Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,063 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (67970 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by purpleclouds: 2:54pm On May 19, 2013
bestview:

That is the final straw that sank this envious never-do well people. grin grin

Mandela knows Achebe but he doesn't. There is no Nigerian that did not pass through Achebe works, same cannot be said of that jobless old fool.

Achebe's works broke borders, other countries of the world could see and read it. Achebe is the champion of Africa.

She's being ignorant for the sake of it. If he is a nobody why would Mandela make a statement on his passing, what's the point of "PR" for someone you claim is unknown? The lies don't even make sense anymore lol

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bestview: 2:55pm On May 19, 2013
These are only two greatest African known by the outside world for their contribution to humanity.

Chinua Achebe of Nigeria

Nelson Mandela of South Africa

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by purpleclouds: 2:58pm On May 19, 2013
bestview: These are only two greatest African known by the outside world for their contribution to humanity.

Chinua Achebe of Nigeria

Nelson Mandela of South Africa

TKO lmao. Mandela didn't know Achebe cheesy

Only PR cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by BizBooks(m): 2:58pm On May 19, 2013
"The Igbo must remember, however, that they were not militarily prepared for that war. I
told Ojukwu this, point blank, when I visited Biafra. Sam Aluko also revealed that he did. A
number of leaders outside Biafra warned the leadership of this plain fact. Bluff is no
substitute for bullets." Wole Soyinka

Maybe Soyinka does not see himself as such, but he was regarded as a supporter of Biafra
during the war and rightly so. That was why Gowon put him in prison until the war ended.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 19, 2013
Orikinla: From the comments I have read so far, I can see that many people here suffer from the Nigerian disease of hypocrisy and intellectual ignorance, because of their conceit and deceit. Miseducation is worse than no education.

Well said. It seems everything the man said in the interview went over their air heads. The only thing they all care about is the nonsensical and disrespectful title, that obviously, took Africa 200 years backwards. WS also explained why the title is disrespectful to every African - but these duffers ignored that bit, and focused solely on the most sensational aspect of the broad interview. It makes you wonder if the assertion that the average IQ of Nigerians is around 70 isn't closer to the truth, than anything else.

The Nigerian disease:

"Nigerian disease: Nigerians need to be purged of a certain kind of arrogance of expectations, of demand, of self-attribution, of a spurious sense and assertion of entitlement. It goes beyond art and literature. It covers all aspects of interaction with others. Wherever you witness a case of ‘It’s MINE, and no other’s’, ‘it’s OURS, not theirs’, at various levels of vicarious ownership, such aggressive voices, ninety percent of the time, are bound to be Nigerians. This is a syndrome I have had cause to confront defensively with hundreds of Africans and non-Africans. It is what plagues Nigeria at the moment – it’s MY/OUR turn to rule, and if I/WE cannot, we shall lay waste the terrain. Truth is, predictably, part of the collateral damage on that terrain." - Prof. Wole Soyinka
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bestview: 3:00pm On May 19, 2013
sweetcheecks:

Its admireable to see Nigerians embracing any research or maybe when its favourable to them? I am happy to hear this sometimes South Africa misses up on all of these news. My bad again.

Are you disputing that Achebe is not the African most influential celebrity? My friend google is your friend. Achebe represent the very best out of Africa. A role model for the entire African continent doubled with founder and father of the modern African literature. Its a feat no African, not to talk of Nigerian can dream of.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by sweetcheecks(f): 3:01pm On May 19, 2013
DerideGull:

I suggest you stop flaunting your crass ignorance in the public arena.

Do not do exactly what Soyinka spoke of about Nigerians. Do not push your luck. I do not have to know shiiittt about an igbo nigerian writter if his effects never touch my shores. My appolgy does not alude to my ignorance but my superiority of being able to say I am sorry when I am wrong which a light years aways from you on your kind. Back offf!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:03pm On May 19, 2013
As you yourself have observed, Chinua himself repudiated such a tag – he did study literature after all, bagged a degree in the subject. So, it is a tag of either literary ignorance or “momentary exuberance” – ala [Nadine] Gordimer – to which we are all sometimes prone. Those who seriously believe or promote this must be asked: have you the sheerest acquaintance with the literatures of other African nations, in both indigenous and adopted colonial languages? What must the francophone, lusophone, Zulu, Xhosa, Ewe etc. etc. literary scholars and consumers think of those who persist in such a historic absurdity? It's as ridiculous as calling WS father of contemporary African drama! Or Mazisi Kunene father of African epic poetry. Or Kofi Awoonor father of African poetry. Education is lacking in most of those who pontificate.

Let me just add that a number of foreign “African experts” have seized on this silliness with glee. It legitimizes their ignorance, their parlous knowledge, enables them to circumscribe, then adopt a patronizing approach to African literatures and creativity. Backed by centuries of their own recorded literary history, they assume the condescending posture of midwiving an infant entity. It is all rather depressing.

^^^^He explained why the title is disrespectful.

