Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,087 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel (14888 Views)

Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister / Okonjo-iweala Connived With World Bank, IMF To Write Off Ajaokuta Steel Company / A Plea To Revive Ajaokuta Steel Company- Natasha Akpoti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 24, 2013
i hope this will not happen in the power sector.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Nobody: 12:15pm On May 24, 2013
Demdem: Good one from the retardeen for completing the take over. Global steel is a useless Indian company. More kudos to the late yaradua who was courageous enough to nullify the concession agreement in the first place.

That you are calling a sitting president "Retardeen" even in the face of a very good job which you are very happy about calls for sober reflection on your part. wherein lies your ethical values?
GEJ currently occupies the highest office one can possibly aspire in Nigeria - legitimately. Don't denigrate that office by your uncontrolled vituperations. By consistently calling him retardeen, you are telling yourself that even if you aspire higher, it cannot come to fruition. I urge you to desist from that forthwith.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Reference(m): 12:21pm On May 24, 2013
awodman:

Source:www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/jonathan-recovers-ajaokuta-from-global-steel-sen-adeyemi/

How is this a good thing for the government to recover that liability and when the senator says 10,000 jobs he means government employees who will end up as notorious PHCN type workers down the line. It is not compulsory to run a steel plant. If the private sector can't do it the government shouldn't try. They ran the place for thirty years and failed under all past governments.

If they don't know what to do with money they should look towards basic infrastructure. Steel production is pure business. No where in the world does government invest in it.

The fact that you failed the privatisation exam does not mean you should withdraw from classes and close down the school. This merry-go-round has got to stop.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 24, 2013
If only our govt would also revive the national shipping line and acquire ships that would be used to export crude oil and finished petroleum products-Pms,Diesel,Ago,Jet A1,Lubricants,Black Oil,...LNG,etc that will of course be after our refineries are operating at full capacity,...imagine the number of citizens that would be employd
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by debbyhenry: 12:26pm On May 24, 2013
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by AjanleKoko: 12:28pm On May 24, 2013
Demdem: Good one from the retardeen for completing the take over. Global steel is a useless Indian company. More kudos to the late yaradua who was courageous enough to nullify the concession agreement in the first place.

Seconded.
Those muthafuggas were stripping down the plant and shipping out machinery to their operations in India and Russia angry
No attempt to start up production, just cannibalizing the company's assets embarassed
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 24, 2013
That is very great! This is a laudable plan to resuscitation a gigantic factory plant in Nigeria. Go GEJ!
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Reference(m): 12:43pm On May 24, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Seconded.
Those muthafuggas were stripping down the plant and shipping out machinery to their operations in India and Russia angry
No attempt to start up production, just cannibalizing the company's assets embarassed

Is it today the place has been looted. The looting started in 1982. They have constantly replaced one major component of that plant since that time. They have refurbished the plant how many times, they have closed down, sacked workers and paid compensation how many times.

Is this a joke or what or is it because we don't work for the money as a nation we waste on these things. If you owned a factory and paid salaries for 35 years without returns any right thinking man will call you foolish.

If government cannot successfully sell that thing they should dig a big hole and bury it. It is a liability. Period.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Reference(m): 12:55pm On May 24, 2013
If they want it to work they should first establish a conducive environment through carrot and stick. The Minister of Trade should get off his fat behind and start creating steel markets and value chains. Create proper internal demand and then slow imports.
This is pure private sector turf.

How government expects to be selling flat sheets to Innoson while they cruise BMW's or rebars to Berger when they owe on contracts baffles me. Just forget it.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Demdem(m): 12:57pm On May 24, 2013
Okoro2015:

ban me for calling you your name? or for you calling GEJ Jonathan, retardeen or other sundry abuses on me?

Yes Jonathan retardeen is in order the same way vampire Buhari and Tinubu etc. Ur calling me name attracts a ban and I wonder why the mods aren't doing their duty here.
Demdem abuses no nairalander.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 24, 2013
aminho: If u don't believe in nigeria like this comment

The Ghanains and their fellow hating countries are liking that comment.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by kaeto(m): 1:03pm On May 24, 2013
simply_me:

LOL. Why do people expose their foolishness by their comments?
are you perplexed? It's when they talk that we can conduct a proper cencus for 'fools' in Nigeria, to ascertain their number. Even the bible said, 'when a fool keeps his calm, he would be mistaken for a wise'. I rest my case.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by AjanleKoko: 1:13pm On May 24, 2013
Reference: If they want it to work they should first establish a conducive environment through carrot and stick. The Minister of Trade should get off his fat behind and start creating steel markets and value chains. Create proper internal demand and then slow imports.
This is pure private sector turf.

