Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

To Build Or Invest N500,000 - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / To Build Or Invest N500,000 (12409 Views)

Should I Buy A Land Or Invest In Business?... Your Advice Counts / Advice Me: To Build Or To Invest? / To Build Or Invest 500,000 Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Build Or Invest N500,000 by omopretty1: 1:44pm On May 21, 2013
Please i would like the experts in the house to advice me, i currently have the sum of N500k in my account, i am contemplating whether to invest the money in bonds/treasury bills or continue work on my building site. The building as being at the window level since 2010, it is located in one of the towns close to Ijoko in Ogun state. I will like to hear Nairalanders opinion. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by onatisi(m): 2:14pm On May 21, 2013
i will suggest u divide the money into half ,use the first half on ur building projecy and invest the remaining half on things that can be bringing in daily project ,use the daily profit to complete the project
try and finish the housebut in the mean time start looking for a land or near completedbuilding to buy

4 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by bigx(m): 8:59am On May 22, 2013
Is the house for letting out?
Since you've secured the land already, there is no point,

500k wont complete the house but it would give you roughly 10% annual yield which is roughly the same you should get from renting the house.
The investment options you indicated preserve ur capital so you can leave the money invested, when you have enough, withdraw, complete your house and rent it out,

That way you dont have idle capital stuck as wood/roofing sheets on a building not ready to generate income.

8 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by omopretty1: 3:44pm On May 22, 2013
bigx: Is the house for letting out?
Since you've secured the land already, there is no point,

500k wont complete the house but it would give you roughly 10% annual yield which is roughly the same you should get from renting the house.
The investment options you indicated preserve ur capital so you can leave the money invested, when you have enough, withdraw, complete your house and rent it out,

That way you dont have idle capital stuck as wood/roofing sheets on a building not ready to generate income.

Thanks alot bigx, the house is meant to be residential if i'm to rent it out the rent will be small because of its location.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by bigx(m): 4:47pm On May 22, 2013
omopretty1:

Thanks alot bigx, the house is meant to be residential if i'm to rent it out the rent will be small because of its location.

Then in that case invest till you've saved enough to raise it to habitable level.

3 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by dulphines: 5:03pm On May 23, 2013
Continue buillding because the building itself is a sure investment that appreciates. You may sell the building whenever you are pressed for cash to do something lucrative! Goodluck!

5 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by eldagaius(m): 5:04pm On May 23, 2013
Since the house is residential, and not for commercial purpose, I will advise you invest the money. Proceeds from d investment will be used to finish the house. Invest wisely though.

2 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:07pm On May 23, 2013
give it to me. i will invest for you.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by nikkypearl(f): 5:07pm On May 23, 2013
Invest and when u av d double folds of yo investment u can continue wit d building construction!best of luck!

2 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by benjaminedicha: 5:07pm On May 23, 2013
Invest the money into bussiness that will yeild returns more than treasury bills or bonds.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Policewoman(f): 5:08pm On May 23, 2013
omopretty1: Please i would like the experts in the house to advice me, i currently have the sum of N500k in my account, i am contemplating whether to invest the money in bonds/treasury bills or continue work on my building site. The building as being at the window level since 2010, it is located in one of the towns close to Ijoko in Ogun state. I will like to hear Nairalanders opinion. Thanks.
Bros continue with your building. Landed properties always appreciate, but stock values can depreciate.

3 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Nobody: 5:10pm On May 23, 2013
Investing in asset is a prefered choice anytime. First I will need clearification on what the capacity of the building u mention is. If it is a small building like lock up shops or even a two bedroom appartment, I will advise u continue your building project and rent it. For sure, the 500K may not complete d project like painting n other little finishing touches but not to worry much, u may rent n complete project at the payment from your client.

2 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by martyns303(m): 5:10pm On May 23, 2013
omopretty1: Please i would like the experts in the house to advice me, i currently have the sum of N500k in my account, i am contemplating whether to invest the money in bonds/treasury bills or continue work on my building site. The building as being at the window level since 2010, it is located in one of the towns close to Ijoko in Ogun state. I will like to hear Nairalanders opinion. Thanks.
My brother u are heaven sent to open this topic, cos I also need advice. I also have that kind of cash just sitting in my account. Only that me am not building a house or have any current need of the money, worst part is that I keep pinching little out of it to do irrelevant things just cos the cash is just sitting there, its like its begging me to spend it. Please how's this ur investment plan? Its better I put it somewhere, anybody with a good investment plan should help, I don't want to do any fish farming or anything like that, cos I've been reading on NL and all I see is stuffs like that, I already have a lot doing. I just need to put the money in a bank or something like that and let it yeild b4 I finish eating it.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by fredust(m): 5:14pm On May 23, 2013
Please my brother, if u think u want to save the complete money to finish your house, you must be joking. invest all the moni n the building project. before you know it, the building will be completed.

