Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,787 members, 7,820,756 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? (2324 Views)

What Could President-elect Buhari Be Thinking In This Picture? / Why Must Buhari Be The President For Nigeria To Be Good? / Jonathan Has Shown He Can Be Trusted! So He Still Gets My Vote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 05, 2013
“This campaign is the third and last one for me, since after it, I will not be presenting myself again for election into the office of the President.”- Buhari in 2011

"I Will Contest Presidential Election Again in 2015....It is not about me but for the survival of the party. APC is about ensuring internal democracy. Whoever emerges is the person I will support. Yes I will be ready to step down"- Buhari 2nd May 2013
http://m.allafrica.com/stories/201305020601.html/?maneref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fm%3Fq%3DBuhari%2Bi%2Bwill%2Bcontest%2B2015%2Belection

If Buhari, who some people claim is a man of principle and honour, cannot stand by the statements he made in 2011, how can we trust him to keep his numerous campaign promises if elected? If the statements Buhari made in just under 2yrs has been thrown to the dogs, wont the same fate befall other mouth watery promises?

Can someone who has been unfaithful in little things suddenly become faithful when confronted with bigger challenges? What is more honourable than one standing by his word?

Wont Buhari's promise to fight corruption if elected also suffer the same fate? If you ask me, going by his antecedents, that is very possible.

Some people will always give a thousand reasons Buhari had to eat his words but that also implies that if elected Buhari and his footsolders may give us another one thousands reasons corruption wont be fought.

I therefore ask, can this unreliable Buhari be trusted?

5 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Bigflamie(m): 5:44pm On May 05, 2013
Nope

2 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 05, 2013
Can an unreliable Jonathan be trusted? Jonathan promised to stay for a tenure but he has failed to keep to his word. His posters are now flooding Abuja and he vehemently denies knowing about it. So who is fooling who?

Sai Buhari 2015!

11 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 05, 2013
Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 05, 2013
Bigflamie: Nope
A man of honour should be a man of his words. Buhari was not forced to make those statements. He knew he was going into an election and he could win or lose. He knew that if he lost there'll be another election in 2015. Yet he made those categorical statements. But now all that seems to have gone to the dogs. What manner of man is this unreliable Buhari?

2 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 6:07pm On May 05, 2013
berem: Can an unreliable Jonathan be trusted? Jonathan promised to stay for a tenure but he has failed to keep to his word. His posters are now flooding Abuja and he vehemently denies knowing about it. So who is fooling who?

Sai Buhari 2015!
Where is the video or audio evidence that GEJ promised to do only one term? What we'v seen so far was an unsubstantiated newspaper report that claimed the GEJ made certain statements that SUGGESTS he wont go for second term while in Kenya or so (not sure of the country).

That of Buhari was on national tv. He made those statements while he was weeping on national tv. There is audio and video evidence.

Anyway, I know you'r here to derail this thread but you wont succeed

6 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by holyvirgin: 6:12pm On May 05, 2013
For me buhari cannot be trusted coupled with the fact that he is a traitor. Forward ever backward never.

1 Like

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 05, 2013
[size=16pt]Jonathan personally promised not to run in 2015, a denial today is barefaced lie[/size]

It was Dalhatu Tafida, the Nigerian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, who first let the world into the working of the president’s mind. At a press conference in Abuja in late 2010, a day ahead of President Goodluck Jonathan’s formal declaration to run in the 2011 presidential election, Mr. Tafida, then Director General of the Jonathan/Sambo campaign organisation, said the president won’t seek another term in 2015.The president, he said, would be available for only a single term if elected.“The President wants to run for one term…Let us give him the four years and see how he performs,” Mr. Tafida implored, in what now seems a campaign gimmick.

That explanation sounded logical at the time following the subsisting power rotation formula between the North and the South of Nigeria. Ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo, a southerner of Yoruba extraction, was in office for eight years. The late President Umaru Yar’Adua’s, a northerner, was therefore expected to take the north’s eight-year turn.But death suddenly struck, foisting Mr. Jonathan, who was Mr. Yar’Adua’s deputy, on the nation.So, when Mr. Talfida spoke, the president didn’t deny or fault his arguments. Rather he reinforced them in his actions and speeches.

