Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,444 members, 7,846,845 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 03:42 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (68166 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by oneeast: 9:20pm On May 19, 2013
eazzzy1:

So I guess its fair to call drogba father of African football?

People like Pele, Maradona has done much more than Drogba.

Mention one African that has his singular book translated into over 50 languages? Just mention one.

Before Achebe outside world knew nothing about Africa, Achebe took Africa to the world stage. Igbos didn't even tag him that title, it was a Noble holder from South Africa that actually called Achebe the Father of African Literature. It grew like wild fire to all over the world.

Today at the world stage Achebe is known as the father of modern African literature. His works has affected people all over the world more any other African writer. His works is a standard curriculum in virtually all the universities around the world. So in a nutshell its a giant feat no African has got to. That is why Achebe is an eagle on iroko. Father of African Literature RIP
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 9:20pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Wole Soyinka is far ahead Chinua Achebe. While Chinua Achebe is known only in writing fictions, Wole Soyinka is, in addition to being known as a poet and a dramatist, also known for activism, essay writing, the MC at independence day ceremony on 01/10/1960, the founder FRSC, the winner of drama entries for independence in 1960 etc. It is only the educated class that read literature that know Chinua Achebe. But in addition to being known as a writer, Wole Soyinka is also known even by illiterates as an activist, a critic, etc. My uncle in the village without education knows Wole Soyinka.

Whatever makes you happy dearcheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Mrchippychappy(m): 9:23pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Wole Soyinka is far ahead Chinua Achebe. While Chinua Achebe is known only in writing fictions, Wole Soyinka is, in addition to being known as a poet and a dramatist, also known for activism, essay writing, the MC at independence day ceremony on 01/10/1960, the founder FRSC, the winner of drama entries for independence in 1960 etc. It is only the educated class that read literature that know Chinua Achebe. But in addition to being known as a writer, Wole Soyinka is also known even by illiterates as an activist, a critic, etc. My uncle in the village without education knows Wole Soyinka.

Oh ....Now i see why the FRSC is such a mess !
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bloggernaija: 9:23pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
The truth is that, the only reason why people try to compare Soyinka to Achebe is unconnected with the fact that Soyinka won the Nobel prize. Had he not won it, he would have just been regarded with the likes of Elechi Amadi, Cyprian Ekwensi, Ola Rotimit etc.

Sorry to say but wole Soyinka inhabits another level of the literary planet . He is a combination of what all great writers are made of.
He is an activist, social critic ,crusader,wordsmith and a literary giant who is in touch with trends in a way Achebe never was.
When he speaks .people listen.
Things fall apart and then what ?
As for the moniker,"father of African literature". I will just simply compare it to the "Giant of Africa" nonsense .even in nigeria ,bishop ajayi crowther has a bigger right to the father of modern nigerian literature.he paved the way for most of your forefathers including achebe's ,to read and write in the first instance

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by InvertedHammer: 9:24pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Sorry! Wole Soyinka's Kongi Harvest was adapted for the movies in 1971.

And the best Wole Soyinka could do is name his work Konji Harvest. grin grin grin

I think Wole Soyinka is losing his mind. Perhaps, all the blood he shed from his cult days in campus
is playing tricks with his mind. Well, isn't Nigeria the land of the absurd?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 9:24pm On May 19, 2013
bloggernaija:

Sorry to say but wole Soyinka inhabits another level of the literary planet . He is a combination of what all great writers are made of.
He is an activist, social critic ,crusader,wordsmith and a literary giant who is in touch with trends in a way Achebe never was.
When he speaks .people listen.
As for the moniker,"father of African literature". I will just simply compare it to the "Giant of Africa" nonsense .even in nigeria ,bishop ajayi crowther has a bigger to the father of modern nigerian literature.he paved the way for most of your forefathers including achebe's ,to read and write in the first instance
He's a combination of what European writers are known for. Most of his work does not touch base. That's why he can't even be considered as one of the fathers of African literature.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 19, 2013
Obiagu1:

Not today.

Ha ma ka ha si akpu anyi n'ala

Lol

If given a choice of fame ,recognition and everlasting fortune passed on to your offspring on one hand and the pomp and pageantry of the Nobel and to be virtually unknown I would think most artists would chose the former.
I would

If you asked an average person on the streets who won the Nobel prize of literature in 2012,I bet you nobody knows him Or her ( except those in the literary field) let alone remember the person who won in 1986
That is just the plain truth
But mention the book Things fall apart,millions would say Chinua Achebe
That is a great legacy to leave behind

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:29pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

Who cares lol. Is anyone checking for that film or know it exists?

