Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,243 members, 7,829,443 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (68059 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:44pm On May 19, 2013
DerideGull:

Which empire if I may ask you? And classified as one of the wonders of the world by whom? I guess you were not referring to those so-called village empires of yesteryears.

GTFOH!! grin

I'm passionate about my Ijebu identity but I won't let you bait me into another ethnic superiority slugfest. That's what you breath, eat, drink, sleep, and talk about all the time.

Catch us if you can!!! wink
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:46pm On May 19, 2013
babyosisi:

My Ijebu friend told me it is speculated that Ijebus originated fom the Jewish tribe
I said eziokwu grin grin

Nah, we're the Jebusites from the Bible - the owners of Palestine!!! grin grin grin

GTFOHWTBW.. grin
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:47pm On May 19, 2013
eko ilee: Very interesting read....
very long read. angry
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 19, 2013
Just found this!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
What i said is my personal opinion so is yours, your own opinion. Aren't we entitled to our opinions anymore?

Forget opinions now. Have you read any work from these people you mention so carelessly? You want people to take your opinions seriously and yet all you have done is hear of this book, hear of that book without you bothering to read any grin

Wonders!

If all you know about Soyinka is his nobel prize, you have no business on this thread. You're unqualified to assert anything on either divide the thread has thrown up i.e Soyinka v Achebe . Not qualified to assess Soyinka and not enlightened enough to assess Achebe. The only thing you're good for here is to compare ethnic joysticks and fight for who's got the largest.

You started well on this thread but unfortunately, and rather predictably I must say, you got into the ethnic gutter you always unsuccessfully avoid.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DerideGull(m): 10:52pm On May 19, 2013
texazzpete:

I dare you to point out any of my posts on Nairaland where I embraced tribal bias. I'm not sure if you were under the influence of alcoholic beverages when you made this daft statement.
Provide your evidence or STFU.

It appears you are down with bottles and do not deserve any evidence so STFU, olodo.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eggheaders(m): 10:52pm On May 19, 2013
hello this back and forth is getting so nauseating, y'all should give yourselves rounds of applause for proving the Prof right on the stupidity of most Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by geekinthelead: 10:54pm On May 19, 2013
WOLE SOYINKA IS AN EDUCATED ILLITERATE!... tongue tongue
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 10:54pm On May 19, 2013
TouchDown:

Forget opinions now. Have you read any work from these people you mention so carelessly? You want people to take your opinions seriously and yet all you have done is hear of this book, hear of that book without you bothering to read any grin

Wonders!

If all you know about Soyinka is his nobel prize, you have no business on this thread. You're unqualified to assert anything on either divide the thread has thrown up i.e Soyinka v Achebe . Not qualified to assess Soyinka and not enlightened enough to assess Achebe. The only thing you're good for here is to compare ethnic joysticks and fight for who's got the largest.

You started well on this thread but unfortunately, and rather predictably I must say, you got into the ethnic gutter you always unsuccessfully avoid.

I'm not a literature freak but i've been opportuned to read a couple of Nigerian literary works which includes those of Achebe and Soyinka, so i'm in a good position to assess them and whatever i say here is my personal opinion and does not represent those of popular knowledge. Now, over to you. Have you read their books?

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 10:56pm On May 19, 2013
eggheaders: hello this back and forth is getting so nauseating, y'all should give yourselves rounds of applause for proving the Prof right on the stupidity of most Nigerians.

I'm glad you included yourself among the idi.ot.s of Nigeria.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by thrugemaster(m): 10:56pm On May 19, 2013
Some comments on this forum will make you question the value of the commentator's education? Some facts that should not be disputed by any intelligent mind are as follows:

1) The fact that a writer sells billions of his book does not make him the best! It is a very naive classification. Even 'Ikebe Super' can sell a billion copy if the story is interesting and appealing to people! What an argument?

2) 'Father of African Literature' is quite different from 'Father of Modern African Literature.' While a wise man will differentiate both, an unwise man will not even spot the difference.