Although he denied knowledge of the power rotation arrangement, he was unambiguous about his future.Addressing Nigerians in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, where he attended an African Union Summit, the president regretted they would not vote on April 9, 2011, in a poll that was to return him for a fresh term.“I would have loved that Nigerians in the Diaspora vote this year. But to be frank with you that is going to be difficult now,” he said on January 31, 2011,before striking home his point.“Nigerians in the Diaspora will not vote, but I will work towards it by 2015, even though I will not be running for election.”The presidency’s denial on Sunday that he has made no commitment to anyone not to run again has shocked many watchers of Nigerian politics with some describing Mr. Jonathan as a shameless liar.

The denial has also triggered debate on whether Mr. Jonathan’s tenure will, or not transcend 2015.In a reaction to Niger state governor, Babangida Aliyu’s claim that the president endorsed a pact with the governors to exit in 2015, presidential adviser on political matters, Ahmed Gulak, said the claim was “frivolous” and a figment of the governor’s imagination.“The alleged agreement only exists in the figment of the imagination of somebody with presidential ambition,” Mr. Gulak said, referring to Mr. Aliyu’s own ambition to succeed the president in 2015.The president himself has yet to personally speak on the subject. But that is not surprising as that is a well known Aso Rock’s tactic where the president pushes aides to express his position on issues. At times, when a sentiment expressed by an aide gets controversial, the president pushes back, disowning such a remark.Still, Mr. Gulak’s response on the president’s behalf seems deliberate.
For a potentially stormy subject, the president, through his political mouthpiece, Mr. Gulak, needed to have made it clear he signed no agreement if indeed he didn’t. But he should also have explained if he had changed his mind about running again. He said it himself he won’t run in 2015.

At a time the presidency is being criticised over the disgraceful admittance of lying to the public about the health of the First Lady, it faces even greater condemnation should it continue to deny that the President didn’t tell the world he won’t run in 2015.Nigerians seem to respect the president’s right to seek re-election. The concerns have been more about whether Mr. Jonathan once pledged to run for only a single term ending 2015.The president’s remarks in Ethiopia, probably alongside others, provides a response to that concern. The president indeed said so. A denial today would be ungentlemanly and unpresidential.

Ahead of that famous Ethiopian speech, the resolution of a meeting of 18 governors and two deputy governors provided a much-needed weight at the time for the president’s ambition, with a statement backing Mr. Jonathan for one term.
Governor Aliyu’s claim probably derived from the outcome of that meeting.

Also, after the president’s declaration in Addis Ababa, former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, warmed up to that position on March 26, 2011.Speaking in Abuja during the grand finale of the Jonathan/ Sambo ticket, Mr. Obasanjo praised the president for agreeing to stand for only a term and urged Nigerians to give him that one chance. Mr. Jonathan was in the audience the ex-President addressed and he nodded in agreement to Mr. Obasanjo’s remark.Mr. Jonathan should resist the temptation to be blinded by ambition. He should be a man of his words. He should not run again.

http://premiumtimesng.com/opinion/120981-editorial-jonathan-personally-promised-not-to-run-in-2015-a-denial-today-is-barefaced-lie.html

3 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 05, 2013
^^ ^^ Who cares what Mr Tafida and OBJ had to say.

As for GEJ, those newspaper reports are propaganda. Convince us with audio and video evidence. Buhari made his statement on national tv while weeping openly.

See below the confession of a PDP chieftain from the north on this matter:

"So, in order to take something to our people, I asked the president, can we have his words that in 2015, he will not run? To be fair to Jonathan, he did not answer the question"- Senator Mahmud Kanti Bello from Katsina State,15 April 2012
http://m.allafrica.com/stories/201204150192.html/?maneref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nairaland.com%2F915307%2Fsingle-term-there-never-pact
https://www.nairaland.com/915307/single-term-there-never-pact

How can GEJ who did not make any commitment even at the heat of the campaign for PDP primary ticket suddenly go and make those ridiculous statements at Adis Ababa? As for the statement credited to Tafida and OBJ, they were on their own.

1 Like

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: ^^ ^^ Who cares what Mr Tafida and OBJ had to say.

As for GEJ, those newspaper reports are propaganda. Convince us with audio and video evidence. Buhari made his statement on national tv while weeping openly.

See below the confession of a PDP chieftain from the north on this matter:

"So, in order to take something to our people, I asked the president, can we have his words that in 2015, he will not run? To be fair to Jonathan, he did not answer the question"- Senator Mahmud Kanti Bello from Katsina State,15 April 2012
http://m.allafrica.com/stories/201204150192.html/?maneref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nairaland.com%2F915307%2Fsingle-term-there-never-pact
https://www.nairaland.com/915307/single-term-there-never-pact

How can GEJ who did not make any commitment even at the heat of the campaign for PDP primary ticket suddenly go and make those ridiculous statements at Adis Ababa? As for the statement credited to Tafida and OBJ, they were on their own.

