Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,536 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. (9020 Views)

Yoruba Elders Orders Fulani Herdsmen To Leave Their Land Or: Vanguard / Cameroonian Gendarmes Force Bakassi Indigenes To Leave Their Homeland / PHCN Plans To Distribute Energy-saving Bulbs To All Households (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Dewze(m): 11:32am On May 16, 2013
Just wondering why Nigerians ve the habit of leaving light bulbs on during the day even in places that they are not needed. Take a walk along a typical lagos street on an afternoon when they is power and you see almost all outside light bulbs on, both in shops and residential building. Obviously these lights are not being used at these times. Nigerians complain abt low current when(if) there is power yet the wisdom tht switching off these bulbs when and where not needed wld help (a great deal) in improving the supplies in our houses seems to be absent.

No person (leader) is encouraged to help the people when the are not first willing to help themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Dewze(m): 11:39am On May 16, 2013
Is it that we are ignorant of the fact that this habit has a big effect on the current supply in our residence?

Yes the system is not the way it should be but i beleive our attitudes can go a long way in minimizing the effect of the rot.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 16, 2013
Because they want to maximize their use of the epileptic power supply that the pay arbitrarily high bills for

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Dachriz(m): 12:13pm On May 16, 2013
Ask google

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Tigerhead: 12:17pm On May 16, 2013
To ward off evil spirits

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Dewze(m): 12:21pm On May 16, 2013
@koonbey. Tht seems to be the only excuse i hear when i ask this question. But tht sounds pretty lame don't u think? You can't shoot yourself in the foot on the excuse that you want to maximize the bullets in your expensive gun.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Tolexander: 12:26pm On May 16, 2013
Actually, in my own area, the plaudit reason i think causes the act is most times in the night when there is light, and before waking up the following morning, the PHCN might have off the light. Some people always forget to switch off their light before going to their working place, so when the light is restored, the bulbs will be on till they come back to switch them off.

15 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Dewze(m): 12:51pm On May 16, 2013
@tolexander. Well, tht is a more reasonable excuse to consider, but how abt d ones tht even while in their shops/stores still leave these 'outside' lights on?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by yuzedo: 12:57pm On May 16, 2013
To drive away witch! angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Lakayana: 1:05pm On May 16, 2013
It is because they can still manipulate what they pay as light bill when the power sector is properly managed like the telecommunications people will sit up and monitor how every kilowatt is used.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by FulaniBOII(m): 1:06pm On May 16, 2013
How person go take know say Nepa don bring light if dem off am

43 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Nobody: 1:06pm On May 16, 2013
Wow, so they have electricity/power in naija? shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by froz(m): 1:07pm On May 16, 2013
To help the chicken cross the road grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by seguno2: 1:07pm On May 16, 2013
So we can quickly exhaust the little power supply we have rather than stretch it for as long as possible.
That is a sure way of blaming OUR LEADERS, particularly the president while we dig ourselves further into the rot that we have created. While we wait and pray to God to fix all our problems of LEADERSHIP for us.

God is Good, all the time.
Somebody shout Halleluyah + Alihamudulilahi /7ce.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by alphaconde(m): 1:07pm On May 16, 2013
Some bulbs gats on, dats how u know nepa have restored power when u arrive ur area.

But most time, nepa sieze light for night bring am for day, who u keep for house to off bulb.

Then lastly, meter reading don't count, whether we use light or not nepa bill is d same, so why save energy?

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by sureway1(m): 1:07pm On May 16, 2013
The last time l board..a bus to unilag 4rm yaba the street light bulds were on around 2pm...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by dokia: 1:08pm On May 16, 2013
because there is never power at night...so we forget it is on!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by sureway1(m): 1:09pm On May 16, 2013
The last time l board..a bus to unilag 4rm yaba the street light bulds were on around 2pm...
Start by asking the Goverment..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Burger01(m): 1:10pm On May 16, 2013
I know of a friend who would never sleep with light off. Maybe na witch thing..

undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 16, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Wow, so they have electricity/power in naija? shocked shocked
100% idiotic comment

21 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by fallingsky(m): 1:13pm On May 16, 2013
Asked those that actually do that
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by nekaa(f): 1:14pm On May 16, 2013
I really dnt get them either buh I guess it's on to tell wen NEPA has brought the light.. We all have that house we use to tell if there is power or not.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Nobody: 1:14pm On May 16, 2013
@Op..,your observation is very correct and sad. The reason some Nigerians dont switch off their bulbs when not needed is because many Nigerians dont pay for electricity. Unfortunately, even from the comments so far, it appears some people dont realise that such practice amounts to waste of available power at any point in time and makes everyone of us worse off in terms power supply to our homes.

Anyway, with the ongoing privatisation and roll out of pre-payment meters, people will have no other option but to switch off their bulbs when not needed

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by mu2sa2: 1:15pm On May 16, 2013
Those having prepaid metres wont dare keep their outside bulbs switched on in daytime.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by Ifetex(m): 1:15pm On May 16, 2013
Researchers has now concluded that every tin that z on Nairaland front page is an inportant matter & need 2 b commented upon .....
So... Me tag it laziness
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by denitro(m): 1:17pm On May 16, 2013
Scenerio 1:
I switch off my light bulbs during the day when leaving the house
Light bill at the end of the month: N12,000

Scenerio 2:
I leave my light bulbs on when leaving the house
Light bill at the end of the month: N12,000

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out why people leave their light bulbs on
when they are not around.

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by GentleNaaz(m): 1:17pm On May 16, 2013
TNZ dAT hPNS oNLY iN NIgerIA
1. Na only in naija, pesn go dy drive wt hs light on during hot afternoon.
2. Na only in naija, arm robers dy chaleng govt
3. Na only in naija, wey me n u dy
4. Na only 4 naija, Nasarawa utd go beat Enyimba 6-0. Dn enyimba go turn am 8-0 for dia home
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by spoofproof: 1:17pm On May 16, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Wow, so they have electricity/power in naija? shocked shocked

grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by ibkgab001: 1:17pm On May 16, 2013
E no concern me jareee
Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by gnykelly(m): 1:18pm On May 16, 2013
Because they pay for electricity

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Leave Their Light Bulbs On In Day Time. by ELgordo(m): 1:18pm On May 16, 2013
mennnnnn ! i dont know . . . inddicator i guessssssssszs why is this bothering you? in show glass to kip the puff puff hot

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breakdown Of Capital Projects Executed By Goodluck Jonathan's Federal Government / Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest / Man Jailed For Being Idle In Jos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.