Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,269 members, 7,815,451 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life (3628 Views)

All Facts About Linda Testimonies Of Hell / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / Testimonies Of Healings From HIV And AIDS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by detruth: 1:44pm On Apr 23, 2008
Kindly permit me to start by saying that I intend this topic for reasonable and godly contributions. I only direct this question to Christians with the fear of God, every extremist is free to avoid this thread. This is NEVER meant for any sort of argument.
These are my questions;
Are Christians meant to suffer? If so for how long? Does new life in Christ still permits troubles and tribulations? What should be our stand while we pass through difficult moments?
I strongly believe that His yoke is easy and his burden is light!(Mat. 11:30) and he has not deliever us in order to destroy us!
1 Peter 2:9
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: KJV
Moreover, why not let's share together those testimonies of victory over trials and troubles of life we once had. I believe someone, somewhere is waiting out there to see that his/her own case is also POSSIBLE! And by doing so, we can always bear each other's burden.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 23, 2008
detruth:

Kindly permit me to start by saying that I intend this topic for reasonable and godly contributions. I only direct this question to Christians with the fear of God, every extremist is free to avoid this thread. This is NEVER meant for any sort of argument. This is my question -
Are Christians meant to suffer? Does new life in Christ still permits troubles and tribulations? What should be our stand while we pass through difficult moments? I still believe that His yoke is light and easy and as believers we can give each other a lift!
Have you considered the life of apostle Paul?

Jesus said: Acts9:16 => For I will show him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

Paul himself was later to write
2 Cor. 11:23-27

23 Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.

24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.

25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and unclothedness.

Finally, Paul was be-headed by emperor Nero in the year AD68 (or so?).
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by Nobody: 1:59pm On Apr 23, 2008
Jesus also predicted Peter's death

John 21:18-19

18 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.

19 This spoke he, signifying by what death he should glorify God.

Peter was later crucified upside-down by emperor Nero in the year 68 AD (or thereabouts)
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by detruth: 2:26pm On Apr 23, 2008
Is this how all Christians will also end up?
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 23, 2008
detruth:

Is this how all Christians will also end up?
Well, it is not my place to say. But it is NOT out of place for a Christian to suffer - sometimes terribly.
Just that those who maintain that Christians should not suffer quote liberally from the works of St. Paul --- who suffered so much and was be-headed.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by JeSoul(f): 2:32pm On Apr 23, 2008
Are Christians meant to suffer? Does new life in Christ still permits troubles and tribulations?

Yes.
Philippians 1:29
For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him

2 Timothy 3:12
In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted

Philippians 3:10  
I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death

this suffering can come in all kinds of ways, physically, financially, socially etc. . . it is different for each believer. Now why is suffering for Christ so important? it explains below in 1 Pet 4:1. . .

What should be our stand while we pass through difficult moments?

Heb 4:15
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

James1:2
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

1 Pet 4:1
Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

So you see our attitude should be one that is joyful when we're going through tough times because we know that our God is able to see us through and bring us out victorious and much stronger than we were. While it is much easier said than done, it is by His grace and strength that we can accomplish this.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 23, 2008
@detruth

Someone was meditating on the temptations of Christ =>

Matthew 4: 1 ---> Jesus was then led away by the Spirit into the wilderness, to be tempted by the devil.

This is what he had to say=>
Martin_Israel:
THIS IS THE true sequel to spiritual dedication: the disciple is then exhaustively tested in the furnace of truth. The Holy Spirit, as the farewell discourses of Jesus state quite openly, is the Spirit of truth, who guides us into all truth. He does not speak on His own authority, but tells us only what He hears. He also makes known to us the things that are to come. (John 16:13)

The will, already consecrated, must not be hindered and perverted by impulses coming from the unconscious part of the personality. It is a great gesture to give of oneself fully for God's service. But how much of this dedication is play-acting? How much of it is a spectacular ritual designed unconsciously to release one from the sordid facts of one's worldly situation?

