Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,707 members, 7,831,212 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

To Build Or Invest N500,000 - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / To Build Or Invest N500,000 (12411 Views)

Should I Buy A Land Or Invest In Business?... Your Advice Counts / Advice Me: To Build Or To Invest? / To Build Or Invest 500,000 Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 23, 2013
Is bond/treasury bill the best source of investment? Dont u think of other investment oppotunities like entertainment biz (sponsoring a movie production) that can give u appreciation returns in matter of months?

Anyways, my advice is for u to invest the money and invest it wisely and when gathered more later, u can continue ur building project.

Send me mail at dominionroseproductions@gmail.com if u need more clarification on the movie sponsorship.

Cheers!
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by onatisi(m): 7:00pm On May 23, 2013
op ,if u dont have a job, get a salary job first,
divide the money into half
use one half on the building
use the remain g to buy and sell
use the proceed to fund ur building while u use ur salary to survive
i am out of here
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by ibedun: 7:16pm On May 23, 2013
Stay away from girls and Pastors and don't be paying no effing tithe - else you will be building pastor's mansion.

4 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by bigx(m): 7:17pm On May 23, 2013
In this case, the OP wants to keep the money securely that's why I suggested investing in Bonds,

There are other investments that would bring larger results ( I am a business person and I know those things) but the higher the return, the higher the risk,

Thats why I wont advise buying and selling (what if you buy what people dont want or you sell and People decide to owe? Youve lost your capital), she said already that the house isnt for investment purposes, the land has been purchased with a structure on it so its somewhat more secured, and its in a remote area with Poor rental value.
So there really is no rush completing it now.

The land would always appreciate house or not,

Money in the bank would always be hammered by inflation and is open to temptation of "pinching",

Get your money yielding above bank interest rates, when you are ready, complete your house.

The only deviation here is if you are renting currently and need to avoid landlord issues urgently then you can put it into your building.

Take advice from those who've been there, done that.

Nairaland front page is misleading secondary school students might be advising you,

You never know

2 Likes

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Exponental(m): 7:20pm On May 23, 2013
It depends on ur income, source of imcome, type of structure u are erecting n estimate cost of completion.
If u are still a tenant, face ur house but if nt having accomodation issue......... Invest wisely!
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Nextworldnx(m): 7:27pm On May 23, 2013
martyns303:
My brother u are heaven sent to open this topic, cos I also need advice. I also have that kind of cash just sitting in my account. Only that me am not building a house or have any current need of the money, worst part is that I keep pinching little out of it to do irrelevant things just cos the cash is just sitting there, its like its begging me to spend it. Please how's this ur investment plan? Its better I put it somewhere, anybody with a good investment plan should help, I don't want to do any fish farming or anything like that, cos I've been reading on NL and all I see is stuffs like that, I already have a lot doing. I just need to put the money in a bank or something like that and let it yeild b4 I finish eating it.

Can we work on a business propect together?!!!..
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by skyp(m): 8:00pm On May 23, 2013
benjamin edicha: Invest the money into bussiness that will yeild returns more than treasury bills or bonds.

what business will you advice him to do that is much more better than wht he indicated
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by everyday: 8:13pm On May 23, 2013
I will advice you to put in your house.business in Nigeria business in Nigeria always flop.you will still survive anyway

1 Like

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by gbokukueba(m): 8:29pm On May 23, 2013
Jcob: There are houses and there are houses.

2 factors to be considered:

A) What's the size of the building? What's the estimated amount to make it habitable? When do you intend to start living there?

B) Aside from the N500k, do you think you can still raise more money to eat and do oher stuffs?

My advice, N500k won't finish a standard building but it can give you a place to put your head. Spend like N350k to to finish just a room out of the building (roofing, toilet and plastering). Move into the one room.

Use the remaining N150k to invest. ROI is very small nowadays except you are into product retailing.

Whatever extra cash you get from the 150k and other earnings can be gradually used to finish the building.

It's a win win situation.

By the way, remember to pay your tithe as God can double the N500k before u finally settle down with a decision.

Ciao!

Nigerians sha... short cut for everything... to live in an uncomplete building after they will blame governement for high increase of collapse building.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by ibkgab001: 8:52pm On May 23, 2013
INVESTMENT click like If you are in support!!!

1 Like

Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by tonididdy(m): 8:56pm On May 23, 2013
@OP if you're a salary earner,FORGET about investment... i advice you complete your building.maybe in ogun state building a house is expensive unlike here in benin where u can buy and build a 2BD flat with just 3M*depending on location here tho*
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Jarus(m): 9:04pm On May 23, 2013
How often do you get similar sum? Constant? Occasional?

If constant, put in the house.
If occasional, invest.

By constant, I mean you may have similar amount in say 3 months.