[size=16pt]Obasanjo: We hold Jonathan to one term vow[/size]

By Henry Umoru

FORMER president and chairman, Board of Trustees, BoT, of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo declared, yesterday, that zoning of public offices in the party was “alive and kicking”, just as he said that the accident of history that threw up President Goodluck Jonathan as the PDP presidential candidate must be understood.

Obasanjo said Jonathan should be commended for agreeing to do one term if elected in the April general elections, to assuage the bitterness of the pro-zoning elements, saying the president should be encouraged to stick to the vow.

Speaking in Abuja during the campaign 2011 grand finale of the Jonathan/ Namadi Sambo ticket, the former president called on Nigerians to vote the PDP presidential ticket at the polls as that holds the key to actualising the Nigerian dream.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/obasanjo-we-hold-jonathan-to-one-term-vow/

OBJ made that statement while GEJ nodded in agreement. It was captured on TV too at the PDP presidential primary .

2 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by eggheaders(m): 6:33pm On May 05, 2013
damn!!!buhari records speaks volume from petroleum ministry to ptdf and head of state.can the same be said of the otueke drunkard.deputy governor failed woefully stealing funds with his disgraced boss.governorship spouse caught moving funds abroad.presidency grand failure.abetting corruption,insecurity at it peak,inconsistent decision making and generally clueless and dumb.I rather vote a bonono than vote the brainless dingbat called gej.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by tomakint: 6:52pm On May 05, 2013
Going by the question you posed Sincere9gerian, I must confess you really prepared the body of the thread carefully well! If the macho man Buhari at over 70 cannot even stand on an earlier decision he made after being flogged at the polls in 2011 by the annointed one, Goodluck Jonathan, then I will be right to conclude that APC is indeed a party of confused elements because this Jonathan will flog Buhari again cool

2 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by slimghost(m): 7:00pm On May 05, 2013
berem: Can an unreliable Jonathan be trusted? Jonathan promised to stay for a tenure but he has failed to keep to his word. His posters are now flooding Abuja and he vehemently denies knowing about it. So who is fooling who?

Sai Buhari 2015!

Madam Clown! Where and when did GEJ promise you that? Stop peddling lies for once! Be responsible

2 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by slimghost(m): 7:05pm On May 05, 2013
Its Buhari's constitutional right to vote and be voted for. So am happy to see him disgraced once more by the "retardeen" come 2015!

1 Like

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Demdem(m): 7:06pm On May 05, 2013
Prof Corruption:

[size=16pt]Obasanjo: We hold Jonathan to one term vow[/size]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/obasanjo-we-hold-jonathan-to-one-term-vow/

OBJ made that statement while GEJ nodded in agreement. It was captured on TV too at the PDP presidential primary .

let me guess the fools response? Jonathan had guns on his ballls and that explains why he kept on nodding like agama lizard. I saw the programme live. Even BBC carried the news or are they also APC agents
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12339017

1 Like

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 7:12pm On May 05, 2013
[size=16pt]Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan to seek one term[/size]

Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan has said he will not seek a second term in office if he wins elections scheduled for April.

As the governing party candidate, he is the favourite even though some party officials have said he should not run.

He is a southerner and the People's Democratic Party (PDP) has a tradition of alternating power between north and south of the country.

Under this unwritten rule, the PDP candidate should be from the north.

But in January's party primary, Mr Jonathan overwhelmingly defeated a northerner, ex-Vice-President Atiku Abubakar.

Last year, the party's powerful governors suggested that Mr Jonathan only seek one term as a compromise.

The PDP candidate has won every poll since the end of military rule in 1999.

However, most of its victories have been marred by widespread fraud and violence.

Mr Jonathan became leader after the death of elected President Umaru Yar'Adua in May 2010.

He is the first president from Nigeria's southern, oil-producing Niger Delta region.

Mr Jonathan has promised to introduce electoral reforms, but correspondents say it will be difficult to implement radical changes before April.

The main opposition candidates are former anti-corruption campaigner Nuhu Ribadu and Gen Muhammadu Buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by slimghost(m): 7:13pm On May 05, 2013
Demdem:

let me guess the fools response? Jonathan had guns on his ballls and that explains why he kept on nodding like agama lizard. I saw the programme live. Even BBC carried the news or are they also APC agents

No need for the hot blood! APC have finally presented Buhari, let's pray PDP present GEJ and let's see who would be disgraced again come 2015! Some people never LEARN!