How much is it a way to attract the attention of one's fellows and become a centre of admiration? How much is it a calculated attempt to acquire psychic power with which to dominate other people? If we were aware of our inner life, we would know that these false motives are unconsciously with us even when we appear to make the decision that is morally right and spiritually inevitable.

Source => http://www.martinisrael.u-net.com/fire/chapter4.html
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by detruth: 2:58pm On Apr 23, 2008
If we have to suffer, then where is the place of grace,riches, favour, blessing such that we profess that Jesus died for? (Rev. 5:12,13) Is His death in vain? Are we saved to suffer?

@ JeSoul
Please can you differentiate between suffering for Christ (which i believe has a lot to do with not conforming with the world) and suffering the same way people in the world suffers in diseases, sicknesses, hunger, lack etc
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 23, 2008
detruth:

If we have to suffer, ------Are we saved to suffer?
Christ actually transformed the meaning of suffering. Suffering has become a means of purification and atonement. It is also a means of co-redeeming with Christ --- as harsh as this may sound. This is why Paul wrote:

Col 1: 24 ==> Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and fill up on my part that which is lacking of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body`s sake, which is the church;

detruth:

then where is the place of grace,riches, favour, blessing such that we profess that Jesus died for? (Rev. 5:12,13)
Have you noticed that the richest people on earth are most times not Christians Material wealth is not necessarily a barometer for measuring the intensity of a Christian's faith.

detruth:

Is His death in vain?
No. Christ did not die ONLY to make us materially rich on earth. This is the kind of Messiah that the Jews desired --- and this has landed them into so much trouble. This led to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 AD. Christ died primarily to reconcile us with God.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by JeSoul(f): 3:14pm On Apr 23, 2008
detruth:

If we have to suffer, then where is the place of grace,riches, favour, blessing such that we profess that Jesus died for? (Rev. 5:12,13) Is His death in vain?

First, that verse is not refering to us receiving those things, but to the Savior.

Second, we must understand that our worldy definition of riches and favor and blessings is NOT the same as God's definition of those things.
when we say riches we think of wealth and comfort, and material things, but RICHES in CHRIST is a whole different thing. It's the new relationship we have with God and how our lives are transformed by this direct access to a God beyong our imagination - this is what it is that makes us rich!

Eph1:18
I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms

Christ died for us not so we can live in comfort and happiness and peace, no. But so we can be saved from sin and have a direct relationship with God.
2Cor 5:15
And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by JeSoul(f): 3:18pm On Apr 23, 2008
detruth:

@ JeSoul
Please can you differentiate between suffering for Christ (which i believe has a lot to do with not conforming with the world) and suffering the same way people in the world suffers in diseases, sicknesses, hunger, lack etc
  I'll try  smiley

The first difference is that when you become a christian - everything you do is unto Christ. Your life is now under the direction and control of Christ. Your future is held secure by Christ. Your experiences, your joys and pains are all under the watch of Christ. You pretty much eat, live, breathe, think, die for Christ. Your very purpose for being alive, is Christ.

Like Paul says in Gal2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Now for someone who's not saved, they have no hope. Their sufferings do not count towards anything, their pains and struggles do not affect their destiny, they in short are wasted.
  Whereas when you suffer in Christ, it is unto the glory of God, because your life is being lived accroding to His will and purpose.
  Now this suffering in Christ can be in all kinds of ways - physically (health), financially, etc. . . it varies from believer to believer. And God allows it to happen because He knows us, He knows where we fall short and Him allowing this different kinds of suffering to different people cleanses and strengthens us. He knows where we lack and according to that permits us to suffer accordingly that we might become better christians, closer to Him and totally subject to His will. But like it says in the word,

2 Corinthians 1:5
For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

A christians suffering is never in vain. But for everyone else it is.

