Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,907 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? (10693 Views)

Security Agencies Flogging Nigerians In Traffic: Legally Right Or Wrong? / Are Modern Nigerian Girl's Bad And Proud Of It? / Gen. Muhammadu Buhari: The Paramount Enemy Of Democracy In Modern Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by addicted268(f): 1:03pm On May 25, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]I hate the act of flogging. My dad flogged us when we were younger and I always found it stupid and heartless. It was very saddening and I believed my father didn't love my siblings and I. Sometimes I think back now that I'm adult, and I see no reason for any of it. I can't attribute any good thing that I am to flogging.

I've already vowed not to flog or spank my children. I don't want them to reflect in adulthood and have moments of disdain or disappointment for me the way I have for my dad sometimes.[/size]
in my home,my mum was the flogger.she would assign housechores and sometimes come home to find that we didn't do them.played a lot.ohh,how she flogged us!we never hated her for it.not for a single day,the irony is that my dad,who never lifted a finger on us was the one we feared.....as an adult,when I reflect,I hold nothing in my heart for her but pure love.sometimes we tease her about her "terror cane" and we all have a goodlaugh about it.......back to topic,I will flog my kids.children are more intelligent than we give them credit for.they know whose bluff to call and whose not to.they know what they can get away with,and with whom.we keep saying "he's just a child,when he's older he ll get it".more often than not,they don't get it!from as early as 2yrs old,they try to manipulate d parents.at 2,I won't exactly use a cane on my kid but will spank d back of his/her palm,when they get older,I ll introduce d cane.as late teenagers,I ll use words.there's no way that kid won't turn out good!and yes,I owe the way I turned out to my parents,especially my mum!I LOVE YOU MUM!!

3 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Litmus: 1:31pm On May 25, 2013
Best, smacking age (10 to 19 17)
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by 7thCANON: 1:42pm On May 25, 2013
Spare the rod and spoil the child!!! Though other corrective measures should also be employed.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Roland17(m): 2:06pm On May 25, 2013
I don't really care about the different schools of thought, my kids would be spanked whenever they act very stupid, its correctional.

I don't have time for grounding kids to their rooms.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Born2beRich1(m): 2:12pm On May 25, 2013
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

You are on your own... I just can't believe Nigerians are impaired in reasoning. I can count the number of times my dad beat me mercilessly. I can't count the number of times my mum flogged me. Yet in all of that, I am way better. U can't compare the morals of a child that was flogged to those that were not. Flogging is the only way. It has been from the beginning and will always be.
Take our fore fathers for example. Do u agree that the world is gradually loosing it norms and values?
Before now divorce was a shame, same sex marriage was also a shame. Now pple are proud to say they have divorced 5 times or push for same sex marriage.
1c you leave ur roots, you become confused. Wo, I dey beat my cousin and after that I tell him y I do so. So you better shine your eye... Before you start regretting.

Thank you...You have said it all...

I believe people especially Africans just like to copy the westerners in their ways of life...

People should not mix up the act of discipling your children with love via the rod or cane or whatever and flogging your children out of anger or frustration.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Norajones(f): 2:15pm On May 25, 2013
Flogging has been our tradition and i don't see it changing soon...outside d country,,like america n d likes, a kid insults d mom or dad and leaves d house till night,when he comes back to sleep in d same huse,,for naija here insult ur mama or papa na ur neighbor go even flog yeye commot for ur body.

2 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by BlackBaron: 2:20pm On May 25, 2013
To the idiots still justifying use of koboko.
Pray tell how many lashes you could endure.

I went to a secondary school where koboko was the tool of choice.

After being whipped with it, it was not uncommon to see students walking around with blood stains on their backs and scars that last weeks or few months.

I am for moderation but sadly Nigerians have never heard of such a word.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by adgwarri: 3:23pm On May 25, 2013
it all dpends on d size of d cane, d larger d better
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by ddeola: 3:33pm On May 25, 2013
It's simple, spare the rod and spoil the child
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Image123(m): 4:08pm On May 25, 2013
Proverbs 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Mdrill(m): 4:21pm On May 25, 2013
"Spare the rod. And spoil the child."
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 25, 2013
[size=13pt]Some people need to take psychology. What most of you are saying is that you can't teach your child good from bad or raise a well-behaved child without flogging? There is no lesson in a cane. A cane is not a teacher. It inflicts pain, fear, and low self-esteem. If you have to use a cane or whip to rear a child because he or she is "bad", then maybe you're doing something wrong as a parent.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Daresh(f): 6:46pm On May 25, 2013
I do not believe in flogging children. It doesn't work. It is better to take away something they really love, or punish them in a more painful manner other than flogging. I just don't agree with it.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by elhadjkoko(m): 6:46pm On May 25, 2013
[quote author=]LOL

but the opposite has seem to be true. Spanking a child teaches a child that if he wants to impose his will on another person (get that person to do what they want or correct that persons behavior), that violence is a way to do it.

