Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,537 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion (13958 Views)

How To Activate And Use Automatic Posts For Blogger And Tumblr / Over 72,000 Tumblr Posts Migrate To Wordpress After Yahoo Acquisition. / Webmaster Tool (fantastic Way To Link Wordpress And Tumblr Blogs) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by tellwisdom: 7:53pm On May 20, 2013
EH?? shocked Which yahoo boy buy tumblr for $1.1billion naira? sad
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by siddiq202(m): 7:53pm On May 20, 2013
Black Peni5: When is Seun going to sell Nairaland?

The same question I open the thread to ask grin grin
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by Arabanco87: 7:55pm On May 20, 2013
Tumblr may survive if Yahoo! resists the temptation to 'child proof' it, treating it's users like helpless little children one rude word away from a lifetime of therapy
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by Walexy96: 7:55pm On May 20, 2013
Chai, I wish Mr. Seun same kind of success but if nairaland was sold it go pain me die.
OWO TABUA.
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by Leadn(m): 8:03pm On May 20, 2013
Seun: I guess they could generate a lot of money by placing their ads on tumblr blogs, but their ad tech isn't very good; they would be better off putting google ads on those tumblr blogs.

My thoughts exactly! Yahoo CEO Marissa must be high!
$13million in revenues?! Thats so freaking poor!!!
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by Samelfisha(m): 8:06pm On May 20, 2013
Hw will i make ma own website oo i dy shout am nw ooo
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by a1solution: 8:18pm On May 20, 2013
Nairaland is trying as well but need to add social network features and some other things to remain in the game or becomes old school soon. Ask me why
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by mrperfect(m): 8:20pm On May 20, 2013
What I like about these guys is investors always willing to invest millions of dollars even when all these companies aren't making profit.
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 20, 2013
Seun: I guess they could generate a lot of money by placing their ads on tumblr blogs, but their ad tech isn't very good; they would be better off putting google ads on those tumblr blogs.

No wonder it took you years to come up with the right way to monetize nairaland... In the world of business and investment, you have to think outside the box,and look at what's going to be trending in the next two or three decades, that's what you invest into. Social networking is the talk of the century and yahoo needs something like that to get back on their feet.
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by 50calibre(m): 8:24pm On May 20, 2013
Leadn:

When a company as big as yahoo takes decisions like this, it's most likely they know what they are doing. Do you know the protocol and team of experts that decides things like this?

This must be a calculated gamble.

1 Like

Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by Legalplayerz: 8:25pm On May 20, 2013
She's gonna get fired soon..... WATCH THIS SPACE.
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by FILEBE(m): 8:32pm On May 20, 2013
pleae .. abeg what is Tumbler tumblr? i actually havent taken my time to know what it is, all i know is that it is always attached the name of some music i download. Any one to educate me?
pls dont reply me by telling me to google it o! i go sepe[size=8pt][/size] for u ni sharp sharp!
na person fone i borrow dey browse.
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by FILEBE(m): 8:33pm On May 20, 2013
pleae .. abeg what is Tumbler tumblr? i actually havent taken my time to know what it is, all i know is that it is always attached the name of some music i download. Any one to educate me?
pls dont reply me by telling me to google it o! i go sepe[size=8pt][/size] for u ni sharp sharp!
na person fone i borrow dey browse. angry
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by alumnidoggz(m): 8:41pm On May 20, 2013
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by ibietela2(m): 8:42pm On May 20, 2013
Hmmmm.... Who knows if they want to turn it to a blogging platform
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by straneur(m): 8:44pm On May 20, 2013

100 million users and 90 million post per day and yet you think Marrisa Mayer doesn't know what she is doing? She explained that the idea is to strengthen their ad tech. I agree its over price but the possibility is endless.
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by Seun(m): 8:44pm On May 20, 2013
I don't like Mrs Mayer's recent decisions because they seem to be mistakes:
1) banning telecommuting.
2) buying that boy's worthless but hyped company.
3) buying tumblr for 1.1 billion dollars.
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by BodyKiss(m): 8:48pm On May 20, 2013
fckyourman: Yahoo wasting funds, Tumblr is not profitable.