1 Pet 2:20
But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps
1 Pet 4:19
So then, [b]those who suffer according to God's will [/b]should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by detruth: 3:28pm On Apr 23, 2008
imhotep:

Christ actually transformed the meaning of suffering. Suffering has become a means of purification and atonement. It is also a means of co-redeeming with Christ --- as harsh as this may sound. This is why Paul wrote:

Col 1: 24 ==> Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and fill up on my part that which is lacking of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body`s sake, which is the church;

Have you noticed that the richest people on earth are most times not Christians Material wealth is not necessarily a barometer for measuring the intensity of a Christian's faith.

No. Christ did not die ONLY to make us materially rich on earth. This is the kind of Messiah that the Jews desired --- and this has landed them into so much trouble. This led to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 AD. Christ died primarily to reconcile us with God.

I truely believe that the sins of Adam and the spiritual separation consequence brought about the reconciliation mission of Jesus Christ

Matt 1:21
21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.KJV

Then I also believe that God meant to return back to man what Adam lost. If I could remember, there was never a mention of suffering in the garden of Eden, they have everything in abundance. Is His mission not meant to return such life back to those who believe in Him

[b]John 1:12[/b]12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:KJV

Where is the palace demacation between those that believe Him and those that believe Him not in terms of sufferings? Can Christians have an garden of Eden experience again in life? Please don't make me believe that Christians are not meant to be rich or else our destiny lies in the hands of the infidels!
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by detruth: 3:42pm On Apr 23, 2008
JeSoul:

I'll try smiley

Now this suffering in Christ can be in all kinds of ways - physically (health), financially, etc. . . it varies from believer to believer. And God allows it to happen because He knows us, He knows where we fall short and Him allowing this different kinds of suffering to different people cleanses and strengthens us. He knows where we lack and according to that permits us to suffer accordingly that we might become better christians, closer to Him and totally subject to His will. But like it says in the word,

Are you sure God is the cause of all these troubles? Then why did He died? In order to allow more troubles? I believe the first reason why I ran to Him the other time was for Him to save me…, from troubles and sorrows of life. I know my destiny is doomed without Him. If He is true and forever will be, then why not a change from the kind of life I do experience before? Does'nt it looks as if Christian themselves have a role to play in this matter?
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by Nobody: 3:46pm On Apr 23, 2008
detruth:

Where is the palace demacation between those that believe Him and those that believe Him not in terms of sufferings?
I don't think that God is busy waiting to curse those who do not believe in Him.

Christ charges us to be imitators of God - a God who is benevolent to EVERYBODY, good and evil.

Matthew 5:44-45

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That you may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for He makes His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

---------------------------------------------------------------
detruth:

Can Christians have an garden of Eden experience again in life?
No. These curses were never undone:

Gen 3:16-19
16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy pain and thy conception; in pain thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in toil shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

18 thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

19 in the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

So, EVERYBODY faces the suffering. The suffering of the Christians is redemptive and transformative. God deals with evil by drawing maximum good out of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
detruth:

Please don't make me believe that Christians are not meant to be rich or else our destiny lies in the hands of the infidels!
Material wealth is NOT NECESSARILY a sign of a faithful Christian. The early Christians were poor and persecuted and they suffered greatly --- many of them died violently. But Christ prevailed in the end.
Most people are of the opinion that the prayer of the dying Steven brought down graces on the soul of Paul.

Acts 7:58-60, Acts 8:1

58 and they cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul.

59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon [the Lord], and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

1 And Saul was consenting unto his death. And there arose on that day a great persecution against the church which was in Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 23, 2008
@detruth
You are actually battling with a very deep problem = the problem of evil.

I suggest you read this book => "Smouldering Fire: The work of the Holy Spirit" by Martin Israel

The book discusses the problem of good and evil and their reconciliation in Christ.