1 Like

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 7:14pm On May 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
A man of honour should be a man of his words. Buhari was not forced to make those statements. He knew he was going into an election and he could win or lose. He knew that if he lost there'll be another election in 2015. Yet he made those categorical statements. But now all that seems to have gone to the dogs. What manner of man is this unreliable Buhari?

I agree with Mr Sincere9geria.A man of honour should be a man of his words.

As everyone now knows, as the presidential elections approached, Jonathan was overflowing with promises. The first category of promises applied to the general issues. He promised such things as electricity, security, jobs, and education, as well as to transform the economy and combat corruption.
The second concerned specific strategic “plans”:

• A five-year plan to revolutionize agriculture and establish industries in the country (Oturkpo, Benue State February 17);

• A four-year development plan that would open up the South-South geo-political zone (Calabar, Cross River State, March 7); it includes a blueprint for coastal roads and railways;

• A five-year development plan to accelerate development in the country (Asaba, 25 February);

• Roads and other basic infrastructure to be developed in four years (Akure, March 2).

• Road construction to take new five-year structure, ending yearly budgetary allocations (Ibadan, February 9);

• Five-year strategic plan for road projects (Bida, February 22).

• A holistic review of the nation’s our education policy (Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, March 12)

Dispensing the third category of promisory notes, Jonathan seemed determined to give unto each Nigerian in the next four years and sometimes right away, a remarkable slice of fulfillment, with promises that teased and tantalized. Here, in state by state order, are a few:

In Aba on February 12, he promised to stamp out kidnapping; provide facilities that would boost the enterprising spirit of the Igbo; upgrade the Enugu airport to international level; dredge the River Niger; build a dry port in Aba for Igbo businessmen; complete the Second Niger Bridge; rehabilitate all the main roads into Abia; tackle the erosion crisis; and make Aba the Ground Zero of eventual aircraft production in Nigeria.

In Uyo on March 7, he promised to build coastal roads and rail from Lagos to Calabar.

In Awka on Feb 26, he said he would construct all the major roads which link Anambra with its neighbors; complete the ongoing aero-dynamic survey of gas in the Anambra River basin, which [leading to] power supply, then Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) industry”; complete the second Niger Bridge; and complete the Onitsha Inland Port. Nigerians would not be talking about generators after his four years in office, he vowed.

In Bauchi on February 9, he promised to intensify oil and gas exploration in the North-East Zone; boost agriculture, power and water supply; provide dams and power projects; establish two universities in the region; construct schools with modern facilities for 9.5 million Almajiris; and combat rising terrorism in the area.

In Asaba on February 26, he announced that the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation would create jobs for over 5,000 youths in the region; promised to transform the Nigerian oil and gas industry and make it the destination of choice for investors in Africa; convene a stakeholders meeting across the country where communities will be able to determine their priority programmes.
In Dutse, on March 17: Jonathan promised to establish airports in all the states without airports, with Jigawa as his starting point.

In Abakaliki on Feb 25, he promised the South East geo-political zone priority attention, especially in fixing its dilapidated road network and in healthcare delivery; dualize the Enugu-Abakaliki Express Road within one year; convert the Federal Medical Centre in Abakaliki to a teaching hospital.

In Enugu on February 12, he promised to stamp out kidnapping, ensure facilities that would enhance the enterprising spirit of the Igbo; upgrade the Enugu airport to international level; dredge the River Niger; build a dry port in Aba for easy access to Igbo traders; and complete the Second Niger Bridge.
In Birni Kebbi on March 20, he promised to establish schools for Almajiris, boost agricultural produce, ensure the take-off of the Federal University in Kebbi next year.

In Lokoja on February 21, he promised to revive the Ajaokuta Steel Complex and the Itakpe Iron Ore Company; explore the agricultural potential of the state to boost food security; establish a new federal university; ensure the speedy completion of the Lokoja-Abuja road project, and dredge the lower and upper River Niger.

In Ilorin also on Feb 21, Jonathan promised to end discrimination along ethnic and religious lines; tackle poverty; agricultural transformation of Kwara State; rehabilitation of the nation’s railway system; rehabilitation of the Ilorin-Mokwa road. He would also revitalize ailing industries and grant loans to farmers (objectives for which, he said, funds had already been earmarked).

