Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,847 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara (1914 Views)

Religion By 2050: In Depth Analysis. / Racism Disguised As Religion, By Ray Hagins / Atheism To Defeat Religion By 2038 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:48am On May 05, 2013
Born in Nigeria in 1981, Adolphus Opara originally worked as a graphic designer for the small but influential Nimbus studio and art gallery in Lagos, a hub for local artists and photographers. "I bought a film camera in early 2005, but I threw it away after a month because the pictures I took were so terrible," he says, laughing. The following year, armed with a digital camera (a Fuji Finepix S3Pro) bought from his friend, the acclaimed Nigerian documentary photographer George Osodi, Opara travelled by road to Senegal and back, "shooting all the way, totally trigger crazy". Looking at the photographs on his return, he realised then that he had a love for photography but "no real understanding of what a series was or how to create one". That came soon afterwards with a project called Rugball, which captured in impressionistic black and white a bunch of young Nigerians on a beach in Lagos playing the rough-and-tumble hybrid game that merges the rules of rugby, basketball, soccer and even wrestling.

Opara describes himself as "first and foremost a storyteller". The stories he tells with his camera have, he says, deepened and widened since he began taking photographs in 2005. "I never plan anything. I follow my instincts and often my projects start off as quite small, intimate explorations that grow into something more. By the end, there is always a bigger story underneath about Nigeria or Africa, about the forces that shape us either from within or from the outside." His most well-known series to date is the grandly titled Emissaries of an Iconic Religion , painterly portraits of the chief priests and diviners of the traditional Yorùbá religion, which was shown as part of a group show, Contested Terrains, at Tate Modern last year . The exhibition focused on "artists working in Africa who explore and subvert narratives about the past and present".

The project began, Opara says, "from a conversation with a friend who was a traditional Christian and, like many Christians, thought that Yorùbá was a bad religion like voodoo. I began to think about how quickly we can leave our beliefs and culture behind us. I visited shrines all around the country and, as people came to trust me, they began to tell their stories. It is a story about Africa's past but also about Africa today. "

One of Opara's ongoing projects is called Shrinking Shores. "It is about where I live, Lagos, and how it has been affected by climate change and oil spills. There are 30 abandoned shipwrecks on our shores and all tell a tale of destruction, of villages destroyed, people displaced."

When asked if he is weary of how Africa is portrayed by photographers from outside the continent, Opara is diplomatic. "As someone who trained and works as a journalist, I can see why people go where there is disaster and war, but there is another Africa, many other Africas."

Is he optimistic for the future of his country? "Well, Nigerians are naturally optimistic, but we can never agree on anything. It is out strength and our weakness. It takes us too long to say, 'This is enough.' There are people who have been in power too long. In a way, we are too tolerant. We need real change. It does not just happen, it needs action to make it happen."

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:49am On May 05, 2013
Missionary activity in Africa, coupled with the recent growth of the Pentecostal movement, have contributed to the widespread misrepresentation of traditional religious practices in Nigeria. Indigenous philosophies and the belief systems that influence daily life have been either ignored or disparaged. Emissaries of an Iconic religion is an ethnographic documentation of people in disappearing traditions and aims to redress this cultural negation.

who says a Babalawo can't be a model or pose for a camera? wink cheesy

Plz enjoy the Photos! cool

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:50am On May 05, 2013
1. Orisa Egbe (deity-of-destiny) Mrs. Osun Yita

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:57am On May 05, 2013

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:59am On May 05, 2013

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:04am On May 05, 2013

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:11am On May 05, 2013
5. Orisa Ayelala (deity of protection) Chief Olasupo Awolowo

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:12am On May 05, 2013

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:14am On May 05, 2013
7. Orisa Imole [deity of defence and judgment] - chief Aderemu Awogemi

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:17am On May 05, 2013
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:19am On May 05, 2013
9.----
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:22am On May 05, 2013
10. Orisa Sanpanaa (diety of measles/disease) Chief Bolanle

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:23am On May 05, 2013
11. Orisa Osun [diety of good of prosperity and of water] Mrs Titilayo Ogunrimu

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:24am On May 05, 2013
12. Orisa Esu [the morning star], Chief Kayode Idowu Esuleke

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:26am On May 05, 2013

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:28am On May 05, 2013

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:33am On May 05, 2013
15. Orisa Lajoomi [diety of children & the young] - Mrs. Ogunremi Lekun

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:36am On May 05, 2013

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:43am On May 05, 2013

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:16am On May 05, 2013
18. Voodoo Festival in Ouidah, Benin.

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:27am On May 05, 2013
ok the thread is ready now!
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by Nobody: 11:08am On May 05, 2013
Was waiting for that Erm erm the last gurl is way too ugly grin grin grin its a girl right?
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by Nobody: 11:10am On May 05, 2013
Are they all Yoruba?
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:11am On May 05, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Was waiting for that Erm erm the last gurl is way too ugly grin grin grin its a girl right?

yes. tongue

dont judge by the looks. wink
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:11am On May 05, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Are they all Yoruba?

yes ofcourse.
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by Nobody: 11:16am On May 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

yes ofcourse.

What do they do concretely?

Are they priests for Yoruba(the ethnic group) , I mean they are here to protect(pray) for the Yoruba people or Their powers know no boundaries?
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by Nobody: 11:16am On May 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

yes. tongue

dont judge by the looks. wink

Eh eh
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:02pm On May 05, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

What do they do concretely?

Are they priests for Yoruba(the ethnic group) , I mean they are here to protect(pray) for the Yoruba people or Their powers know no boundaries?

They are Priests and hold all the ancient knowledge with respect to the deities they are associated with. they have studied this under their masters/teacher. You can say, they are authorities on the rituals, etc., associated with the SPiritual Force they deal with. Yes they pray for the Yoruba people. But I s'pose their Spiritual powers have no boundaries. This is just the Yoruba version of SPiriuality so yeahh.

for e.g., one of my friend had an upcoming exam, so he contacted a Babalawo. he is not Yoruba. The Babalawo told him to prepare a concoction (honey, red oil, salt, etc.). the same was done on the Babalawos side. they did some prayers over it and drank it on the said day on either side and that was to aid him in his examinations. I think the Babalawo invoked Goddess Orunmilla of wisdom/knowledge/studies.

However, every tribe has its own Gods-given Spirituality and it is best to adhere to that for best results.
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by ninja4life(m): 11:53am On May 06, 2013
w0w but most of dis people are old its just a matter of time most of their knowledge are lost thanks to d abrahamic religion.
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:48pm On May 06, 2013
I appreciate your concern. However thankfully, the knowledge of Ifa-Orisha Religion and Vodun is much safer because we have many younger Babalawos and apprentices today. It is the other tribes of Nigeria that have to watch out and stand more of a chance of losing all the ancient knowledge to the abrahamic religion.
Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:53pm On May 10, 2013
Ighogho mask dancer performing in front of a house belonging to O. Aigouba Rueghian. He is the chief priest of Ighogho, a masked dancer that wards off small pox and other dangerous diseases. 1970s

Re: PHOTOS: Emissaries Of An Iconic Religion - By Adolphos Opara by Qkeyxyz: 11:29pm On May 10, 2013
nice thread. I'm quite educated. Well done. smiley

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

An Inspiring Story On The Depth Of Trust A Man Has In God. / Power Against Destiny Manipulators / What Are The Examples Of The Most Horrible Things God Did In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.