You can download/read the book here => http://www.martinisrael.u-net.com/fire/index.html
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by JeSoul(f): 3:58pm On Apr 23, 2008
detruth:

Are you sure God is the cause of all these troubles?

My dear God is absolutely NOT the cause of troubles! The bible says everything good and perfect comes from Him, but the devil came to steal, kill and destroy.

The story of Job is a perfect example. God does not create trouble, but He allows it. And He uses what the devil intended for evil to bring about good in and for us! That's how it works.

Then why did He died? In order to allow more troubles? I believe the first reason why I ran to Him the other time was for Him to save me…, from troubles and sorrows of life. I know my destiny is doomed without Him. If He is true and forever will be, then why not a change from the kind of life I do experience before? Does'nt it looks as if Christian themselves have a role to play in this matter?

The reason Christ died was NOT to save us from lifes troubles and drama and pain. . . Jn 3:16 states it plainly, He came to save us from sin and eternal damnation in hell and to serve God. Now I'm not saying all that we have to look forward to is pain and suffering as christians, no way! The bible itself teaches how the righteous will lack no good thing and those who give up things for the sake of Christ will recieve double in this life and in the next. MK10:30

Along with all the material or physical things God will bless us with in this age, we will also have to endure pains and suffering - it is a balance my friend. A balance that is necessary to produce faith in us, grow us in Christ and make us less and less dependent on anything in this world.
I hope this helps! GodBless!
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by detruth: 4:09pm On Apr 23, 2008
Please kindly justify these answers with my own discoveries in the scriptures:
imhotep:

No. These curses were never undone:

Gal 3:13-14
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
KJV

Which curse then did Jesus dealt with here?

imhotep:

I don't think that God is busy waiting to curse those who do not believe in Him.

Mal 3:17-18
17 And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
18 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.
KJV

Please who is the prophesy talking about here? I quess it is the believers!

imhotep:

So, EVERYBODY faces the suffering. The suffering of the Christians is redemptive and transformative. God deals with evil by drawing maximum good out of it.

1 Peter 5:8-11
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, [b]after that ye have suffered a while
, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
KJV[/b]

So is not the suffering for a while, or is it everlasting? Hence there will be no difference between those that servse Him and those that serves Him not!
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by detruth: 4:18pm On Apr 23, 2008
JeSoul:

My dear God is absolutely NOT the cause of troubles! The bible says everything good and perfect comes from Him, but the devil came to steal, kill and destroy.
The story of Job is a perfect example. God does not create trouble, but He allows it. And He uses what the devil intended for evil to bring about good in and for us! That's how it works.

Love the way you put it!

JeSoul:

The reason Christ died was NOT to save us from lifes troubles and drama and pain. . . Jn 3:16 states it plainly, He came to save us from sin and eternal damnation in hell and to serve God. Now I'm not saying all that we have to look forward to is pain and suffering as christians, no way! The bible itself teaches how the righteous will lack no good thing and those who give up things for the sake of Christ will recieve double in this life and in the next. MK10:30

Along with all the material or physical things God will bless us with in this age, we will also have to endure pains and suffering - it is a balance my friend. A balance that is necessary to produce faith in us, grow us in Christ and make us less and less dependent on anything in this world.
I hope this helps! GodBless!

I can hear you quoting:

John 16:33-17:1
33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
KJV

JeSoul, you have the Word! Nevertheless, let still talk about the things to bear in mind during the period of trials and tribulations
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by Nobody: 4:21pm On Apr 23, 2008
detruth:

Please kindly justify these answers with my own discoveries in the scriptures:
Gal 3:13-14
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
KJV

Which curse then did Jesus dealt with here?

Paul was referring to the covenant of Moses - which involved blessings and curses. Men still suffer to work the earth, and women still have troubles giving birth. Christ's 'covenant' is to bring about the deification of man.