In Lafia on February 7 at the North Central Zone launching of his campaign, Jonathan promised to end chronic power shortages; improve health and education; ensure food self-sufficiency; manage oil revenues better; create a Sovereign Wealth Fund. He would also clampdown on kidnappers and criminals; pursue law breakers to the ends of the Earth, and ensure there would be no sacred cows. He guaranteed a university in every state; proper care for communities along the water ways; and construction of a refinery.

In Lagos on February 28, Jonathan promised to partner with Lagos State in the interest of its continuous growth and the nation’s economic buoyancy. “We have taken this period to study what we are going to do and by your mandate in May 29, we will hit the ground running,” he said.

In Jos on February 17, he promised “a straight fight” against poverty; to create wealth by improving power and water supply; to build more dams and complete ongoing ones in order to boost irrigation farming in Plateau; to complete the Vom-Manchok-Jos road to boost economic links between Plateau and Kaduna states; to encourage more agricultural research institutes; refocus on solid mineral development.

In Minna on Feb 15, he promised to establish three power projects in the state at a cost of $2.1bn (about N315bn).

In Port Harcourt on February 12, at the launching of his South-South Campaign, he promised to commence “transformational changes” in the South-South; said the NNPC had begun investing in the petrochemical industry in the region; that the people in the region would be given a voice in the oil and gas sector. He promised to make the Niger Delta region the hub of the petrochemical industry in Africa.

In Abeokuta, on March 12, he promised to revive the railway system; revive ailing refineries; build new refineries.

In Akure on March 2, Jonathan promised that the bitumen deposits in the state would be exploited for economic development and employment generation; to provide funds for small and medium scale enterprises, mechanised farming and agro-based industries; and to partner with relevant agencies to harness the agrarian nature of the State “to open up the flank of semi and mechanized farming in the State to engender a paradigm shift from subsistence farming to reliable modern agricultural practices.”

In Osogbo on March 2, he promised to complete the Lagos-Jebba rail project right away; complete the Ife-Ijesa dam; enhance agricultural irrigation; provide farmers with adequate information; invest in petrochemicals, mining, research and development.

In Ibadan on February 9, at the SouthWest launch of the campaign, he promised to: run a transparent government; treat all citizens equally; respect law and order; turn around the nation's bad road network.
In Gusau on March 15, he promised to establish a federal university of technology within one year.

Jonathan’s fourth and final confetti carton of promises seemed designed to overwhelm anyone who had not yet folded under the avalanche:

• N50 billion set aside in 2011 Budget to facilitate employments for the youths (Ondo, March 2);

• build car manufacturing or assembly plants (meeting with leaders of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, Abuja, March 21);

• Revive ailing oil refineries and build new ones (Abeokuta, March 12)

• Collaborate with state governments to explore the solid minerals sector (Gusau, March 15);

• Spend N350 billion in building small dams across the North in the next four years to stimulate “massive irrigational farms” (Northern Economic Summit, Kaduna, March 19);

• Expand and develop the downstream sector of the oil and gas industry to provide about one million jobs (one-man presidential “debate,” March 31, Abuja);

• Make Nigeria an exporter of rice (Presidential Summit on Job Creation, Abuja, April 12);

• Crackdown on piracy in the entertainment industry (Presidential Summit on Job Creation, Abuja, April 12)

This is an abbreviated description of Jonathan’s election campaign which seemed designed to tell the immediate listener whatever he wanted to hear, and to ensure he receives the keys to the presidential palace and the Central Bank next Sunday.

I have saved his most memorable promise, made in Onitsha on February 27, for last: "I do not make empty promises in my campaign because whatever I promise to do, I had already carried out adequate study to make sure I can accomplish it in the next four years."

Source: http://saharareporters.com/column/non-governing-governance-3-4-mountain-promises-sonala-olumhense

2 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 7:16pm On May 05, 2013
[size=20pt]I‘ll not contest 2015 election – Jonathan[/size]

BY DANIEL IDONOR
ANKARA, TURKEY — President Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, said he has no ambition to stay in office beyond 2015, assuring Nigerians in Diaspora that while he will not contest the 2015 election, he will ensure that this year’s election is free and fair.

The President promised that if voted in for the next four years, he would ensure significant improvement in key sectors of the economy — security, power, education, road, health amongst others.

“Without security, there is no government. So it is not debatable, it is something we have to addressed and we are working towards that with vigour. But if I’m voted into power within the next four years, the issue of power will become a thing of the past. Four years is enough for anyone in power to make significant improvement and if I can’t improve on power within this period, it then means I cannot do anything even if I am there for the next four years.”

