Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Official: David Moyes Takes Over At Old Trafford - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official: David Moyes Takes Over At Old Trafford (834 Views)

David Moyes Appointed Manchester United Boss / David Moyes Confirmed As Manchester United New Manager / Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Official: David Moyes Takes Over At Old Trafford by BashToks: 4:44pm On May 09, 2013
Manchester United have appointed David Moyes as their new manager on a six-year
deal.
The 50-year-old will leave Everton to replace Reds legend Sir Alex Ferguson, who
announced on Wednesday that he would call time on his illustrious 26-year reign at
Old Trafford at the end of the season.
Moyes is a manager cast in Ferguson's mould and will be tasked with maintaining the
remarkable levels of success attained by his predecessor. He will start the job on July
Moyes said: "It's a great honour to be asked to be the next manager of Manchester
United.
"I am delighted that Sir Alex saw fit to recommend me for the job. I have great
respect for everything he has done and for the football club.
"I know how hard it will be to follow the best manager ever, but the opportunity to
manage Manchester United isn't something that comes around very often and I'm
really looking forward to taking up the post next season."
Announcing his successor Ferguson added: "When we discussed the candidates that
we felt had the right attributes we unanimously agreed on David Moyes. David is a
man of great integrity with a strong work ethic.
"I've admired his work for a long time and approached him as far back as 1998 to
discuss the position of Assistant Manager here. He was a young man then at the start
of his career and has since gone on to do a magnificent job at Everton. There is no
question he has all the qualities we expect of a manager at this Club.”
Chief executive David Gill said: “I’m delighted that David has agreed to join
Manchester United. He has done a terrific job at Everton and has all the qualities that
we are looking for in a manager to succeed Alex.”
Owner Avie Glazer confirmed that Ferguson's recommendation had been crucial in
the search for the new man.
He said: "“The search for a new manager has been very short. Alex was very clear
with his recommendation and we are delighted that David has agreed to accept the
job. He comes to us with excellent credentials and a strong track record."
Sir Bobby Charlton added: “I have always said that we wanted the next manager to
be a genuine Manchester United man. In David Moyes, we have someone who
understands the things that make this such a special club. We have secured a man
who is committed to the long-term and will build teams for the future as well as
now. Stability breeds success."
Moyes becomes United's 20th manager, and the seventh Scot, joining a select list
which includes Sir Matt Busby, Tommy Docherty and, of course, Ferguson himself.
Moyes has gained widespread respect for his exploits at Everton, who he has turned
from regular relegation candidates to European contenders.
Moyes will get his first taste of the difference between managing Everton and the
job he is now set to undertake in July when he flies to Thailand for the start of
United's pre-season tour.
It is not uncommon in the Far East for United staff to find fans waiting outside rooms,
whilst it is almost obligatory for scores to camp outside hotels throughout any Reds
stay.
Moyes' first official game in charge will be the Community Shield against either
Manchester City or Wigan at Wembley on August 11, which could have become
Ferguson's 50th trophy.
That statistic alone is enough to water the eyes of a man whose only silverware was
the Second Division title he won at Preston in 2000.
With Ferguson remaining on the board, his shadow will hang over the club for a good
while yet, whilst decisions on a backroom team who have shared in so much success
over the years, and who know the intricacies of United so well, will be interesting.

Re: Official: David Moyes Takes Over At Old Trafford by BashToks: 4:47pm On May 09, 2013

Re: Official: David Moyes Takes Over At Old Trafford by BashToks: 4:49pm On May 09, 2013
New Boss

Re: Official: David Moyes Takes Over At Old Trafford by BashToks: 4:50pm On May 09, 2013
Moyes

Re: Official: David Moyes Takes Over At Old Trafford by BashToks: 4:51pm On May 09, 2013
Kukere dance after signing the 6-year contract smiley

Re: Official: David Moyes Takes Over At Old Trafford by mukina2: 5:44pm On May 09, 2013

(1)

10 Crazy Premier League Facts You Didn't Know / S/Final Barcelona vs Liverpool 01 May, 2019 8pm / Arsenal (2) Vs Middlesbrough (0) On Sunday 26th April

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.