Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,966 members, 7,828,436 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. (9040 Views)

Yoruba Elders Orders Fulani Herdsmen To Leave Their Land Or: Vanguard / Cameroonian Gendarmes Force Bakassi Indigenes To Leave Their Homeland / PHCN Plans To Distribute Energy-saving Bulbs To All Households (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by MrCork: 1:19pm On May 16, 2013
.. for fear of evil spirt undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Pray(m): 1:21pm On May 16, 2013
Because they don't own a prepaid meter yet. When they do, they will learn to switch-off the bedroom lights when leaving for the living room.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 16, 2013
The reason is that whether you consume electricity or not, you will get a monthly estimated bill. Given the fact that there is poor power supply in some areas, people tend not to care when they leave their lights on at daytime. But go to areas where pre-paid metres are in use, the trend is different.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by gbame(m): 1:22pm On May 16, 2013
Tolexander: Actually, in my own area, the plaudit reason i think causes the act is most times in the night when there is light, and before waking up the following morning, the PHCN might have off the light. Some people always forget to switch off their light before going to their working place, so when the light is restored, the bulbs will be on till they come back to switch them off.

I agree with you also, I also think if you are using a prepaid meter and you are conscious of electricity consumption you will always switch off all electrical appliances when not in use.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Pacesetter2: 1:25pm On May 16, 2013
Burger01: I know of a friend who would never sleep with light off. Maybe na witch thing..

undecided

& what if light no dey?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Dewze(m): 1:25pm On May 16, 2013
@alpha konde. The more you save energy the more you have power, and so the more reasonable your bills become.

Wisdom Nigerians, wisdom.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 16, 2013
Because there's just this nice feeling that comes with leaving the lights on. If the lights are turned off, everywhere will be dull.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by lightheart(m): 1:30pm On May 16, 2013
In the zanga, na to let others get awareness say light dey.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Mishydoo(m): 1:35pm On May 16, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Wow, so they have electricity/power in naija? shocked shocked

Nooo!We use candle wraped in glass and hung upside down...stinky BABOON!!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by redsun(m): 1:38pm On May 16, 2013
mollytinrox: Because there's just this nice feeling that comes with leaving the lights on. If the lights are turned off, everywhere will be dull.

Oh yeah!What happens to the idea of conservation,saving money and saving the planet?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Dewze(m): 1:45pm On May 16, 2013
The electricity tht is distributed to your house is first stored somewhere, just like ur UPS stores power for ur computers. Those tht ve a UPS at home or in the office shld know how this works. The more indiscriminately u use this power at a given time the less it is available for u at other times. Tht is part of the reasons why PHCN shares any available power btwn streets and communities (i.e 6hrs for this area and the next 6hrs for the other area).
Believe me, if we change this bad habit we wld be having more hours of power supply at a given time, not necessarily lower tariffs but more hours of power. It is a give and take situation here.

Wisdom Nigerians, wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by nahinbdis: 1:46pm On May 16, 2013
And I think it is both a result of poor home training and a culture of estimated bills.

Growing up, our metre was always read, hence you dare not leave a light on needlessly or you get spanked by my dad of course.

Living in my own house now, ' turn off the lights as am stepping out 7 any room. And if power goes off before morning, l turn off the outside lights before leaving the house.

NOTE : The metre in my house now is not read!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by successking: 1:47pm On May 16, 2013
As for me, there is no constant power supply and people believe that the light will not stay long when it is on, and so forget about turning the light off even in broad day light.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Nobody: 1:48pm On May 16, 2013
They're not used to 24hrs constant electricity
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by seglan(m): 1:52pm On May 16, 2013
I use to switch off all bulbs/socket I don't need and force my family to practice same, but what do I see at the end of the month; high BILL, meanwhile a neighbour beside M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ that put on all the security light (100 watts) for 24 hour get same bill as I do.
So I decide to put all light on too, since they'll bring sAme bill

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 16, 2013
When ever am coming back to the house and see light at the first building in my street i will know that there is light thereby i will speedup to make use of the light before dem mad niggas do am piam.... @OP, is a habit that is very old and embedded in us who has spent the better part of our life in Nigeria and we don't see it at a responsibility to off the light even when its not on use. In-fact i enjoy seeing them on anytime of the day.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by farem: 2:01pm On May 16, 2013
I WOULDN'T WANT TO DISTURB MYSELF READING THE BODY OF THIS HEAD-LINE,.
It makes no difference to put off your light. Why? Even he your transformer is removed for 9 months by NEPA itself OR you travelled out for months/YEARS you will still be served bills!
I emine it amusing when certain tv stations will be wasting quality airtime with someone ranting about we Nigerians not conserving energy. I ask them: HOW MANY TIME HAVE I LEFT MY GSM RUNNING LIKE NEPA BULB? SO WE NIGERIANS ARE STRUGGLING TO SEE A BETTER PART OF OUR BILLS PAID USED!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by redsun(m): 2:03pm On May 16, 2013
nahinbdis: And I think it is both a result of poor home training and a culture of estimated bills.

Growing up, our metre was always read, hence you dare not leave a light on needlessly or you get spanked by my dad of course.

Living in my own house now, ' turn off the lights as am stepping out 7 any room. And if power goes off before morning, l turn off the outside lights before leaving the house.

NOTE : The metre in my house now is not read!