Jonathan said this while interacting with Nigerians mainly diplomats working in the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, UNECA, and the African Union, AU, in Addis-Ababa.

While fielding questions from those present at the interactive session on whether Nigerians abroad will vote, Jonathan said: “I would have loved that the Nigerians in Diaspora vote this year but to be frank with you, that is going to be difficult now. Presently, the law does not allow the voting outside Nigeria and so this year Nigerians in Diaspora will not vote but I will work towards it by 2015 even though I will not be running for election.”

On the issue of security, Jonathan said the government was doing everything possible to arrest the situation. He disclosed that all those involved in the October 1 bombing had been arrested and were being prosecuted. He, however, said he ordered the release of the car dealers because they were just businessmen who could not have known that the vehicles were to be used for such heinous crime.

On education, the President said, the nine new approved universities were to be specialised and to be headed by at least three Nigerians experts in Diaspora.

On the concerns raised of having a database of Nigerian experts in Diaspora, President Jonathan assured that he was working on creating a forum for interaction between them and government and also develop a database, where experts needed to address the various challenges of the economy will be drawn. He hinted that this was why the Diaspora Commission was being set up as the bill was already before the National Assembly.

The President also disclosed that the government is looking towards reviewing the country’s foreign policy to ensure that Nigeria gets maximum benefit from its roles and contributions to international organizations like the AU, UN and ECOWAS.

He lamented that right now Nigeria’s contributions were not being recognized adding that “there is need for Nigeria to have something in return for our investments. We are investing so much but it is not being noticed and there is need to reverse that trend.

On the concerns about road network and transportation in the country, President Jonathan assured that the railway system will be revamp because presently heavy duty vehicles were destroying the roads. “Why we cannot have continuous road maintenance for now because no contractor wants to go into it because of the continuous pressure on the road by heavy duty vehicles. That is why we are working to ensure that we revamp the rail”.

The President also assured that Nigerians working in international organization and institutions would be issued diplomatic passports. He directed the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Odein Ajumogobia to submit the list of those qualified within the shortest possible time to him.

On the 35 per cent affirmative action implementation and the domestication of protocols signed, he assured that he will present before the National Assembly within the shortest possible time

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/i-ll-not-contest-2015-election-jonathan/

Insincere9gerian, did the president make this vow in the dark?

1 Like

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Demdem(m): 7:18pm On May 05, 2013
highly confused u are. from this:

slimghost:

Madam Clown! Where and when did GEJ promise you that? Stop peddling lies for once! Be responsible

To this:

slimghost:

No need for the hot blood! APC have finally presented Buhari, let's pray PDP present GEJ and let's see who would be disgraced again come 2015! Some people never LEARN!

even the above is still not correct. APC is still unregistered and Buhari is not chosen for anything. Its still work in progress even if it eventually becomes a reality, it is good news. The killer party can present the retardeen and the final decision is for Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by CROWE: 7:23pm On May 05, 2013
Running for election or not is a very personal decision, Buhari is allowed to change his mind on the matter as many times as possible, stop being silly. This is a non issue.
Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by funnyx(m): 7:23pm On May 05, 2013
Why is the OP drinking panadol for Buhari's headache? Why is PDP govt and their followers catch cold any time the name Buhari is mentioned?
Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 7:24pm On May 05, 2013
[size=20pt]I Won’t Stand For Election In 2015 - Jonathan[/size]

PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN AND WIFE, DAME PATIENCE JONATHAN DURING THEIR ARRIVAL IN ADDIS-ABABA, ETHIOPIA FOR THE 16 AFRICAN UNION SUMMIT.

SAN FRANCISCO, Jan 31, (THEWILL) – President Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan today said he would not seek reelection in 2015 if elected President in the April general election.

The President made the declaration in Addis-Ababa, Ethiopia during a session with Nigerians in diaspora.

President Goodluck Jonathan is in Addis-Ababa alongside the First Lady and Foreign Minister, Odein Ajumogobia to attend the 16th African Union Summit.

He assured the gathering of government’s big push towards improving security, power and infrastructure.

He said government was doing everything possible to arrest the poor security situation in the country. He disclosed that all those involved in the October 1 bombing had been arrested and were being prosecuted. He, however, said he ordered the release of the car dealers because they were just businessmen who could not have known that the vehicles they sold were going be used for the bombings.

“Without security, there is no government. So it is not debatable, it is something we have to addressed and we are working towards that with vigour,” he said.

Jonathan emphasized the significance of electricity to economic growth and vowed that if elected in April for a four-year tenure, the issue of poor electricity supply would be a ‘thing of the past.’

