Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,615 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:55 PM

Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? (27718 Views)

Korean Films Vs Hollywood/American Films, Which Do You Like More / Nollywood vs Hollywood? Please Spare Me! / Nollywood vs Hollywood: Which Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 8:35pm On May 23, 2013
VillageBoi:

I'm not talking about it but the only 'edge' I think Hollywood has is their lion share of the 'world cinema market'. You do have to give them props for knowing how to strike deals that gave them a bit of a monopoly on cinemas. Can't remember when that started doing it but when Europe was busy fighting the World Wars the US was signing contracts to collect cinema birth-rights all over the place anyhow lol. They KNOW the business of marketing... simple!
This has more to do with business acumen than quality of work. In terms of quality, i'm yet to see how Hollywood supercedes Bollywood. Forget the fact that India has not sold their movies to the world like America and also forget the fact that Hindi is spoken in most Indian movies. If it were in the 90s, i would have given it to Hollywood but in new millenia, Bollywood has done what many termed impossible for Non-Hollywood movies.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by VillageBoi(m): 8:38pm On May 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
This has more to do with business acumen than quality of work.

Absolutely! However, to keep on making films you have to make money and no one does it like Hollywood. We all want to be artists but we will be doomed without superb business acumen.
Oh and Hollywood does make some terrible sh*te; they are also the best at that - fact. lol!
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 23, 2013
VillageBoi:

I'm not talking about it but the only 'edge' I think Hollywood has is their lion share of the 'world cinema market'. You do have to give them props for knowing how to strike deals that gave them a bit of a monopoly on cinemas. Can't remember when that started doing it but when Europe was busy fighting the World Wars the US was signing contracts to collect cinema birth-rights all over the place anyhow lol. They KNOW the business of marketing... simple!

Now! This is an edge cool
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by VillageBoi(m): 9:02pm On May 23, 2013
speedyboi:
Now! This is an edge cool

That's one reason why we really do not want hollywood getting involved in Nollywood... they are cut-throat business people.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by semid4lyfe(m): 12:00am On May 24, 2013
Seriously, I can't believe this is up for debate and to make matters worse, Afam says their action films are "top notch" and even goes on to mention movies like Dhoom , Don etc lol. grin

If there's a film genre in which the gap between Hollywood & Bollywood movies is so glaring, it's the action film genre.

I've seen Dhoom 1 & 2, Don 1 & 2 (a rip-off of Face-Off), Agneepath, Wanted, Players (a rip-off of The Italian Job & Tower Heist), Dabangg 1 & 2, Agent Vinod, Blood Money, Robot, Ra-One, The Bodyguard etc and I wasn't impressed.

Hollywood movies are generally better in all aspects - originality, Story/Plot, Dialogue, Characters development, Cinematography, Acting performances, Visual & Sound effects, Plot Progressions, stunts & choreography, use of subtlety, Twists & Surprises, Climax . . .name it.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 12:05am On May 24, 2013
semid4lyfe: Seriously, I can't believe this is up for debate and to make matters worse, Afam says their action films are "top notch" and even goes on to mention movies like Dhoom , Don etc lol. grin

If there's a film genre in which the gap between Hollywood & Bollywood movies is so glaring, it's the action film genre. I've seen Dhoom 1 & 2, Don 1 & 2 (a rip-off of Face-Off), Agneepath, Wanted, Players (a rip-off of The Italian Job & Tower Heist), Dabangg 1 & 2, Agent Vinod, Blood Money, Robot, Ra-One, The Bodyguard etc and I wasn't impressed.

Hollywood movies are generally better in all aspects - Story/Plot, Dialogue, Characters development, Cinematography, Acting performances, Visual & Sound effects, Plot Progressions, stunts & choreography, use of subtlety, Twists & Surprises, Climax . . .name it.

This can only be true if you're using hollywood standard to judge both movies. American action movies these days can be so stale and a repetition of what we've been seeing for years. But Bollywood boasts of the best storylines and interpretation. Have you seen Krish, Kol Mi gaya, Indian, Fanaa and the list goes on. The twist and turn of these movies plus their action dexterity trounces a lot of movies in Hollywood imo.