3) Everybody is entitled to his opinion.

4) A rational man will always respect the opinion of a fellow human being.

5) An aggressive man will always desire to suppress the opinions of others once they conflict with his.

6) The greatness of both Soyinka and Achebe is too much to be devalued by any Nobel Prize.

7) The fact that a man won Nobel Prize does not make him superior to his colleague!

cool The greatness of Achebe and Soyinka is too much to be devalued or evaluated by the majority of the people on this Forum, especially based on their line of reasoning!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eggheaders(m): 10:57pm On May 19, 2013
geekinthelead: WOLE SOYINKA IS AN EDUCATED ILLITERATE!... tongue tongue

your moniker speak volume of your personality. firstly get rid of the excess lead in your blood stream, probably that will help your medulla function.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:00pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

Seriously, have you got a life? You have been this thread since 2pm UK time(about 9 hrs straight) repeating the same thing over and over again. Are you not bored? grin

I've been in and out, multi-tasking and getting things done. You need to leave the thread and let it breath. undecided
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:00pm On May 19, 2013
I've always known ethnic sharks will feast on this thread. Opium for them grin
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 11:00pm On May 19, 2013
da vinci code's (and others) fictional story are just for pure leisure and fantasy for readers. That's very unlike things fall apart, a fiction built on cultural cum political reality, not to mention, aesthetic and moral depth. Maybe brown and grisham should be read in academic institutions...no, because their works are very unlike achebe.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 11:01pm On May 19, 2013
da vinci code's (and others) fictional story are just for pure leisure and fantasy for readers. That's very unlike things fall apart, a fiction built on cultural cum political reality, not to mention, aesthetic and moral depth. Maybe brown and grisham should be read and taught in academic institutions...no, because their works are very unlike achebe.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 19, 2013
thrugemaster: Some comments on this forum will make you question the value of the commentator's education? Some facts that should not be disputed by any intelligent mind are as follows:

1) The fact that a writer sells billions of his book does not make him the best! It is a very naive classification. Even 'Ikebe Super' can sell a billion copy if the story is interesting and appealing to people! What an argument?

2) 'Father of African Literature' is quite different from 'Father of Modern African Literature.' While a wise man will differentiate both, an unwise man will not even spot the difference.

5) An aggressive man will always desire to suppress the opinions of others once they conflict with his.

6) The greatness of both Soyinka and Achebe is too much to be devalued by any Nobel Prize.

7) The fact that a man won Nobel Prize does not make him superior to his colleague!

cool The greatness of Achebe and Soyinka is too much to be devalued or evaluated by the majority of the people on this Forum, especially based on their line of reasoning!

The first line got me ROFL
Ikebe super lol
What an analogy
I hope you are comparing ikebe to it's rival lulu not a serious magazine or newspaper

undecided undecided undecided

But you cannot knock ikebe super like that o
If it has more sales than the daily times that means it is fulfilling a need that the daily times isn't
Is that a bad thing?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eggheaders(m): 11:02pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

ain't gat time doing back and forth with some emotional peeps. that reason with their emotions and use their brains to walk. madam the new man is giving you a field day even veterans in your school of thought like Mr globe were reduced to irrelevant dolts by my verbal venom. if winning the debate will make have a good night rest goodluck to you.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 11:06pm On May 19, 2013
thrugemaster: Some comments on this forum will make you question the value of the commentator's education? Some facts that should not be disputed by any intelligent mind are as follows:

You have made very valid points but i don't agree with the Ikebe super example. If Ikebe Super sells more than any other song, it simply means it's the best in that particular clime. if you don't think so, then tell me how we determine what's best and what's not?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 11:06pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx:

Seriously, have you got a life? You have been this thread since 2pm UK time(about 9 hrs straight) repeating the same thing over and over again. Are you not bored? grin

I've been in and out, multi-tasking and getting things done. You need to leave the thread and let it breath. undecided

Yeah sure you have. Is that why you have a post on every page cheesy

If I want to say the same damn thing day in day out, is it your business? Do you pay my bills? Jesus move the hell on with your unfortunately shaped self.

cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 11:07pm On May 19, 2013
eggheaders:

ain't gat time doing back and forth with some emotional peeps. that reason with their emotions and use their brains to walk. madam the new man is giving you a field day even veterans in your school of thought like Mr globe were reduced to irrelevant dolts by my verbal venom. if winning the debate will make have a good night rest goodluck to you.