John 14:23
If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Gal2:19-20]
19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me

[/quote]

[quote author=detruth:

Mal 3:17-18
17 And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
18 Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.
KJV

Please who is the prophesy talking about here? I quess it is the believers!
Malachi prophesied when the laws of Moses (which involved blessing and curses) were still in operation. Christ came (many years after Malachi) and painted a beautiful and more humane picture of God to us. God is our Father!

detruth:

1 Peter 5:8-11
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, [b]after that ye have suffered a while
, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
KJV[/b]

So is not the suffering for a while, or is it everlasting?
The suffering is on earth. To purify christians, make them co-redeemers, and for them to bear witness to Christ.
Remember that Peter was crucified upside down - this way he bore witness that what he had been preaching was true.
Its not easy to die for what one believes in.

detruth:

Hence there will be no difference between those that servse Him and those that serves Him not!
On earth, there may or may not be on the material level. But spiritually, BIG difference.
In Paul's case, he lost everything in the course of his apostleship, but he gained Christ.

Philipians 3:8 I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

Another Christian's story may be very very different.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by JeSoul(f): 4:42pm On Apr 23, 2008
detruth:

Love the way you put it!

I can hear you quoting:

John 16:33-17:1
33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
KJV

JeSoul, you have the Word! Nevertheless, let still talk about the things to bear in mind during the period of trials and tribulations

My friend it is not easy oh! I remember earlier this yr I was dealing with some tough issues and really struggling to remind myself to "count it all joy" - it is definately easier said than done. And just like the Psalmist lamented many times, I looked around and saw people who were not even trying or bothering to do the right thing and they were getting off scott free. While I'm suffering all becos I want to do the right thing - it is not easy at all. But I am proof that it is possible! but only by God's grace. Heb 4:15 is really my anchor, to know that I have access to a God who has been touched with the very same troubles that I'm facing is tremendous! He knows how to comfort and relate to me in a very real way! what a hope we have in Christ! grin, please share some more my dear, I want to hear and be encouraged.
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by liftedone(f): 9:58am On Apr 24, 2008
Why do Christians suffer?

There are many books that have been written about this. But the best one I know is the book of Job in the Bible. Read it with a study bible like The Life Application Study Bible or better still a bible commentary that you can lay your hands on. The Matthew Henry Commentary is a popular one.

If you are going through a tough time in your Christian walk, one of the first things to check is to see if there’s un-confessed  sin in your life from which you have to repent and be restored to fellowship with God. Psalm 32:1-5: Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute iniquity. And in whose spirit there is no deceit. When I kept silent, my bones grew old through my groaning all the day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was turned into the drought of summer. I acknowledged my sin to you and my iniquity I have not hidden. I said I will confess my transgressions to the Lord. And you forgave the iniquity of my sin.

Suffering can be the result of God’s discipline. Hebrews 12:7-13: If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. Furthermore, we have human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live?

Other times, we suffer because we make wrong decisions, not surrendering to the Lord or allowing the Holy Spirit to guide us. So we reap the consequences of our actions. Galatians 6:7, 8: Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

Then of course we suffer for no other reason other than that the devil hates us because we are children of God, cue the situation of Job.

Jesus did not promise us roses without thorns even though he came that we might have life and have it more abundantly John 10:10. He said in John 16:33(AMP): I have told you these things so that in Me you may have perfect peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer, take courage, be confident, certain, undaunted, for I have overcome the world- I have deprived it of power to harm, have conquered it for you.

In any kind of Christian suffering, however, our attitudes in it matter more than what we are going through itself. James 1:2-4(AMP): Consider it wholly joyful, my brethren, whenever you are enveloped in or encounter trials of any sort, or fall into various temptations. Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience; but let these have full play and do a thorough work, so that you may be people perfectly fully developed with no defects lacking nothing. And no trial has ever overcome you but such as is common to man. 1 Corinthians 10:13.

