Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,030 members, 7,866,895 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 07:37 AM

Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar (16711 Views)

Okagbare Clinches Third Position IAAF Diamond League Zurich / Okagbare Jumps 7.04m To Win Diamond League In Monaco / Okagbare Wins 200M In London Diamond League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:50pm On May 13, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Of course it's her real age. She's an American jumper. Id question her age if she was in a Nigerian team

Isnt she on the Nigerian team ? undecided

Or

Did she change ? undecided
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:50pm On May 13, 2013
Diasporan:
That's true.There is this High school where i go play soccer in my spare time.You have to see the facilities the school has for athletes and the serious drills the high school athletes both male and female undergo in the evenings.Their soccer pitch can host any training section of major European clubs.The whole system is all about catching them young

That's the way forward... and they also encourage the ones from poor background to work hard so as to be eligible for scholarships in higher education... That's the best system out there, to be honest...
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Diasporan(m): 10:51pm On May 13, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Of course it's her real age. She's an American jumper. Id question her age if she was in a Nigerian team
What are you saying girl?undecided undecided undecided
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 13, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Abi o. She was a top competitor for her university- University of Texas El Paso, at the NCAA championships; winning many events and awards.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 13, 2013
adaobi123:

Or

That was for the Olympics. She plays for the good USA
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 13, 2013
adaobi123:

Or

She is still very much part of the Nigerian set-up. Like I said earlier, she is a sure-banker to make the team to the IAAF world championships.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:53pm On May 13, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

She still competes for Naija
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:53pm On May 13, 2013
CFCfan:

She is still very much part of the Nigerian set-up. Like I said earlier, she is a sure-banker to make the team to the IAAF world championships.

Which Nigerian set up?

CFCfan:

For the Olympics, yea
Texas.Cowgirl:

Which Nigerian set up?
CFCfan:

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by tglobal(m): 10:54pm On May 13, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

I think she still represents Nigeria and in the last meet in Doha, she had the Nigerian flag against her name
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:54pm On May 13, 2013
Da heck would she be doing wasting her time with low-funded Nigeria?
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 13, 2013
CFCfan:
grin grin

She'll turn 25 later this year. I believe that's her real age tho because she looks 'youngish' and is still at the top of her game. cool

If you say so. I just don't trust Nigerian sportsmen/women when it comes to age.

Since she was born and raised in naija, there's no way anyone can prove what her real age is..

And she also won a bronze medal at the Beijing olympics in 2008(at age 18/19ish).. Err.. That's impressive.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 13, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

For the Olympics, yea

She will also compete in other international tourneys for Naija i.e African Athletics Championships, All Africa games etc.
CFCfan:

Hopefully, O God in heaven, its over to you now. grin

However, I hope she improves on her start in running, they were quite bad during the Olympics. undecided
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:56pm On May 13, 2013
CFCfan:

She will also compete in other international tourneys for Naija i.e African Athletics Championships, All Africa games etc.

What a waste cry
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by 360command: 10:56pm On May 13, 2013
Finally, she got a medal. I can remember how this girl tried so hard for her country to be in the 3rd position but I mean, wen a country is not prepared for a competition, you don't expect to see positive achievement . I am so happy for her that she came out with a medal for now. She is a true patriot of Nigeria. Keep it up Blessing !
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:56pm On May 13, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Da heck wold she be doing wasting her time with low-funded Nigeria?

Maybe she feels she would have more international opportunities with Naija, than if she decides to compete for the U.S.

Don't forget that there were many American-born Nigerian athletes, competing for Nigeria at the last Olympics
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by j4jj: 10:57pm On May 13, 2013
Diasporan:
Bro don't get it twisted.Winners do go home with some cash after such events?Anything that makes her slow tempo how will she pay her bills?all in the name of slowing tempo for bigger games that you might end up not qualifying for.Lets say some younger sprinters springs up tomorrow that are faster what will be her fate for qualification for the bigger stage?

Anyways! Based on the little games I hv watched in athletics! I notice that Athletes don't expose their season's best before and during the preliminary stages, they manage the qualifying stages until they gv out their all on the D-day! Its best an athletes knew what he or she is capable of privately before going out there to perform! Jst like the saying watever u do in secrecy shall definitely be blown openly! My opinion
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:58pm On May 13, 2013
Diasporan:
Shymexx i know her personally.My friend use to be her boy friend way back.In terms of age she didn't lie.Athletics is not soccer you know tongue tongue

Alright, bro.

