Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,029 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? (8313 Views)

How To Get Facebook Page And Twitter Verification For Nigerian Businesses. / What Are The Dangers Of Buying Already Made Facebook Pages And Twitter Handles / Do We Pay Tax For Online Income? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 23, 2013
The Turkish Finance Ministry has sped up its work to collect taxes from the online advertising market. The initiative focuses on collecting taxes from various foreign-based websites, which have considerable online advertising revenues, like Facebook and Twitter.

“Every enterprise that earns money in Turkey will pay tax in Turkey, including Facebook, Twitter and others. The online advertising market has now earned $1 billion, and 70 percent of the income goes abroad without being taxed,”Turkish Finance Minister Mehmet Şimşek said yesterday. Şimşek added that the ministry is about to finalize the related regulation draft to ensure the taxation of online advertisement revenue that is earned in Turkey, regardless of the origin of the company.

Online search engines and social networks have earned more and more from their online advertisement services. Such websites generally withdraw the online advertisement payments by credit card and the money goes abroad instantly without being taxed, due to the commonly signed intergovernmental agreements by many countries to prevent double-taxation for companies. This is also case for Turkey.

Google earns $45 billion annually from its online ads, around $22 billion to 23 billion of this is from Europe but the exact number for Turkey is not known.
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/twitter-facebook-to-pay-tax-in-turkey.aspx?pageID=238&nid=46746&NewsCatID=344
[size=16pt]
Could same apply in Nigeria?[/size]
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by GraphicsPlus(m): 7:17pm On May 23, 2013
There is steady light in Turkey. Could same apply in Nigeria?

8 Likes

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 23, 2013
GraphicsPlus: There is steady light in Turkey. Could same apply in Nigeria?
Fact is they're making money in and from Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by ComaBerenices(f): 7:26pm On May 23, 2013
I'd be interested to know how this would be enforced.
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by buziy(m): 7:28pm On May 23, 2013
i dont think such things can happend in nigeria as well as african

1 Like

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 7:34pm On May 23, 2013
Do they have a physical presence in Nigeria? If they pay tax to Nigeria then they will pay tax to every country in the world except North Korea.

1 Like

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 23, 2013
Afam4eva: Do they have a physical presence in Nigeria? If they pay tax to Nigeria then they will pay tax to every country in the world except North Korea.
Since they don't need any physical presence to make money from Nigeria, they also don't need that to pay their taxes.

3 Likes

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 9:07pm On May 23, 2013
Brand_new:
Since they don't need any physical presence to make money from Nigeria, they also don't need that to pay their taxes.
You only pay tax for service been rendered to you. What service is the Nigerian government rendering to Twitter and facebook?

5 Likes

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
You only pay tax for service been rendered to you. What service is the Nigerian government rendering to Twitter and facebook?
The Nigerian internet space ofcourse.

Question is, how much service do an average Nigerian get from it's government. I guess that's a topic for the politics section.
Point is, they make money from Nigerians hence they should pay their Tax.

2 Likes

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by SincereBigot: 12:22am On May 24, 2013
--
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 12:23am On May 24, 2013
Brand_new:
The Nigerian internet space ofcourse.

Question is, how much service do an average Nigeroan get from it's government. I guess that's a topic for the politics section.
Point is, they make money from Nigerians hence they should pay their Tax.
They're only meant to pay tax to the country where they're beaming from. There's no such thing as NIKgerian internet space in the case of tax.

Facebook and Twitter make money from Nigeria and not Nigeria as a country.

2 Likes

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:25am On May 24, 2013
--
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:25am On May 24, 2013
Short answer is NO.
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:30am On May 24, 2013
Truely this is a joke. Do some of the top citizens in this country pay tax?

3 Likes

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by UyiIredia(m): 12:30am On May 24, 2013
I'm ambivalent on the issue. On one hand they may be making money from Nigerians. OTOH I feel government's collecting tax from social networks because of their ad revenue may herald government intrusion into the cyberspace.
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:33am On May 24, 2013
Sincere Bigot: --
Actually, it ought to. Nairaland earns revenue now from its ads. It didn't have to when it was just a forum. It is now a business and every nigerian business ought to ppay tax

1 Like

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by aminho(m): 12:38am On May 24, 2013
so they are gonna start taxing seun from what he worked hard to get not so cool
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Adex097: 12:39am On May 24, 2013
YES! When nairaland starts paying tax in u.s.a , u.k, ireland and so on.