When you suffer therefore, you can be like Paul who rejoiced in the midst of difficult circumstances and enjoined others to do same Philippians 4:4, giving thanks in all things 1Thessalonians 5:18.  Habakkuk who was thankful even when there was no harvest Habakkuk 3:17-19(this one I call the recipe for hard times When nothing makes sense and when troubles seem more than you can bear, remember that God gives strength. Take your eyes off your difficulties and look to God).  Be patient Romans 12:12.

Know also that you will overcome Romans 8:35-37, 1John 4:4; 5:4. And God is with you and so be comforted Psalm 139; Isaiah 43:1, 2

And Hebrews 13:5(AMP): for God himself has said I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. I will not I will not I will not in any degree leave you helpless, nor forsake you, let you down relax My hold on you. Assuredly not! What a comfort

We must courageously accept what God allows in our lives and remain firmly committed to him.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by detruth: 1:03pm On Apr 24, 2008
JeSoul:

My friend it is not easy oh! I remember earlier this yr I was dealing with some tough issues and really struggling to remind myself to "count it all joy" - it is definately easier said than done. And just like the Psalmist lamented many times, I looked around and saw people who were not even trying or bothering to do the right thing and they were getting off scott free. While I'm suffering all because I want to do the right thing - it is not easy at all. But I am proof that it is possible! but only by God's grace. Heb 4:15 is really my anchor, to know that I have access to a God who has been touched with the very same troubles that I'm facing is tremendous! He knows how to comfort and relate to me in a very real way! what a hope we have in Christ! grin, please share some more my dear, I want to hear and be encouraged.

@JeSoul
There is this scripture I love so much. It is always my solace!
1 Cor 10:13
13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
KJV

I had an experience last year that I can never for get in my life. But God is Faithful! His faithfulness is incomparable! even when so-called intimate friends forsake you, His faithfulness still abides. Let everyone be against you, you only need Him on your side.
I was just selected for a position in foreign mission work from the headoffice of the international establishment I worked with. Then all hell got loose!
Sandals, Intimidations, petitions, were all tools in the hand of the enemy to abort the purpose. Can you imagine someone already scheduled for a lifting now being summoned to face panel due to series of petitions and orchestrated scandals from the pit of hell? Such that if am found quilty will not even equal to demotion but outright termination of appointment.

But the Psalmist says "who can utter the mighty acts of God?"(Ps.106:2)
Isa 14:27
27 For the LORD of hosts hath purposed, and who shall disannul it? and his hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back?
KJV

It all seems as if I was alone, but God is faithful!. My friend, it is easier said than done! These scriptures kept coming alive!

Rom 8:34-39
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or unclothedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
KJV

At the end, the wicked was put to shame because the battle was the Lord's! The promotion was doubled! Everyone behind the evil was sacked!
2 Thess 1:6
6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;(me)
KJV

No one can fight for you like God! Also during this period I had an health crisis, it was a serious attack, I felt like giving up. Their prayers is for me to extinct so that they can pick up the position, but in all these things God took the battle and made me more than a conqueror. Although I climbed the ladder in the midst of wolves and wild beast, nevertheless I escaped unharmed!

Beloved! I also strongly believe that scripture, your favourite;

Heb 4:14-16
14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
KJV

There are some truth I discovered therein that makes for speed help and answers to prayers which I will still discuss later.
Nevertheless, great is our God! Always Available, Ever Dependable, Forever Reliable! smiley
I will also like to hear about the experience of God's hand over your life (or that of any other contributor) in your moment of trials and tribulations.Who know, someone somewhere may need it for a lift against discouragement in the face of troubles.