3 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by abatajjvii: 5:16pm On May 23, 2013
Invest and build

1 Like

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by onatisi(m): 5:19pm On May 23, 2013
martyns303:
My brother u are heaven sent to open this topic, cos I also need advice. I also have that kind of cash just sitting in my account. Only that me am not building a house or have any current need of the money, worst part is that I keep pinching little out of it to do irrelevant things just cos the cash is just sitting there, its like its begging me to spend it. Please how's this ur investment plan? Its better I put it somewhere, anybody with a good investment plan should help, I don't want to do any fish farming or anything like that, cos I've been reading on NL and all I see is stuffs like that, I already have a lot doing. I just need to put the money in a bank or something like that and let it yeild b4 I finish eating it.
let me tell u the secret of been rich .never stop investing .if u hve enough cash nd it is enough to buy a piece of land pls buy it .if it is enough to complete a house do it .but the logic#and tricky part is u must have a steady source of upkeep income apart from ur investment.this will make u not touch ur landed properties .always be on the lookout for cheap lands never mind their location the re will still develop.i may not have expressed myself properly but i am talking to u fromprofessional expreince .

3 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Benaig(m): 5:20pm On May 23, 2013
I guess you are currently paying rent. You can complete the building as far as the funds can go and move in. You have not seen people staying in partially completed buildings before in Lagos/Ogun?
If you are not sure the investment is GUARANTEED not to fail, you are on your own.

1 Like

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by coldgate(f): 5:30pm On May 23, 2013
Policewoman: Bros continue with your building. Landed properties always appreciate, but stock values can depreciate.

Madam,
Correct. As at today, N500,000 worth of treasury Bill for 91 days is only 12,000. That is for three months o.Do your research, N500,000 is a lot of money. If you buy goods to sell (bring them out on your street)every evening, you might make much more than twelve thousand naira in just one month. Do the maths, which do you prefer? Money from this Business could in turn be used for Building this home.

4 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by truelovecom: 5:31pm On May 23, 2013
@omoprety, just buy a plot of land with the money, after one year sell the land and buy two plots of land, then after a year again sell the two plots. share the money in 2parts , use one part and complete your building. use the ramaining part to buy land and repeat the same procoss

2 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by onatisi(m): 5:36pm On May 23, 2013
@op,do u have a regular salary job or u are independent?

1 Like

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Mcleo007(m): 5:48pm On May 23, 2013
SUCH A DILEMMA! @OP, WISH YOU THE BEST AS YOU MAKE YOUR DECISION.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by yuzedo: 5:51pm On May 23, 2013
coldgate:

Madam,
Correct. As at today, N500,000 worth of treasury Bill for 91 days is only 12,000. That is for three months o.Do your research, N500,000 is a lot of money. If you buy goods to sell (bring them out on your street)every evening, you might make much more than twelve thousand naira in just one month. Do the maths, which do you prefer? Money from this Business could in turn be used for Building this home.
Pardin? undecided
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Reachyrich(f): 5:54pm On May 23, 2013
Use it to build ur house @ least u cant spend all d money on d building,so d remaining amt will b on d investment.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by pweetimarlibra: 6:01pm On May 23, 2013
If u live in a rented apartment and have a steady income I will suggest u finish a part of the building and move in first,obviously that money won't be enuf to complete the whole building process so do half and move in then invest the remaining money.contrary to dat u cld also complete a part of the house wit half of the money if u are nt living in a rented apartment,invest the remainin half and rent out the completed part use the money u got from the rented part to begin work on the remaining part of the house.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by sexy74(m): 6:04pm On May 23, 2013
Poster
Invest the money in building your house, because it appreciate over time when compared to investement in bonds and shares which are indirectly eaten up by time value of money.
Meaning the money invested in shares might show increase but the purchasing value declines.
As per the building(land) the investment value increases with time and does not depreciate much in value except there is a physcial damage to it.

1 Like

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by alphaconde(m): 6:07pm On May 23, 2013
I was in this situation few months back, I just used d money to buy a plot of land where value is appreciating, now since am not in a rush to build the house I have decided that whenever I sell d land I would put the entire money into the building project. So everyday the land appreciates the progress of my unbuilt house go up. So decide.

1 Like

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by funola: 6:26pm On May 23, 2013
Where do u stay presently?do u pay rent presently?,Is your work place far from your building project?,those re the questions you should ask yourself before investing in treasury bill :|
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Nobody: 6:32pm On May 23, 2013
invest the cash,if you ain't employed,
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by gen2briz(m): 6:46pm On May 23, 2013
truelove.com:
@omoprety, just buy a plot of land with the money, after one year sell the land and buy two plots of land, then after a year again sell the two plots. share the money in 2parts , use one part and complete your building. use the ramaining part to buy land and repeat the same procoss

This is the best investment you can do since you're not in haste to complete the building

1 Like

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by effisyman: 6:50pm On May 23, 2013
Anybody that come to NL to seek for advice will get confuse the more.

If you cannot take decisions yourself and accept the result, then you are still tied to mama's apron!
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Jcob(m): 7:00pm On May 23, 2013
There are houses and there are houses.

2 factors to be considered:

A) What's the size of the building? What's the estimated amount to make it habitable? When do you intend to start living there?

B) Aside from the N500k, do you think you can still raise more money to eat and do oher stuffs?

My advice, N500k won't finish a standard building but it can give you a place to put your head. Spend like N350k to to finish just a room out of the building (roofing, toilet and plastering). Move into the one room.

Use the remaining N150k to invest. ROI is very small nowadays except you are into product retailing.

Whatever extra cash you get from the 150k and other earnings can be gradually used to finish the building.

It's a win win situation.

By the way, remember to pay your tithe as God can double the N500k before u finally settle down with a decision.

Ciao!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria MMM Is At The Verge Of Packing Up / Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery / Make Your First Million Naira In 80days With Watermelon Farm Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.