Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,985 members, 7,814,358 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. (1242 Views)

Photos From The Unveiling Of Jesus Statue In Imo State / Pastor And Native Doctor Stripped Unclad In Imo / Dunamis Pastor’s Wife Bans Members From Hugging, Pecking In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by PasD(m): 2:17pm On May 05, 2013
Imo state university with effect from 2nd of may have banned all campus fellowships from meeting. Except catholic and Anglican. Also all religious activities have been stopped totally. The only accepted activities in imsu are social and anti social activities. We are in the age where heavy duty satanic agendas are carried out so we need spiritual heavy duty giants to clear them.
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Enegod(m): 3:01pm On May 05, 2013
nice move
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by ooman(m): 3:06pm On May 05, 2013
praise god, god is finally getting out of our schools cheesy
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by EvilBrain1(m): 3:52pm On May 05, 2013
Rubbish!

They should either have banned all religious activity on school grounds, or allowed all of them to operate freely. To allow only Catholics and Anglicans is clear-cut religious discrimination.

Nobody has the right to decide on the validity of any religion or denomination. All the various subtypes of christianity, Islam as well as animism, Buddhism, Eckankar, Scientology, and even devil worship (if such a religion actually exists) are equally valid in the eyes of the Nigerian constitution. No one, and especially not a publicly funded school, should be allowed to favour one over the other.

Somebody needs to sue these clowns!

4 Likes

Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Degis(m): 4:18pm On May 05, 2013
These clowns parading as University Administrators have just stirred the hornet's nest. It is totally uncalled for, discriminatory, unjust and devious. Shame to the Godless slowpokes celebrating this decision
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 05, 2013
If true, great move..

I hope its extended to the Cats and Angels too...

You don't pass Jamb only to go and start leading Holy Ghost revivals on campus.. Smh..
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by EvilBrain1(m): 4:42pm On May 05, 2013
musKeeto: If true, great move..

You don't pass Jamb only to go and start leading Holy Ghost revivals on campus.. Smh..

As ridiculous as campus fellowships may be, we can't allow people to start selectively banning them. Freedom of religion is guaranteed in our constitution and is a basic requirement for any stable multi-religious society.

If we allow this type of nonsense to stand, don't think atheists, agnostics and skeptics will be safe for long. I'm more worried about the bigots in power who introduced this policy than about the clueless prayer warrior students who are its target.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. This time I'm on the side of the clueless prayer warriors.
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 05, 2013
Evil Brain:

As ridiculous as campus fellowships may be, we can't allow people to start selectively banning them. Freedom of religion is guaranteed in our constitution and is a basic requirement for any stable multi-religious society.

If we allow this type of nonsense to stand, don't think atheists, agnostics and skeptics will be safe for long. I'm more worried about the bigots in power who introduced this policy than about the clueless prayer warrior students who are its target.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. This time I'm on the side of the clueless prayer warriors.

I think it's to address the abuse of the 'freedom' on campus.. On some campuses, no empty class/space is spared for vigils and crusades of all sorts. Directives such as this coming from the school administration would help trim down these irrelevant activities.
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 05, 2013
Evil Brain:

Well said.
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 05, 2013
musKeeto: If true, great move..

The last time I checked people are meant to have a freedom of choice.
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 05, 2013
striktlymi:

The last time I checked people are meant to have a freedom of choice.
Does that include the freedom to turn an educational institution to a religious convention?
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 05, 2013
musKeeto:
Does that include the freedom to turn an educational institution to a religious convention?

C'mon musky you know I refer to this comment:

musKeeto:

Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 05, 2013
No one's saying they aren't free to. Just don't become a nuisance to everyone. Late last year, adeboye(I think) held a religious event at OAU just before the end of semester examinations.

This is simply not right.
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by EvilBrain1(m): 5:33pm On May 05, 2013
musKeeto:

I think it's to address the abuse of the 'freedom' on campus.. On some campuses, no empty class/space is spared for vigils and crusades of all sorts. Directives such as this coming from the school administration would help trim down these irrelevant activities.

If so, then they should ban all religious activities and not make an exception for Anglicans and Catholics. You can't cherry-pick which religions you like and discriminate against the ones you don't. Especially if you are a government funded institution.

This policy is unconstitutional and just plain wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 05, 2013
musKeeto: No one's saying they aren't free to. Just don't become a nuisance to everyone. Late last year, adeboye(I think) held a religious event at OAU just before the end of semester examinations.

This is simply not right.

I agree that no one should become a 'nuisance' at the expense of other students; as for the GO, I will agree that his presence is not welcomed if he became part of this 'nuisance' on campus...
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 05, 2013
lol @ stry

@EvilBrain: i get ur point...
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Image123(m): 8:24pm On May 05, 2013
muskee the confused one, good to read that you got the point. Social activities could be nuisance to some too, imsu you know what next to do ba?

1 Like

Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by PasD(m): 10:24pm On May 05, 2013
@image......what shall we do?
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by manmustwac(m): 9:32am On May 06, 2013
PasD: @image......what shall we do?
I googled and couldn't find a link to your story so how do we know if its true?
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by PasD(m): 2:55pm On May 07, 2013
I'm currently in imsu. Imserving there as a copper. 1st hand info
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 07, 2013
i think if you want to ban, then ban every thing. But if you dont want an end to rel activities on campus, then allow all to exist!

Havent said that, i want to ask what you all think about the idea of not allowing people of other christian churches and other faiths to worship on their own in Unis like covenant, redeemers etc?
Re: Imo State University Bans All Campus Fellowships. by Image123(m): 7:29pm On May 07, 2013
it's corper or better still corps member. i think there should be freedom of worship in a state school. If things are getting 'out of hand', there are ways to MANAGE issues.

(1) (Reply)

(opinion)apostle Paul Was A Religious Tyrant And A Sexist / I Thought I'd Be Killed When I Converted To Christianity, Fuji Star / What Is The Trinity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.