musKeeto:

So the deist becomes or acts 'religious'; atheism, deism, or theism can not be termed religions.

No!

Check definition (3) again...the 'pursuit' is the religion. If that pursuit is Atheism then it becomes your religion.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 6:04pm On May 19, 2013
striktlymi:

No!

Check definition (3) again...the 'pursuit' is the religion. If that pursuit is Atheism then it becomes your religion.
Then, any pursuit can be termed a religion.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 19, 2013
musKeeto:
Then, any pursuit can be termed a religion.

If done in line with definition (3) then yes!

Music can be someone's religion too...
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Then you are pointless.....anything can be a religion and as such, you have stretched the meaning of "religion".
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 6:24pm On May 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

Then you are pointless.....anything can be a religion and as such, you have stretched the meaning of "religion".

Tell that to your oxford dictionary.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Tell that to your oxford dictionary.

lol....empty barrel! grin grin

Wassap striky? I seem to have been getting under your skin lately?
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

lol....empty barrel! grin grin

Wassap striky? I seem to have been getting under your skin lately?

You wish!
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by ooman(m): 9:32pm On May 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Hallo Musky...

How exactly do I go about my atheism?

I do my things just the way a serious minded person would go about his business. Remember that whatsoever your hand find doing, do it with all your power and might.

if atheism is my religion, then evolution, music, research, reading, debates also are my religion.

heck am a pantheist.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 9:42pm On May 19, 2013
ooman:

How exactly do I go about my atheism?

I do my things just the way a serious minded person would go about his business. Remember that whatsoever your hand find doing, do it with all your power and might.

if atheism is my religion, then evolution, music, research, reading, debates also are my religion.

heck am a pantheist.

I believe you get the point...

You are no Pantheist...
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by ooman(m): 9:53pm On May 19, 2013
striktlymi:

I believe you get the point...

You are no Pantheist...

I believe when I say am a pantheist, you understand I mean am an omnitheist, meaning I believe in all Gods, since I do my businesses diligently.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 10:34pm On May 19, 2013
ooman:

I believe when I say am a pantheist, you understand I mean am an omnitheist, meaning I believe in all Gods, since I do my businesses diligently.

Oya guy choose one: Atheism, Deism, Pantheism, Omnitheism, Agnosticism etc and stick to it, I am getting foncused man.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Good.

Music on its own can't be termed a religion. Neither theism or atheism. or Bodybuilding. grin

But Christianity and Islam stand on their own as religions. The pursuit to serve a higher purpose or calling is inherent in them. That's what I've been driving at.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by ooman(m): 12:06am On May 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Oya guy choose one: Atheism, Deism, Pantheism, Omnitheism, Agnosticism etc and stick to it, I am getting foncused man.

Duh!!! aren't you the one claiming am religious??

If atheism is my religion then so is everything I do diligently, including s.ex and romance and flirting tongue
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 7:16am On May 20, 2013
musKeeto:
Good.

Music on its own can't be termed a religion. Neither theism or atheism. or Bodybuilding. grin

Apply the bold to the comment above...

striktlymi:

Hallo Musky...

striktlymi:
But Christianity and Islam stand on their own as religions. The pursuit to serve a higher purpose or calling is inherent in them. That's what I've been driving at.

The above is not in dispute.
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 7:17am On May 20, 2013
ooman:

Duh!!! aren't you the one claiming am religious??

If atheism is my religion then so is everything I do diligently, including s.ex and romance and flirting tongue

Guy Atheism is your religion...
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by Nobody: 10:23am On May 20, 2013
ooman:

yea, so is sex. my d,ick is my God.

That's your ish man!
Re: Atheism Is Another Religion by ooman(m): 10:16pm On May 20, 2013
striktlymi:

That's your ish man!

that's my religion

(1) (2) (Reply)

At 70, Men Still Run After Me – Rev. Margaret Idahosa / Is There A Need For The Saviour? / Pastor Charges $20 To Check If Your Name Is In The Book Of Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.