Studies have shown that kids that are beat are more likely to beat others and get into physical altercations. If you look at Nigeria, people fight in the open street. People are so ready to fight that any minor argument turns into slaps and punches or shirt grabbing.

I've noticed that my friends that weren't beat growing up, even when they're angry, will seldom hit another person. Some of them have got mad at a person and stupidly hit a wall with their fist. I used to think it was crazy but I've come to realize it's because the idea of hitting a person to them is very outrageous. To us it's normal. If words don't work, you hit. Sometimes you hit before using words. You have to wonder if this is why Nigerians that lose elections start inflicting pain and damage on others. We've been thought that violence is an alternative to dialogue and intelligence in commanding respect.

Nigerians have been beating their kids since Adam, but Nigeria is rife with violence crime, deviance and moral decay at levels that are hard to top anywhere else in the world, so I've began to think maybe we're the ones that have it wrong.

As a child i was scolded like any other Nigeria. It wasn't till now, in my mid twenties, that I realized how violent of a person i was. I had gotten into more fights than most of my friends, and I've hit more people than most of my friend, whom their parents didn't spank or scold. I'm not a bad guy, I have no criminal record, and im very disciplined, but i found myself getting physically quickly and now i realize it was an insane way of thinking and encourages stupidity and an inability to solve a problem or have true discipline (not act on instinct when tested.

I think i will hit my sons moderately so that they aren't soft and can defend themselves if need be, but i never want to create a situation where they're afraid of me or anyone. I won't hit my daughters at all so that if a man hits them they don't think it's 'a normal thing'. Men beating their wives comes from men being beat as boys, they learn that it's 'how you exert authority'. A real man shouldn't have to lift a finger for his wife to listen or respect him and fear/pain isn't respect[/quote]

Beating aint allowed in the developed world & thats why we have serial killers, large sale murders and so on, I'm a teacher and f U want to know, schools where indiscipline thrives most are where flogging has been banned, there's a notable school in Ibadan where a student slapped a teacher and to save his job the teacher just had to walk away and report to the principal. There is another school where I once taught, where beating was also frowned, except for very serious offences. Some students that were sent home for school fees ish went drinking & later naked themselves on the street, what did the school do? They were given 4strokes each, the said students just started laughing after the beating.....now how do you think those ones will turn out later in life?
We need it to keep our wards in check...even the Holy Books support it.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by miss20(f): 6:58pm On May 25, 2013
I would say it should b done modrately or else,d child would get used to it nd become worse
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by LordReed(m): 7:10pm On May 25, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]Some people need to take psychology. What most of you are saying is that you can't teach your child good from bad or raise a well-behaved child without flogging? There is no lesson in a cane. A cane is not a teacher. It inflicts pain, fear, and low self-esteem. If you have to use a cane or whip to rear a child because he or she is "bad", then maybe you're doing something wrong as a parent.[/size]

The point is not to substitute flogging for teaching but to reinforce teaching with it. Caning doesn't induce low self esteem rather nasty words are responsible for that. You say your Dad flogged you, you sure didn't turn out wrong despite your unwillingness to acknowledge anything good about it.

One thing is sure children need to learn self restraint which no man has in-built. If you can teach your child that with out punishment please come show me the method I'll be very glad.

2 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by destino24(m): 7:45pm On May 25, 2013
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Image123(m): 7:48pm On May 25, 2013
Proverbs13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by redsun(m): 8:47pm On May 25, 2013
What could make somebody hit a child?Madness or melancholy?Abi gbogboes?

Only ignorant parents beat children for correction.The moment an adult hits a child is the moment that shows an adult that has totally lost it.

Children learn by challenges,responsibilities and consequences.They learn to be like the adults.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by MajeOfficial: 9:17pm On May 25, 2013
joeyfire:

I agree with this 100%. My grandad was flogged when he messed up, so was my dad and I in turn. Oyibo kids are generally badly behaved and out of control because their parents have lost control. Why? Because they don't beat their butts.