Yawn.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ekoileee: 11:07pm On May 19, 2013
babe_online:
very long read. angry

Unfortunately, the ignorants turned it upside down...
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by theripper2: 11:08pm On May 19, 2013
Free education is deleterious I tell ya.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 19, 2013
eko ileee:

Unfortunately, the ignorants turned it upside down...

*waka*
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by eggheaders(m): 11:10pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

Yawn.

You know the problem I see with you which is prevalent with everyone
in your tribe? EMOTIONS, You are just emotional like bitches
You wrote how many paragraph no single Data or figure. My post you
quoted was loaded with figures and verifiable facts
Thats why you would continue to be failures.
A people that act on emotions is always an accident waiting to
Happen.
A little history lessons would show us its not new, Its sewn in the DNA,
How else would someone wake up and declare war based on emotions.
Do you have any allies? NO , Do you have weapons? No 200 guns, Do
you have stockpile of food? No our opponent would feed us. Do you
have money? No we would use our opponents currency etc.
So why are you going to war? We are the bravest army in Africa and
chukwu is with us. . Series of decisions based on emotions alone.
Your brother came here to beat his Chest about how the Eastern
Nigerian budget overtakes Nigeria, We broke it down and we saw that
the SE contribution to this awesome budget is less than 25%?
Its like a Greek or Mexican coming to boast about European or North
American economy when they barely contribute anything to it.
Emotional statements Like We are 60% of the voting population of
Kano, We own 70% of Lagos, We are 60% of Jos, We own 80% of Port
Harcourt is what makes even your SS neighbours detest you.
Stand on your own dont leech on people. All these senseless SE/SS
" attache by force" just show you as desperate parasites
There is a sizable Yoruba population in North Central, You dont see
anyone shouting SW/NC bla bla,
There is a sizable population of people with Yorubalike ancestry in SS
states of Delta and Edo, You dont see anyone shouting SW-SS bla bla
bla
The more you yell the more you get exposed for what you are.
Leeches.
dayokanu really figured out the mindset of this peeps here. any
sensible person should stop doing a back and forth with this set of
programmed humanoids.

ponder on this when you come to your senses.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by geekinthelead: 11:11pm On May 19, 2013
eggheaders:

your moniker speak volume of your personality. firstly get rid of the excess lead in your blood stream, probably that will help your medulla function.

clown.. what does that mean
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm not a literature freak but i've been opportuned to read a couple of Nigerian literary works which includes those of Achebe and Soyinka, so i'm in a good position to assess them and whatever i say here is my personal opinion and does not represent those of popular knowledge. Now, over to you. Have you read their books?

Of course sire. I have. As a matter of necessity in fact. In one breath you say no one knows anything about WS apart from his nobel prize win (the irony of that is sure lost on you) and now you say you've read "literary works which includes those of Achebe and Soyinka" if you actually have , I'm sure you would see the futility and daftness of this whole debate.

Except, of course, you're in to it for another reason entirely. grin

I hope you and all others of your ilk from both sides are satisfied that you've all done a decent job in proving to no one in particular apart from yourselves that your "brother" is the man.
cheesy

I'm out.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (46) (Reply)

#SackBuhari: Lai Mohammed Begs Nigerians To Pardon Buhari Over Certificate / Juju Priestesses At Edo Assembly, Curse Obaseki’s Enemies / Oyegun, Patience And Goodluck Jonathan At Ekwueme's Burial (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.