“If I’m voted into power within the next four years, the issue of power will become a thing of the past. Four years is enough for anyone in power to make significant improvement and if I can’t improve on power within this period, it then means I cannot do anything even if I am there for the next four years,” President Jonathan told the gathering mainly made up of Nigerian diplomat working at United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, UNECA, and the African Union, AU, in Addis-Ababa.

While responding to a question on why Nigerians living abroad are not allowed to vote, Jonathan said the electoral law does not permit voting from abroad but promised to work towards allowing Nigerians in diaspora vote in the 2015.

“I would have loved that the Nigerians in diaspora vote this year but to be frank with you, that is going to be difficult now. Presently, the law does not allow voting outside Nigeria and so this year Nigerians in diaspora will not vote but I will work towards it by 2015 even though I will not be running for election.”

The President has left Ethiopia for Turkey on a state visit.

http://thewillnigeria.com/politics/7384.html

2 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Demdem(m): 7:35pm On May 05, 2013
funnyx: Why is the OP drinking panadol for Buhari's headache? Why is PDP govt and their followers catch cold any time the name Buhari is mentioned?

because they know he has the potentials to defeat them in a free and fair election
Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by slimghost(m): 7:38pm On May 05, 2013
Demdem: highly confused u are. from this:

To this:

even the above is still not correct. APC is still unregistered and Buhari is not chosen for anything. Its still work in progress even if it eventually becomes a reality, it is good news. The killer party can present the retardeen and the final decision is for Nigerians.

What's your point? Anywway as long as the APC candidate is Buhari, I can comfortably say that its OVER. Buhari can only win an election in Northern Nigeria and part of the SW.
Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Demdem(m): 7:43pm On May 05, 2013
slimghost:

What's your point?

U are donfused

Anywway as long as the APC candidate is Buhari, I can comfortably say that its OVER.

Buhari can only win an election in Northern Nigeria and part of the SW.

grin grin ur opinion u are entitled to it. with the right alliance unlike before, not only will he in in the North but also the SW and MB. SE/SS is a no-no, the miserable retardeen will still be voted for even if he is much more useless than this.
Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by eggheaders(m): 7:52pm On May 05, 2013
tomakint: Going by the question you posed Sincere9gerian, I must confess you really prepared the body of the thread carefully well! If the macho man Buhari at over 70 cannot even stand on an earlier decision he made after being flogged at the polls in 2011 by the annointed one, Goodluck Jonathan, then I will be right to conclude that APC is indeed a party of confused elements because this Jonathan will flog Buhari again cool

hey you brainless product of bestiality.after your dumb Oga has renege on all the promises he made to the citizenry.only in your dead brain he is still the anointed one.who anoint the shoeless,clueless inferiority complex otueke drunkard.if anything is called confusion it can never be better describe than the crisis ravaging your sick umbrella party.only fools like you praise an incompetent fool that can't even control his arrogant wife talkless of a nation.killing y'all scoundrels is a noble cause deserving a un recognized award.enuff said to the confused son of the most popular hussler on the street of allen avenue.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 05, 2013
[size=20pt]Jonathan Commits Self to One Term[/size]

[b]At last, President Goodluck Jonathan has made a firm promise: if elected in April, he will not run for second term in office in 2015.This is the first time he is speaking on this contentious issue which is believed to be the major hindrance to a full support for him in some parts of the country.Jonathan said Monday in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, while addressing Nigerians in the Diaspora that rather than think of another term, he would concentrate on providing infrastructure in critical areas of the economy especially security, power, education, roads, health and others that needed urgent attention.

He told the audience that the major problem faced by many incumbents in Nigeria is the distraction caused by the quest for second term which makes them lose focus.Jonathan assumed office last year after the death of President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and some Northern politicians insisted he should not be a candidate in the 2011 presidential election because the position was zoned to the North for two terms, from 2007 to 2015.“If I’m voted into power within the next four years, the issue of power will become a thing of the past. Four years is enough for anyone in power to make significant improvement and if I can’t improve on power within this period, it then means I cannot do anything even if I am there for the next four years,” he said.[/b]

On the request by Nigerians abroad to be allowed to vote in the April elections, Jonathan replied that it was his desire for them but that it would not be possible especially as the law of the country does not allow that.

He however assured them that he would work towards it in 2015 though he would not be contesting.
“I would have loved that the Nigerians in Diaspora vote this year but to be frank with you, that is going to be difficult now. Presently, the law does not allow the voting outside Nigeria and so this year Nigerians in Diaspora will not vote but I will work towards it by 2015 even though I will not be running for election,” he said.

