Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,413 members, 7,819,480 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Eye glasses vs contact lens - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Eye glasses vs contact lens (4674 Views)

Eye Care: What You Must Never Do To Contact Lens- Experts Advice / Lamentations Of A Glasses/contact Lens User / Do You Wear Contact Lens? What Does It Feel Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eye glasses vs contact lens by Caleb5: 6:48am On May 24, 2013
Please i have low myopia.can someone tell me between eye glasses and contact lens,which will correct my eyes.

1 Like

Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by aijaydiva(f): 7:39am On May 24, 2013
Both are optical aids and will correct ur myopia. Correction doesnt mean it will cure ur myopia, but at d time of wear ur refrctive error will be corrected. There are advantages and disadvantages of both of them.
Eyeglasses (advntges): they are easy to wear, give good vision, somehow shield d eyes against dust,foriegn body and uv rays (depending on d type).
Disadvantages; they sometimes feel heavy on d face,some patients react to d materials they r made from,u cant wear them during some activities (e.g swimming, playing football, or other activities that cld risk its breakage), and some occupations cld restrict d use of glasses (e.g some acting roles wld restrict d use of glasses).
Contact lenses (advantages); sometimes give better vision, u dnt even feel like u have any eye problem, they r fashionable, better for people who dnt want people to know they have errors, u could wear them to do anything and not fear risk of breakage (except swimming), dey serve as bandages sometimes to d eye. They sometimes protective cos a friend of mine told me she once didnt feel d effect of tear gas on her eye cos of contact lenses. And dey dnt feel heavy.
Disadvantages; over-wear cld compromise eye health so u dnt have wear dem all the time, they r not easy to wear as they need special care and procedures. If not taken care of very well, they cld be contaminated. Its also not adviseable to wear contact lenses wen pregnant.

So having both spectacles and contact lenses is a great choice. Unless u need only one.

1 Like

Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by Caleb5: 8:40pm On May 24, 2013
@aijaydiva,thank u so much,bt do u knw any good hospital to get a contact lens and how much it cost?Thanks
Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by aijaydiva(f): 10:58pm On May 24, 2013
Just go to any good eye clinic and ask 4 one. Price depends on d seller but u could get from ₦3500 and above depending on d power and quality
Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by sophieLL(f): 9:07am On May 25, 2013
Contact lens is not good for eyes. Sometimes, if the contact lens are not cleaned carefully, it will contain bacteria, which can easily be transferred to your eyes and cause infections.
Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by ada85: 12:29pm On May 25, 2013
@aijaydiva, , pls why isn't it advisable to wear contact lenses while pregnant?
Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 25, 2013
sophieLL: Contact lens is not good for eyes. Sometimes, if the contact lens are not cleaned carefully, it will contain bacteria, which can easily be transferred to your eyes and cause infections.

so true.
as someone who wears both i can tell you i have had the misfortune of slightly further damaging my vision because of my contacts. but the problems with glasses are that your eyes become heavily dependent on them. tongue

my advise op, is to see an optometrist and have a discussion with them about what would be best for YOU. What works for us may not work for you and vice versa so see a professional.
Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by aijaydiva(f): 5:19pm On May 25, 2013
ada85: @aijaydiva, , pls why isn't it advisable to wear contact lenses while pregnant?
sometimes when contact lenses are not cared for properly, they could carry some microorganism. But someone with an intact immunity myt not get infected because of the body's ability to fight diseases and infections. This is the case unless the microganisms "overshadow" the immunity of the individual. During pregnancy, immunity is reduced and so resistance to infections is reduced.
Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by sholajohn(f): 11:00pm On May 28, 2013
I have ben wearing eye glasses since I was 12yrs old. Started using contact lens last year and I will say am loving it, though I switch btw the two. The thing with contact lens is that you ve to be very neat and careful with it.
The answer 2 ur question is that none will correct ur sight 100percent. It will only correct it wen its worn. Good luck
Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by deols(f): 11:46pm On May 28, 2013
Even when you use contacts, you need to have glasses.

The contacts except for the extended wear arent to be worn for too long. You are not to sleep with them on & are so not good while travelling.

contacts are fashionable, good for active periods but as said above, are difficult to put on, transmit infections and more expensive to manage.

You see differently with both. I prefer the contacts. Objects appear smaller than they are with glasses on. I have Myopia as well.
Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by nellaluv(f): 9:04am On May 30, 2013
please who knows where they sell contact lens solution in anambra state.
Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by Caleb5: 11:16pm On May 30, 2013
Thanks for all ur posts,bt i dnt still get.is contact lens that dangerous because i watched a woman on tv who had fungus in her eyes after using it.i,m just around -2.0 to -2.5.so i still need ur suggestions.if a good eye clinic in abuja can be suggested in abuja will also do.thanks.
Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by deols(f): 12:03am On May 31, 2013
Caleb5: Thanks for all ur posts,bt i dnt still get.is contact lens that dangerous because i watched a woman on tv who had fungus in her eyes after using it.i,m just around -2.0 to -2.5.so i still need ur suggestions.if a good eye clinic in abuja can be suggested in abuja will also do.thanks.

If you take to precautions, you have nothing to fear.
Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by AtlantEyeClinic(m): 3:00pm On Jan 09, 2017
If you live in Abuja and you have any related eye issues you can come for your Comprehensive Eye Exams at Atlanta Eye Clinic, Abuja

Suite 1, Cherry Hill Plaza,
Behinde Eternal filling Station,
Eke A.Yesufu Close,
Utako, Abuja.
Tel: 08131140366, 08132339471
http://atlantaeyeclinic.com.ng/

Re: Eye glasses vs contact lens by OliviaNell: 10:23am On May 17, 2020
I usually buy glasses on the site Zenni Optical, they have a very good choice for any needs, a very large selection of frames, you can choose to your taste, and also use a promo code for a discount, which is even more pleasant.

(1) (Reply)

My Experience With Health Insurance In Nigeria / COVID-19 Update For May 17 2021 In Nigeria / 9 Benefits Of Eating Watermelon During Pregnancy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.