Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,260 members, 7,822,316 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim (20985 Views)

Mexico's Carlos Slim Reclaims World's Richest Man Title From Bill Gates / Mexican, Carlos Slim, Is World's Richest Man With $67 Billion / Carlos Slim: Second World Richest Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 23, 2013
Bill Gates is once again the world’s richest person, thanks in large part to a slide over the past few days in the price of Mexican stocks. Gates bumps Mexican telecom mogul Carlos Slim from his perch as world’s richest, a post Slim has held for the past four years.

The swap happened at the end of the trading day on Monday, after America Movil shares dropped 0.24% from Friday’s closing price. That tiny shift–one quarter of one percent–dragged the biggest part of Slim’s fortune down by $82.7 million. Meanwhile, Microsoft shares rose 0.6%–yes, six tenths of one percent–from Friday’s closing price to Monday’s close, lifting this portion of Gates’ fortune by $88.4 million. With other holdings accounted for, Gates took the lead by just a hair, in billionaire terms: $140 million. Gates finished Monday’s trading with a fortune that Forbes estimates at $70 billion vs. Slim with $69.86 billion.

Slim’s fall from the top continued on Tuesday, when shares of America Movil sank another 1.55% by day’s end, dragging that piece of Slim’s fortune down by $529 million. The price of Microsoft dipped only slightly in Tuesday’s trading, 0.6%. That sent Gates’ stake in Microsoft down by $96.8 million. All in all, the gap between the billionaires’ fortunes widened to $504 million- real money for most of us, but not much to these two. Gates ended the day with a fortune we estimate at $69.9 billion vs. Slim with $69.4 billion.

The gap between their net worths continued to grow on Wednesday, to $624 million. Gates ended Wednesday’s trading day with a $69.8 billion fortune, Slim with a net worth of $69.1 billion.

For the 2013 World’s Billionaires List, Slim took the top spot with a net worth of $73 billion, while Gates came in at second richest with a net worth estimated at $67 billion.It isn’t just Slim’s America Movil that has been dropping lately. Shares in five companies in which he holds major stakes– among them Grupo Carso S.A.B. de C.V., Grupo Financiero Inbursa, Minera Frisco , Impulsora del Desarrollo y el Empleo, and Inmuebles Carso–were all down from Friday’s market close to Tuesday’s close.

The men have long battled for the top spot on the net worth race (it belonged to Gates for nearly a decade and a half before Slim claimed it in 2010, as my colleague Kerry Dolan explains). But they’ve been teaming up on philanthropy. At the Global Vaccine Summit in Abu Dhabi in April, Slim pledged $100 million towards Gates’ effort to end polio. The announcement marked the second time this year the pair have teamed up on philanthropy. In February, Gates joined Slim in Mexico to announce a philanthropic partnership aimed at improving agricultural research with the goal of reducing hunger. Neither man disclosed how much his foundation would dedicate to the effort.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erincarlyle/2013/05/22/bill-gates-is-worlds-richest-bumps-slim/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/05/bill-gates-once-again-worlds-richest-person/

1 Like

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 23, 2013
embarassed
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by frederal(m): 7:04pm On May 23, 2013
Nigerian presidents nko
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by babaskool2: 2:35pm On May 24, 2013
Dear nairalanders i would be spamming Nairaland as a form of protest at a particular moderator with the 100 email addresses im about to create, the point is it makes Nairaland unbearable and as all you see is post is hidden in almost evry thread you open. Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by oluwacjay: 2:37pm On May 24, 2013
WHO CARES!!!!

1 Like

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by bigx(m): 2:37pm On May 24, 2013
And I'm here commenting on nairaland
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by otumfour(m): 2:38pm On May 24, 2013
babaskool2: Dear nairalanders i would be spamming Nairaland as a form of protest at a particular moderator with the 100 email addresses im about to create, the point is it makes Nairaland unbearable and as all you see is post is hidden in almost evry thread you open. Thank you

some characters we have on here ehn grin grin grin grin grin grin grin....funny shixt tho

1 Like

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by oluwadare26(m): 2:38pm On May 24, 2013
Jay- Hahaha

Davido- Why u dey laugh?

Jay- I'v checked the List 1001 times, but couldnt find ur Dad's Name.

Davido- U dey Muah, whats dat suppose to mean?

Jay- Nothing now...just thought dat with all ur bragado ur Papa go dey on d list

Davido- U are M.ad once again, wey ur own father's Name?

Jay- O.B.O...u get mouth

Davido- Na me b dat oo

4 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by manny4life(m): 2:38pm On May 24, 2013
All this billions and I'm here thinking of how to make my million $$$..

