Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life (9914 Views)

Two Nigeria’s Refineries To Restart Production Before End Of Dec. 2015 –minister / Nigerian Refineries To Resume Production In July 2015 / Sijuade, Akure : Massive Roar When Result Announced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by koruji(m): 2:28am On May 04, 2013
Told by the GMD of NNPC...
...to the Senate Panel on the Subsidy Palaver.

He was explaining what happens to the 445000 bbls/day allocated to NNPC for domestic consumption. His breakdown:
220,000 = refined abroad as a swap deal
170,000 = refined locally
65,000 = doesn't know where it goes.

This is some "GREAT" country we have here when our national oil company cannot account for almost 24 million barrels of oil in one year.

http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/nnpc-gets-largest-chunk-fuel-subsidy
The Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has admitted earning a large chunk of the subsidy funds the federal government say was siphoned by a certain “cabal”.

The Group Managing Director of NNPC, Austine Oniwon, on Monday admitted before the senate panel investigating the management of Nigeria’s fuel subsidy that his organisation has earned N2.157 trillion from the subsidy funds since 2006, making it the largest beneficiary of the scheme.

Last week, the senate panel had named a group of businesses the government fondly calls “The Cabal” and blames for the failure of the subsidy scheme.

Despite the huge earnings from the subsidy scheme, Oniwon could not account for the daily utilisation of 65,000 barrels of the crude oil allocations to NNPC. He told the senate committee that he was uninformed as to the whereabouts of 65,000 barrels out of the 445,000 barrels of crude allocated to NNPC daily.

According to him, NNPC entered into a swap deal – crude for refined PMS - with three refineries for 210,000 barrels per day, while 170,000 barrels are refined by local refineries daily.

On the whereabouts of the balance of 65,000 barrels per day - crude oil worth $6.5 million per day - the GMD begged the senate panel for time to find out its utilisation and report back to the committee.

Members of the committee had earlier alleged that NNPC shares the missing crude with a private oil company, an allegation Oniwon said he was not aware of.

He also failed to give an account of the volume and value of PMS it receives in return for its various swap deals.
“Definitely, it (volume of PMS received in exchange for a barrel of crude) is available but I don’t have the figures to give you,” he told the lawmakers.

The senate panel has, for three weeks, tried unsatisfactorily to reconcile arguments proffered on why the cost of fuel subsidy was exceedingly high this year.

The probe was started after Senator Bukola Saraki moved a motion calling for the probe of the sharp rise in expenditure on the scheme this year. N256 billion was budgeted for the subsidy scheme this year, but records show that N1.46 trillion has so far been spent on the scheme.

Rossikk:
Told by whom? Where is your source for this claim? Any links we can click on?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by koruji(m): 2:32am On May 04, 2013
You guys are funny.
No one can claim "govt. propaganda"?
I won't even border to say more.

Rossikk:
Thanks. This is what we we call first-hand, corroborative testimony and evidence from an independent eyewitness source.
Now no one can claim it's just ''govt propaganda''. cool

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by koruji(m): 2:37am On May 04, 2013
Probably the fuels being produced by "Nigerian refineries"!!!!
I just do not trust GEJ anymore.
Sorry o!!!

http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/14-fuel-laden-ships-discharge-lagos-ports

[size=14pt]14 fuel-laden ships to discharge at Lagos Ports[/size]

The Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) on Friday that about 13 ships were waiting to discharge petroleum products at the various oil terminals within the Lagos Ports.

The NPA announced this in its daily publication, the Shipping Position in Lagos.

The publication reported that six of the 14 ships would discharge petrol; two would discharge diesel, five kerosene and one bulk gas.

According to the publication, two other ships will discharge bulk wheat and bulk malt.

It also said that 110 ships, carrying different cargoes, would sail into the ports between May 3 and May 28.

The publication said that 13 of the ships would arrive with petroleum products, while 24 would sail in with new and used vehicles.

It said that 43 other ships would arrive with containers and others with general cargoes, bulk fertiliser, bulk wheat, fresh fish, bulk salt, crude palm oil, base oil, bulk sugar, bulk Soya, bulk gypsum and bulk cement.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Kairoseki77: 3:41am On May 04, 2013
Koruji, that's too harsh oooo!
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by nuclearboy(m): 3:58am On May 04, 2013
Michaeljones36: Koruji, that's too harsh oooo!