Btw, how's DON a rip-off of "face off"? They're not connected in anyway.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:29am On May 24, 2013
semid4lyfe: Seriously, I can't believe this is up for debate and to make matters worse, Afam says their action films are "top notch" and even goes on to mention movies like Dhoom , Don etc lol. grin

If there's a film genre in which the gap between Hollywood & Bollywood movies is so glaring, it's the action film genre.

I've seen Dhoom 1 & 2, Don 1 & 2 (a rip-off of Face-Off), Agneepath, Wanted, Players (a rip-off of The Italian Job & Tower Heist), Dabangg 1 & 2, Agent Vinod, Blood Money, Robot, Ra-One, The Bodyguard etc and I wasn't impressed.

Hollywood movies are generally better in all aspects - originality, Story /Plot, Dialogue, Characters development, Cinematography, Acting performances, Visual & Sound effects, Plot Progressions, stunts & choreography, use of subtlety, Twists & Surprises, Climax . . .name it.

That's more like it smiley. I wouldn't have crossed 'twists and surprises', but i just thought to myself: 'Is there any twist or surprises Hollywood movies will pull on me that will freak me? or that i wouldn't have seen before in a different movie?'. I don't think there is.

I can't really say anything about Bollywood movies (I've not even watched any of the movies you guys are citing). But a Bollywood movie i watched recently (after so many years) changed my perception. I will still say they are on the same level with me personally.

but i can't really say much....make i just sit down for one corner lipsrsealed
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:31am On May 24, 2013
Mind you, I personally hate action movies! Thank you
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by prof800(m): 12:39am On May 24, 2013

Hollywood movies are generally better in all aspects - originality, Story/Plot, Dialogue, Characters development, Cinematography, Acting performances, Visual & Sound effects, Plot Progressions, stunts & choreography, use of subtlety, Twists & Surprises, Climax . . .name it.

HERO (bollywood renaissance film) was also a rip off of 'Mission Impossible'.
So this is it, there is nothing bad in doing a slight 'remix' (rip off) if the aim is to improve. When bollywood wanted to make cinematic breakthrough in US it started with action movies which were mostly remix of some hollywood films. But then they got better, stopped doing remix and started out with their own plots. Basically, 'they only used the remixes to train themselves'.

Also, remember when the goldendays of naija hiphop (afripop) was about to jump start, in the 90's, most of the contents were mostly remix, yes mostly remix of foreign contents! Then, it metamorphosized into our own style called 'afropop' that we now export abroad. No more remix. The remix then was just a way of learning the trade. Its called transformation.

Bollywood has learnt ALOT from Hollywood- FACT.!
I don't think Hollywood has ANYTHING to learn from Bollywood.

So myfrnd, do the 'one plus one'. And let people who think Bollywood is better than Hollywood keep doing 'one minus one' because na zero them go get.!

1 Like

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by VillageBoi(m): 12:41am On May 24, 2013
prof800:

So this is it, there is nothing bad in doing a slight 'remix' (rip off) if the aim is to improve. When bollywood wanted to make cinematic breakthrough in US it started with action movies which were mostly remix of some hollywood films. But then they got better, stopped doing remix and started out with there own plots. Basically, 'they only used the remixes to train themselves'.

Also, remember when the goldendays of naija hiphop (afripop) was about to jump start, in the 90's, most of the contents were mostly remix, yes mostly remix of foreign contents! Then, it metamorphosized into our own style called 'afropop' that we now export abroad. No more remix. The remix then was just a way of learning the trade. Its called transformation.

So myfrnd, do the 'one plus one'. And let people who think Bollywood is better than Hollywood keep doing 'one minus one' because na zero them go get.!