@ liftedone
Thanks for you comment! You have always sound real!
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by anonimi: 2:21pm On Apr 24, 2008
detruth,

i thank God for your testimony of his faithfulness in the midst of adversity.
i continuously find unimaginable peace in Matthew 6: 25 - 34 whenever i am anxious or troubled by life's ups & downs.
u can use this bible search engine to read the quote.

http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=1+John+4%3A1&ver=kjv

shalom.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by detruth: 3:19pm On Apr 24, 2008
JeSoul, See you when on!
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by JeSoul(f): 4:43pm On Apr 24, 2008
detruth:

No one can fight for you like God! Also during this period I had an health crisis, it was a serious attack, I felt like giving up. Their prayers is for me to extinct so that they can pick up the position, but in all these things God took the battle and made me more than a conqueror. Although I climbed the ladder in the midst of wolves and wild beast, nevertheless I escaped unharmed!

Detruth,
that is such a great testimony! cheesy wooow! Remember Psalm 23: "even though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil" To quote one of Ron Kenoly's song "It is such fun to see, such fun to see, satan lose!" Praise God indeed for how He brought you thru and made you even stronger and gave you an even better promotion! the devil will always be put to shame. Amen.

One thing I really fancy and I'm crazy about God for is how He uses the things that were intended for evil to bring about good! that to me is incredible.
Gen 50:19 But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. and to see it manifested in your life - I praise God for that, and for His faithfulness to bring us out victorious.

Even right now I'm still hoping in Him for my work situation. I feel I was passed over for a position that I deserve but I can't be upset about it! because deep down I just know that He will use it to my benefit - that is the hope that we share. Thank you for opening this thread and reminding me of God's faithfulness - it is always good to think on it and remember.

Btw, where is Bangui? smiley
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by JeSoul(f): 4:44pm On Apr 24, 2008
Liftedone,
wow, thanks for that very detailed and scriptural post, I took away a lotta good points from it, thanks! may God continue to increase your wisdom.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by detruth: 6:42pm On Apr 24, 2008
JeSoul:

Even right now I'm still hoping in Him for my work situation. I feel I was passed over for a position that I deserve but I can't be upset about it! because deep down I just know that He will use it to my benefit - that is the hope that we share. Thank you for opening this thread and reminding me of God's faithfulness - it is always good to think on it and remember.

The scriptures say:
Prov 27:17
17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.
KJV[/i]Far more than engaging in argument and contentions that holds no spiritual profit, I believe Christians ought to encourage and brightened up each other.
Christianity is never a religion, its a spiritual proffession and as good soilders of Christ, we are meant to learn fro each other.
Did you remember this scripture inthe book of Psalms?

[i]Isa 43:2-7
2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
3 For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.
4 Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life.
5 Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west;
6 I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth;
7 Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.
KJV

If God did it for me, He is more than able to settle you also. For he sees far more than we see and knows far more than we know. Not so that the case can be against us, but for the reason of glorifying His holy name!
Just like Joseph (as you mentioned) and his brothers; Mordecai and Haman; Daniel and other governors in Babylon; the enemy may intend it for evil, but God knows how to overtake them. You know the truth? Your blessing can NEVER pass you bye! If they did'nt give you now, then that means the best is yet to come!

JeSoul:

Btw, where is Bangui? smiley

Its the little country capital of diamond-rich Central African Republic  cheesy
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by liftedone(f): 8:20pm On Apr 24, 2008
@Jesoul, to God be the glory for his wisdom and may he continue to enlighten us as we faithfully share with one another in the spirit of love and humility. Stay strong in him, he will keep you in his perfect care always.
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by JeSoul(f): 9:17pm On Apr 24, 2008
detruth:

Did you remember this scripture inthe book of Psalms?

Isa 43:2-7
2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
3 For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.
4 Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life.
5 Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west;
6 I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth;
7 Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.
KJV
yes indeed I did forget about that verse - talk about powerful and comforting! Thanks so much for your encouragement. I will return with a testimony of God's faithfulness when He brings it to pass.

