Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,053 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. (18777 Views)

How To Process Your Car Tinted Permit Plus My Experience / New Tinted Permit / Permit For Factory Tinted Glass? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:50pm On May 07, 2013
Lol...because NOTHING prepares you for the type of driving you will witness here grin grin grin.

It is for your own safety grin.
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 07, 2013
In Nigeria, just enter a car and start driving, if police or frsc stop you, give them 50 naira and u don become oga

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by robinfemi: 2:03pm On May 07, 2013
it wudn't b permit because der is always ZEBRA CROSSING on 9ja road tongue shocked tongue shocked
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Kingslaw(m): 2:07pm On May 07, 2013
Because you won't be coming down to NG for Ur short visit with your car.
And please don't be calling NG to legalize things just becuse other countries are doing so.pls I Take God beg you o!
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by InvertedHammer: 2:11pm On May 07, 2013

If you are planning on vacationing in EU, the last thing on your problem list should be driving.

You can pretty much get around in their public transport system.

It is not cost effective considering the rental fees, Insurance, traffic tickets, parking fees, etc.

I have never met anyone who is going on vacation that is interested in driving in EU.

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by ITbomb(m): 2:45pm On May 07, 2013
SO tell me how someone who qualify to drive straight roads in EU can handle Nigerian roads.
Guy our driving license is way higher than international driving license you you have to re apply when going through Nigerian roads.

1 Like

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Allenkee: 2:50pm On May 07, 2013
redsun: Because nigeria has no driving system.No policies,no formations and no alliances.

Same in everything as a result of gross moral decadence.

Will you say the same to China and Brazil that the OP mentioned?
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Iykeponti(m): 2:59pm On May 07, 2013
Our so called passport is not even allowed anywhere not 2talk of driving license angry

2 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Allenkee: 3:00pm On May 07, 2013
adaobi123: Can half of the people in Nigeria drive ? They drive like mad !!! grin grin

FOR YOU INFORMATION, WORD BEST DRIVERS ARE FOUND IN 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES BECAUSE MOST OF THEIR ROADS ARE BAD!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by MrAboki: 3:08pm On May 07, 2013
[size=13pt]I dont think it is safe to drive in Nigeria with an International Drivers License. For you to drive in Nigeria, you must first of all learn how to drive in Nigeria.

Have you ever had to share the road with lunatics before?! Only countries where mad people drive cars can their permits be admitted in Nigeria.
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Gaius667: 3:38pm On May 07, 2013
The Nigerian driving terrain is quite different from what is obtainable in other countries. A certified driver in Europe or elsewhere will find it hard to drive in Lagos but I don't think this is still a valid reason why the IDP should not be honoured.
In Nigeria, we do not just learn how to drive but add on several other expertise to the art.

A practical Naija driving school should have this course outline
Advanced driving lessons for paranormal conditions
- Pothole navigation
- Anger management and psychology (as per other road users)
- Siren, convoy and entourage management
- Police relationship management
- Police behavioral science
- understanding vehicle particulars (as per region/state)

6 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by donkarly(m): 3:43pm On May 07, 2013
Pls who knows where i can get one,I need it..
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by sweetrace(f): 4:16pm On May 07, 2013
redsun: Because nigeria has no driving system.No policies,no formations and no alliances.

This is so not true. You can actually get an international driving permit in Nigeria for 5,000 and it is valid for one year. However it is meant to be used outside the country. If you're a Nigerian citizen, you need a valid Nigerian license to drive in Nigeria. This is common sense to me.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Chegal(f): 6:28pm On May 07, 2013
Lol

churific: You have to take an extra course in "Evading Death" and "Near Death Experiences" before qualifying to drive in Nigeria. The International License is simply not enough!

*sarcasm
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by redsun(m): 7:21pm On May 07, 2013
If there are driving rules in naija 70 percent of drivers wont be qualified to ride bicycles on the death trap roads,talkless of cars and trucks.

Police hug dead drunk drivers on the roads,collect 20 naira from them and set them on the road. At motor parks alcohol are freely sold to drivers taht are about to embark on journeys with lives of passengers in their drunken hands.And worse of all,in the full view of the passengers themselves that never complains or troubled by the state of the person that will be driving them.

It is a common senseless world out there and it is more or less a miracle that people live to tell the tales at all.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Notion(m): 9:33pm On May 07, 2013
MANOSUB:
which is why IDP can't be use here. Right?
that's one of the cause.
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by chucky234(m): 10:00pm On May 07, 2013
adaobi123: Can half of the people in Nigeria drive ? They drive like mad !!! grin grin
And you prolly think yourself a good driver driving on those London smooth roads,you can't even link two streets in Lagos as only a true Lagosian with hi-tech driving skills can manoeuvre those pot-holes,traffic and danfo drivers.
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by ceaz4r(m): 11:08pm On May 07, 2013

coogar:

this is very harsh!
how can you speak ill of the country that birthed you in such a crude manner. what had gross moral decadence gotta do with?

Did he say the truth? Truth can be said in any manner; harshly, softly, in a song or music, in graphics, etc.
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by jodam: 11:28pm On May 07, 2013
Let's not go INTERNATIONAL now//Even a licensed driver in Abuja, Port Harcourt and the likes tag their cars L (Learner) once they entered Lag//Locally, that you are licensed in those places doesn't mean you are fit to battle Lagos danfo drivers amidst that traffic jam//now u can see the reason why INTERNATIONAL is not allowed//Lagos (Nigeria) driving is the craziest!