Very nicely put. That the showed me a different way of looking at it. Thumbs up for that.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 12:43am On May 24, 2013
prof800:

So this is it, there is nothing bad in doing a slight 'remix' (rip off) if the aim is to improve. When bollywood wanted to make cinematic breakthrough in US it started with action movies which were mostly remix of some hollywood films. But then they got better, stopped doing remix and started out with there own plots. Basically, 'they only used the remixes to train themselves'.

Isn't it normal for Bollywood to have learned from Hollywood since Hollywood predates it and it the de-facto movie industry in the world...The funny thing is that i even prefered those Indian equivalents of those American movies because they were deeper.

Hollywood has a lot to learn from Bollywood especially in the area of dialogues and intrigues. Bollwyood supercedes Hollywood in these areas. I also find Bollywood movies so interesting because of the richness of cultures in the movies.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:46am On May 24, 2013
prof800:

So this is it, there is nothing bad in doing a slight 'remix' (rip off) if the aim is to improve. When bollywood wanted to make cinematic breakthrough in US it started with action movies which were mostly remix of some hollywood films. But then they got better, stopped doing remix and started out with their own plots. Basically, 'they only used the remixes to train themselves'.

But when you learn from someone, most people become better than their teachers. So i hereby render your point invalid tongue tongue undecided
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:47am On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
Isn't it normal for Bollywood to have learned from Hollywood since Hollywood predates it and it the de-facto movie industry in the world...The funny thing is that i even prefered those Indian equivalents of those American movies because they were deeper.

Hollywood has a lot to learn from Bollywood especially in the area of dialogues and intrigues. Bollwyood supercedes Hollywood in these areas. I also find Bollywood movies so interesting because of the richness of cultures in the movies.

Afam, all your points have been bias/sentimental angry angry angry
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:48am On May 24, 2013
since I can't contribute much. I will be judging on a neutral ground. cool cool cool grin grin cheesy
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 12:50am On May 24, 2013
speedyboi:

Afam, all your points have been bias/sentimental angry angry angry
Of course they have to be. I'm #TeamBollywood
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by VillageBoi(m): 12:52am On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
Hollywood has a lot to learn from Bollywood especially in the area of dialogues.

Hmmmmm I doubt that because we non-Hindi or anything else speakers will NEVER get the fullness of Bollywood dialogue for one; and there is always the possibility that so much is lost in translation.
Hollywood IMO has always written far better dialogue... it is something they are so good at too. It's just the same as comparing Nollywood with Hollywood dialogue - miles apart.
(Remember we're talking about the best dialogue each has to offer)
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 12:56am On May 24, 2013
VillageBoi:

Hmmmmm I doubt that because we non-Hindi or anything else speakers will NEVER get the fullness of Bollywood dialogue for one; and there is always the possibility that so much is lost in translation.
Hollywood IMO has always written far better dialogue... it is something they are so good at too. It's just the same as comparing Nollywood with Hollywood dialogue - miles apart.
(Remember we're talking about the best dialogue each has to offer)
Don't you think Hollywood movies also get lost in translation for non-English speakers too or are we assuming everyone in the world understands English? Btw, if you watch Indian movies a lot you'll realize they translate the what's being said word for word. So, that shouldn't be an issue...The best dialogues i've seen are from Indian movies.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by prof800(m): 1:00am On May 24, 2013
speedyboi:

But when you learn from someone, most people become better than their teachers. So i hereby render your point invalid tongue tongue undecided
hahaha..nice one..i like u.
but without the teachers...(finish it yourself)
Besides; Hollywood no be Bollywood 'teacher' na him 'mentor'. He no teach am anything, the guy took the pain to understudy his mentor..just like ghollywood did for nollywood(history) wey people come dey say ghollywood 'iz better'.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by VillageBoi(m): 1:02am On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
Don't you think Hollywood movies also get lost in translation for non-English speakers too or are we assuming everyone in the world understands English? Btw, if you watch Indian movies a lot you'll realize they translate the what's being said word for word. So, that shouldn't be an issue...The best dialogues i've seen are from Indian movies.

We are 'English' speakers talking about English dialogue so we should not be 'lost' when it comes to Hollywood films... now some British films are harder if one does not know the British well... even the Yanks get lost watching some of them.

