Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,223 members, 7,825,848 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Bob Marley Day 2013 - Tribute To A Legend - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Bob Marley Day 2013 - Tribute To A Legend (25126 Views)

Marley Day: Things You Need To Know About The Rastafarian Legend / 2015 Bob Marley Day: Remembering A Legend Who Died 34 years ago / Tonto Dikeh's Touching Tribute To The Late Muna Obiekwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bob Marley Day 2013 - Tribute To A Legend by Kenedex: 10:22am On May 12, 2013
CHAIRMAN1: Jah bless all dem zion men, fire brun babylon.... Brah!!!
I was born on may 10 thesame year bob die my tribut to bob marley I nva get ur good song
Re: Bob Marley Day 2013 - Tribute To A Legend by bushbull: 2:24pm On May 12, 2013
Crazy baldhead
Rat race
Africans unit
Burning ma wee* till dawn
Re: Bob Marley Day 2013 - Tribute To A Legend by bushbull: 2:25pm On May 12, 2013
Crazy baldhead
Rat race
Africans unit
Burning ma wee* till dawn
RIP Bob marley
Re: Bob Marley Day 2013 - Tribute To A Legend by Shinor(m): 5:11pm On May 12, 2013
To de gal like Gilgal...I & I say BIG up your chest 24/7 right round cah yu safe.
Most outstanding thread ...trust me.
Bob is a Legend . Ah nuff tune im mek. But mos of all I & I love " See de hypocrites" Cah nuff hypocrites deh 'bout.....You dun know
Guidance an I'tection
JAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHova Jireh

1 Like

Re: Bob Marley Day 2013 - Tribute To A Legend by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 12, 2013
Is this Love
No Woman No Cry
Night shift
Waiting in Vain
Buffalo Soldier
Redemption Song

My Day always seem incomplete without listening to this tracks.
Re: Bob Marley Day 2013 - Tribute To A Legend by Boa4u: 6:09am On May 13, 2013
A mmi fell ireee,as me remember fi legend man,jah guide and bless all d zionist and fire burnt all the babylonian,,one lov rasterfarite,,,long live legend bob marley
Re: Bob Marley Day 2013 - Tribute To A Legend by Nobody: 6:22am On May 13, 2013
[size=13pt]My ultimate favorite cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsBBfqWNkjs

My favorite performance cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DipcpBDFU_8

His ending always saddens me. I don't think any normal person would have lasted as long as he did. I truly think his constant working and smoking of marijuana masked any symptoms he may have had. Aaaah, RIP.[/size]
Re: Bob Marley Day 2013 - Tribute To A Legend by Stopercent: 3:21pm On May 13, 2013
Marley Day in Brixton.

Bob Marley ranks among both the most popular and the most misunderstood figures in modern culture ... That the machine has utterly emasculated Marley is beyond doubt. Gone from the public record is the ghetto kid who dreamed of Che Guevara and the Black Panthers, and pinned their posters up in the Wailers Soul Shack record store; who believed in freedom; and the fighting which it necessitated, and dressed the part on an early album sleeve; whose heroes were James Brown and Muhammad Ali; whose God was Ras Tafari and whose sacrament was marijuana. Instead, the Bob Marley who surveys his kingdom today is smiling benevolence, a shining sun, a waving palm tree, and a string of hits which tumble out of polite radio like candy from a gumball machine. Of course it has assured his immortality. But it has also demeaned him beyond recognition. Bob Marley was worth far more.
- Dave Thompson

Bob Marley was the Third World's first pop superstar. He was the man who introduced the world to the mystic power of reggae. He was a true rocker at heart, and as a songwriter, he brought the lyrical force of Bob Dylan, the personal charisma of John Lennon, and the essential vocal stylings of Smokey Robinson into one voice.
- Jann Wenner

I grew up in Kaduna. Kay Dee..... Kada city. We actually lived along the banks of the River Kaduna, the area known as Ungwar Rimi low cost. Sometimes when the river tides got high and we were lucky, we'd spot the crocodiles. It was a wonderful time. In those day Kay Dee was known for its cosmopolitan vibe. All the different geopolitical zones were ably represented on my street and we didn't notice. We just lived together and that was it. A man was respected based on how well he handled his responsibilities. It was never about where he worshiped or the where he came from. In those days our parents' cars were usually registered in their states of origin; that's usually the only thing that told us a family's origin. Anyway enough about the Kay dee of old. This is supposed to be about Nesta Robert Marley.