Yes Harsh, but with the amount of lies and propaganda, one starts to wonder

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Dibiachukwu: 6:13am On May 04, 2013
Good developement. Now set up a responsible security apparatus to guard the refineries like they guard the pipelines.
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by ba7man(m): 7:29am On May 04, 2013
Nice one by the GEJ administration considering the fact that past Govts ignored those refineries. I just pray it results in a decrease in fuel pump prices in the end.....But it seems @Koruji is on to somthing serious with his post. Hmmmm....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by awodman: 8:45am On May 04, 2013
koruji: Told by the GMD of NNPC...
...to the Senate Panel on the Subsidy Palaver.

He was explaining what happens to the 445000 bbls/day allocated to NNPC for domestic consumption. His breakdown:
220,000 = refined abroad as a swap deal
170,000 = refined locally
65,000 = doesn't know where it goes.

This is some "GREAT" country we have here when our national oil company cannot account for almost 24 million barrels of oil in one year.

U said we where told 13 million litres is been refined before and Rossike asked for a link...now looking @ ur analysis I can't see where 13 million litres is stated..or is 170,000 barrels equal to 13 million litres??..
Considering your second post,its a common knowledge that ships tk a long time(say months) on the sea before the finally berth.So it doesn't necessarily mean that if govt is expecting an improvement in refining capacity it shouldn't still pursue existing ways

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 9:06am On May 04, 2013
Yea, GEJ is working haters are crying... What news is better than the one above on my birthday?
Happy birthday to me...
Godbless mr president!
Godbless nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Maxymilliano(m): 9:19am On May 04, 2013
awodman:
U said we where told 13 million litres is been refined before and Rossike asked for a link...now looking @ ur analysis I can't see where 13 million litres is stated..or is 170,000 barrels equal to 13 million litres??..

I was equally searching for the 13 million liters he claimed earlier but seems the search engines did not support his imaginary figure, hence the need for the additional irrelevant news, just to be seeing as making a point.

@Op, nice efforts by all concerned, the multiplier effect of such laudable developments can never be quantified, but until a greater degree of self-sufficiency is attain, where importation of refined crude become less lucrative and domestic price is determine through the inter play of market forces, the path to sustainable development in the oil sector will still be a mirage.

Nonetheless, a journey of thousand miles always begin with a step and this is a step in the right direction ...

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by toshacer: 10:02am On May 04, 2013
These type of stories give some people stomach ache and head ache.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 10:09am On May 04, 2013
Nice one Gej, really nice. Like i always say, when u do good, i will commend u, but when u are naughty, i will lash u.... Nice one.

Btw, i guess no need to pay subsidy money to anybody... And since it is now locally manufactured, we can get 40 naira per litre.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by pheesayor(m): 10:10am On May 04, 2013
Buhari was involved in the esablishment of these refineries, two as Obasanjo's oil minister and one as head of state.
No intention of derailing the thread, just a reminder

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Soso990240(m): 10:20am On May 04, 2013
braine: Lol at the 'roar' in the topic. The refineries have been functional for three months and the improvement can not be seen in the common man, so whats the use?
u knw 1 thng about hatin?it runs in d vain..even wen d person is obviously d best 4 nw.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by anonimi: 10:21am On May 04, 2013
Talking about the MULTIPLIER effect of this development, has anyone noticed that banks are recruiting again after so many years of laying off staff
And slowly INDUSTRIES will replace trading and commerce.

GEJ may be slow and not charismatic BUT he sure knows how to get the economy back on track.
Meanwhile he has not failed to honour the pledge of N18,000 minimum wage with regular payment unlike the "progressive opposition".

He needs to seriously explore ways of gradually privatising the downstream petroleum sector, including refineries.
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Soso990240(m): 10:26am On May 04, 2013
Dis is gud news..d guy neva finish 1 tenure nah..if haterz like make dm sleep 4 highway,me go match dm pass.dis guy has perform more dan d rest we had(nt all though)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Soso990240(m): 10:28am On May 04, 2013
ba7man: Nice one by the GEJ administration considering the fact that past Govts ignored those refineries. I just pray it results in a decrease in fuel pump prices in the end.....But it seems @Koruji is on to somthing serious with his post. Hmmmm....
they ignored it because they hav their own percentage on d ones refined abroad.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by otunbacymbal(m): 10:30am On May 04, 2013
i never believed let me ask my oga at the top cheesy
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Lawalkay(m): 10:33am On May 04, 2013
Rossikk or wetin be that your name self. Yr source said 5.3m of kerosene daily abi. Now my question. How many filling station get kerosene for your area ? Abi the product na for export. My bros don"t be deceive . All ma wash. Up naija 4 wash. I have always used this forum to advise GEJ and his owambe party members that the mases of over 159million out of our population of 160million will one day do more than the mases of tunisia, egypt, libyan put together. Where is sadam, ben hallim, mubarak and muamar ghadafi? The end shall tell. God bless the United State of Niger Delta. That is a message 4 another day. Up Naija.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by GentleNaaz(m): 10:40am On May 04, 2013
GEJ is a slow n steady man. If we gv ds man mor years, naija wud b competing wt develped countries in terms of presidntial transparency, economy up-bringing, steady developmnt, employmnt oportunities, credibility, etc

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by billante(m): 10:40am On May 04, 2013
And the turn around of the refineries have not even been done yet and they have already start performing well...just imagine when their TAM has been completed by next year with their full 450,000 combined capacity producing at full rate added with when dangote planned 450,000 barrels comes on stream, the country will be washed with refined products....