Almajiri boys are lawless because no parental discipline. Adebolajo too I'm sure wasn't whipped that's why he could degenerate from nice boy to phone thief to running to a fanatical islamist preacher by 18. For naija his dad and uncles for don beat sense back into his head

Oyibos are bad behaved and nigerians are what? Think critically. Have you seen a group of oyibos trying to get on a bus? compare that to a group of Nigerians trying to get on a bus. Nigerians trying to get on a plane, Nigerians in school, Nigerians at work. Nigerians don't have the same level of discipline as their counter parts in oyibo countries.

If i drop you wallet here in america. Someone will pick it up, see that that's money in it, take it to the bank, and tell them to contact me that my wallet has been found (this has happened to me).

In Nigeria they will even wrestle it out of my pocket. Nigerians are very deviant and violent compared to oyibos, so you can't say oyibos are 'bad behaved' when Nigerians are forming Boko Haram and kidnappers cults.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 25, 2013
joeyfire:

Oyibo kids are generally badly behaved and out of control because their parents have lost control. Why? Because they don't beat their butts.

And Nigerians are better behaved with all their greedy, deceitful, sycophant and wayward behaviors?

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by sainty2k3(m): 10:52pm On May 25, 2013
ZACHIE:

Shut up. It is not

I wonder when people like you will learn to be courteous on nairaland. Just because we are all 'faceless' doesn't mean we should neglect the moral value of mutual respect.
Now I can see what flogging has done to you lipsrsealed[quote author=ZACHIE]

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by LordReed(m): 5:43am On May 26, 2013
[quote author=]
Oyibos are bad behaved and nigerians are what? Think critically. Have you seen a group of oyibos trying to get on a bus? compare that to a group of Nigerians trying to get on a bus. Nigerians trying to get on a plane, Nigerians in school, Nigerians at work. Nigerians don't have the same level of discipline as their counter parts in oyibo countries.

If i drop you wallet here in america. Someone will pick it up, see that that's money in it, take it to the bank, and tell them to contact me that my wallet has been found (this has happened to me).

In Nigeria they will even wrestle it out of my pocket. Nigerians are very deviant and violent compared to oyibos, so you can't say oyibos are 'bad behaved' when Nigerians are forming Boko Haram and kidnappers cults. [/quote]

The reason why "oyinbo's" behave is because their laws are well enforced which is tantamount to a parent (ie their government) wielding a big stick. Try stepping out of line in public and see whether security won't frag your arse. As for terrorist organisations tell me in what country was the IRA formed or the Red October or the KKK? There is deviant behaviour in every part of the world so pointing out boko haram is not a valid point. What is valid is as an individual do you gain by being disciplined by a parent? And I dare say a resounding yes!

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 8:26am On May 26, 2013
If you spanked a child with one hand, pet him with the other hand.

My Dad flogged us no be small but my mama never did. When he flogged you, mum will come to you and correct you. He also will call you and talk to you, pointing out the whys of the beating. He also treats us equally well. Growing up was fun.

Considering how we turned out, it is well worth it. That I can't say concerning our neighbours.

Disciplining a child should be both parents' responsibility.

I wouldn't spare the rod for my children. Wherever they are now, they shall know how it is going to be...

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 8:28am On May 26, 2013
Lord_Reed: The point is not to substitute flogging for teaching but to reinforce teaching with it. Caning doesn't induce low self esteem rather nasty words are responsible for that. You say your Dad flogged you, you sure didn't turn out wrong despite your unwillingness to acknowledge anything good about it.

One thing is sure children need to learn self restraint which no man has in-built. If you can teach your child that with out punishment please come show me the method I'll be very glad.

[size=13pt]I didn't turn out well because I was flogged. I turned out well because I modeled my parents' behaviors. Modeling is the greatest form of discipline in my opinion. Children mimic behaviors, including physical abuse. If a parent flogs or spanks a child, don't be surprised when that child starts spanking and flogging siblings, cousins, pets, etc. Behave ideally so that a child will mimic ideal behavior. I don't need a cane to raise any child of mine.[/size]
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by destino24(m): 9:14am On May 26, 2013
sainty2k3:
I wonder when people like you will learn to be courteous on nairaland. Just because we are all 'faceless' doesn't mean we should neglect the moral value of mutual respect.
Now I can see what flogging has done to you lipsrsealed

