Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,402 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (67931 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:18pm On May 19, 2013
Osisi

Michael Jackson is the King of Pop because he created that genre of music. And he's the highest selling artist of all time. Before MJ, there was nothing like pop(popular) music and as long as he remains the highest selling artist ever, he'll forever remain the King of Pop.

Elvis isn't the father of anything; perhaps the father of white people's version of rock n' roll. If anyone deserves to be the top-of-the-pops in rock n' roll - then it should be James Brown.

These folks need to stop throwing titles around.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by KDULAR: 1:19pm On May 19, 2013
In a way you are correct being proud of who we are just like any other people will but we make the loudest noise, sorry. That may not be true in all aspects though because some people in this country really appreciates other people for their peculiarities and what they bring to the table and are humble enough to concede such to the other people. a virtue in-born and indoctrinated into , they don't force their ways and believes down the throat of others and therefore has the largest population and indeed percentage of non-indigenes residing and making a GOOD living from their area. Anytime you come in the country Nigeria, that's where you'll most likely feel safe to stay.
sweetcheecks:

Wow, you are hopeless!

By the way I have come to accept that Africa to Nigerians mean Nigeria. That is painfull realisation.

It also make me wonder why the tittle of the Father of African Literature would be given by Americans just becouse the man happened to work among them. If one takes you discription of what the status af a Father of. . . What about the Sotongas, the Plaatjies who wrote most African most popular anthem? God bless Africa?
And how come none of the initial SA writers are not called fathers as they were the first to be educated and have a black university in Africa ( Uni Forte 1916 vs Uni Ibadan 1948 )

And why were and are still most Africans not aware of Chinua? But are very well aware of Soyinka?
If he is father aint we as African suppose to impose the tittle on him rather than some Americans who get exposed for the first time to a African/Nigerian writer?

Please forcing a crown on this man is more disgraceful and embarassing more than anything. Please let go! He is a father of his children, for goodness sake! Go be a hero and stop looking for heros.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 1:20pm On May 19, 2013
texazzpete:

I thank God I am neither Igbo or Yoruba so I can make this statement without being tagged with a tribal brush.

You, my dear, are an imbecilic dolt!
You are one of the ignoramuses WS so aptly described in this interview. What does it matter if 'others' (who WS rightly calls 'misguided' or 'overcome with exuberance')called Achebe the 'father of African Literature'? The man himself never called himself that...nor did any of the major literary icons in Nigeria label him that. So what is this fascination with foisting such a title on him?

Will you shut up. Stop hiding your bias behind the label "I'm neither Igbo nor Yoruba". Can you ever make your point without throwing insults and being downright condescending?
Why are you getting hard-on with the label given to Achebe by others? She made some very valid points, while you are trying to intimidate her. Why can't you respectfully make your point?

Freudian slip? YOU need to get over your jealousy and pettiness.
You should take that advice

Nobody would ever call Elvis the 'Father of Rock and Roll'. Michael Jackson has never been called the 'father of Pop'.
King of pop nko? embarassed

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 19, 2013
wingman: @babyosisi, thank you so much. Adadioramma. Thank you!
Birds of a feather flock together. WS was refering to you and your sister, Babywood. Mmu anofia ne me ka han shi Ohanfia.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by abes(m): 1:26pm On May 19, 2013

Psy is the father of Internet musicians because gangnam style is the most played song on the Internet.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by olabukola: 1:26pm On May 19, 2013
Did the Ibo's give him the title or whatever? Y are we fight over what we cannot control, We can argue from now till after his burial all the international media will still call him by that title weda WS or any of us agree or not.

It seems everything these days is ibo vs yoruba

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by sarutobie(m): 1:27pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx: Osisi

Michael Jackson is the King of Pop because he created that genre of music. And he's the highest selling artist of all time. Before MJ, there was nothing like pop(popular) music and as long as he remains the highest selling artist ever, he'll forever remain the King of Pop.

Elvis isn't the father of anything; perhaps the father of white people's version of rock n' roll. If anyone deserves to be the top-of-the-pops in rock n' roll - then it should be James Brown.

These folks need to stop throwing titles around.
This guy just said there was nothing like Pop music before micheal jackson!!?? NLanders keep on suprising me everyday.lol

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 1:29pm On May 19, 2013
This is the bye-product of chasing Igbo posters out of this website. What I see here is one-sided account with no one to counter them.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Afam4eva(m): 1:31pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx: Osisi

Pop music is another term for "popular music" and started before Micheal Jackson was born, so i don't know what you mean by he created pop music.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 19, 2013
sarutobie:
This guy just said there was nothing like Pop music before micheal jackson!!?? NLanders keep on suprising me everyday.lol

Do you even know what pop music is? I reiterate, there was nothing called "Pop Music" before Michael Jackson. Pop music means popular music - Michael Jackson broke all barriers and created the genre, period. All the other crap is invalid!