On the best dialogue you've 'seen' (as per substitles) being Indian... now you're definitely being sentimental lol... I would date an Indian girl is as far as I'd take it personally grin
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 1:04am On May 24, 2013
VillageBoi:

We are 'English' speakers talking about English dialogue so we should not be 'lost' when it comes to Hollywood films... now some British films are harder if one does not know the British well... even the Yanks get lost watching some of them.

On the best dialogue you've 'seen' (as per substitles) being Indian... now you're definitely being sentimental lol... I would date an Indian girl is as far as I'd take it personally grin
I never mentioned English dialogue. I just said "dialouge" which could be in French, Swahili, Igbo or Yoruba.

I also find it difficult understand English dialogue because my first language is Igbo not English grin
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by VillageBoi(m): 1:09am On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
I never mentioned English dialogue. I just said "dialouge" which could be in French, Swahili, Igbo or Yoruba.

Fair enough but you do realise that we 'Nigerians' get both industries we're talking about here in this thread (Hollywood+Bollywood) in ENGLISH?
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 1:10am On May 24, 2013
prof800:
hahaha..nice one..i like u.
but without the teachers...(finish it yourself)
Besides; Hollywood no be Bollywood 'teacher' na him 'mentor'. He no teach am anything, the guy took the pain to understudy his mentor..
somrone was Past Adeboye's Mentor........Now he is defo better with the packages tongue

prof800: just like ghollywood did for nollywood(history) wey people come dey say ghollywood 'iz better'.
Now you get me.
Technically, we can use this scenerio. Ghana movie story telling is very similar to Nollywood. And they also copy. But they also made sure they improve the lacking part of a typical alaba movie they copy. so The average Ghana Movie is better than the average Nollywood's Alaba movie. But let both industries bring their top 10 best films, Ghana can't definitely stand it. And just like Hollywood, Nollywood have a much wider audience across africa and to some extent, The world. (Or someone should correct me, shey dem dey show Ghana film for UK Cinemas or British film festival? I guess not). So may be you have a point.

At the end of the day, Hollywood is better....someway, somehow cool cool cool cool. Good analysis
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by prof800(m): 1:14am On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:

I also find it difficult understand English dialogue because my first language is Igbo not English grin
oh i see.!
that is an argumentative fallacy called 'bias ad incognito' commited by my people..because a typical ibadan girl doesn't understand 'english' she hates their movies, call them wack, and prefers yoruba shytes.

HOLLYWOOD has the BEST dialogue in the planet and also accounts for some of the worsts.-FACT 2.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by sholay2011(m): 1:41am On May 24, 2013
What's all these? undecided
Abeg...Bollywood isn't better than Hollywood.
Hollywood isn't 'slightly better' than Bollywood.
HOLLYWOOD is miles aheas of BOLLYWOOD! Jeez! It's not too difficult to decipher that. shocked

Many French films sef beat Bollywood but I reserve my comment on that.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 1:46am On May 24, 2013
sholay2011: What's all these? undecided
Abeg...Bollywood isn't better than Hollywood.
Hollywood isn't 'slightly better' than Bollywood.
HOLLYWOOD is miles aheas of BOLLYWOOD! Jeez! It's not too difficult to decipher that. shocked

Many French films sef beat Bollywood but I reserve my comment on that.
When you made bold assertions like these, i expect you to back them up with facts. I think to some of you, because Bollywood doesn't portray the western and Defacto-global culture in their movies, they'll always be below Hollywood.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by sholay2011(m): 2:13am On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
When you made bold assertions like these, i expect you to back them up with facts. I think to some of you, because Bollywood doesn't portray the western and Defacto-global culture in their movies, they'll always be below Hollywood.
I didn't see the need to make any assertion 'cos some previous posters have stated some cogent points on this thread and you're still hell bent on your belief. tongue

But seriously, Hollywood has done almost everything. Is it action, drama, comedy drama, romantic drama, slapstick comedy, biopics, book adaptations, installments, franchises, horror, thriller, horrific thriller grin, musicals, musical dramas and timeless seasonal movies that have graced our screens.