How government expects to be selling flat sheets to Innoson while they cruise BMW's or rebars to Berger when they owe on contracts baffles me. Just forget it.

Maybe the truth is that we just don't understand that side of business. Creating value chains for manufacturing.
I can imagine Aganga would be focusing on quick wins in oil and gas, or something of that nature.
Setting up the industrial base here in Nigeria would be a major task for a serious minister. I pity such a person to be honest.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by nwabumalyahoo: 1:14pm On May 24, 2013
God bless GEJ
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by ABAKA72(m): 1:38pm On May 24, 2013
Demdem:

Demdem always says the truth as it is. Jonathan for now still remain retardeen though.
mr man, who gave you the right to insult the president of Nigeria and by extention Nigerians in general. GEJ may have his short commings just like every other human being, he makes mistakes like all of us, you may not be satisfied with his policies, you may be anoyed by the way he do things but that does not warrant your casting aspersions on his person, presently he remains the president of this country. who are you by the way? of what value have you been to humanity other than trash. Imagine a faceless nonentity castigating a man that has manage to become the president of the FRN. what was the level of achievement your father attained? can you tell us one member of your family or reletive that is known for anything? be it in politics, football, music , academics, public administration, spiritual leadership, just to mention but a few, yet instead of critisizing constructively, you keep insulting people that are better than you in every aspect. in your quiet moments do some soul sarching about yourself before you abuse others.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by eldoradoxx: 1:47pm On May 24, 2013
holyvirgin: Each time I pass through ajaokuta, and the huge project abandoned by past administrations I weep for my dear country. Ajaokuta alone can employ more than half of unemployed nigerians and nobody seems to be disturbed about it. I trust GEJ, and I know his tenure will bring about the change we desperately need.
Godbless Nigeria
I share your views. GEJ might not succeed in every area but I think that he is showing major level of potentials for success in industrialisation, in road construction, I ply most of the Federal roads and see major works going on as never seen before. He might also do well in power generation. Most times in my journey I see real movement of gigantic power equipments to various sites across the country. There is real investment in the sector too. Another area is rail transportation, major rehabiliation works and currently goin on. Surprisingly, most of the works going on on our roads are from major intervention funds from SUREP program. This government has shown for the first time that savings from subsidy removal could be invested in projects that have direct impact on the welfare of the masses.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Reference(m): 1:48pm On May 24, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Maybe the truth is that we just don't understand that side of business. Creating value chains for manufacturing.
I can imagine Aganga would be focusing on quick wins in oil and gas, or something of that nature.
Setting up the industrial base here in Nigeria would be a major task for a serious minister. I pity such a person to be honest.

Well he just has to. That's why government should not just wake up and take these kinds of decisions. Steel plants are not cheap to set up and run. People who put money in these things secure markets first or create markets well ahead. They don't assume the markets are there then throw billions into the ground hoping.

If the trade minister says the thing won't fly there's nothing the industries minister can do. Any other thing is a white elephant.

In the bid for the London olympics LOCOG had to prove to government that facilities will be viable after the games so they came up with a business plan to free government of liability. Look at our facilities after the All-African games, shambles. That's the difference.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Nobody: 1:49pm On May 24, 2013
Whew!!!at last....tnk God
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by ifyn4real: 2:04pm On May 24, 2013
before the factory was built shagari called germans to bulid the factor they refuse the contract because they knew that this guys will be building big machines like ships etc, so he called the russians, they built it but went away with the heart of production, the machine that can mould bigger plate lipsrsealed

thank God it is back
our naval ach where y all at

we need our own titanic ship grin
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Kunlegzy(m): 2:10pm On May 24, 2013
if the news coming from this quarter is anything to go by then the President has done something worthy of commendation and applause. This year makes it seventh year that we went for Geology of Nigeria then in the University, studying and mapping of Ajaokuta steel company was the norms for every Graduating Geology student back then. But to be honest, Obj was the principal reason why the Company failed and degenerate to that level, every equipment with the inclusion of crushers, and even raw material were carted by the Chinese firm that it was allocated to, the whole complex wasnt functional, the only workers we saw then was just the gatemen and couple of Geologist/Consultants that took us through the length and breadth of the area, they were so shocked at the way Obj and his cohorts including the firm, mismanaged, sold off and carted away the goodies of this respected Company, Eventhough am not a big fan of him(Jonathan) but this time he has done well, and i think he deserves the commendation.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by naUgotire: 2:13pm On May 24, 2013
This is pure bull crap. Do you know the amount of money already sunk into this steel mill in the past? What are we celebrating for? The mill had gulped more than $10 b dollars before Global Steel acquired it for like $200 m. Are we to celebrate the fact that after they acquired it for a ridiculous sum, they went on a binge of raping the mill? They dismantled most of the machineries and took them overseas. Go to Ajeokuta today, and you won't see any useful machinery on the ground, and this useless politician had the effrontery to tell us to be happy because the government has recorded a monumental achievement. Nigeria is truly sick.