Even if subsidy is removed then, fuel price will still be dropping because even if dangote says he wont reduce his price, govt refineries will be selling at a lower price cause they dont have greedy shareholders to churn out millions of profit to, definitely dangote will be forced to bring down his price or he will start declaring loss.....All to benefit of the masses

No sane human being can say this present govt is a total failure, Pls let be truthful for once it wont make u go impotent.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:43am On May 04, 2013
koruji: Another of those mental gymnastics coming out Aso Rock. Roar back? Were the refineries whispering forward when we were told they produce 13 million litres per day during the fuel subsidy debate in late 2011?

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 10:44am On May 04, 2013
Okay, we are moving in the right direction.
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by FrankC3: 10:54am On May 04, 2013
Lawalkay: Rossikk or wetin be that your name self. Yr source said 5.3m of kerosene daily abi. Now my question. How many filling station get kerosene for your area ? Abi the product na for export. My bros don"t be deceive . All ma wash. Up naija 4 wash. I have always used this forum to advise GEJ and his owambe party members that the mases of over 159million out of our population of 160million will one day do more than the mases of tunisia, egypt, libyan put together. Where is sadam, ben hallim, mubarak and muamar ghadafi? The end shall tell. God bless the United State of Niger Delta. That is a message 4 another day. Up Naija.

Really? This is not Ojota bus-stop or beer parlor where data are pulled out from the air to support any loud opinion. Where is your source? The fact is that our refinery are getting back to their feet after years of lying comatose, so are our rail roads.

And for your celebration of the so called Egyptian, Tunisian and Lybian 'revolution', tell me, between the leaders that was deposed and the citizens, who are better off today? What has the 'revolution' brought them? Is Lybia better today than it was under Ghadaffi? And is Egypt better today? Don't talk out of exuberance. Think through your opinions.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by mitnick(m): 10:57am On May 04, 2013
As this refinery of a thing reduces unemployment in the past three months?
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by QingQamal: 11:17am On May 04, 2013
How can 3 refineries be working at 60% capacity, and yet no impact onthe price of fuel. If dey are sure d refineries are working , y budget another large amount for subsidy in d budget? Or is it another subsidy scam? We know dat d reason for the high price of petroleum product is because of importation, then if it is refined locally, y still pay so high for the product and still subsidize? All questions begging for answers dat may neva come.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by cecegorz(m): 11:22am On May 04, 2013
Are you kidding me?
So where are these products, export ONLY?
I wish I took a picture of the sight at one NNPC gas station I passed yesterday.
To be fair, there were no less than 500 empty 25Lt cans lined up from the inner pumps up to along the main road, with a teeming crowd of women and young folks, waiting for 'till God knows when' to get the kerosene.
Pray tell, is there a problem in the supply chain?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by soma042(m): 11:27am On May 04, 2013
braine: Lol at the 'roar' in the topic. The refineries have been functional for three months and the improvement can not be seen in the common man, so whats the use?

you are jst a hindrance to what i call progress.
your kind should be fished out and you no the nest thing that follows\
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by bigtt76(f): 11:29am On May 04, 2013
We de watch ....what goes up must come down. Na so power generation peak, now e don de-peak. Ewu PDP

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by manny4life(m): 11:32am On May 04, 2013
This is good development, but like someone stated, privatization is the best.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by ABsI1: 11:50am On May 04, 2013
Yet we pay the same price for both. i.e 97Naira/litre for d impored pms and same 97Naira/litre for d locally produced. Some guys are making extra billions/day into private treasuries@ nnpc. Allison madueke i bow for u and ur manfriend o!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by vizboy(m): 11:59am On May 04, 2013
Nice development. But what i want most is for that PIB bill to the passed into law and all these refinery privatize

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Conduct Of Imo, Kogi, Bayelsa Polls, A Major Setback – Situation Room / Anambra Market Association Endorse Ngige For Governor / Buhari Assured Us Of Free, Fair 2019 Polls — UN, ECOWAS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.