Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,254 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager (25664 Views)

Alex Ferguson’s Last Chewed Gum For Sale On E-bay / David Moyes Confirmed As Manchester United New Manager / Alex Ferguson Is Considering Retiring As United Manager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by akpos4uall(m): 11:17am On May 08, 2013
I'm not a Man U fan but I'll say he is the greatest and will be the greatest ever any single club will get. It doesn't get much better than what he has done. All through the years, it was SAF vs any other manager for the EPL title.
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by Nobody: 11:17am On May 08, 2013
ehis999:

No need to comment a lot... from your name - al-qaeda, we know your capabilities...
BROS, AM JUST HAVING A GOOD TIME. BE HAPPY FOR ME.
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by 2scorehigh(m): 11:18am On May 08, 2013
Wow! This is a great good news.

I'm also expecting another good news because Mr. Arsene Wenger, whether you like it or not, you are the next!
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by Changai007: 11:18am On May 08, 2013
#26yrs #LEGEND #RESPECT #GRATITUDE #WINNER #BOSS...so sad
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by Nobody: 11:19am On May 08, 2013
KMB: His chewing gum seller wont be happy

LOL!
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by Nobody: 11:20am On May 08, 2013
Olekumaster: shut the Bleep up! Who asked for your opinion anyway?

You think say you dey inside your face-me-I-face you room? Do you have to ask for a person's opinion before he gives it? In a public forum? Oponu oshi.
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by janga(m): 11:20am On May 08, 2013
Chelsea beat Barca->Guardiola out.
Chelsea beat tottenham->Redknapp out.
Chelsea beat Liverpool->Dalgish out.
Chelsea beat manu->fergie out.

1 Like

Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by Nobody: 11:21am On May 08, 2013
Bimfo: Sir Alex Ferguson v Chelsea 1987-2013: W22 D25 L25. Amazing Career....Take a Bow Sir.

#CFC!!! Pride of London

Fergie's last home defeat: Chelsea!!!

Last FA Cup defeat: Chelsea!!!

Last League Cup defeat: Chelsea!!!

Last Charity Shield defeat: Chelsea!!!

2 Likes

Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by RedLight1: 11:22am On May 08, 2013
oh no

though i hate man runinited but i still dont want fergussson to leave ..he suppose to die there cry any which way ..i dont think he can stay away from football
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by ShackAttack: 11:22am On May 08, 2013
smiley He is one of the most respected Football Managers in the history of the English Premier League.
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by ehis999: 11:23am On May 08, 2013
al-qaeda:

BROS, AM JUST HAVING A GOOD TIME. BE HAPPY FOR ME.

Your name carries a lot of liabilities, you will be amazed that the intelligence agencies are hot on your heels...checking every second of your life!

1 Like

Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by RedLight1: 11:23am On May 08, 2013
janga: Chelsea beat Barca->Guardiola out.

lmao

best team in england = chelsea
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by Nobody: 11:24am On May 08, 2013
Sir Alex Ferguson, you are the chairman. You are the greatest coach. Sir, please enjoy your retirement.

Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by ehis999: 11:25am On May 08, 2013

see a man's selective pseudo-logic...

Chelsea beat Bayern and others but they didn't lose managers now...

2 Likes

Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by kolaoloye(m): 11:26am On May 08, 2013
A great manager indeed. kiss
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by adctrl: 11:26am On May 08, 2013
There is no doubt that SAF is a living legend when it comes to football management as he is up there with the greats.
As much as I used to dislike him, I can't fault his commitment and same he has impacted on his players over the years.... the 'must win' mentality is never lacking in his teams
He has been so much enriched and long enough in the English football such that all the officials met him on the stage and thereby favour him and his teams than any others and the same applies partly to all 'big' teams against the 'small' ones like Wigan, QPR, Reading etc.

What his retirement means for Man United is that they will drop more points than they would have done if Fergie was still in charge and concede more penalties etc where the officials would have ignored for the fear of Fergie's wrath.