Not to absolve hollywood of its somtyms bullshit, but they are very well at the top of their game, even when their plots are no longer new. They give us those unforgettable script lines (Jack in Titanic: I am the king of the world! Joker in Dark knight:'Whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you...stranger'. Tiffany in Silver Lining Playbook: 'You know what, forget the whole fcking idea because that must have been fxking crazy 'cos I'm so much crazier than you! I am the crazy slut with a dead husband....ah ah ah!'), those unforgetable movie villains and heroes (do I need to start mentioning?), and they are still pushing the boundaries of cinema (lately, all cast members were asked to sing live in the making of 'les miserables', not using the pre recording always associated with singing on-screen, in order for actors to show perfect emotions as they belt out tunes and notes).

One day, Bollywood would exhaust all its 'unique and fresh' plots. Then, I would see what becomes of them.

1 Like

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 2:19am On May 24, 2013
sholay2011:
One day, Bollywood would exhaust all its 'unique and fresh' plots. Then, I would see what becomes of them.
Like Hollywood hasn't exhausted theirs already. Bollywood is already branching out, doing movies in different countries. Bollywood movies of the 70s, 80s and 90s is different from Bollywood of today.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by sholay2011(m): 2:24am On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
Like Hollywood hasn't exhausted theirs already. Bollywood is already branching out, doing movies in different countries. Bollywood movies of the 70s, 80s and 90s is different from Bollywood of today.
Your first statement in your above comment shows you didn't get my post very well. Afam4bollywood grin I wan sleep.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:42am On May 24, 2013
sholay2011:
But seriously, Hollywood has done almost everything. Is it action, drama, comedy drama, romantic drama, slapstick comedy, biopics, book adaptations, installments, franchises, horror, thriller, horrific thriller grin, musicals, musical dramas and timeless seasonal movies that have graced our screens.
Not a big deal.....as its not peculiar to Hollywood alone angry

Not to absolve hollywood of its somtyms bullshit
Its not sometimes, most times (Especially all these recent Hollywood films). Technicalities is always their saving grace (and their Vfx also bleeps up at times sef) . I will say that 'Sometimes' applies to their Good movies...

Now I'm back to my former stand, they are both on the same level with me.

I'm very selective when it comes to Hollywood, just like I am with every other type of movie.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by sholay2011(m): 7:55am On May 24, 2013
speedyboi:
Not a big deal.....as its not peculiar to Hollywood alone angry

Its not sometimes, most times (Especially all these recent Hollywood films). Technicalities is always their saving grace (and their Vfx also bleeps up at times sef) . I will say that 'Sometimes' applies to their Good movies...

Now I'm back to my former stand, they are both on the same level with me.

I'm very selective when it comes to Hollywood, just like I am with every other type of movie.
Na wa for u oh. But I like the way you put it, they are on the same level WITH YOU.

But reality says they are not on the same level. (Don't ask me why tongue).

Pls, lets end this debate here jare. cheesy Ehn-ehn, I just wrote a feature length movie script and I need a filmmaker to buy it (by will or force grin). How do I like 'copywright' my script? If you know, please share with me.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by VillageBoi(m): 8:35am On May 24, 2013
sholay2011:
How do I like 'copywright' my script? If you know, please share with me.

I do all mine with WGA - You don't have to be a member or American or even live in America. - http://www.wgawregistry.org/webrss/
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by sholay2011(m): 9:18am On May 24, 2013
VillageBoi:

I do all mine with WGA - You don't have to be a member or American or even live in America. - http://www.wgawregistry.org/webrss/
Thanks bro. So, you are a script writer, director, filmmaker, maybe producer, visual effects supervisor.....? Respect o!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Seyi Has Been Evicted From The Big Brother House / More Photos From BBNaija 2019 Auditions / What Are Your Most Memorable Scenes From A Nollywood Film?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.