If it not read and you don't have a prepaid or smart meter,how on earth do they calculate your usage then?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Egbagirl(f): 2:04pm On May 16, 2013
seglan: I use to switch off all bulbs/socket I don't need and force my family to practice same, but what do I see at the end of the month; high BILL, meanwhile a neighbour beside M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ that put on all the security light (100 watts) for 24 hour get same bill as I do.
So I decide to put all light on too, since they'll bring sAme bill

HAHAHAHAHAA you vex no be small o.

redsun:

Oh yeah!What happens to the idea of conservation,saving money and saving the planet?

saving the planet bros dat one na long tin o. lol. wetin concern average Nigerian wit saving d planet? dem deyy hustle for food, u dey talk planet? lol. no time.

(Btw, I'm not saying that mentality is right but it's the sad truth. Only those that have access to basic amenities and are living a somewhat comfortable life can be talking about energy conservation. Market woman understand wetin all dat grammar mean? Education as well is important. Dat one sef no dey.)

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by silica(m): 2:05pm On May 16, 2013
They should try that with prepaid meter. Am sure no one using prepaid meter does it. I believe that's a solution to power wastage by Nigerians.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by otokx(m): 2:10pm On May 16, 2013
Indiscipline
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by redsun(m): 2:12pm On May 16, 2013
Egba girl:

HAHAHAHAHAA you vex no be small o.

saving the planet bros dat one na long tin o. lol. wetin concern average Nigerian wit saving d planet? dem deyy hustle for food, u dey talk planet? lol. no time.

(Btw, I'm not saying that mentality is right but it's the sad truth. Only those that have access to basic amenities and are living a somewhat comfortable life can be talking about energy conservation. Market woman understand wetin all dat grammar mean? Education as well is important. Dat one sef no dey.)

They gonna have to learn by force,you know.Because all those catastrophic weather they are experiencing these days in nigeria that never use to happen are mainly as a result of man's unchecked carbon emission into the atmosphere.

Although they can't be seen as the main culprits,since they hardly get electricity supply.But every time they turn on that light switch with or with the need for it,they emit man carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Dewze(m): 2:25pm On May 16, 2013
@seglan. I wld like to ask if you first tried to reach tht neighbour of urs and sell the beauty of the idea to him before allowing his bad habit to influence ur good habit? I cld say u were of a higher reasoning than tht neighbour of urs b4 u brought urself down to his level.

'My neighbour refuses to clean up his gutter and so I will stop cleaning mine and when the flood comes it will wash both of us away'. Shld I call tht fairness or a bit of insanity?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 16, 2013
I just tire!
I have also noticed this. they either leave lights on in daytime or they have no lights around their houses night time.
Its really puzzling!
undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 16, 2013
Dunce!
Gentle Naaz: TNZ dAT hPNS oNLY iN NIgerIA
1. Na only in naija, pesn go dy drive wt hs light on during hot afternoon.
2. Na only in naija, arm robers dy chaleng govt
3. Na only in naija, wey me n u dy
4. Na only 4 naija, Nasarawa utd go beat Enyimba 6-0. Dn enyimba go turn am 8-0 for dia home

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Hanihairy(m): 2:33pm On May 16, 2013
Ma neighbour bulb is always lightin 24/7...it got me so pissd off dat one day i decided 2 trace it 2 find were he had place d switch...bt i was in 4 a suprise since there was no switch,d connection was direct,it's only switch was NEPA

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Gudiza(m): 2:39pm On May 16, 2013
ELgordo: ...to kip the puff puff hot

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by CROWE: 2:39pm On May 16, 2013
Because people simply forget, this happens globally and has nothing to do with Nigeria. People turn light bulbs on because they need the light, it affects them directly but turning it off is about saving electricity and doesn't directly affect us so it can be easy to forget and ignore it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by ayoade2: 2:41pm On May 16, 2013
grin ;PHCN has infiltrated NL[quote author=Dewze]Just wondering why Nigerians ve the habit of leaving light bulbs on during the day even in places that they are not needed. Take a walk along a typical lagos street on an afternoon when they is power and you see almost all outside light bulbs on, both in shops and residential building. Obviously these lights are not being used at these times. Nigerians complain abt low current when(if) there is power yet the wisdom tht switching off these bulbs when and where not needed wld help (a great deal) in improving the supplies in our houses seems to be absent.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 16, 2013
Well,as someone said,its home training! My popsy trained us like that,b4 goin to bed everything goes down (xcpt d freezer)! Even wen we wake,we ensure its still turned off! We all are used to it! I stay around isolo and my light is very ok sha and d bills,not so bad! On an average,we get like 2k! This month shockingly,we got 651naira! Still we av light like 12-15hours daily!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Gudiza(m): 2:41pm On May 16, 2013
undecidedwhat u wanna hear?

unstable power supply, bad govt billing policies, lack of proper education, lack of personal conviction etc. etc.

Had a friend once, if he wanted to iron a shirt and a movie was playing, he'd intentionally plug the pressing iron, then settle in to watch the full movie plus cast, he'd also remember to do his laundry, before he returned to his shirt.

He called it keeping the iron warm... and he was (or, at least called himself) a physicist!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Venchy: 2:41pm On May 16, 2013
Nigerians keep their light on so as to keep bugler away because they are just by themselves, no security.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Conduct Census In 2018, Senate Tells President Buhari / Jonathan May Become President This Week / Lagos Monarchs Get N46m Car Gift From Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.