The team mostly going to gain is Man City

Go Gunners!!!
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by Nobody: 11:26am On May 08, 2013

How many Chelsea coaches were sacked? lol

4 Likes

Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by ABUGEORGE(m): 11:26am On May 08, 2013
Dat is my coach, a great and living legend. I appreciate ur achievement toward man u no one can be compared wit u
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by saintneo(m): 11:26am On May 08, 2013
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by TechyGuy: 11:27am On May 08, 2013
All hail the Manchester and EPL legend Sir. Alex.

Choi, I hope the new manager renews/retains Howard Webb's contract. He is highly needed for no 21. grin

1 Like

Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by pure123: 11:27am On May 08, 2013
although i am a chelsea fan........but this is still one of the best coach in d world.......stephen keshi should take from there.........UP CHELSEA....Baba don know say with special one's return naa more wahala for him.
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by Phikom(m): 11:27am On May 08, 2013
a living legend!!! undisputedly the greatest PL manager of all time...ur achievement lingers on
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by ehis999: 11:29am On May 08, 2013
[quote author=Zet72][/quote]

Liverpool?
Is that the name of a top club in the EPL?
I really doubt?!
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by Nobody: 11:31am On May 08, 2013
i Aav a very gud reason y 'DAVID' will nt do well in man u.
undecided[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by ifysoft: 11:33am On May 08, 2013
will surely miss fergie.. I love his style.. enjoy SIR...
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by elampiro(m): 11:33am On May 08, 2013
Ferguson took the plunge into management with East Stirling in July 1974 then moved to First Division side St Mirren in October of the same year. He promptly guided the Paisley club to the championship in 1976-77 and, despite doing so on limited resources, Ferguson was sacked three years into his tenure after a disagreement with the club's chairman.

He eventually joined Aberdeen in August 1978 and transformed an average side into the form team of the 1980s, breaking Rangers and Celtic's stranglehold on Scottish football, and led the Granite City club to three league titles, four Scottish Cups and a League Cup in eight seasons. His greatest achievement , though, came in 1983, when he led Aberdeen to a 2-1 victory over the mighty Real Madrid in the European Cup Winners' Cup.

He rejected lucrative offers from Barcelona, Arsenal, Rangers and Tottenham to take control of Manchester United in November 1986, and his initial years, when he had to contend with a drinking culture at the club, were a struggle.

However, the club showed patience as Ferguson rebuilt the club in minute detail and revamped the youth system, shipping out many crowd favourites.

It has often been contended, although just as often denied, that his job was on the line early in 1990, when - despite heavy investment the previous summer - a dismal run of form saw United plummet down the table. It was suggested that a poor result against Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup third round would have been the final straw, but Mark Robins scored the goal said to have saved his job. The club kept faith, and were rewarded with FA Cup glory that summer, and their first trophy of the Ferguson era. A year later, United lifted the European Cup Winners' Cup.

In the newly founded 'Premier League', Ferguson found more success; the arrival of enigmatic Frenchman Eric Cantona proved to be the final piece of the jigsaw and United finally won the league title in 1992-93, ending a 26-year drought. Then the 1993-94 season saw United stamp their authority on English football as Ferguson claimed his first Double - beating Blackburn Rovers to the league title and crushing Chelsea 4-0 in the FA Cup final.

Another Double came two years later, and with "Fergie's Fledglings" - David Beckham, the Neville Brothers, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Ryan Giggs - in full flight, they went one better in 1998-99 by claiming an historic Treble with a 2-1 win over Bayern Munich in the Champions League. The manager was subsequently knighted - becoming Sir Alex Ferguson - in the Queen's birthday honours list as a reward for his services to British football.

The 2000-01 season saw United cruise to another title, this time wrapping it up in mid-April, as Ferguson became the first manager to win three English League titles in a row to become the most successful manager in the history of English football. In 2001-02, Ferguson announced his retirement, hoping for a glorious farewell with the Champions League final due to take place at Hampden Park, Glasgow, but United ended the season empty-handed, and the Scot reversed his decision, vowing that he would never again foreshadow his retirement.