Says the business tycoon.
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by sportfeva(m): 8:53pm On May 20, 2013
Finally, yahoo has bought her own photo album.
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by straneur(m): 8:54pm On May 20, 2013
50calibre:

When a company as big as yahoo takes decisions like this, it's most likely they know what they are doing. Do you know the protocol and team of experts that decides things like this?

This must be a calculated gamble.

God bless you, you are a smart person. I don't know why people think organization like yahoo would just buy a company without critical analysis. It is a calculated risk, people said the same thing when google bought youtube where Mayer was working before but who is talking now.

1 Like

Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by Seun(m): 8:55pm On May 20, 2013
straneur: 100 million users and 90 million post per day and yet you think Marrisa Mayer doesn't know what she is doing? She explained that the idea is to strengthen their ad tech. I agree its over price but the possibility is endless.
Hmm. I don't doubt that she knows exactly what she is doing (trying to make Yahoo cool) but I doubt that its the best way that they could have spent 1.1bn dollars to grow their business. I doubt that this acquisition will generate more than 1.1bn in value on the long run.
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by damola311: 8:56pm On May 20, 2013
yuzedo: Time to bought narialand befor dis yahoo bois make move and bought it first. MOD seun, bro, I hav $1.5b (zimbabwe) dollas. So wuz yo acaant numba? angry

sorry,are you working in the military?.....i fear that gun(time to bought narialand)........and i guess that $1.5b will be equal to 200,000 naira(just saying).
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by Adex097: 9:01pm On May 20, 2013
Please o..how much is NL?
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by Nobody: 9:01pm On May 20, 2013
abeg wetin dem dey do for that tumblr?
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by Seun(m): 9:02pm On May 20, 2013
straneur: God bless you, you are a smart person. I don't know why people think organization like yahoo would just buy a company without critical analysis. It is a calculated risk, people said the same thing when google bought youtube where Mayer was working before but who is talking now.
If the oga on top of any organisation really wants to buy a company, her minions will find ways to justify the acquisition. This does not imply that it's the best use of the organisation's funds. I can't claim to know better than Marissa Mayer, of course. She may be right. But if I owned yahoo shares I would feel that the value of my shares have been reduced proportionately.
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by dontlie: 9:06pm On May 20, 2013
I think say na only me see yahoo boys oh , that was what make me to open the thread cos I just said it in my heart that that yahoo boy done hammer money. I be na my eyes nor see am well ?
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by straneur(m): 9:09pm On May 20, 2013
Seun:
Hmm. I don't doubt that she knows exactly what she is doing (trying to make Yahoo cool) but I doubt that its the best way that they could have spent 1.1bn dollars to grow their business. I doubt that this acquisition will generate more than 1.1bn in value on the long run.

This is her financial projection for tumblr this year: The company's revenue target for this year is $100 million. If Tumblr generates anywhere near that much in revenue this year, the price for the deal will start to look a lot more reasonable. And if Tumblr can do $75 million to $100 million this year, it can probably do $200 million next year. At that point, you're talking about 5x to 6x times revenue for a company that will likely be able to generate very high profit margins, because it has no content costs. That growth would make $1.1 billion a perfectly reasonable price, even if Yahoo gets no other benefits from the combination.

Yahoo is not buying Tumblr's past financial performance. It is buying Tumblr's audience, demographic, and social and mobile expertise. It is buying a company that has the potential to make Yahoo a growing, relevant Internet behemoth again.

1 Like

Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by spikesC(m): 9:10pm On May 20, 2013
You guys are not getting the bigger picture. Yahoo didn't buy Tumblr for tumblr, Yahoo is buying young idealists/enterprises.

If you check there recent buys, you'll find out they're all owned by youngsters.
And part of the deals is to keep them as employees.
They're actually building a very big network out of this. This campaign has something else under the sheets

1 Like

Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by tonididdy(m): 9:18pm On May 20, 2013
alpha conde: I thought I saw yahoo boys
i swear i saw that too and when i took a second glance it had changed to this topic at hand
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by denzel2009: 9:22pm On May 20, 2013

who go buy tonto.com
Re: Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion by tonididdy(m): 9:26pm On May 20, 2013
Leadn:

Leadn:

see your mouth like say 13million dolls na beans.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help I Can't Log Into Yahoomail For Days Now :( / How To Get Approval From Google Adsense In Few Minutes. / Everyone Want A Site Like Jumia: Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.