Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,245 members, 7,822,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba (83280 Views)

Find Out A Madrid Star Who Wants To Play For Nigeria / Why Enyeama May Never Play For Nigeria Again / Photo: David Alaba And His Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by airmark(m): 12:09am On May 26, 2013
BAYERN Munich youngster, David Alaba, says he should have been playing representative football for Nigeria but was denied by stringent eligibility rule by football officials in the country.

Alaba, whose father is Nigerian and of Filipino mother, plays for Austrian national team but only after he has been turned down by Nigeria.

The defender said he actually planned to join Nigeria's cadet team which won the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship at South Korea but words reached him of his ineligibilty

''I wanted to play for Nigeria but I must confess that there was no formal approach for me. A scout actually discussed that with me. I was excited because of my dad, he was a fan of Sunday Oliseh when Oliseh played for FC Koln. As a kid, I loved to watch Victor Agali in the jersey of Hansa Rostock,'' he told an Austrian news medium.

However, Alaba was shocked when told by the scout that Nigeria had plans mainly for its home-grown talents.

'' I got the information that Nigeria will only consider those who were in the country perhaps because of travelling logistics and that is the end of that."

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/sports/7508-why-i-dumped-nigeria-david-alaba.html%EF%BB%BF

Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Gudiza(m): 1:59am On May 26, 2013
.....Alaba, whose father is Nigerian and of Filipino mother

Oh, so that explains his straight hair. If you look closely in the background you will see his Filipino relation. Omo, ehn African gene strong gan.

Anyway, Congrats to the new EU Champions & one luv bro.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by wellmax(m): 7:48am On May 26, 2013
If na terrorist you go hear, 'no he has never been to Nigeria, he's not Nigerian', but since he's a star, we'll try to remind him of his Nigerian roots.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Nobody: 8:14am On May 26, 2013
wellmax: If na terrorist you go hear, 'no he has never been to Nigeria, he's not Nigerian', but since he's a star, we'll try to remind him of his Nigerian roots.

On the contrary. . .

We welcome all our esteemed terrorists too with warm hands. We love them and grant them STATE PARDON.

Or don't you know Alamiesiegha was a financial terrorist? Along with all the other political terrorists?
cheesy cheesy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Otutu1(m): 9:25am On May 26, 2013
breezy047:

On the contrary. . .

We welcome all our esteemed terrorists too with warm hands. We love them and grant them STATE PARDON.

Or don't you know Alamiesiegha was a financial terrorist? Along with all the other political terrorists?
cheesy cheesy cheesy
make we hear word abeg lipsrsealed
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Nobody: 10:53am On May 26, 2013
Otutu1: make we hear word abeg lipsrsealed

Smh
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Syenite(m): 11:54am On May 27, 2013
airmark: BAYERN Munich youngster, David Alaba, says he should have been playing representative football for Nigeria but was denied by stringent eligibility rule by football officials in the country.

Alaba, whose father is Nigerian and of Filipino mother, plays for Austrian national team but only after he has been turned down by Nigeria.

The defender said he actually planned to join Nigeria's cadet team which won the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship at South Korea but words reached him of his ineligibilty

''I wanted to play for Nigeria but I must confess that there was no formal approach for me. A scout actually discussed that with me. I was excited because of my dad, he was a fan of Sunday Oliseh when Oliseh played for FC Koln. As a kid, I loved to watch Victor Agali in the jersey of Hansa Rostock,'' he told an Austrian news medium.

However, Alaba was shocked when told by the scout that Nigeria had plans mainly for its home-grown talents.

'' I got the information that Nigeria will only consider those who were in the country perhaps because of travelling logistics and that is the end of that."

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/sports/7508-why-i-dumped-nigeria-david-alaba.html%EF%BB%BF

You see i have always been of the opinion that every player whether foreign or homebased should be given a consideration at all levels. I dn't like this idea of giving special considerations to home based when we equally have more exciting foreign based players. Keshi is guilty of this.

Ok the so called Mathew Edile that played in the position where Alaba could possibly had played, where is he today?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by bobbyL(m): 1:13pm On May 28, 2013
Really, home grown players? This guy is Nigerian and is likely to be of the right age, not like most of the home-grown players who are fathers and elder brothers to him. If our best players are foreign-based, some could be allowed and not outrightly rejected.
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Markachi666(m): 2:04pm On May 29, 2013
Very unfortunate. I hope we don't miss another Alaba again.
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by dayokanu(m): 8:08am On Sep 18, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Goke7: 9:43am On Sep 18, 2013
If the guy was only in Keshi's team, men na semi final all the way for Brazil o, imagine the build up from Alabi to Onazi, Mikel, Moses or emenike, even German National team go fear fear.

Sadly its only a wish, I hope just like someone said earlier we will never loose another Alaba again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Goke7: 9:45am On Sep 18, 2013
dayokanu:

[img]http://static.dyp.im/8c5lHGkLUN/b473edbf7b1001684305e38d38f4082a.gif[/img]

That pass to Arjen Robben was a Killer, its worth more than the money that was paid for Gareth Bale
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by dejijohns(m): 10:32am On Sep 18, 2013
Otutu1: make we hear word abeg lipsrsealed
Na joke d guy dey naa....
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 18, 2013
we missed out big time. This guy is still so young and doing amazingly well for debatebly the top team in the world (bayern)..if he had him we would have SO MUCH more strength in our defence.. i hope we keep out eyes open for a potential gem like this in the future
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by ShyDare(m): 4:30pm On Sep 18, 2013
Goke7: If the guy was only in Keshi's team, men na semi final all the way for Brazil o, imagine the build up from Alabi to Onazi, Mikel, Moses or emenike, even German National team go fear fear.