Pop music = Michael Jackson!!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ZUBY77(m): 1:36pm On May 19, 2013
Wole Soyinka is simply Jealous.
Hear me out first. We live on Earth where a lot of fields are generalized. Almost everything anyway.

Every year Fifa selects the best 11 players of the season from each position but FIFA still gives one person the BEST PLAYER FOR THE YEAR.

We understand that Soyinka is trying to differentiate between fiction and reality here but they are all part of literature.
Achebe wrote a book '' things fall apart'' and it became a hit. Although it was fiction but it represents what was happening between colonial white and Africans then.

So If foreign media and co said that ACHEBE is the father, then he is the father.

Some of you Yorubas should leave sentiments behind sometimes and face the fact.

9 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by KDULAR: 1:36pm On May 19, 2013
JAmes Brown the father of rock n roll :oJAmes Brown the father of rock n roll where is Little Richie ?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pop music is another term for "popular music" and started before Micheal Jackson was born, so i don't know what you mean by he created pop music.

Started before what? You mean all those little concerts they are trying to call pop music are also pop music? undecided

When you sell 100 million copies of one album(Thriller) and your songs are popular from Japan, to Maui, to Kinshaha, to Amsterdam, to Papua New Guinea, to Delhi - that's popular music.

Michael Jackson was popular music!

Anyway, don't derail the thread.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 19, 2013
Aigbofa: Bluff is no substitute for bullets! A lesson so simple, yet so difficult for some to learn.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 19, 2013
Aigbofa: Bluff is no substitute for bullets! A lesson so simple, yet so difficult for some to learn.
So difficult indeed.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DerideGull(m): 1:43pm On May 19, 2013
philfearon: Why do i get this Feeling that all those against Achebe in dis Thread are Yoruba People? I gues u pple r unhapy it was nt ur Sole Woyinka dat is being labelled as "Father of African Literature" right? I dnt blame u pple anyway...OTher Writers r nt Crying Foul abt it,So why ir Wole Soyinka beggin 4 atention?i wil tel u dis Wole nd ur Yoruba suporters,u guys Suck...kip cryin like Kids 4 all i care...CHINUA ACHEBE'S "THINGS FALL APART" is stil d greatest novel 4rm Africa,nd is even publishd in Ova 15languages worldwide....can u beat that til u die @WOLE SOYINKA?

Certain cretins in Nigeria are known to subject everything in the country through the prism of tribalism. They will scorn at what phrases few African had chosen to represent those who have contributed to certain growths in the continent of Africa. In the other hand, they praise and cherish the craps such “Nobel Laureate” Europeans have tossed toward Africans for perpetuating the disdainful status blanketed over Africa by individuals such as Joseph Conrad and his “Heart of Darkness”.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by sweetcheecks(f): 1:44pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx:

But is Muhammad Ali even the greatest boxer of the last century? Sugar Ray Robinson was far greater than Ali(and I'm the biggest Muhammad Ali fan). Some of these titles are just plain stupid and dumb.

That was the same way Nelson Mandela was named the "Greatest African" and "Father of Africa." Like seriously, what did he do for Africa?

It's high time we all started educating ourselves about African history. Africa didn't start during the colonial era. There were so many greats/legends from that continent before the modern era. And there's absolutely no father of anything in Africa!

Correction bhuti! Tata Mandela is a Father of a Nation, South Africa, not father of a race or Continent.He is our ours but we have been sharing him with world.

I have never heared him being called Father of Africa ever, I think you are making this up. Hence South Africans black or white choose to call him "Tata" Xhosa meaning of Father. This is the language we understand and others choose to join us in calling him "Tata" mind you he is never called father in english or anything other of the 10 of the 11 official languages in SA this is reserved for his people in the native language of his tribe Xhosa, not banning others to join in calling him Tata.

He is just loved in the world over but never claimed any position in the world except willingness to die for his people and his beloved country!

LONG LIVE THE SOUTH AFRICAN ICON!!!
LONG LIVE NELSON RHOLIHLAHLA MANDELA!!!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ZACHIE: 1:47pm On May 19, 2013
DerideGull: I can safely say that WS is a playwright or dramatist not an author.
If this is where your `safely conclusion` concludes, then, you are dwelling in a `Fool,s Paradise`
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:49pm On May 19, 2013
X-factoria:

You didn't quite comprehend WS sayings. All those examples you gave (in bold) are genres of music. I'm glad you didn't say any of those guys is the father of music. Saying Achebe is the Father of African literature is myopic because Achebe only writes fiction which is just one branch of literature. There are playwriters and others who do completely different things. If people like you are desperate to make Achebe a King, the best you can do is make him a father of fiction or "storytelling" but after reviewing his work against those other African storytellers that WS mentioned. Don't just sit down with your limited understanding of literature and make pronunciations that give you away as lacking in education.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:50pm On May 19, 2013
sweetcheecks:
Correction bhuti! Tata Mandela is a Father of a Nation, South Africa, not father of a race or Continent.He is our ours but we have been sharing him with world.

