Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Thou Art Inexcusable O Man! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thou Art Inexcusable O Man! (2178 Views)

Letter To Bishop Oyedepo: Thou Shall Serve No Other God, By Adeolu Ademoyo / Permission To Use Our Brains 'O' Man Of GOD. / Awesome God, How Great Thou Art: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Thou Art Inexcusable O Man! by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 26, 2013
Thou Art Inexcusable O Man!

1.0 Introduction
I have borrowed as the topic for today’s message, a phrase from Romans 2:1. Although this phrase as used by the Apostle Paul addresses the issue of hypocritical judgement, however we have decided to use it because it fits into what we are looking at today. This message is designed to inform or remind us that we are responsible for our actions or inactions that will eventually take us to our place of eternity.

Text: Luke 16:19-31
19 “There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. 20 And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, 21 who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores.22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. 24 And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’ 27 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father's house— 28 for I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31 He said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.’

The Bible in this true life story of Lazarus and the Rich man highlights the following:
i. Heaven is real, so also is hell.
ii. The righteous will go to heaven after their physical death (verse 22)
iii. The wicked will go to hell when they die physically (verse 23)
iv. Heaven and hell are separated and none can cross from one to the other (verse 26)
v. Hell is characterised by suffering, torments, agony etc (verses 23-24)
vi. Heaven is a place of bliss, comfort and joy (verse 25)
vii. The destinies of both of them are irreversible at death (verses 24-26)
viii. The coming of God’s will entail a reversal of fortunes:
a. The rich, proud and powerful will be humbled and brought low
b. The poor, humble and oppressed who knew their God will be exalted

The rich man was the architect of his calamity because while he was here on earth, he failed to pay attention to Scripture and its teaching. His life was consumed by self-centred living. He made the wrong choice and he suffered eternally for it (verses 22-23).
Lazarus on the other hand, lived all his life in poverty, but his heart was right with God. His name means “God is my help” and he never gave up his faith in God.

Life Application
Brethren, we are responsible for where we will spend eternity. Our actions on a daily basis prepare us for where we will be after our sojourn here on earth. Believe it or not, accept it or reject it, wish it away or face the reality, physical death is a debt we must all pay, except the Lord Jesus comes before then. We will all leave this world one day: the rich and the poor, the humble and the proud, the clergy and the laity, the wise and the foolish etc. God is not responsible for our lifestyles. Nobody (including ourselves) will blame Him for our failure to make it to His kingdom when we die.
Philippians 2:12-13 “ Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill His good purpose.”
i. As believers saved by grace, we must work out our salvation to the end. If we fail to do this, we will lose our salvation given us (did I hear somebody say “lose our salvation?” I say to you, yes we can lose our salvation). We need to ask for His grace and the Holy Spirit’s enablement to work out our salvation.
ii. We must resist sin and follow the desires of the Holy Spirit within us. We must set ourselves apart unto God as vessels of honour (2 Tim 2:20-21).
iii. We must ever draw near to Christ and not to miracles, money, deliverance, protection etc.
iv. We as God’s children should possess a holy fear that trembles at the Word of God (Isaiah 66:2) and causes us to turn away from evil. Let us not become too familiar with God as to forget the dread of sinning against Him and facing the consequences. We must acknowledge and remember the awe of His power, holiness and righteous retribution.
Titus 2:11-13 “11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, 12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age,13 looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour Jesus Christ,”
i. The saving grace has appeared to all people (gender, race, creed, nationality etc) everywhere, not just a select few “favourites” like some people think. Believers who want to make heaven must decisively say “NO” to worldly and ungodly passions, pleasures and values of this present age and regard them as abominable. A great emphasis on earthly acquisitions has no place in the lives of heaven focused believers (I Tim 6:6-11). Brethren, “gain is no godliness.”
ii. Our lifestyles should be like that of pilgrims and strangers (1 Pet 2:11; Heb 11:13). Our citizenship is in heaven not of this earth and we eagerly await our Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ from there (Phi 3:20).
Conclusion
i. God’s work in us is not of compulsion or irresistible grace. The work of grace within us is always dependent on our cooperation and response of faith. We become the servants of whosoever we yield ourselves to obey; whether of sin which leads to death (everlasting destruction from the presence of God) or of obedience unto righteousness (Rom 6:16).
ii. A day will come when the books shall be opened and anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life will be thrown into the lake of fire (Rev 20:11-15). The Bible portrays a terrible picture of the final destiny of the lost. It speaks of “tribulation and anguish”; “weeping and gnashing of teeth”; “everlasting destruction”; a “hell where the fire shall never be quenched” among others.
iii. God has made available to us all that we need to be in His kingdom. 2 Peter 1:3 says “His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.”
iv. We have to cut off anything that will hinder us from making heaven (Mark 9:43-48). If we fail to do that we will have ourselves to blame and not God. Are you in a church where all you hear is God’s love, mercies, abundant blessings, etc without the mention of God’s wrath and righteous judgement on fornicators, adulterers, thieves, the covetous etc, then you are in the wrong place. You will do yourself a lot of good to prayerfully ask God to lead you to a better place of worship. There must be a balance message of God’s love and judgement in our churches (Rom 11:22).
v. Are you a pastor who will because of the fear of losing members of your congregation fail to teach or preach on heaven and hell, know that you are doing a great disservice to yourself and the congregation unto which the Lord has made you an overseer (Acts 20:28) and one day you will stand before the judgement seat of God (2 Cor 5:10-11).

I ask again, “Are you on way to heaven or hell?”
Hear what our Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ said in Luke 17:32 “Remember Lot’s wife.”
Think on these and it shall be well with you as you obey the voice of the Holy Spirit. Till we meet again on this platform, remain blessed in JESUS’ name, Amen.
Re: Thou Art Inexcusable O Man! by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 26, 2013
^^^ Another decieved deciever

(1) (Reply)

Did You Put The Last Church Sermon In To Practice? / Seven Ways A Christian Lady Can Attract A Responsible Man For Marriage / Pastor Makes Congregants Suck His P.enis In Church, Says His S.perm Is Holy Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.