Sadly its only a wish, I hope just like someone said earlier we will never loose another Alaba again.
On point ! He wud av added so much cuttin edge 2d left wing of d eagles. He reminds me of udeze.
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by festusfeezy(m): 6:52pm On Sep 18, 2013
u sound like a baca fan, na pple like u tery g sing for. Wuruwuru trowe badbele trowe. No compare Bale wit anybody else. quote author=Goke7]

That pass to Arjen Robben was a Killer, its worth more than the money that was paid for Gareth Bale[/quote
U
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Goke7: 9:02am On Sep 19, 2013
[quote author=festusfeezy] u sound like a baca fan, na pple like u tery g sing for. Wuruwuru trowe badbele trowe. No compare Bale wit anybody else. quote author=Goke7]

lol unfortunately I am not barca fan I was only trying to describe the worth of that goal and fortunately, am a big fan of Bale and real madrid.

Are u okay now?
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Ayomax(m): 12:49pm On Sep 23, 2013
i'm proud of this dude. if i was in shoes i wont even consider playing for dis fukd country. more over this shld be on FP
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by dozai: 1:04pm On Sep 23, 2013
bboiabb: we missed out big time. This guy is still so young and doing amazingly well for debatebly the top team in the world (bayern)..if he had him we would have SO MUCH more strength in our defence.. i hope we keep out eyes open for a potential gem like this in the future
Yes another gem may come is in the name of seyi that was dropped by Obuh but was picked by arsenal recently. So what was it that obuh didnt see that wenger saw in the young tall defender. And obuh even went to Turkey with those old slowpokes.
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by sweetgala(m): 1:51pm On Nov 21, 2013
He can still switch to nigeria in the future.
If we do well in Brazil and he is interested he is still young. Even Ameobi came around in the end.
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Mikocake(m): 4:32pm On Nov 21, 2013
sweet_gala: He can still switch to nigeria in the future.
If we do well in Brazil and he is interested he is still young. Even Ameobi came around in the end.
Man he is a full Austrian International. Its not possible.
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by safarigirl(f): 7:39am On Nov 22, 2013
Mikocake:
Man he is a full Austrian International. Its not possible.
that's what I don't get. If he couldn't make the age grade, why didn't he try the senior team eventually? Instead he settled for Austria that will probably NEVER win a cup. If he was eligible, Keshi would've called him up just like he did Bright Dike, Moses and Ameobi. I don't subscribe to the 'if you try and fail, take whatever else you get' idea. The joining of the Austrian team is suicide for the international career, he'll end up like Ryan Giggs, Aboutrika and Bale, great players who will never see the World Cup, difference being, he had an option.
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by seankay(m): 7:57am On Nov 22, 2013
safarigirl: that's what I don't get. If he couldn't make the age grade, why didn't he try the senior team eventually? Instead he settled for Austria that will probably NEVER win a cup. If he was eligible, Keshi would've called him up just like he did Bright Dike, Moses and Ameobi. I don't subscribe to the 'if you try and fail, take whatever else you get' idea. The joining of the Austrian team is suicide for the international career, he'll end up like Ryan Giggs, Aboutrika and Bale, great players who will never see the World Cup, difference being, he had an option.
The Austrian FA were wiser,they saw the talent in him and they offered to cap him at a very young age before anybody could discover his full potential and as a young player who was relatively unknown,he was too hard to turn down.He was capped at age 17 or 18

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Mikocake(m): 8:18am On Nov 22, 2013
safarigirl: that's what I don't get. If he couldn't make the age grade, why didn't he try the senior team eventually? Instead he settled for Austria that will probably NEVER win a cup. If he was eligible, Keshi would've called him up just like he did Bright Dike, Moses and Ameobi. I don't subscribe to the 'if you try and fail, take whatever else you get' idea. The joining of the Austrian team is suicide for the international career, he'll end up like Ryan Giggs, Aboutrika and Bale, great players who will never see the World Cup, difference being, he had an option.
The Austrian team isn't that bad bro and I'm sure Nigeria would struggle against them..the fact is that as some point in a player's career he has to make certain decisions in order to forge ahead probably for his club careeR..clubs respect full international a lot.
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by safarigirl(f): 10:42am On Nov 22, 2013
Mikocake:
The Austrian team isn't that bad bro and I'm sure Nigeria would struggle against them..the fact is that as some point in a player's career he has to make certain decisions in order to forge ahead probably for his club careeR..clubs respect full international a lot.
I didn't say they're that bad. But amongst teams like Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, France, Portugal and Sweden, they're as good as hopeless. I mean, Senegal would've qualified if they were an Asian team or a North/Central American team, but they ended up on a reasonably tough continent. It was a rash decision, one he may regret once in a while.
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by safarigirl(f): 10:45am On Nov 22, 2013
Mikocake:
....oh! And it's sis, not bro. The (f) after safarigirl is not a typo *smileyface*
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Ajibel(m): 3:37pm On Nov 22, 2013
safarigirl: ....oh! And it's sis, not bro. The (f) after safarigirl is not a typo *smileyface*

iThink you're a (m) sad
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by safarigirl(f): 3:42pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ajibel:

iThink you're a (m) sad
lol, why so? I'm (f) trust me
Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Mikocake(m): 4:16pm On Nov 22, 2013
[quote author=safarigirl]I didn'

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Play For Nigeria - David Alaba by Mikocake(m): 4:18pm On Nov 22, 2013
safarigirl: ....oh! And it's sis, not bro. The (f) after safarigirl is not a typo *smileyface*
Noted..are u from east Africa?? smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mikel Obi Reacts To Buhari's Wife In Kitchen Comment With This Photo / Inside The N13bn Mansion Cristiano Ronaldo Will Be Staying At Manchester (Photo) / N’Golo Kante ‘Too Shy’ To Ask To Hold World Cup Trophy. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.