I have never heared him being called Father of Africa ever, I think you are making this up. Hence South Africans black or white choose to call him "Tata" Xhosa meaning of Father. This is the language we understand and others choose to join us in calling him "Tata" mind you he is never called father in english or anything other language is this is reserved for his people not banning others to join in calling him Tata.

He is just loved in the world over but never claumed any position in the world except willingness to die for his people and his beloved country!

LONG LIVE THE SOUTH AFRICAN ICON!!!
LONG LIVE NELSON RHOLIHLAHLA MANDELA!!!

Nelson Mandela has been called the "Father of Africa" in western media several times - and you and I know this. That's just disrespectful to the black skin, Africa and all the mighty/greats/legends who walked through that great continent. He isn't even the greatest of the post-colonial Africa.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 19, 2013
ZUBY77: Wole Soyinka is simply Jealous.
Hear me out first. We live on Earth where a lot of fields are generalized. Almost everything anyway.

Every year Fifa selects the best 11 players of the season from each position but FIFA still gives one person the BEST PLAYER FOR THE YEAR.

We understand that Soyinka is trying to differentiate between fiction and reality here but they are all part of literature.
Achebe wrote a book '' things fall apart'' and it became a hit. Although it was fiction but it represents what was happening between colonial white and Africans then.

So If foreign media and co said that ACHEBE is the father, then he is the father.

Some of you Yorubas should leave sentiments behind sometimes and face the fact.
Read the interview again.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by jadakiss213(m): 1:55pm On May 19, 2013
WS raised salient points which shld have been discussed here..Unfortunately and as usual,the Thread took a tribal dimension..I also noticed some folks here have Serious comprehension issues.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DerideGull(m): 1:58pm On May 19, 2013
texazzpete:

I thank God I am neither Igbo or Yoruba so I can make this statement without being tagged with a tribal brush.

You, my dear, are an imbecilic dolt!
You are one of the ignoramuses WS so aptly described in this interview. What does it matter if 'others' (who WS rightly calls 'misguided' or 'overcome with exuberance')called Achebe the 'father of African Literature'? The man himself never called himself that...nor did any of the major literary icons in Nigeria label him that. So what is this fascination with foisting such a title on him?

Freudian slip? YOU need to get over your jealousy and pettiness.

Nobody would ever call Elvis the 'Father of Rock and Roll'. Michael Jackson has never been called the 'father of Pop'.

What an arrant nonsense. Whether you are Edo, Esan, Urhobo or Itsekiri, you are a known tribal icon on this forum. How does being neither Igbo nor Yoruba absolve you from the image of a tribally biased goon?

Only a fool with jealousy symptoms gets twisted out of human form by simple phrase ordinary folks used to refer to individuals.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by sweetcheecks(f): 1:58pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx:

Nelson Mandela has been called the "Father of Africa" in western media several times - and you and I know this. That's just disrespectful to the black skin, Africa and all the mighty/greats/legends who walked through that great continent. He isn't even the greatest of the post-colonial Africa.

Just post one of those western media articles that calls Mandela " Father of Africa" Shym if you are not making this up. I have never heared that tittle before!

I dare you or you will be known as a lier ! sad He is always reffered to as " Father of a Nation".

This is disgraceful even if you do not like the man and no one is asking you to but do not lie!!! embarassed

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Ugom87(f): 1:59pm On May 19, 2013
Tribalism will not allow some people to see beyond their nose,Achebe's end was good people talked about him for good,WS we will see how ur later will be,jealousy
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by aribisala0(m): 1:59pm On May 19, 2013
Vicarious Laureates,lol. Well if he can' be a laureate we might as well make him "Father".
Now some clown has said Father means he same as "king" ala Michael Jackson.
I am sure Achebe would be Most embarassed by all this.
Let us go back to the beginning who was it that first used this epithet and when?

According to the Telegraph Newsaper
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/father-of-modern-african-literature-achebe-82-dies-after-short-illness-8545670.html

In 2007, he won the Man Booker International Prize, where judge Nadine Gordimer dubbed him the “father of modern African literature”. NOT Father of African Literature. This distinction is important so that ; when people see it they ask what is "Modern African Literature" and so we do not disrespect our ancestors and the great literary legacies they bequeathed us

So there we have it; no less than a laureate who should know about these things but what
exactly is "Modern African Literaure" ? This is a term that needs defining.
Nadine Gordimer is entitled to call him Father and Wole Soyinka is entitle to disagree neither of which enhances or diminishes Achebe either in stature or achievement.