Speaking on other issues, he traced the history of the security problems in the country and assured the audience that he was doing everything to ensure that the situation was brought under control.

He said the suspected perpetrators of the October 1 bombings had been arrested and were undergoing trial, while those who were caught by circumstantial evidence had been released on his orders.

He said the car dealers sold cars without knowing what the buyers wanted to use them for.
Jonathan stated that without proper attention to security nothing could function well, adding that if voted into power he would ensure stable power supply.

According to him, “Without security there is no government, so it is not debatable. It is something we have to address and we are working towards that with vigour.”

On education, Jonathan said he was building the sector and pointed to the establishment of new universities some of which would he headed by experts in the Diaspora and called for their cooperation.

He stressed the need for the creation of a forum where ideas would be traded on the challenges facing the country and its economy and the way out, adding that to make the best of the human resources of the country in the Diaspora, a commission to coordinate that was in the works.

On the foreign policy direction of the country, he said that Nigeria would henceforth enter into mutually beneficial partnerships as “there is need for Nigeria to have something in return for our investments. We are investing so much but it is not being noticed and there is need to reverse that trend”.

Other infrastructure which he said needed urgent attention which he ha started addressing is the road and transportation system where he said revamping the rail system to give the roads breathing space was high on his agenda.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-commits-self-to-one-term/85638

3 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 05, 2013
@Prof Corruption..,I give to you for working hard to bring up all those links. But like I said earlier, all the reports are referring to the SAME incident at Addis Ababa in Jan 2011. No audio or video evidence. No ANY OTHER statement from either the president himself or the his spokesperson to CORROBORATE that statement. So I believe its propaganda.

As for the statement credited to OBJ, that was made on national tv and its true. But OBJ spoke for himself.

Back to Buhari, he not only made the statement credited to him on live tv, he also re-affirmed the statement on several occasions including this:

"For the umpteenth time, I said it (that I won't run again), it is on record that I would not present myself againfor election.
“But after that, I have said so many times that members of my party and groups went and said that I don't belong to myself and that I belong to them. They also said they belong to me.
“I asked them to go and organise the party and if you approach me I may consider it. This is the stage we are"- Buhari

http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/i-may-change-my-mind-on-2015-election-buhari/

1 Like

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by texazzpete(m): 8:08pm On May 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @Prof Corruption..,I give to you for working hard to bring up all those links. But like I said earlier, all the reports are referring to the SAME incident at Addis Ababa in Jan 2011. No audio or video evidence. No ANY OTHER statement from either the president himself or the his spokesperson to CORROBORATE that statement. So I believe its propaganda.

As for the statement credited to OBJ, that was made on national tv and its true. But OBJ spoke for himself.

Back to Buhari, he not only made the statement credited to him on live tv, he also re-affirmed the statement on several occasions including this:

"For the umpteenth time, I said it (that I won't run again), it is on record that I would not present myself againfor election.
“But after that, I have said so many times that members of my party and groups went and said that I don't belong to myself and that I belong to them. They also said they belong to me.
I asked them to go and organise the party and if you approach me I may consider it. This is the stage we are"- Buhari

http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/i-may-change-my-mind-on-2015-election-buhari/

According to the post you just made, Buhari said at the same time that "if you approach me I MAY consider it". So where is the lie there?
This is what happens when a paid lapdog like yourself fails to read the material/script his masters hands to him to disseminate.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Ogbonaikenna(m): 8:18pm On May 05, 2013

Sai Buhari 2015!
this man you are supporting, his people are accusing igbos of kidnapping Ali Maguno and are planning on killing igbos. You get sense at all?

1 Like

Re: Can An Unreliable Buhari Be Trusted? by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 05, 2013
“For the umpteenth time, I said it (that I won't run again), it is on record that I would not present myself againfor election.
“I asked them to go and organise the party and if you approach me I may consider it. This is the stage we are"- Buhari

The grave implication of the above statement is that if Buhari is elected and he goes out to fight corruption and members of his party members say NO dont fight corruption, he'll not fight corruption. If he thinks of tarring a particular road and members of his party say NO, he'll abandon the idea.

Buhari comes across as man who will just swim with the tide if elected president

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

VIDEO: South Africa's Loyiso Gola Takes A Friendly Jab At Nigerians / Jonathan Bought Scraps For A Budget Of New Tanks / Results Of Imo State PDP House Of Reps Primary Election.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.