1 Like

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:44am On May 08, 2013
Iykeponti: Our so called passport is not even allowed anywhere not 2talk of driving license angry
You can use your Nigerian driver's licence in Canada for one year after which you'll be required to get their own licence. I also know someone who used his Canadian licence in Naija. FRSC stopped him on his way travelling and he didn't have Nigerian licence. He gave them the one he had and they waved him on.

1 Like

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by nobullshit(m): 11:15am On May 08, 2013
dannysteve99@ya:
Nigeria is once again one step backward for God sake IDP supose to be allow in Nigeria.
If u do have a valid EU full driver's licence " not provisional" u can use it in naija, I always use my full licence in naija and the police has nothing to say whenever i give it to them on request, have used it in more than one state in naija therefore, i bet u can use ur EU full licence.
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by jot01(m): 11:56am On May 08, 2013
I also Use my IDP to drive in South Africa. Shikena !!!
gbokukueba:

That is not true... I use IDP and my Nigerian Drivers License to drive in South Africa...
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Jucol(m): 10:02pm On May 08, 2013
AttN: Those of you in Lagos bragging about your driving skills. The fact that you can move a car from point A to point B, at alarming speeds does not qualify you as a DRIVER. How long you have been driving in Naija is immaterial. Even a blind person can obtain the Naija drivers license. I wonder how those that said they drive with Naija license in Europe and other orderly countries are able to do so without some highway code tutorial?. They must have been a menace to other road users!

There are lots of other requirements for one to be a DRIVER:
. Understanding and obeying traffic signs.
. Understanding road markings- closely dotted lines, spaced lines, full lines...etc.
. Road courtesy- respect for other road users- pedestrians, cyclists, other motor vehicles etc.
. Use of high and low beam- part of road courtesy.
. First aid help/response in the event road accidents.
. etc

Imagine the chaos on our round-abouts and intersections! There are signs on the round-abouts from Lekki to V/I that read GIVE AWAY. Those coming from Lekki do not give way to the vehicles trying to turn towards V/I or to the estates. Total commotion. That road is marked 50km/h. Only Heaven knows the average speed on them.

My advice is: DO NOT attempt driving abroad with your Naija license. Go for tutorials first. Its a whole different experience.
Good lucksmiley

1 Like

Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by DisGuy: 9:07pm On Nov 24, 2013
pash4naija:
You can use your Nigerian driver's licence in Canada for one year after which you'll be required to get their own licence. I also know someone who used his Canadian licence in Naija. FRSC stopped him on his way travelling and he didn't have Nigerian licence. He gave them the one he had and they waved him on.

is this still applicable?

Seeing as VIO are on the prowl now
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by sultaan(m): 6:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
I have seen a lot of pics of new roads in Abuja but I have rarely seen any with lane markings.

That is why people drive down the middle of two lane highway

Roads should be like this
https://www.nairaland.com/570724/picture-update-urban-roads-enough

bad roads like Lagos-Nissan expressway
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Ezylinkage: 12:03am On Nov 20, 2017
INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMITS

What Is International Driving Permit?
An IDP is a document that allows an individual to drive a private vehicle in another country; it is slightly larger than a standard passport and it is complete with one’s photographs and other statistical data.

Where can I obtain IDP?
Before you can obtain a valid IDP in Nigeria you MUST also have your local driving license issued by the Federal Road Safety Corp (FRSC) first before you can get your International Permit.

How long does it take?
The International Driving Permit takes 2 to 3 working days

What are the requirements?
Photocopy of International Passport
Photocopy of National Driving license
2 Passport photo

How long does it takes before it expire?
The IDP only valid for one year

Which country can I Use the IDP?
The IDP is recognized in
Maryland,
Washington DC
California in the U.S.
Germany,
Turkey,
Switzerland,
Poland,
Spain,
Austria
and Sweden in Europe.

Having an IDP is a great advantage when you are working overseas as it can help you find a job as a Professional Driver or simply use it for personal convenience.

For inquiry or if you want to get a valid International Driving license in Nigeria, at cheaper price and free home delivery.
+2348032285161, +2348092566361
Email: Info.ezylinkage@gmail.com
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H57o9xXVc3w&feature=youtu.be
Facebook: https://web.facebook.com/ezylinkage/
Re: Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. by Ezylinkage: 12:10pm On Oct 17, 2018
What Is International Driving Permit?
An IDP is a document that allows an individual to drive a private vehicle in another country; it is slightly larger than a standard passport and it is complete with one’s photographs and other statistical data.

Where can I obtain IDP?
Before you can obtain a valid IDP in Nigeria you MUST also have your local driving license issued by the Federal Road Safety Corp (FRSC) first before you can get your International Permit.

How long does it take?
The International Driving Permit takes 2 to 3 working days

What are the requirements?
Photocopy of International Passport
Photocopy of National Driving license
2 Passport photo

How long does it takes before it expire?
You can request for an International Driving license in Nigeria that is for one year to three years, you will have to pay more if you want to have the expiration longer than a year.
One year License
Two year License
Three year License

Which country can I Use the IDP?
The IDP is recognized in Maryland, Washington DC and California in the U.S. as well as Germany, Turkey, Switzerland, Poland, Spain, Austria and Sweden in Europe.

Having an IDP is a great advantage when you are working overseas as it can help you find a job as a Professional Driver or simply use it for personal convenience.

For enquiry or if you want to get a valid International Driving license in Nigeria, at cheaper price and free home delivery.
+2348032285161, +2348092566361
Info.ezylinked@gmail.com
Info@ezylinkage.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Easy Tips And Tricks Every Driver Should Know (pics) / 7 Cool Suvs Made In Africa You Need To Check Out / Lincoln Confirms New China-Made SUV To Suit Local Consumers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.