Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,371 members, 7,850,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:04 PM

Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body (14004 Views)

Sahara Reporters And Ben Murray-Bruce 'Fight' Over Social Media Bill(Tweets) / Physically Challenged Persons Fight Over N15m NDDC Largesse / Enugu APC Chiefs Fight Over Ministerial Slot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by Nobody: 11:53am On May 18, 2013
ecosanders: How is a dead body suppose 2 rest in peace wen it is buried siting upright? @Berem, am keeping ma dowry. Mio se mo!
whether the corpse sits down or lies down or squat, it is resting in peace. Duh!!! grin grin
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by DerideGull(m): 12:02pm On May 18, 2013
berem: Of course it should be retained. My grandfather was an Nze n'Ozo and a Pagan during his lifetime. When he was about to die, he repented and became a Christian at the dying minute. He was given holy communion few hours to his death. So you see, our culture should be retained but Christianity comes first.

With this heavy load of brainwash, one wonders how you could develop.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by DerideGull(m): 12:03pm On May 18, 2013
Abagworo:

Guess he was an Nze n'Ozo then. Don't you think this rich culture should be retained whether we are Christians or not?

It is unfortunate certain goons tend to abuse the anonymity provided by the Internet.

1 Like

Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by redsun(m): 12:24pm On May 18, 2013
Achebe will not stop turning in his grave if he is buried as a Christian. As a true born he has to be buried like his ancestors were buried.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by ACM10: 1:51pm On May 18, 2013
Anyone who read Achebe's memoir will observe that he is not a fan of western religion. He talked glowingly of his late uncle who was a traditionalist. He almost relegated his late father who was one of the earliest christian converts to the background. I support the position of Ndi Nze-na-Ozo of my town that Achebe should be buried in the night according to traditional rites. Achebe was an intellectual giant and one of the great thinkers to come out of Africa, and I believe that he is fully aware that his title entails this manner of burial rites. His widow should shave her head and mourn her husband according to the stipulated duration of our tradition, unless, Achebe explicitly stated that his widow should be exempted from that rite. Though his widow may chose not to. People should not interfere with her judgment. For God's sake, there is nothing wrong with those rites. It does not degrade the status of women. There is nothing diabolic about them. Achebe's sister is probably miseducated by trying to thump her nose on our age-old rites. I believe that Achebe would have approved of burying him according to our Ogidi customs and tradition if he is alive. Prof. Achebe's struggle in life revolves around emancipation of our people from having a notion that our culture is inferior. Western culture may be more sophisticated than our, but it is certainly not superior. Therefore, Achebe should be buried according to African tradition and rites.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by ACM10: 1:58pm On May 18, 2013
berem: Let him loose the traditional rights then! Of what use is a dead man with traditional title? Achebe should be buried in a Christian way. The traditionalists can go ahead with their own burial rites without the corpse.

In essence, you are telling us to abandon our tradition and chose western tradition. I think you've lost your bearing. You may have identity crisis if you continue like this.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by SugaryBelle(f): 2:17pm On May 18, 2013
safarigirl: If he was a titled man, then I assume the traditionalists have a higher hand. Do you know the rites that went into giving him that title? There may have been some diabolical machinations involved.

If Achebe took a title, he should have known how the bburial rites are for titled people and informed his family. This is Africa, tarditions were here before the coming of Christianity, they will not change now.

The wife must have followed him to get the title,now that repecussions have come , she remembers she's a christian.

Abeg make him village people bury the guy, if say him papa no carry am go church, dem for claim am?
U ar sooo right girl,before he took the title i bet d family knew what is involvd in buring a titled man,all dis hypocrisy cos he is no more.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by SugaryBelle(f): 2:32pm On May 18, 2013
Afam4eva: Our people have to find a way to reconcile Christianity and Omenala. The white man has brought untold confusion on us as a people.
Yes that is wat Achebe tried to show us in his works;reconciling Culture and Christianity...someone is here telling me a man of his status should be buried in the church,did he not know his status when he took the title...God punish hypocrisy
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by tpia5: 2:50pm On May 18, 2013
A man of his stature SHOULD be buried by the church.

Anyone who doesnt like this statement is free to jump into the nearest gutter.

God punish crap.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 18, 2013
Afam4eva: Our people have to find a way to reconcile Christianity and Omenala. The white man has brought untold confusion on us as a people.

Very disappointing post by u, Afam. Incase u'r not aware, Christianity is not a confusion, but rather d best tin dat ever hapnd to Igbo land and Nigeria as a whole. Our true civilization centres around Christianity, without which we wud'v still been living like apes in dis century.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by Afam4eva(m): 2:58pm On May 18, 2013
ILIDEFI:

Very disappointing post by u, Afam. Incase u'r not aware, Christianity is not a confusion, but rather d best tin dat ever hapnd to Igbo land and Nigeria as a whole. Our true civilization centres around Christianity, without which we wud'v still been living like apes in dis century.
I'm not arguing. But don't you think Achebe knew better before he startede hobnobing with religion.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by raphead: 3:09pm On May 18, 2013
singing loud and wide, double wahala for dead body and the owner of dead body.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by malkia7: 3:21pm On May 18, 2013
Did he leave a will? I think that people who come from communities that are tied to tradition should do so. In my country this happens a lot, there was a man whose burial dispute was in court for close to a year but tradition finally won, leaving the wife bitter for the rest of her life and she ended up marrying a man in his 20s when she was in her 60s or 70s. The thing is that many of these traditions also forbid the writing of a will, so catch 22.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by nmaihat: 3:29pm On May 18, 2013
Abbey2sam:

Which kind early morning gbagaun be this?

