Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,648 members, 7,851,192 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:52 PM

Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body (14009 Views)

Sahara Reporters And Ben Murray-Bruce 'Fight' Over Social Media Bill(Tweets) / Physically Challenged Persons Fight Over N15m NDDC Largesse / Enugu APC Chiefs Fight Over Ministerial Slot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by alfaman1: 8:10pm On May 18, 2013
I feel like bombing a church.

1 Like

Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by phreakabit(m): 8:10pm On May 18, 2013
[size=18pt]So the village believe they have more rights than the family of the deceased? This is simply appalling! I wonder of they'd be doing this if he was poor, inconsequential and Well. . . Not Chinua Achebe? . . . Your guess is as good as mine!

BTW, Someone from the Achebe family should get a gun and shoot dead anyone who tries to interfere in the burial of their Father. [/size]
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by alfaman1: 8:14pm On May 18, 2013
Anyway, Achebe brought this to himself by pandering to christianity.

1 Like

Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by InvertedHammer: 8:21pm On May 18, 2013
Hilaskee: I thought those widowhood rites of drinking water from the the bath of the corpse and sleeping in the same room with the dead body...are only performed to widows suspected to have a hand in the death of her husband?

You are correct!

1 Like

Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by 2dmax(m): 8:42pm On May 18, 2013
Agbaworo, can you pls send me the link to the picture you pasted on this response? Thanks.
Abagworo:

I'm an Igbo man that's also deep in my culture. Never have I heard nor seen such practice except in instances of oath taking. If the dead is believed to have been murdered, all the suspects would undergo that ritual and take an oath of innocence. If Achebe took the Ozo title then he will be buried sitting upright on a throne in an Ozo burial chamber after undergoing the necessary rituals. The picture below depicts that.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by ACM10: 8:46pm On May 18, 2013
alfaman1: Anyway, Achebe brought this to himself by pandering to christianity.

Achebe did not pander to christianity. He was born into a christian family. So he became a christian by birth, not by choice. His late father was an orphan and refugee from a bitter intra-ethnic civil war. Achebe's paternal grandparents died in that war. His father was raised by his late uncle. An orphan status made his father to be more open to western religion. No doubt that he readily accepted western religion and became an early convert of Anglican church in my town. Achebe's late father also served as a catechist at St. Philip Anglican church Ogidi in 1940s.

Achebe suffered from identity crisis as he became more educated and wide-read. He started to trace back his root to African traditional religion from then on. If you read Achebe's works, you will observe some of these transitions in his life
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by alfaman1: 8:59pm On May 18, 2013
ACM10:

Achebe did not pander to christianity. He was born into a christian family. So he became a christian by birth, not by choice. His late father was an orphan and refugee from a bitter intra-ethnic civil war. Achebe's paternal grandparents died in that war. His father was raised by his late uncle. An orphan status made his father to be more open to western religion. No doubt that he readily accepted western religion and became an early convert of Anglican church in my town. Achebe's late father also served as a catechist at St. Philip Anglican church Ogidi in 1940s.

Achebe suffered from identity crisis as he became more educated and wide-read. He started to trace back his root to African traditional religion from then on. If you read Achebe's works, you will observe some of these transitions in his life

There is no such thing as a "christian family". If you reach an age where you should stop believing in fairy tales but chose to continue to de so, you cannot blame others. When he realised that christianity was bullcrap, he still continued in it until his death. Do you think this church would be coming out fighting for his body if he had declared himself a pagan?
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 18, 2013
S@NNiE:
The Anglican Church has said it will not release the body of the renowned author, Prof. Chinua Achebe, to the Ogidi community, Anambra State for burial.

Similarly, the church and family of the late professor have said that they will not allow his wife, Christy, to go through the traditional widowhood rites that women who lose their husbands in Igboland are made to undergo.

The Archdeacon of Ogidi and Vicar of St. Philip's Anglican Church, Ven. Obi Ubaka, told Saturday PUNCH that the body of Achebe belonged to the church, which shall perform the final rites for the fallen statesman on Thursday, May 23.