I just had to go on a bit about Kay dee cos that's where I fell in love with reggae. For us in those days, reggae meant Bob Marley. We grew up listening to Bob Marley and we really listened. We listened to him speak of freedom, love and respect. We looked up to Bob. He was wise, kind and good. But most of all, he was cool. I remember when as a 7 year old I received my first green, yellow and red armband. I still consider it the coolest gift my elder brother has ever given me even though he recently paid for my wedding reception. I tried growing dreads at some point till my mum threatened to destroy my Marley tapes. The message was clear: get your priorities straight. I got it: listening to bob marley is more important than looking like him. But at some point, I needed to feel the way he must have felt when he was on stage. It was along the banks of river Kay dee that I had my first spliff. I shared it with my big brother who told me: don't fall in love with this shit. Those days it was only the big boys who smoked. But my big bro was respected and he respected me. So when he told the boys that I was ok, they allowed me to smoke. Since then, I have always attached smoking to respect. Marley also had a strong influence on my love life. Back in the day, it was the hard men who had girlfriends. To have a steady chic, man you had to have game. That usually meant that you needed the right flow. Girls were never a problem for me in those days. The girls didn't really stand a chance against my library of marley lyrics.. I wanna love you and treat you right..... It's this love I feel.... Listening to marley really gave me game.

I spent 11 May 2013 in the UK. My big brother called me on the 9th and asked how I was gonna spend marley day. I was so busy that I had actually forgotten marley day. Being in the UK I figured that London was gonna rock. After all that's where Bob Marley recorded some of his hardest hits. So I looked up on the Internet for any bob Marley events in London. I searched and searched to no avail. Finally I just had to settle for some reggae beat down that was advertised to take place at Brixton. I had been in the country for about 3 weeks so I was excited to go someplace where I'd be able to smoke and meditate while listening to good music on Marley day. Brixton is a multiethnic community in south London. Around 25 percent of its population is of African and Caribbean descent so there is supposed to be a heavy reggae following. I arrived too early for the show so I asked the bouncers to recommend a good pub where I could chill before the show. They gave me some directions. I figured I would smoke some weed before the show so I decided to get some before I went to the pub.

If you know what to look for, you can always spot a drug dealer in any crowd. Soon enough I located one. He told me that the least he had was for 10 quid so that's what I got. I then located a park and proceeded to roll a joint. As I opened the stuff, I discovered that it was just thyme! That m.......f...er!!!!. Shit! I was mad. I tried looking for the man but he was gone. I couldn't believe that a wake up naija boy like me had just been ripped off by a fifty something year old jamo. So I decided to look for another dealer. I was more careful this time so by the time I went to the beat down I was high as a kite. I got a drink an settled down to listen to the DJs. The music was good but it was not the exact sound that i was looking for. The only songs i recognised were a song each by Sly Dunbar, Robbie Shakespeare and Don Carlos. All the other jams were more of jungle dance or garage music. I looked around and it was all white people dancing. You could not see any rhythm in their dance, there was no flavor. Luckily for me I was high so I could still appreciate the fun of the whole thing. I continued ordering my drinks and watching.

As the evening progressed, some old skool musicians came on stage to perform. These were old men, old black men, old reggae men. They did a good job. As I watched them I estimated that they would be in their sixties. I realized that they would probably be contemporaries of Bob Marley if he were still alive. So when they got off the stage, I followed them as they proceeded to the smoking area and sure enough they had already rolled their jumbos. I politely asked to join them and permission was granted. The thing about jamba is that it has a serous bonding effect on people. In less than 15 minutes, we all knew each others names, marital status, professions and so many other things like that. One of them was actually a professor of linguistics. They were just amateur jammers. I told them I thought they were awesome and asked why they were not playing any Marley jams especially as today was Marley day. That question surprised them on 2 different levels. First, they didn't even acknowledge the date. Second, they were surprised that I, a black man from Africa was interested in Bob Marley reggae. I then got to find out that reggae was at it peak when Bob Marley was at his peak. After his death, the genre has been in steady decline. The eighties were the last golden years for reggae. The loud success of rap music has muffled the retreat of reggae to the background. Reggae has metamorphosed and its fans have also changed. It's now jungle, ska and garage dance hall music that is favored by predominantly white crowds.

As if to drive their point home, when we got back into the show, it was a white boy on stage bursting rhymes to the jungle beat. But damn! this boy was good. As I listened, I began to appreciate this new beat. But I still couldn't figure out why there were so few young black people in reggae. I looked around and located quite a number of blacks. None of them was dancing, they just hung back in the background; watching and nodding in time to the music. The rhythm of their nodding as if in acquiescence of their betrayal of such a great sound. I then realized that I was also nodding.

Even in Brixton, home to the biggest jamaican population in the UK, on the 11th of May, a guy can't listen to Bob Marley.
Re: Bob Marley Day 2013 - Tribute To A Legend by GasAndOilTheory(m): 11:08pm On Jul 24, 2017
gilgal7:
been listenin to babylon soldiers,redemption sang,no woman no cry....busy burnin da ganja....fire alarm blaring bin covard by da white cloud....white clouds comin out of chimneys...long live rasteferians....rest in peace bob...we luv u.....let me kill dis killer beefah da killer kill me....big ups....boooomboclart....respect jah
just checked ur dp... nice lips. ur beautiful too

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Susan Peters' Bikini Body In New Photoshoot / Jidenna: I Took A Class In The US To Speak Igbo More Fluently / Zaaki Azzay Acquires New G-wagon Shows It Off On Instagram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.