Got a similar project and I spend only my lumpsum income on it, regular income used on other things: https://www.nairaland.com/784501/building-house-kwara-state-journal
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by valdubem(m): 9:13pm On May 23, 2013
My oga (jaru$), I hail oo!
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Nobody: 10:13pm On May 23, 2013
how did u gatz d moni bro? ssssshhh. i wont tell anyone.

if you are a salary earner i will advice u to invest d money in ur house . 500k value of materials presently will likly double in say 2 yrs time.

if u are not a fixed income earner, you can use part of d moni to finish 2 rooms. one room for living and the other u can convert to a stall/shop. then look around and conduct a small feasibility study as to wot u can start trading on.
best luck

ehennn so im listenin
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by akonucheinfo(m): 10:36pm On May 23, 2013
onatisi: i will suggest u divide the money into half ,use the first half on ur building projecy and invest the remaining half on things that can be bringing in daily project ,use the daily profit to complete the project
try and finish the housebut in the mean time start looking for a land or near completedbuilding to buy

U suggest he devide N500k First u should ask will total amount even raise the house complete Put the other half for business that will bring daily money,what business actually ?. For the meantime he should start looking for land or uncompleted building to buy? At what cost Are u saying or suggesting self ?.
Do u ve any idea of house build and cost? Pls suggest with facts ok
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by onatisi(m): 10:51pm On May 23, 2013
akonucheinfo:

U suggest he devide N500k First u should ask will total amount even raise the house complete Put the other half for business that will bring daily money,what business actually ?. For the meantime he should start looking for land or uncompleted building to buy? At what cost Are u saying or suggesting self ?.
Do u ve any idea of house build and cost? Pls suggest with facts ok
guy this is my job and this is what i do for a living ,it is either he takes my advise or not.if he breaks the money into and he uses half on it ,it wont do much buy remember the house is now at superstructure level ,alll he needs no is cement sand and blocks .that was why i lept asking him is he a salary earner or not.many people that built and that are building jave not even seen 500k whole but yet they achieved their goal .this op is totally confused y the time he realises it the money ill remain 300k
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by webizone(m): 7:17am On May 24, 2013
Policewoman: Bros continue with your building. Landed properties always appreciate, but stock values can depreciate.

When stocks fall, bonds tend to rise.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Kokofi(m): 7:21am On May 24, 2013
martyns303:
My brother u are heaven sent to open this topic, cos I also need advice. I also have that kind of cash just sitting in my account. Only that me am not building a house or have any current need of the money, worst part is that I keep pinching little out of it to do irrelevant things just cos the cash is just sitting there, its like its begging me to spend it. Please how's this ur investment plan? Its better I put it somewhere, anybody with a good investment plan should help, I don't want to do any fish farming or anything like that, cos I've been reading on NL and all I see is stuffs like that, I already have a lot doing. I just need to put the money in a bank or something like that and let it yeild b4 I finish eating it.

Invest the money in real estate & you can be sure of a life time investment & stream of income. Real estate investment in Nigeria is a particular sector that can never experience a dwindling fortune in the next 50yrs unlike what we have in the capital & financial market that's volatile to external shocks.

Housing deficit in Nigeria is estimated to be about 17million & this can only be bridged if Nigeria builds about 1000units of house every day for about 50yrs assuming population remains constant; Which we all know is practically impossible. Besides, the current percentage of home owners in nigeria is estimated to be about 10% compared to 92% in Singapore & 69% in the USA, so any investment in this sector is indeed a lifetime opportunity of securing your future.

The commodity market is also very lucrative but requires alot of money to venture into it because it's capital intensive & mostly affordable for the affluent & echelon of the society.

Real estate remains the sure, secure & affordable kind of investment for the middle & low income earners. If you've got any idle fund in the coffer of a bank using your money to give out loans to customers after charging them interest rate of about 23% & you get a 0.025% for savings, why wouldn't you take the bold step today to acquire a land with that fund & watch what happens in about 2 to 3yrs time. Contact me for more info on real estate investment.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by coputa(m): 9:15am On May 24, 2013
Do you think the money will be able to complete the house,.do you still have a good source of income,if your answer is yes,then build the house,if not invest the money,go into transport business..that money can buy a relatively good bus that can be giving you up to #10,000 naira daily,and in six months you will be able to acquire another bus,i believe with this you will be able to complete your house while growing your investment..
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by omopretty1: 12:18pm On May 24, 2013
benjamin edicha: Invest the money into bussiness that will yeild returns more than treasury bills or bonds.

What type of business do u suggest as alternatives to bonds/treasury bills?
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by omopretty1: 12:24pm On May 24, 2013
dvdon: Investing in asset is a prefered choice anytime. First I will need clearification on what the capacity of the building u mention is. If it is a small building like lock up shops or even a two bedroom appartment, I will advise u continue your building project and rent it. For sure, the 500K may not complete d project like painting n other little finishing touches but not to worry much, u may rent n complete project at the payment from your client.

It's a 3 bedroom bungalow on a plot of land, renting it wouldn't be viable because of the location.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by omopretty1: 1:19pm On May 24, 2013
bigx: In this case, the OP wants to keep the money securely that's why I suggested investing in Bonds,

There are other investments that would bring larger results ( I am a business person and I know those things) but the higher the return, the higher the risk,

Thats why I wont advise buying and selling (what if you buy what people dont want or you sell and People decide to owe? Youve lost your capital), she said already that the house isnt for investment purposes, the land has been purchased with a structure on it so its somewhat more secured, and its in a remote area with Poor rental value.
So there really is no rush completing it now.