How big is his stature nah?

*status
why don't you consult your dictionary before attempting to correct someone. Do you think stature only refers to a persons physique and nothing else? Please don't advertise your ignorance.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by jaymdee(m): 3:29pm On May 18, 2013
berem: ha ha ha! The same way my paternal grandfather was buried in 1993 sitting in an upright position on his throne.
Please tell us more. Was he just positioned under the earth? No casket? Explain.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by NovusHomo(m): 4:01pm On May 18, 2013
With all the praise and other noise, they won't let his spirit rest. Is this how you treat a "hero"?
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by graphicsplay: 4:43pm On May 18, 2013
S@NNiE:
Ezedum said Achebe's wife could feel free to come home without fear that she will be made to undergo traditional widowhood rites.

"I have told my uncle's wife that I am around, nobody will do anything," the head of the Umu Ada said.

She, however, said other traditional rites like searching for Achebe and taking care of his body by the women would be performed.

She said the Anglican Church in the Niger Diocese had long abolished the widowhood rites because they were repugnant to good conscience.

Such practices include making the widow to shave her head, drink the water used to bathe her husband's corpse, sit on the floor and sleep in the same room with the corpse.

"She will not even wear any mourning clothe black or white. The Anglican Church doesn't want that anymore," Ezedum said.

I have a Dream...."one day surely,all that call themselves women will rise with one voice and condemn the repulsive and repugnant widowhood rites forced down their throat"
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by DuduNegro: 6:12pm On May 18, 2013
WIDOWHOOD RITUALS IN IGBOLAND

If we examine the comments of two widows, this would appear to be the only reason.

A 75 year old widow recounts her experience when she lost her husband in 1978;I was ordered home from Lagos to explain the cause of his death. After I had narrated everything to them (in-laws), they asked for his pass book (bank savings book) and other valuable items which I gave over to them"

A second informant, a 35 year old widow and mother of 4, noted;Our entire property was confiscated. A lorry was sent from home to come and pack all the merchandise in his supermarket. All his electronic items were also packed away. For the past year the house has been like a battle ground between me and them[.

Esther Nzewi has noted that in certain zones of Imo State;the widows ordeal begin immediately the death of her husband is announced. The in-laws demand a list of the man's property, holdings, investments, bank accounts etc. She is further required to take an oath as a proof that she has not concealed any relevant information on her husband's wealth"

Read more....

http://www.ub.uib.no/elpub/1996/h/506001/korieh/chima-Chapter-2.html
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by Abagworo(m): 6:43pm On May 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro: WIDOWHOOD RITUALS IN IGBOLAND

If we examine the comments of two widows, this
would appear to be the only reason.
A 75 year old widow recounts her experience
when she lost her husband in 1978;I was ordered
home from Lagos to explain the cause of his
death. After I had narrated everything to them
(in-laws), they asked for his pass book (bank
savings book) and other valuable items which I
gave over to them"
A second informant, a 35 year old widow and
mother of 4, noted;Our entire property was
confiscated. A lorry was sent from home to come
and pack all the merchandise in his supermarket.
All his electronic items were also packed away.
For the past year the house has been like a battle
ground between me and them[.
Esther Nzewi has noted that in certain zones of
Imo State;the widows ordeal begin immediately
the death of her husband is announced. The in-
laws demand a list of the man's property,
holdings, investments, bank accounts etc. She is
further required to take an oath as a proof that
she has not concealed any relevant information on
her husband's wealth"

Read more....

Much of those things came with Christianity and migration away from home and is not practiced by the traditional religionists(Amali). So in essence it is not Igbo tradition. What Amali requires is true show of sorrow and performance of burial rites according to the person's status in the village. African tradition does not know what is bank, lorry etc.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by ACM10: 6:52pm On May 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro: WIDOWHOOD RITUALS IN IGBOLAND

Read more....

Why do you love to flaunt your ignorance in a public forum? I have a feeling that you have mental issues. I repeat that widowhood rite in my town does not dehumanize women. Tell me what is dehumanizing in a woman in her late 70s shaving her hair, adorning white cloth and staying within the confines of her husband's house to mourn him within a stipulated time? My grandmother passed through it. So I know what I'm talking about. Mrs Achebe may choose to forgo such rite. No one will force it on her. But it will be nice that she pass through it, since her husband was a strong advocate of African traditions.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by Beync(f): 7:40pm On May 18, 2013
Hilaskee: I thought those widowhood rites of drinking water from the the bath of the corpse and sleeping in the same room with the dead body...are only performed to widows suspected to have a hand in the death of her husband?
did you see anywhere they said Achebe's wife should perform those rites? these barbaric acts has been abolished decades ago. no Jupiter can tell a widow to do such things in this age.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osinbajo,Obiano,Ikpeazu,Oshiomhole,Kachikwu,Amosun,Umahi Attend NEC In Abuja(pix / FG Denies Secretly Sharing $4Billion Paris, London Club Money / Linking Me With APC Is Like Associating Me With Armed Robbers – Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.