The question is ; is father used in the sense of a "pioneer" or in the sense of superiority or supremacy. I think the former is more likely to be the case considering Achebe's age and role in the African Writers series.Too I do not believe the idea of superiority or supremacy is one that holds sway among producers of literature,it is just too crass.

Winning or not winning awards is not a measure of this and judgement is usually passed long after the demise of the worker.
The problem for me is it seems to be accepted that somehow producing works in European languages is necessarily a good thing or he best thing for African literature and the way to measure quality .I disagree.The best African literature necessarily must be in Hausa ,Ijaw,Swahili,Zulu etc and this brings us back to the question what is "Modern African Literature"?

Honestly in my view any person who will be a "father of African Literature" must work in African languages otherwise they become a champion of a subset of English Literature French Literature etc. In fact one may argue that there is no such thing as "African" literature but literature produced by Africans
We have enough works to scan and judge for this purpose.
As far as European Language African literature goes ,what do those screaming here know about works by Africans in French,Afrikaans and Portuguese languages?

The truth is this Achebe was a good and very influential writer let us leave it at that.Any attempt to somehow crown him "primus inter pares" or more even among his contemporaries will fail

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by meforyou1(m): 2:03pm On May 19, 2013
Wole soyinka. The only yoruba standing that has my maximum respect. Unlike "Un-asiwaju" bola ahmed tinubu that wins govership elections in court of appeal
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by speaktome(m): 2:04pm On May 19, 2013
Mtcheeeeew!
Rest in Peace Achebe

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Zet72(m): 2:05pm On May 19, 2013
gbadexy: Facts is there is rivalry between WS and achebe.
They aren't as close as he professes from his use of perhaps if achebe would come to his abeokuta den when he hosted gowon and co to the statement he credited to achebe saying WS isn't the asiwaju of literature just because he won nobel laureate in response to an unrelated political issue.
The man made good points and while I agree achebe is clannish, he may deserve the title of father of african literature. While it may seemingly appear that achebe is superior to WS, he too should take consolation as being the first black to be awarded the nobel laureate. They are both good in their genre so different title should be given to each to appease their ego just like the CAF footballer of the year and BBC equivalent to okocha or the ooni of ife and alaafin of your case.
We don't have to tribalise this and include it with the ojukwu/awolowo argument.
gbam Good point
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 19, 2013
aribisala0: Vicarious Laureates,lol. Well if he can' be a laureate we might as well make him "Father".
Now some clown has said Father means he same as "king" ala Michael Jackson.
I am sure Achebe would be Most embarassed by all this.
Let us go back to the beginning who was it that first used this epithet and when?

According to the Telegraph Newsaper
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/father-of-modern-african-literature-achebe-82-dies-after-short-illness-8545670.html

In 2007, he won the Man Booker International Prize, where judge Nadine Gordimer dubbed him the “father of modern African literature”. NOT Father of African Literature. This distinction is important so that ; when people see it they ask what is "Modern African Literature" and so we do not disrespect our ancestors and the great literary legacies they bequeathed us

So there we have it; no less than a laureate who should know about this things but what
exactly is "Modern African Literaure" ? This is a term that needs defining.
Nadine Gordimer is entitled to call him Father and Wole Soyinka is entitle to disagree neither of which enhances or diminishes Achebe either in stature or achievement.

The question is ; is father used in the sense of a "pioneer" or in the sense of superiority or supremacy. I think the former is more likely to be the case considering Achebe's age and role in the African Writers series.Too I do not believe the idea of superiority or supremacy is one that holds sway among producers of literature,it is just too crass.

Winning or not winning awards is not a measure of this and judgement is usually passed long after the demise of the worker.
The problem for me is it seems to be accepted that somehow producing works in European languages is necessarily a good thing or he best thing for African literature and the way to measure quality .I disagree.The best African literature necessarily must be in Hausa ,Ijaw,Swahili,Zulu etc and this brings us back to the question what is "Modern African Literature"?

Honestly in my view any person who will be a "father of African Literature" must work in African languages otherwise they become a champion of a subset of English Literature French Literature etc. In fact one may argue that there is no such thing as "African" literature but literature produced by Africans
We have enough works to scan and judge for this purpose.
As far as European Language African literature goes ,what do those screaming here know about works by Africans in French,Afrikaans and Portuguese languages?

The truth is this Achebe was a good and very influential writer let us leave it at that.Any attempt to somehow crown him "primus inter pares" or more even among his contemporaries will fail
CA can not be said to be the pioneer of modern literature. Where do you place D. O. Fagunwa and Amos Tutuola

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (46) (Reply)

New Look Of Lekki Roundabouts (photos,video) / Ihedioha Begins Demolition Of Monuments Built By Okorocha / Abuja Office Of The President In 1980 Used By Shehu Shagari-photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.