I bet both Naguib Mahfouz and Nadine Gordimer feel the same way.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 3:03pm On May 19, 2013
sweetcheecks:

Do not do exactly what Soyinka spoke of about Nigerians. Do not push your luck. I do not have to know shiiittt about an igbo nigerian writter if his effects never touch my shores. My appolgy does not alude to my ignorance but my superiority of being able to say I am sorry when I am wrong which a light years aways from you on your kind. Back offf!

Look another non-Nigerian *sarcasm*
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by sweetcheecks(f): 3:04pm On May 19, 2013
DerideGull:

I suggest you stop flaunting your crass ignorance in the public arena.

Do not do exactly what Soyinka spoke of about Nigerians. Do not push your luck. I do not have to know shiiittt about an igbo nigerian writter if his effects never touch my shores. My appology aludes not in any way to my ignorance but to my superiority of being able to say I am sorry when I have made in error in spelling of a man's name wrong which is a light years aways from you on your kind. Back offf!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 19, 2013
Ugom87:
I know the problem=tribalism,assuming chinua Achebe was a yoruba man it would have been widely accepted by all,,All these ones u mentioned vanished with the dimlight.
You said if CA was Yoruba his being referred to as the 'father of African literature' would have been accepted by all. Then there should be something special about the Yoruba which I want you to find out. Please, do.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DerideGull(m): 3:07pm On May 19, 2013
It is very ironic the same people who scorned at the instances of certain Africans calling Chinua Achebe the “Father of African Literature” and bitterly lamented that Europeans did not find the works by D. O. Fagunwa very appeasing are the same goons that will appear in a battle field with arrows-Nobel Laureate among archery equipment provided by the Europeans.

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 19, 2013
2 years ago the great Forbes magazine sought to find out the most powerful celebrities in Africa
Guess who came first?
You guessed right!
You might as well call him the King ofAfrican celebrities and you would be correct
Before some of you cry ,WS was 6th on the list and 6th ain't bad wink

In September, I put out a request for nominations for a list of the 40 most powerful celebrities in contemporary Africa. Within three weeks, over 7,500 entries flooded in. This is the result of your choices. The debut list of The 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa includes actors, cerebral authors, musicians, movie producers, supermodels, TV personalities and athletes, drawn from all across Africa and traverses the generational divide[size=18pt]. Don’t be surprised to meet timeless artistic greats like Nigerian novelist Chinua Achebe (ranked No. 1)[/size] and Zimbabwe’s Oliver Mtukudzi listed alongside younger up-and-comers like famed Kenyan crooner Eric Wainaina, Ivorian soccer sensation Didier Drogba (No. 3) and Nigerian screen goddess Genevieve Nnaji. Perhaps not surprisingly, the list is dominated by musicians.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/10/12/the-40-most-powerful-celebrities-in-africa/

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by CyberG: 3:08pm On May 19, 2013
eko ileee:
This is what I see after reading so many comments in this thread...

If you are around the Igbo all you hear are boasts about his real and imaginary accomplishments. He is very vainglory seeking; he is title crazy (he wants to be called Dr. Professor Chief this or
that).

In personality structure the typical Igbo has traits of paranoia, narcissism and antisocial personality. He is paranoid because aware of his lack of existential worth, and instead of accepting that reality, he masks it with pretended worth; he pretends to have fictional worth.

Have you ever seen a humble Igbo man who does not present himself as god almighty himself even though he is a starving man? If you listened to these people boast you would think that they are as
powerful as the gods are supposed to be!

http://www.igbofocus.co.uk/html/the_igbo_problem_can_be_fixed.html

Soooo true! LWTMB!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 3:08pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx:

^^^^He explained why the title is disrespectful.

I bet both Naguib Mahfouz and Nadine Gordimer feel the same way.

Nadine Gordimer gave him the title the father pf modern african literature. So how would she feel disrespected by a totle she gave him? Its clear many of you have not the slightest clue about a lot of the things you speak on.

http://m.ndtv.com/article/world/chinua-achebe-father-of-modern-african-literature-dies-at-82-345766

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 19, 2013
^^^^I told you stop quoting me time ago - sod off! undecided
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 19, 2013
1wolex85:
WS was talking about people like YOU!!! You've completely missed the point of what he was saying. How on earth can you say he was jealous because Achebe was called father of literature? Did u even notice that he belittled his nobel prize? Abeg read and understand!

Don't worry, people east of niger have comprehension problems (as far as NL has proven)
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 3:10pm On May 19, 2013
shymexx: ^^^^I told you stop quoting me time ago - sod off! undecided

Then stop displaying your ignorance grin

Gordimer upset at a title she gave Achebe? And you call yourself educated.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bestview: 3:12pm On May 19, 2013

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bestview: 3:12pm On May 19, 2013
Below is what the Nigerian Senate had to say about Achebe. Maybe this is part of the reason Soyika is hurt, frustrated and bitter filled with envy for the father of the African literature.