Ironically the film Soyinka is well known for is based on Things Fall Apart.

Its come full circle for the guy cheesy

Wole Soyinka left Chinua Achebe as far back as 1986. They are not mates. Even after winning the Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka still writes. There is hardly any two years he does publish a book apart from numerous essays. His book, Harmattan On An African Spring, was launched recently.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 9:32pm On May 19, 2013
I shall reiterate you cannot COMPARE Chinua Achebe with Wole Soyinka.

Their prose are different and the fact that some of you are arguing about this simply show you do not understand literature.

How can you compare novels with drama?

Or should I say how can you compare a novelist with a playwright? It cannot be done.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by oneeast: 9:32pm On May 19, 2013
Here are the greatest two Africans..a South African and an Igbo-Nigerian.

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 9:33pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Wole Soyinka left Chinua Achebe as far back as 1986. They are not mates. Even after winning the Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka still writes. There is hardly any two years he does publish a book apart from numerous essays. His book, Harmattan On An African Spring, was launched recently.

Who are you trying to convince? If all you are saying makes you happy, good for you.cheesy

Its like you have this need to prove to me what you are saying is true and I should take your word.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:

Who reads those works
That is the question
How many has he sold ?
The amount he has sold is not documented, that shows you it not as significant as many other writers.
He is a smart man,yes but his works are not as popular going by book sales
None of his works are required texts not even in Nigeria
At the end of the day,it is all about the numbers

At the time Achebe published his memoirs,WS also wrote a book,who knows the title of Wole's book?
Many are just hearing of that book there from you

[size=18pt]
Musiwa aka becomerich churns out a thousand threads every blessed week,who reads and contributes in them [/size] grin grin grin
It is not by the amount of books dear

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by InvertedHammer: 9:34pm On May 19, 2013
Have you ever listened to Wole Soyinka's interviews.
I was mesmerized by how Sowore was able to answer questions directly in the last encounter that had Okupe, Soyinka and Sowore in attendance

Soyinka is just a less comical and less dramatic version of Patrick Obahiagbon.
Problem with Soyinka is that he is too rigid and tries too hard to impress with crammed up vocabularies which distort the message in the context he uses them.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ajanaku2(m): 9:37pm On May 19, 2013
one.east:

Why did you bother yourself with that dunce? grin There chest beating cannot help any matter, soyinka is not know outside Yoruba borders. Whereas Achebe is known all over the world..who is now greater between the two?

Nobody can change the fact that Achebe is the Father of modern African Literature.
Immediately after winning the Nobel prize in 1986, Soyinka had academic offers from top universities in the World; Ivy League and Oxbridge. He rebuffed their plum and lucrative offers and opted to stay with the then University of Ife, not until Abacha forced him out of the country! That's a true and through Nigerian...

Achebe relocated to the USA, claiming the bad roads in Nigeria caused his "Skoroism", as if accidents don't happen on the smooth roads of Massachusetts...Well, he was a Biafran!

If only some Niggers know what it means to be a Nobel Laureate...
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by oneeast: 9:39pm On May 19, 2013
InvertedHammer:
I was mesmerized by how Sowore was able to answer questions directly in the last encounter that had Okupe, Soyinka and Sowore in attendance

Problem with Soyinka is that he is too rigid and tries too hard to impress with crammed up vocabularies which distort the message in the context he uses them.

This is a fact. Infact I have not seen any difference between Patrick Obahiagbon and Wole Soyinka grammar. Mixing Yoruba and english at the same time just like Patrick grin grin grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:40pm On May 19, 2013
ajanaku2:
Immediately after winning the Nobel prize in 1986, Soyinka had academic offers from top universities in the World; Ivy League and Oxbridge. He rebuffed their plum and lucrative offers and opted to stay with the then University of Ife, not until Abacha forced him out of the country! That's a true and through Nigerian...

Achebe relocated to the USA, claiming the bad roads in Nigeria caused his "Skoroism", as if accidents don't happen on the smooth roads of Massachusetts...Well, he was a Biafran!

Ndi area boys don enter
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by whatofyou: 9:40pm On May 19, 2013
When some Africans in the same literary class as Achebe are comfortable calling him by that title, I cannot see the reason why Soyinka is making matter out of it. I will not blame Africa and some honest parts of the world for giving him that title, afterall we are not fools, even if the western world thinks otherwise.
When we started having feelings that some of our children were going to honoured for their excellence in literature, we knew that it would not be long before Chinua's name got mentioned. Since the body responsible for the award thought otherwise, men and women of integrity decided to celebrate him in their own way. Like someone said, it might still get to him posthumously. He deserved the father of modern African literature title.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 9:41pm On May 19, 2013
InvertedHammer:

Which is why his works are not as widely read. But peoole here feel that the more difficult your prose is the better the book. Some of the best books are the most simple in nature.