Its the little country capital of diamond-rich Central African Republic cheesy
diamond rich huh? smiley I hope you have access to some those rocks cheesy. I'm about to take off work and go home. Have urself a pleasant rest of the day. Godbless! kiss
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by JeSoul(f): 9:17pm On Apr 24, 2008
Liftedone,
AMEN!!! smiley
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 24, 2008
@topic

yes ,but our suffering is for a little while,check out his words here 1st peter 5:10, our God is a long suffering God,wenever we undergo all this temptations and trials,he is testing us,but not tempting us,u see apostle paul even as holy as he is was suffering FROM one ailment and he three times he cried to God to deliver him from this pains,it would have been easy for God to say go it is well,but u know what,he told him(2nd corinthians 12:9) MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR You,FOR MY POWER IS BEEN MADE PERFECT IN YOUR WEAKNESS,y did he allow d devil to keep tormenting paul?because he did not want paul to be over exalted,he wanted paul to work with humility,he wants to humble ourselves hence he brings persecutions,because jesus christ humbled himself to death even on the cross,all this suffering comes for us to work with humility and faith,and spiritual growth,and if u read down to verse 10,paul said i rejoice in persecutions,trials, etc because when i am weak i am strong

many people do not know that God makes us pass through all this pains and sufferings sometimes to establish our faith in him and to know how many will be patient enough to wait,nothing good comes easy,d blessings of God is not sharp sharp,it comes gradually,u earn it with your faith,and those who r patient enough end up wearing a crown of victory,because he said in his word, if u pass through fire i will be with u that your hair will not be burnt,and if u passthru waters i will be with u so that u wont drown,our God is a long suffering God,but after that suffering there is a price for us,some rich and wealthy men we see today also went through all this pains and some where patient enough and d result brought them wealth and so on

example:raw gold,when u see a raw gold it looks ugly,and terrible,inorder to make that gold look good in the eyes and good for making jeweleries,it undergoes so many processes,it goes through fire ,but after d suffering and d fire process,it comes out new and beautiful,and when u see it u marvel at d beauty,that is d way we christains are in the hands of God,we go through fire,through oven through so many things some people its like its a curse because d suffering is too much,but when we have tried ,tested and confirmed fit to wear d crown of victory,then our real beauty comes out,(just like d gold) and establishments,joy and happiness come from all angles

REMEMBER THE SAME BIBLE SAID WEEPING (PAINS ;PERSECUTION;TRIALS ETC)MAY ENDURE THROUGH THE NIGHT BUT JOY COMES IN THE MORNING
Re: Testimonies of Victory over Trials and Tribulations of Life by anonimi: 8:53am On Apr 25, 2008
jennykadry:

@topic

u see apostle paul even as holy as he is was suffering FROM one ailment and he three times he cried to God to deliver him from this pains,it would have been easy for God to say go it is well,but u know what,he told him(2nd corinthians 12:9) MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR You,FOR MY POWER IS BEEN MADE PERFECT IN YOUR WEAKNESS,y did he allow d devil to keep tormenting paul?because he did not want paul to be over exalted,he wanted paul to work with humility,he wants to humble ourselves hence he brings persecutions,because jesus christ humbled himself to death even on the cross,all this suffering comes for us to work with humility and faith,and spiritual growth,and if u read down to verse 10,paul said i rejoice in persecutions,trials, etc because when i am weak i am strong
REMEMBER THE SAME BIBLE SAID WEEPING (PAINS ;PERSECUTION;TRIALS ETC)MAY ENDURE THROUGH THE NIGHT BUT JOY COMES IN THE MORNING

thanks for your post.
as you noted in Apostle Paul's case, the specific suffering may last till death and the joy in the morning may refer to the hereafter. those who appreciate Christ's teaching will know how to give thanks at all times in spite of such sufferings in the knowledge of his overall goodness in their lives and a more glorious life after here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Commit Thy Ways Unto The Lord. / ‘I Have No Wife, Earthly Children, I’m The Last Maharaji Alive’ - Guru Maharaji / CEO Of The Mount Zion, Mike Bamiloye Marks His Wife's Birthday In Style

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 173
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.