The church's reaction came as Chief S. Okoli, the Regent of Ogidi, Achebe's hometown, said the late author would be buried at night because he was a titled man.

Okoli had said, "As a titled man, he (Achebe) will be buried towards evening in line with our culture and tradition. His body will lie in state in the yam barn where daughters of the clan shall pay him their last respects before he will be buried in the night."

But the archdeacon said, "He (Achebe) is going to be buried immediately after the church service at 1 pm in broad daylight. It is not true that he will be buried at night.

"The church won't hand over the body to the community. Which one has the upper hand; the church or the community? The church has the upper hand in this case. He was a Christian and should be buried in a Christian way," Ubaka insisted.

Similarly, the Achebe family said the issue of when and how the late author would be buried was not a subject of dispute.

The head of the Umu Ada Achebe (the female members of the family), and niece of the late author, Mrs. Ngozi Ezedum, told Saturday PUNCH that the story that her uncle would be buried at night according to traditional rites was an unfounded speculation.

"He was from a real Christian family. And in the Achebe family, we do things the Christian way," Ezedum said.

She said the title that Achebe held did not in any way compromise his religion as a Christian. Achebe's Ozo title is Ugo Belu N'Orji (Eagle on the Iroko).

Ezedum said Achebe's wife could feel free to come home without fear that she will be made to undergo traditional widowhood rites.

"I have told my uncle's wife that I am around, nobody will do anything," the head of the Umu Ada said.

She, however, said other traditional rites like searching for Achebe and taking care of his body by the women would be performed.

She said the Anglican Church in the Niger Diocese had long abolished the widowhood rites because they were repugnant to good conscience.

Such practices include making the widow to shave her head, drink the water used to bathe her husband's corpse, sit on the floor and sleep in the same room with the corpse.

"She will not even wear any mourning clothe black or white. The Anglican Church doesn't want that anymore," Ezedum said.

Meanwhile, preparations for the burial of the late literary icon are ongoing.

His Ikenga Ogidi country home is a beehive of activities as workers, artisans and builders work round the clock to erect a mausoleum, which would serve as his final resting place and obi, the major reception in his compound.

The compound situated on the Ogidi-Abatete Road was cordoned off and only the people working on the project are allowed in.

The main house is also being given a facelift, while a new coat of paint has been added to the perimeter fence.

The entire Ikenga Ogidi community is also being given a face-lift as the Idemili North Local Government Council has been grading roads leading to the family home of the Achebes and the St. Philip Church, where the funeral service will be conducted.

The church building is also being rehabilitated, with dozens of painters, masons, tile layers, iron benders and electricians working on the new church auditorium, which has been selected to host the burial service.

The Archdeacon of the church, Ven. Obi Ubaka, said the family had provided financial assistance to finish the work on the new church building so that it would be ready to host the event.

"The Primate of the Church of Nigeria will lead the officiating ministers. He will be supported by the Archbishop of the Niger, the Most Rev. Christian Efobi, and the Bishop on the Niger, Rt. Rev. Owen Nwokolo," Ubaka said.

Secretary to the Anambra State Government, Mr. Oseloka Obaze, who was in Ogidi to monitor the level of work on the projects, told Saturday PUNCH that President Goodluck Jonathan and two other heads of state would be present at the burial.

Oseloka denied claims by some family members that the Anambra State Government had not provided substantial financial support for the burial of the author and playwright.

Though he did not want to go into details, Obaze said, "That is categorically wrong. That impression is wrong. Anybody, who has said that is not being forthright. That is wrong," he said.

http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/community-church-family-fight-over-achebes-body/

Cheap cockamamie story meant to sell a newspaper
Na today?
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by ACM10: 9:17pm On May 18, 2013
alfaman1:

There is no such thing as a "christian family". If you reach an age where you should stop believing in fairy tales but chose to continue to de so, you cannot blame others. When he realised that christianity was bullcrap, he still continued in it until his death. Do you think this church would be coming out fighting for his body if he had declared himself a pagan?