JK Rowing's will be classics for years to come and she didn't have to hit you over the head with a dictionary to do it. She told a story simple.

Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, and etc are still remembered for their stories despite being dead, because the stories are worth rereading and passing on to the next generation.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by karis2(f): 9:41pm On May 19, 2013
Jealousy jealousy in the air!Wole go sleep chooo.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

Which is why his works are not as widely read. But peoole here feel that the more difficult your prose is. Some of the best books are the most simple in nature.

JK Rowing's will be classics for years to come and she didn't have to hit you over the head with a dictionary to do it.

And by the way she is also a fictional writer grin grin grin

This is for those who think fiction means less
Charles dickens ,perhaps the greatest writer of all times also won his fame by fiction grin

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DerideGull(m): 9:46pm On May 19, 2013
It is pitiful to read craps posted by certain individuals from a particular ethnicity in Nigeria because Achebe had been referred as “Father of African Literature” by mostly Africans. Yet they make boastful noises over the “Nobel Laureate” awarded to WS by group of KKK members based in Sweden.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 9:48pm On May 19, 2013
ajanaku2:

He left because he was paralyzed from his injury and Nigeria is not known to be wheelchair friendly. But your "version" my mistake "lie" sounds so much better cheesy lmao lazy people can't even consult wikipedia for Godsakes.

Nigeria is not friendly to healthy human beings how nuch you want to wager that life for this disabled is no picnic. But you are among the privileged to not worry about those things so you make ignorant statements like this.

Achebe stopped writing for a while because he said he does his best writing in Nigeria and draws inspiration from the Nigerian setting. cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by OneNaira6: 9:50pm On May 19, 2013
oooh it's so sad reading this. I'm so disappointed. SMH. how the mighty has falling. it cannot be wole soyinka that said this, it just cannot be. SMH!!!! he's the only one from clan that we all can attest does not have petty jealousy and enviness for those that achieved more than him. such a shame, our opinion of him is so far from the truth. wole soyinka please noooo. say it is not so. reading this article, it's easy to see jealousy towards his colleague, it's sad too cause he never showed this envy when his colleague was alive. smh. wole soyinka give props when props is due. Chinua Achebe did not name himself "father of modern African literature", another African did and the entire world accepted it as fact. stop being jealous, noone is taking your achievement from you by calling CA that. The feat he was able to do was not an easy task. if it was, you, WS, would have achieved it as well and till this day you have not. CA is the number one Nigerian author recognized by others; chiamanda is getting there but even she haven't touched the greatness of CA. CA has single handily promoted other African writersdentified, including your own, without even saying a word. in my 11th grade, our literature book contained small sections of Chinua achebe's work and one of your poetry. At the end book, the authors identified what inspired them to include the works in their textbook. underneath your name and poetry, the author specifically mentioned it was CA works that sent them looking for other Nigerian authors to see if there is anyone worthy like CA.
CA things fall apart, fiction or not, is the only African book that we know that that've intrigued the world to seek and learn about African culture prior to colonization. SMH @WS. it's such a shame he fell this low. you can see the jealousy oozing off from the comment where he mentioned "CA is just a storyteller". what does he, WS, think he is? is he not just a story teller as well? all literature writes are story tellers. I pray to God, it is old age coming out. I pray that man is not being influenced negatively in that country. This is like the third time he's dissappointed me this year. I pray it's just old age.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

He left because he was paralyzed from his injury and Nigeria is not known to be wheelchair friendly. But your "version" my mistake "lie" sounds so much better cheesy lmao lazy people can't even consult wikipedia for Godsakes.

Very ignorant the things you read here
These are the same people besieging prayer houses and babalawos for American and Afghanistan visas grin
How many times a year does Soyinka travel outside of Nigeria?
Doesn't he seek healthcare outside of Nigeria
His first wife that bore his first son was an Oyibo woman for heavens sake so who is more black or more Nigerian here if living in Nigeria is a sure sign of loving your homeland
Rubbish
Achebe was involved in a ghastly accident that would have left him dead had he stayed in Nigeria
Don't mind these ignoramuses clutching at straws
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 19, 2013
Spot the difference in baba in his 30s, 50s and 70s.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (46) (Reply)

Soldier In Ngala, Borno Surrounded By Ladies For Selfie (Photos) / Meet Justice Adebukola Banjoko, Tough Female Judge That Jailed Nyame & Dariye / President Paul Biya's Gift To Buhari In Cameroon (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.