Sen. Chris Ngige along with 107 other Senators sponsored a motion on the 'Death of Professor Chinualumogu Albert Achebe (Ogo N'abo of Ogidi)OFR, NNMA November 16, 1930 to March 21, 2013'. The motion captured the distinguished and internationally acclaimed late writer, Chinua Achebe, who was born in Ogidi, Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

The motion was seconded by Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu who described Achebe as an ‘Eagle’, which is a rare and acclaimed bird. He applauded the late Achebe, describing him as an 'Iroko tree' and a 'Literary Giant’. Deputy Senate Leader Abdul Ningi also spoke highly of Achebe, recognising him as the first writer to shed tremendous light on Africa’s civilization outside the two major religions of Islam and Christianity.

Sen. James Manager said when Achebe died, the entire world’s media covered his death, therefore even in death Achebe still took Nigeria’s name global. He described Chinua Achebe as a detribalised man who worked with Mallam Aminu Kano to found the People’s Redemption Party.

Senate Leader Victor Ndoma-Egba said that Achebe was great as he prompted a debate on whether there could be such a discourse as African Literature. Achebe indeed showed that Africans could produce outstanding literature. Sen. Ndoma-Egba applauded Achebe’s power of imagination and yet simplicity.

Every senator who spoke had nothing but praise and admiration for the late writer. They included Ganiyu Solomon, Zainab Kure, Olusola Adeyeye and Uche Chukwumerije. The Senate agreed to send a delegation to Achebe's family and community and to name a monument after him. A minute silent was also observed in honour of him.

Also in the chambers, Sen. Ayo Akinyelure laid a ‘Report of the Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions In Respect Of A petition From INSPECTOR EMMANUEL ELDIARE, On His Wrongful Dismissal by the Nigeria Police Force’.

http://www.nassnig.org/nass/news.php?id=452

All the above highlighted are pointing at one thing- Achebe the father of modern African Literature. Soyika should deal with this bitter truth before he causes himself heart attack over nothing.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 19, 2013
Why are people ignoring the big elephant in the room? undecided

Achebe deserving the title of father of modern African literature is the not my biggest worry in that interview.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 19, 2013
babyosisi: 2 years ago the great Forbes magazine sought to find out the most powerful celebrities in Africa
Guess who came first?
You guessed right!

There's a difference between "celebrities" and "art." Stop disrespecting the man's legacy.

I bet if Forbes were to do a version about the most powerful music artists - both Prince and Esperanza Spalding wouldn't make the list. But the likes of: Rihanna, Beyonce, and Adele would top the list. However, can you compare the brilliance of both Prince and Esperanza Spalding - to the likes of Rihanna, Beyonce, and Adele? undecided

Art isn't a popularity contest. undecided

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by DerideGull(m): 3:16pm On May 19, 2013
sweetcheecks:

Do not do exactly what Soyinka spoke of about Nigerians. Do not push your luck. I do not have to know shiiittt about an igbo nigerian writter if his effects never touch my shores. My appology aludes not in any way to my ignorance but to my superiority of being able to say I am sorry when I have made in error in spelling of a man's name wrong which is a light years aways from you on your kind. Back offf!

If you think your ignorance or lack thereof is light years away from my kind, the post by “bestview” with the picture of Mandela and Achebe exchanging pleasantries does not speak good of a goon that postulated Mandela does not know Achebe.

It is wonderful humanity has means to record certain events.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ekoileee: 3:17pm On May 19, 2013
CyberG:

Soooo true! LWTMB!

This is what you hear everytime they open their mouth, but when you look under their rubbish, it's all shallow and empty, there is always nothing there....
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 19, 2013
When you are in a hole,stop digging

Nobody can be called the father of literature because literature has many genres,I show them where people were called the father of American and English literature ,they change gear
Well Chinua rejected the name they say,well duh!,even WS in his NObel speech acknowledged others before him and said that others blazed the trail ,does that mean he didn't deserve the prize?
Then they say he was not the first African author so shouldn't be the father,duh!!!
Do you folks even understand what it means?
They they change gears once again,Chinua was a story teller,he wrote fiction
There they go again,Mark twain the other father also wrote fiction and most celebrated authors with the most readership are fiction writers
I also show them Chinuas non fictional writings rather than hide in shame
They resort to name callings
The tried and true method when intelligence fails them
Hahahahahaha

Going round in circles and tripping over your tails

[size=18pt]The most popular and most published non fiction is perhaps the Bible followed by the dictionary grin grin grin grin grin
[/size]

WS goofed majorly
Yes he did

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by bestview: 3:20pm On May 19, 2013
Crayola1:

Nadine Gordimer gave him the title the father pf modern african literature. So how would she feel disrespected by a totle she gave him? Its clear many of you have not the slightest clue about a lot of the things you speak on.

http://m.ndtv.com/article/world/chinua-achebe-father-of-modern-african-literature-dies-at-82-345766

They will choose to ignore this decent woman that first called Achebe the Father of African Literature, rather they will like us to listen to that old fool that brought cultism into our tertiary institutions today. What a people without a hero. We in the East has hero for you people to look up to, because we have world acclaimed hero.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (46) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Was Arrested In Kenya - Brother, Emmanuel Kanu / Anambra Governorship Election 2021 Results Updates From Polling Units (Pictures) / PDP Governors Visit Goodluck Jonathan At His Otuoke Residence ...photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.