Very soon, they will start another phase of very wasteful spending on the mill. Billions of dollars will once again be spent, and the mill will still not be any better for it. It's going to be a vicious cycle once more. MARK MY WORDS!
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Reference(m): 2:19pm On May 24, 2013
ifyn4real: before the factory was built shagari called germans to bulid the factor they refuse the contract because they knew that this guys will be building big machines like ships etc, so he called the russians, they built it but went away with the heart of production, the machine that can mould bigger plate lipsrsealed

thank God it is back
our naval ach where y all at

we need our own titanic ship grin

This is not true. Building an industrial complex and running it are not the same thing. They involve two different sets of expertise. Those who build careless what you do with it. It is when you involve business concerns with competing interests in establishing these plants that matters like this happen.

If I wanted to build a refinery I could either engage Shell or Mobil who have interests in the business and suffer the consequences or engage Kellog or Hyundai heavy who don't sell oil. If we've been engaging the wrong people to build plants for us that's our problem but to generalize and say the Germans did this, and the russians that is wrong. It is our corruption that cannot make that thing work.

If government engaged Dangote to build a cement plant for it to manufacture the stuff don't you think that would be strategic suicide.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Olaolufred(m): 2:53pm On May 24, 2013

Many don't bother to know the truth in any stories.
Yaradua is the one who revoked the gift (Ajaokuta Steel) Obasanjo gave to the useless indian coy.
Litigation began on it.
Since Jona is the president, he has no other choice than to defend the decision taken by his deceased boss.
Or would have have decided to settle out of court and return it to the Garlic-eating fake Oyinbos like obj did?
All praise goes to Yaradua on this one.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Ilaje44(m): 3:04pm On May 24, 2013
Mayowura:
What is your profit for 1like?
Mtcheew!
I damn dislike the post!

https://www.nairaland.com/1301138/pregnant-woman-sold-unborn-baby
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by successking: 3:06pm On May 24, 2013
A good move in the right direction! Keep it up.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Olaolufred(m): 3:21pm On May 24, 2013
Ramcie: It's actually true. my mum works there and things are infact changing for the better. The workers there are all excited about this. That's one place in Nigeria that enjoys so much light it's almost unbelievable. I'm so happy for Ajaokuta. if you've lived there , you wouldn't wanna live anywhere else cos there is water, light, gud roads just to name a few.

WHY YOU SEEMS TO HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ASCO.
THE BOLDED ARE NOT SO.
IT USED TO BE, BUT NOT NOW.
DRIVE THROUGH, AND YOU WILL SEE PLACES WHERE EROSION HAS CUT OF ROADS.
WATER? PEOPLE LEAVE ON BOREHOLES DRILLED BY CHURCHES.
GREATEST IS THE HIGHWAY FROM OKENE TO AJAOKUTA.
DEATH AND ARMED ROBERRY SCENE IT IS.
FOR YOUR INFO, MY RELATIONS JUST CAME VISITING ME IN LAGOS THIS AFTERNOON.
ASCO IS NO LONGER WHAT YOU DESCRIBED.
POWER(ELECTRITY) IS THE ONLY FACILITY REMAINING. THANKS.
Re: Jonathan Recovers Ajaokuta Steel From Global Steel by Digital1: 3:23pm On May 24, 2013
We are pleased to offer the following UK used blackberry phones in Pristine condition. They come in Excellent condition and are flawless. We have been in the UK used phone business for over 10 years , you can pick up your phones in Lagos or London. Tel Lagos:08035294663 , London: 00447804242605 . Email: uk.digitaz@gmail.com

Blackberry bold 5 9900 @ N40,000
Blackberry bold 4 9780 @ N24,000
Blackberry bold 2 9700 @ N21,00
Blackberry Touch 1 9800 @ N25,000
Blackberry Touch 2 9810 @ N33,000
Blackberry Curve 4 9360 @ N24,000

Do you want to start a mobile phone selling business in Nigeria , talk to us and we can help in sourcing the right product .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why We Arrested Omisore: EFCC / Nigeria Youth Forum Gives Buhari 7 Days To Apologize Over Derogatory Comment / 2023: Emefiele May Discard Presidential Ambition After Meeting Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.