1 Like

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Tolexander: 2:40pm On May 24, 2013
Na car race!
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by metti(m): 2:41pm On May 24, 2013
tongue tongue
bigx: And I'm here commenting on nairaland
Dem force you?
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 24, 2013
oluwacjay: WHO CARES!!!!

You seriously do and that's why you're hating right now haha

1 Like

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by badoist(m): 2:42pm On May 24, 2013
so au does dis news affect me? should i be happy or what? next.....
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Iaz93: 2:44pm On May 24, 2013
Men wey sabi.
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Nobody: 2:44pm On May 24, 2013
Almubaraq1 cares with 1 kobo
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Culbobby(m): 2:45pm On May 24, 2013
Like seriously,what would happen to all the billions when he(gates) goes back home?...if only money can buy eternity.smh
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by stolenstone: 2:46pm On May 24, 2013
Bill Gates abeg lay hands on me na make i tap dis anointing ooo!! Carlos Slim come lay legs on me!!!!!!!!!! maga must pay! I need am like mad

3 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 24, 2013
WHO CARES ? LET ME SEE HIM TAKE IT WITH HIM WHEN HE DIES THEN I WILL BE IMPRESSED

4 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by TRILLIONIAR: 2:46pm On May 24, 2013
oh my junior brothers GATE AND SLIM FIGHTING

2 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 24, 2013
Na wa oh. I wonder what it feels like when one is at a station in life where it makes no difference whatsoever whether you gain or lose a few hundred million dollars! These men can't be 'mere' mortals, not in the ordinary sense.

2 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Digital1: 2:47pm On May 24, 2013
London. Tel Lagos:08035294663 , London: 00447804242605 . Email: uk.digitaz@gmail.com

Blackberry bold 5 9900 @ N40,000
Blackberry bold 4 9780 @ N24,000
Blackberry bold 2 9700 @ N21,00
Blackberry Touch 1 9800 @ N25,000
Blackberry Touch 2 9810 @ N33,000
Blackberry Curve 4 9360 @ N24,000

Do you want to start a mobile phone selling business in Nigeria , talk to us and we can help in sourcing the right product .
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by PhysicsQED(m): 2:47pm On May 24, 2013
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by sholay2011(m): 2:47pm On May 24, 2013
badoist: so au does dis news affect me? should i be happy or what? next.....
Stop hating sis....if Bill Gates son toast u nw, we no go rest for celebrity section of NL....na to dey post pictures of u nd d son of d richest man.

5 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 24, 2013
lhmmmm... nice cash
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by alaoeri: 2:49pm On May 24, 2013
The money just too much for 1person, he no go even be able to spend 1/10 of it before he kick the bucket.
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by jeffizy(m): 2:50pm On May 24, 2013
Bill fence Gates or Carlos orobo slim don't care who stays on top of the list.

FORBES and it's megalomaniac attitude is just creating a sense of inadequacy in people like me. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 24, 2013
Culbobby: Like seriously,what would happen to all the billions when he(gates) goes back home?...if only money can buy eternity.smh

Unless you live under a giant rock somewhere far from civilisation, you should have heard that he has pledged most of his fortune to charity. Not just that, he is actively campaigning for other billionaires to do same. What more do you want?

I tell you what, this man stands a better chance of making heaven than the selfish and greedy pastors some of us 'worship' in this part of the world.

16 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by yuzedo: 2:51pm On May 24, 2013
oh my grate former uncle nebor inside abroad. bro billy, am so happy to here dis knews, i want to deddicate dis aword to obatala, i will listen to ur grate invention, the iPod to celibate dis victry. bro, our oda freind alika dangotti greet u & said u shud by him his favrite gost-buster pynjamas. Ohaneze ndibo alaba branch is proud of u! kiss smiley

10 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:52pm On May 24, 2013
Learnt both men are philantropists.
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by Skynet247(m): 2:53pm On May 24, 2013
What a nice achievement...
Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by ajasa4link: 2:53pm On May 24, 2013
Na wa o...the 2 men are busy making their billions on a daily basis and some people are wasting their precious time doing calculations,analysis and comparism of their wealth instead of finding means to make money as well... I've always said it; time is the leveler of all things,its how u use ur time that makes u what u are. Time is the difference between the rich man and the poor man not money. A rich man will buy a poor man's time and ensure that such men don't have time to even think of what to do with their time... I refuse to use my time in arguing and convincing others about who I think is the richest man in the world

2 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim by elari(m): 2:54pm On May 24, 2013
to all those asking "who cares", all i see is jealousy. U care but got no money of ya own

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need A Palm Kernel Oil Supplier / Western Union Discontinued At Gtbank Plc / 4 Best-kept Secrets Of Business Success

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.