Also, at age 18 she broke the Nigerian record of 14.13 metres in the triple jump - that's impressive.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by tglobal(m): 10:58pm On May 13, 2013
Athletes normally know when they are in top shape. I knew we were in for something special this season (injury permitting) when she set up a website counting down to moscow:http://blessingokagbare.wix.com/blessingokagbare . You generally don't do that unless you know something is kicking within you.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:58pm On May 13, 2013
adaobi123:

Hopefully, O God in heaven, its over to you now. grin

However, I hope she improves on her start in running, they were quite bad during the Olympics. undecided

Yep, her coach (Smith) has to work on that. Imagine if she had a much faster start, she may be running close to 10.7 secs or faster! She could be the female Usain Bolt.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by jasper7(m): 10:59pm On May 13, 2013
fckyourman:

Americans in what sports ?. Just basketball and american soccer i presume. the reason behind that, is every black person wants to be athletic in america not in nigeria.

In Europe check every football club you will see a black guy.
Americans is almost every sport... add swimming, Track events and all what not. Like it or not Nigeria does not have programs for athletes, forgetting that education is not all about carrying books and wearing geeky glasses
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Diasporan(m): 11:00pm On May 13, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Da heck would she be doing wasting her time with low-funded Nigeria?
grin grin grin

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 11:00pm On May 13, 2013
shymexx:

Alright, bro.

Also, at age 18 she broke the Nigerian record of 14.13 metres in the triple jump - that's impressive.

She is a Delta girl, so that's not too surprising.

At the national sports festivals in Naija, Delta and Edo States usually top the medals table.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 11:02pm On May 13, 2013
CFCfan:

Yep, her coach (Smith) has to work on that. Imagine if she had a much faster start, she may be running close to 10.7 secs or faster! She could be the female Usain Bolt.

The girl has potential to beat the likes Fraser and Jeter. When that day finally comes, I go celebrate grin grin cool
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 13, 2013
adaobi123:

The girl has potential to beat the likes Fraser and Jeter. When that day finally comes, I go celebrate grin grin cool

That's the ish. Firstly though, if she gets a medal (whether individual or relay) in Moscow this August, I'll be so happy.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by babyboy3(m): 11:05pm On May 13, 2013
Probably choke when it matters just like the rest
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 11:05pm On May 13, 2013
CFCfan:

That's the ish. Firstly though, if she gets a medal (whether individual or relay) in Moscow this August, I'll be so happy.

World Champs right ? I'll be glued to my tv screen tongue
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by tglobal(m): 11:05pm On May 13, 2013
CFCfan:

I believe you.With her form in the last olympics(Heats and Semi Finals), she had what it took to run 10.85 in that final, but then finals take more than just ability.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Diasporan(m): 11:07pm On May 13, 2013
adaobi123:

Its going to be difficult.American Athletes are enhanced professionally with some drugs no one not even IAAF can detect.It is professional done.That's why they all marvel at Usain Bolt's consistent performance.You will be so shocked to know the number of test they put the lad through all in a bit to stop him but the dude is a 'god' as far the track is concern.Men don't dictate for gods instead gods dictate and set the pace.Team Bolt all the way
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 13, 2013
tglobal:

I believe you.With her form in the last olympics(Heats and Semi Finals), she had what it took to run 10.85 in that final, but then finals take more than just ability.

I know, right. The African 100m record of 10.90, held by Gloria Alozie, will be broken by Okagbare!
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 13, 2013
CFCfan:
She is a Delta girl, so that's not too surprising.

At the national sports festivals in Naija, Delta and Edo States usually top the medals table.

Alright, bro.

Anyway, she did her thing at the olympics but she was overwhelmed at the finals...

However, I doubt those Jamaican and American athletes are clean..

Imagine a Justin Gatlin that was banned years ago for using PEDs.

Only to come back and start running faster than he did when he was using PEDs - madness.. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Yaya Toure Is African Footballer For 2012 : Glo CAF Awards 2012 / Bayern Munich Beat Mexican Club, Tigres To Win The FIFA Club World Cup / World Cup: Inmates To Watch Matches In Enugu Prisons – Controller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.