The following season brought another league title, but with the challenge of Arsenal and then Chelsea came a fallow period. In 2005-06, there were serious questions raised as to Ferguson's future, with many believing that the below-par United side, which exited the Champions League at the group stage, was evidence of a manager whose time had passed.

Yet he defied the doubters, building his third team at Old Trafford, this time around the youthful brilliance of Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney. United won three back-to-back titles from 2007 to 2009, and also claimed a further Champions League title, beating Chelsea on penalties in Moscow in 2008.

In 2009, United equalled Liverpool's record 18 league titles, and overtook that haul in 2011. The following year saw United denied as they lost the title to rivals Manchester City on goal difference in the cruellest of circumstances but, in 2013, the Red Devils ruled again, with Robin van Persie, signed from Arsenal the previous summer, leading the charge.

In May, with the title sealed, Ferguson announced his retirement at the age of 71, after spending over a quarter of a century in charge of one of the world's biggest clubs.
http://espnfc.com/manager/_/id/30/sir-alex-ferguson
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by akpos4uall(m): 11:38am On May 08, 2013
pro01:

Mourinho is a scatter-brained journeyman. He lacks the maturity, staying power, professionalism, patience, and discipline required to succeed a man like Sir Alex. A fool like Mourinho would manage the club for two or three years and find a reason to flee elsewhere. Compare that with the stability Six Alex brought to Man U with his 26-year stewardship. I'd say a man like David Moyes is the perfect fit. Mourinho would destroy Man U. Even as a Chelsea fan, I don't want Mourinho back in Chelsea, it would be "great" if he took his bullshyte to Man U.
You've just said the bitter truth about the so called special one. For the first time I'm hearing this from a chelsea fan. You're indeed a true chelsea fan who cares about the future and not just the present.

2 Likes

Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by Gbenge77(m): 11:42am On May 08, 2013
Although he comes across as annoying at times,his accomplishments as United Gaffer are astonishing.Managing a fabulous football club such as United for over two decades makes him an extraordinarily amazing man.YES,his achievements are unsurpassed in English football.Will other managers pick up the gauntlet?We shall have to wait and see
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by jimino(m): 11:42am On May 08, 2013
weldön sir, u hv tried 4 d game. Wish u hapi retirement.
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by elampiro(m): 11:44am On May 08, 2013
The 25 years at Manchester United have yielded 37 trophies but Brown points out Ferguson’s achievements at Aberdeen were perhaps even more praiseworthy. Under Ferguson, the Pittodrie club won three league titles, four Scottish Cups and a Scottish League Cup, alongside the European Cup Winners’ Cup and the UEFA Super Cup, both in 1983.

Full report here.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/football/sir-alex-ferguson-anatomy-of-the-greatest.2013058946?_=4d5171fcc48afca06a9718596d2798ef09c34ece.

Surely a legend. A man who turned a low club, Aberdeen to king of Scottish football at the expense of Rangers and Celtic is a genius. He even made his stamp known in Europe at such a small club. Respect.
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by Nobody: 11:45am On May 08, 2013
akpos4uall:
You've just said my mind about the so called special one. For the first time I'm hearing this from a chelsea fan. You're indeed a true chelsea fan who cares about the future and not just the present.

So, you actually think that lousy hick who knows nothing about football said anything intelligent in his rant, don't you? SMFDH.. sad

Did Mourinho leave Chelses FC, or was he sacked?

I don't know why all these Abramovich era Chelsea supporters are always the loudest everywhere...

We the real Chelsea supporters know what time it's, and Jose Mourinho is our man!
Re: Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager by lertee(f): 11:46am On May 08, 2013
Unexpected though but baba fergie did well,he's an achiever and indeed a living legend worth celebrating...Up Manchester United

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Manchester City Vs Chelsea 1 - 0 On 15th January 2022 / Stoke Vs Arsenal (3 - 2) On 6th December 2014 / Zenit Vs Chelsea UCL (3 - 3) On 8th December 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.