Achebe is not different from you and me who chose to identify with christians while keeping in touch with our root. Achebe can't afford to throw the bath water with the child. Achebe is renowned today because of the education he got, made possible by the christian missionary schools. Though the education also fired-up his African consciousness. I agree with you that Achebe would have openly declared that he was a pagan. This would have helped the pagan cause and give them more credibility, having been a victim of centuries of christian propaganda. But mind you that it is not easy to be a paganist or an atheist in this part of the world. You will be virtually ostracized by the dominant religions.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by dasparrow: 11:28pm On May 18, 2013
ACM10:

Why do you love to flaunt your ignorance in a public forum? I have a feeling that you have mental issues. I repeat that widowhood rite in my town does not dehumanize women. Tell me what is dehumanizing in a woman in her late 70s shaving her hair, adorning white cloth and staying within the confines of her husband's house to mourn him within a stipulated time? My grandmother passed through it. So I know what I'm talking about. Mrs Achebe may choose to forgo such rite. No one will force it on her. But it will be nice that she pass through it, since her husband was a strong advocate of African traditions.

@Bolded

Why must the woman's head be shaved when the hair of a woman is her glory? And then you tell me it is not dehumanizing. Is that the thank you a woman gets for sticking with her husband all this years and bearing his kids? You people are heartless with hearts as dark as the night. Life is not meant to be forever so I don't know why Nigerians and probably other Africans make such a big deal when a married man dies but when it is the wife that dies first, you people will be quick to start looking for another wife for the widower before the body of his late wife even get's cold.

This is why African women in particular need to open their eyes before accepting proposals and marrying men from certain African ethnic groups who practice barbaric customs which are meant to cause a grieving woman more pain in this 21st century. If Africa wants to remain backward, stuck with her barbaric backward cultures, then so be it but the rest of the world is forging ahead.

I don't blame Mrs Christy Achebe for choosing not to come to Nigeria for her husband's burial. No elderly woman who just lost her husband of many years needs the added stress of adhering to some ancient and brutal tradition as if shaving the head will bring back the dead. Why don't they equally castrate the men when they loose their wives to prove they have no hand in their wives' death? After all, what is good for the goose is equally good for the gander. Bunch of jokers!

1 Like

Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by Nobody: 11:33pm On May 18, 2013
Blackgold09: Things no fit fall apart o cos d church must burial him oooooo
BURY PLS wink
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by ACM10: 1:46am On May 19, 2013
dasparrow:

@Bolded

Why must the woman's head be shaved when the hair of a woman is her glory? And then you tell me it is not dehumanizing. Is that the thank you a woman gets for sticking with her husband all this years and bearing his kids? You people are heartless with hearts as dark as the night. Life is not meant to be forever so I don't know why Nigerians and probably other Africans make such a big deal when a married man dies but when it is the wife that dies first, you people will be quick to start looking for another wife for the widower before the body of his late wife even get's cold.

This is why African women in particular need to open their eyes before accepting proposals and marrying men from certain African ethnic groups who practice barbaric customs which are meant to cause a grieving woman more pain in this 21st century. If Africa wants to remain backward, stuck with her barbaric backward cultures, then so be it but the rest of the world is forging ahead.

I don't blame Mrs Christy Achebe for choosing not to come to Nigeria for her husband's burial. No elderly woman who just lost her husband of many years needs the added stress of adhering to some ancient and brutal tradition as if shaving the head will bring back the dead. Why don't they equally castrate the men when they loose their wives to prove they have no hand in their wives' death? After all, what is good for the goose is equally good for the gander. Bunch of jokers!

@bolded
Who said that the hair of a woman is her glory? Then, why are Nollywood actresses shaving their head for a peanut? Why not make the movie sponsor break their bank to pay them since hair is their glory? Why do some ladies find it fashionable to cut their hair? This is the problem with you miseducated Africans. The fact that you latched on this aspect of the rite to declare our tradition barbaric shows that your are seeing this world with a tunnel view. You mischievously left out the part where I stated that the widow can choose to be exempted from those rites.
By the way, who is accusing Mrs Achebe of killing her husband? No need to bias your mind with the bullshyt posted by Dudu Negro whose intention is to cause harm. Like someone clearly stated, those aspect of the rites has been dropped decades ago.