The land would always appreciate house or not,

Money in the bank would always be hammered by inflation and is open to temptation of "pinching",

Get your money yielding above bank interest rates, when you are ready, complete your house.

The only deviation here is if you are renting currently and need to avoid landlord issues urgently then you can put it into your building.

Take advice from those who've been there, done that.

Nairaland front page is misleading secondary school students might be advising you,

You never know

Bigx pls what other investments can bring higher yield? I'm not good at buying & selling so that idea is out.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by bigx(m): 1:51pm On May 24, 2013
omopretty1:

Bigx pls what other investments can bring higher yield? I'm not good at buying & selling so that idea is out.

The higher yields you go for, the more risk you have of loosing your entire capital.
Businesses abound everywhere but there are different businesses for different competencies/temperaments, I might suggest what would not work for you and the aim here is getting the most out of the money you have in the bank. Apart from that I dont go into businesses I cant understand so telling you to invest in something now would be probably self-serving to me or misleading you.

Just invest it in treasury bills or bonds first, the income is small but its better than the 2% from Banks and your initial capital is secured.

If you want to invest in anything riskier,

Please put the money in your Building project, my 2 cents
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by omopretty1: 2:02pm On May 24, 2013
bigx:

The higher yields you go for, the more risk you have of loosing your entire capital.
Businesses abound everywhere but there are different businesses for different competencies/temperaments, I might suggest what would not work for you and the aim here is getting the most out of the money you have in the bank. Apart from that I dont go into businesses I cant understand so telling you to invest in something now would be probably self-serving to me or misleading you.

Just invest it in treasury bills or bonds first, the income is small but its better than the 2% from Banks and your initial capital is secured.

If you want to invest in anything riskier,

Please put the money in your Building project, my 2 cents

Thanks bigx, i wll stick with the treasury bills / bonds.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Skynet247(m): 2:47pm On May 24, 2013
bigx: Is the house for letting out?
Since you've secured the land already, there is no point,

500k wont complete the house but it would give you roughly 10% annual yield which is roughly the same you should get from renting the house.
The investment options you indicated preserve ur capital so you can leave the money invested, when you have enough, withdraw, complete your house and rent it out,

That way you dont have idle capital stuck as wood/roofing sheets on a building not ready to generate income.
end of discussion
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by akonucheinfo(m): 11:55pm On May 24, 2013
Kokofi:

Invest the money in real estate & you can be sure of a life time investment & stream of income. Real estate investment in Nigeria is a particular sector that can never experience a dwindling fortune in the next 50yrs unlike what we have in the capital & financial market that's volatile to external shocks.

Housing deficit in Nigeria is estimated to be about 17million & this can only be bridged if Nigeria builds about 1000units of house every day for about 50yrs assuming population remains constant; Which we all know is practically impossible. Besides, the current percentage of home owners in nigeria is estimated to be about 10% compared to 92% in Singapore & 69% in the USA, so any investment in this sector is indeed a lifetime opportunity of securing your future.

The commodity market is also very lucrative but requires alot of money to venture into it because it's capital intensive & mostly affordable for the affluent & echelon of the society.

Real estate remains the sure, secure & affordable kind of investment for the middle & low income earners. If you've got any idle fund in the coffer of a bank using your money to give out loans to customers after charging them interest rate of about 23% & you get a 0.025% for savings, why wouldn't you take the bold step today to acquire a land with that fund & watch what happens in about 2 to 3yrs time. Contact me for more info on real estate investment.

Bros all this grammer for N500k? Can I buy a land,build and live it with N500 ?
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by dan55: 3:10am On May 25, 2013
gosh
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by Kokofi(m): 2:32pm On May 26, 2013
akonucheinfo:

Bros all this grammer for N500k? Can I buy a land,build and live it with N500 ?
Lolz!! No bro! Not at all. If you go through the last paragraph of my previous comment very well, i said you can acquire a piece of land today (it could be half or full plot) & resell later in about 2 to 3yrs time. Pls don't go buy a land from 'omonile' & wait for that long if not na sorry be your name. But you can buy from a real estate company that carries out legitimate business activity & duly registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission. They could give you about the same space of time to develop or resell your land as the case may be. But know for sure that you'll resell that piece of land more than 300% of how much you bought it. Speculators in this sector of the economy could attest to what i am saying.
Re: To Build Or Invest N500,000 by gentlegiant: 5:30pm On Jun 25, 2013
Investing 500k can be stressful cos u have to start small.
Having 500k and thinking of finishing a building at lintel level can be pocket-drying cos u wont finish it and u wont have a revolving income chanel!
biz like buying online and selling,recharge card printing and etc,will be a start point. cheers!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Here Uses Binance? / Nigeria MMM Is At The Verge Of Packing Up / Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.