9 Likes

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Rexnegro(m): 12:40am On May 24, 2013
Facebook and twitter paying ? Mehnnn I don't know O° but allow me ask their third brother GOOGLE....wait I dey come

1 Like

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by everyday: 12:45am On May 24, 2013
I will like to see how this argument goes
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by supaeagles(m): 12:49am On May 24, 2013
Tax wetin?? While in principle this is a financially sound idea, but in actuality, our politicians will end up chopping more money from this tax windfall
angry
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by redbottles(m): 1:07am On May 24, 2013
saintvalx: Truely this is a joke. Do some of the top citizens in this country pay tax?

Your head  is correct jare..case closed!!

1 Like

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:08am On May 24, 2013
seun stop hidding my post. I take God beg you angry

1 Like

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by FILEBE(m): 1:16am On May 24, 2013
nairaland go dey pay tax abi wetin u talk? must evething be taxed? i see someone is jealous of someone making money onlne
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 1:20am On May 24, 2013
YES.

FB, Google, MS, Yahoo, all of them should pay taxes to their entities. After all, foreign companies operating in the U.S. pays taxes to IRS.
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:22am On May 24, 2013
Let me get this straight, so this is the new trend now? that Social sites should pay tax...
Issokay!!! maybe they'll buy and launch a new satellite for us then....

NO sir! they shouldn't pay.
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 1:22am On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
They're only meant to pay tax to the country where they're beaming from. There's no such thing as NIKgerian internet space in the case of tax.

Facebook and Twitter make money from Nigeria and not Nigeria as a country.

Granted that you can't tax transactions done over the cyberspace unless there's physical presence (that's why Amazon and some others don't), but that's not what we're talking about. Advertising revenues from Nigerian advertiser that go to Google and Yahoo and Facebook and Twitter and their likes should be taxed. It's taxable revenue/income (after expenses).

2 Likes

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by AZeD1(m): 1:37am On May 24, 2013
manny4life:

Granted that you can't tax transactions done over the cyberspace unless there's physical presence (that's why Amazon and some others don't), but that's not what we're talking about. Advertising revenues from Nigerian advertiser that go to Google and Yahoo and Facebook and Twitter and their likes should be taxed. It's taxable revenue/income (after expenses).
Its not taxable because there's no presence. If all countries adopt this method, nairaland would close within a day because I'm pretty sure someone in Turkey visits nairaland daily.

4 Likes

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by takeprofit: 1:39am On May 24, 2013
The only way it can happen is to tax nigerians that want to advertise on facebook or twitter. the nigerian govt can partner with mastercard or visacard for that. btw nigerians web developers are good enough to have their own social network that wld attract americans to come and advertise in. why must everything worldwide thing be owned by americans?
Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 1:44am On May 24, 2013
manny4life:

I still don't see how it's possible...It's like Nigeria taxing a Walmart store in America because a Nigerian travelled to America physically to buy a good from their store.

3 Likes

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 1:47am On May 24, 2013
A-ZeD:

Its not taxable because there's no presence. If all countries adopt this method, nairaland would close within a day because I'm pretty sure someone in Turkey visits nairaland daily.

You misunderstand what I write.

NL cannot pay taxes as you put it because NL is an entity but NL does have a "physical presence" of operation, i.e. if it were to engage in sales of products as it is governed by the rule of commerce. NL wouldn't close because someone visited the site, however, while no one has sole ownership of the cyber transaction, cyber transactions fall under local/international jurisdictions, thus NL should pay Turkish govt taxes if it decides to accept advertising revenues from Turkish advertisers. The rule of no physical presence shouldn't apply, the U.S. isn't the only country good for taxing their companies both ways - incoming and outgoing revenues.

2 Likes

Re: Should Facebook And Twitter Pay Tax In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 1:52am On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
I still don't see how it's possible...It's like Nigeria taxing a Walmart store in America because a Nigerian travelled to America physically to buy a good from their store.

First, Walmart is an American entity, however, believe it or not, IRS taxes Walmart and it's subsidiaries that have revenues outside the United States when they file their consolidated tax returns. Perfect case was Tim Cook of Apple who testified in Congress sometimes this week (Congress is dealing with Foreign Tax Codes and laws governing taxation), believe it or not, Apple pays their standard taxes when you Afam buys an iPhone, when a Chinko purchases an iPad, when a German purchases iMac or whatever. They pay these taxes, so I don't see why a Nigerian or Turkish govt cannot tax American companies who accepts revenues from their local entities.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Create Ajax Chat & Learn Web Page Data Xchange via Json Vs Xml / How To Run A Blog Easily Without Having A Computer / 10 Things To Know Before You Buy A Domain Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.