You are very silly by suggesting that African women should reject marriage proposal from certain ethnic group. You are one of the arrogant folks that feels that their tradition is superior. At this point in time, I see no reason to continue, since you have exposed yourself as a tribalist.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by Adejoro74: 3:24am On May 19, 2013
S@NNiE:

Such practices include making the widow to shave her head, drink the water used to bathe her husband's corpse, sit on the floor and sleep in the same room with the corpse.

/

In which Igboland is this still in practice? May be in Achebe's village but certainly not in the Igboland I come from. Crass misinformation and generalization.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by thoth: 6:40am On May 19, 2013
alfaman1: I feel like bombing a church.
I feel the same way too. I have read all the man's books and this is exactly what he was preaching against. Igbos has been brainwashed soo much that they are now dangerous unto themselves. Imagine a titled man, does the church have any idea what happens when he got the title and the process.
I look at Igbos and their struggle for Biafra and i just laugh.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by thoth: 6:48am On May 19, 2013
ACM10:

But mind you that it is not easy to be a paganist or an atheist in this part of the world. You will be virtually ostracized by the dominant religions.
i don't totally agree with the above because if you move up to Uke in the same Idemili North there is an active pagan Movement going on, they even have uniforms. When i was in Nigeria last year i attended a burial of one of my relatives and believe me it not like the other rubbish we are used to. For those of us whom were not born and raised in Africa i for once felt the Africaness of the event, the deepness, the connection and life which sustained it. I think that is what we all need, a Pagan Movement like that. The Colonialists used the Bloody Christianity to exploit us and now their left over Zombies are after us still.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by highbee92(m): 8:49am On May 19, 2013
Alhamdulilahi, thank God for Islam
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by Abagworo(m): 9:30am On May 19, 2013
2dmax: Agbaworo, can you pls send me the link to the picture you pasted on this response? Thanks.

http://www.osondu.com/VolumeFour/Igboukwubronze.htm

http://igbocybershrine.com/tag/igbo-spirituality/
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by OCcool: 10:39pm On May 19, 2013
goldolu: Since the hunter have decided to shoot without missing, the birds have also decided to fly without perching
GBAM!!!
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by oge4real(f): 6:47am On May 20, 2013
This goes to those who think they can serve God and Mamon. If you love your family and do not want to put them in confusion after your demise, then by all means do not take up titles that will contradict your religious beliefs when you are gone.
We should learn to make our stand known while living.
Leaving one's spouse and family to fight with community/ religious bodies/occultic sects is a vey selfish thing to do in my opinion.
Re: Achebe: Community, Church, Family Fight Over Body by nmagirl(f): 9:56am On May 20, 2013
IGBO-SON:
Umu-Ada!.....a very powerful group of women in any extended family, trust me! shocked

Umu-Ada, the ones who destroys other women's home n marriages
......... who dictactes to a woman how she should live with her husband
Who sent their brothers wife packing without trying to resolve the problem or giving husband n wife chance to reconcile their differences.
The ones who leave their husband homes and who refuses to marry or stay in marriage.
Umu-ada...........the ones who beats a fellow woman and naked her publicly because she refuse to join August meeting (as if it is by force to join a group)
The ones who maltreats another woman because she is not from their town (jealousy and hatred)

The ones who are so quick to accuse a woman for killing her husband and ever-ready to shave her hair, liaise with the lazy and greedy kinsmen to strip the woman of her husbands properties, the ones who collects a woman's child from her and send her away without allowing her to have access to her child...............

Umu Ada, Umu Ada............ it is so uncountable. they are the tools that the evil kinsmen use to achieve their plan.

Before you start telling me that it is a lie, I am talking out of experience. My mother was a victim of Umu Ada Until she drag them to court and won the case because Women Affairs intervened. Igbos have a long way to go with some of their stupid cultures.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adeyanju Deji Apologizes To Oby Ezekwesili Over Attack On #BringBackOurGirls / FIRS Seals Peter Obi's Company, Other Companies In Lagos, Kano / FG Procures Technology To Monitor, Prevent Grid Collapse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.