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by UyiIredia(m): 9:17am On May 26, 2013
Akshow: bone that thing. Forget that thing Abeg. Who you wan ground for naija? No be parent wey give pikin privilege de ground them? In case you forget, many Nigerians are leaving below poverty line so floggin and beatin of pikin no fit stop. I'm in full support of beating. My mama beat me no be small but always wit love and care. Even you yourself will know What you are punished for is justified. After the beating, my papa go draw you close tell you not to do am again. That kind beg de Make sense cos na den your head go de swell de cry but the lesson is learnt. You wan use only mouth warn four five year old pikin? Children wey be say Wetin you say Make them no do at that age Na im them go do. I say ay to reasonable beating wit love. I no ready to spare d rod come yama yama my pikin life

Whatever works. I will however make a guess: that there are responsible individuals who were never flogged (but corrected through other means) and there are social misfits who were flogged for the most part of their childhood.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by destino24(m): 9:17am On May 26, 2013
kingphemy: If you spanked a child with one hand, pet him with the other hand.

My Dad flogged us no be small but my mama never did. When he flogged you, mum will come to you and correct you. He also will call you and talk to you, pointing out the whys of the beating. He also treats us equally well. Growing up was fun.

Considering how we turned out, it is well worth it. That I can't say concerning our neighbours.

Disciplining a child should be both parents' responsibility.

I wouldn't spare the rod for my children. Wherever they are now, they shall know how it is going to be...

there is nothing wrong with "mildly" smacking your child for correctional reasons...as far as you do that with love "in mind" and not anger and fury.

i utterly detest the "koboko" part...that piece of tool was made to enforce discipline in cows
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Litmus: 9:31am On May 26, 2013
[quote author=]

In Nigeria they will even wrestle it out of my pocket. Nigerians are very deviant and violent compared to oyibos, so you can't say oyibos are 'bad behaved' when Nigerians are forming Boko Haram and kidnappers cults.

[/quote]

Total rubbish!

On buses Oyibos are very selfish. They often refuse to give seats to the aged, pregnant or women with lots of children. The other day my uncle who was visiting form Nigeria stood to give up his seat to a pregnant woman and a white woman with a toddler took the seat instead, without looking anyone in the eyes or apologizing. I have seen this type of thing so many times. Nigerian kids are often the most polite children on buses,sweet and apologetic to an almost embarrassing level. Nigerian's in group can be boisterous but they are very rarely rude except in instance when they are on mobile phone. If you drop a wallet in Nigeria, people will call your attention to it. In instance of rushing on planes, as you put it, Nigerian will do this when it i a generally chaotic -everyone for himself- situation. On a bus the other day a group of white and mixed-raced kids thought it funny to keep throwing chewing-gums rolled up in pepper at passenger in the exit door-well about to disembark, one Portuguese woman was so incensed she cussed loudly, and the white and mixed raced kids just laughed and continued until the Bus driver stopped the bus. Whites are rowdy, rude and dangerous when they are in groups.On football days, you take your life in your hands,if you're ethnic and mingle amongs them outsite the grounds or places where the mill, like pubs, tube stations etc

You cannot compare Nigerian manner to Oyibo ones,Nigerians are often far better behaved. People, just keep trying to create these false Narratives for Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 10:05am On May 26, 2013
eGuerrilla: The type of corporal punishment depicted below is a vestige of our colonial past and does little to advance the interest of a healthy society.

This picture bring memories of ny secondary school years. Mad sad men in the name of teachers would hit with joy at any slight opportunity. This demonic treated really affected by for a very long time.h.i only recently just got over it.a little spanking is fine but beating is demonic

2 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by sainty2k3(m): 10:14am On May 26, 2013
The point is that flogging is not the only way to discipline a child. And there has not been more sanity in flogged children when compared to th 'unflogged' children.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by dolphinife: 10:54am On May 26, 2013
I have come to found out that men do not beat their children as much as women do. Because, men doesn't have the time to do so and the women are the custodian of their childrens behaviours and morals.I prefer to offend my dad than my mum cos she would even tie my legs to the bed, and will start giving me serious beatings.
But what I love her for was that, after the beatings, she would consoleme, pet me and take me out to anywhere I wanted. Despite all her beatings, my mum or my dad always detest their children crying cos they would be emotional. And I thank the spanking, the beating and the flogging today cos it definitely reshape my life and I was better for it.
We should carry out research on those people that were flogged when growing up and those people that weren't flogged and let's see who's life is better for it.......operation flogging on point

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos: Handsome Man Turns Into Old Woman After Sex Change Surgery Went Wrong / Jackal: An Asset Or A Nuisance To The Sports Section? / Photo ( The Killing Of I.p.o.b Biafra Members In Onitsha)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.