Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,670 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need (6597 Views)

Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions / NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators / Presidency To Spend N654.02m On Generators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by aspabay(m): 12:15am On May 27, 2013
Defying logic, and  objections from lawmakers, the Nigerian government has channelled nearly a quarter of a billion naira this year to fuelling and maintaining electricity generators in its embassies abroad, when many of the missions have no such need, as their host nations provide stable power supply.
These missions include those located in the United States, the United Kingdom as well as China and several dozens of developed, or emerging nations.
Despite paying N523 million for electricity charges in 2013, the embassies will spend an extra N170 million to power generators they have no need for, in a bizarre spending spree that surprises even ambassadors who are expected to deploy the cash.
The figure is expected to cover N117 million for fuelling and N51.9 million for maintenance of plants in some 100 foreign missions. This is more than double what would be needed if  strictly deserving nations were considered as has been done in years past.
An extensive review of previous federal budgets, and interviews with government officials show how the allocation, now part of the 2013 Appropriation Act, brushed aside a policy that previously ensured such funds went only to missions with electricity troubles- mainly in Africa, and other third world regions.
That effort saved costs, PREMIUM TIMES investigations show, and officials and lawmakers vigorously pursued it, denying generator funding to missions in African nations with relatively improved power supply like Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt -a restriction that spread across Europe, America, Asia and Australia.
But somehow, in 2013, these same officials have pulled a bazaar of sorts, dishing out millions of naira to every Nigerian mission around the world, from Bangui to Washington, to London, to Russia, to Tokyo to Tehran, for generator servicing and fuelling, even when many of those stations appear unaware of the monies at their disposal, the review shows.
A shocked Nigerian ambassador to the United States scrambled a denial when pressed by PREMIUM TIMES on why the Washington embassy should draw such funding, when it apparently has no need for it.
“I’ve been here for three years and we don’t have generator and diesel here in Washington. And that means we don’t budget for generator and diesel,” the ambassador, Adebowale Adefuye, told PREMIUM TIMES last week.
Mr. Adefuye’s denial sheds light into what appears to be a thinly-concealed scheme by government officials to dubiously insert self-serving clauses into the federal budget books.

For more visit: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/136185-investigation-how-nigeria-squanders-millions-on-generators-its-foreign-missions-dont-need.html
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by aspabay(m): 12:21am On May 27, 2013
Shocking figures
The US “fuel and maintenance” bonanza are only a part of an extensive, questionable allocations to dozens of missions abroad-funds which can help address pressing projects back home.
London, for instance, has the highest allocation for plant/generator fuel costs. Despite approving N20.4 million for that mission’s electricity bill, the Foreign Affairs ministry approved practically the same amount (N18.3 million) for running plants/generators in the power-stable capital of United Kingdom.
While the permanent mission in New York has N33.8 million for electricity, it also has over N8 million for generators.
The Nigerian diplomatic post in Portugal’s capital, Lisbon, with no stated allocations for electricity charges, budgets N712, 341 for plant/generators fuel charges; suggesting the office will run solely on generators in 2013.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by aspabay(m): 12:27am On May 27, 2013
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by wellmax(m): 6:15am On May 27, 2013
This is serious.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by 1forall: 8:25pm On May 29, 2013
Authority stealing > Armed robbery

Happy Democrazy Day Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Krasid(m): 9:42am On May 30, 2013
Na waa oo.But what do you expect when you have 15 hours of electricity a week.The government better solve this electricity problem as soon as possible.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Abujabir24: 9:44am On May 30, 2013
Soon some GEJ lapdogs here will still support this clueless president. if at all I would vote for pdp, then its better I go for LAMIDO/AMAECHI 2015

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Frendys(m): 9:49am On May 30, 2013
Generator use is a disease that has affected many including our Diplomats.

This disease is being exported to their host countries where stable power supply obtains.

It's another strategy to perpectuate corruption.

Village mentality is now being institutionalised in the city and exported to the nations of the world!
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Lilimax(f): 9:50am On May 30, 2013
aspabay: A shocked Nigerian ambassador to the United States scrambled a denial when pressed by PREMIUM TIMES on why the Washington embassy should draw such funding, when it apparently has no need for it.
“I’ve been here for three years and we don’t have generator and diesel here in Washington. And that means we don’t budget for generator and diesel,” the ambassador, Adebowale Adefuye, told PREMIUM TIMES last week.
LWKMD! Do they really need generator in the US...? A country that have uninterrupted power supply
Corruption in high places sad
Naija wonder shocked shocked?
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Nobody: 9:51am On May 30, 2013
WHERE THE HELL IS REDMOSQUITO abi seun don ban am til 2015?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by miqos02(m): 9:52am On May 30, 2013
blame the national assembly

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Nobody: 9:53am On May 30, 2013
This just defies logic. I think they should just allocate an amount in the budget called "insanity and corruption allocation". I would suggest an estimate of 100 billion naira for insanity and corruption allocation. That is where such funds like generator for foreign missions should go. They should just say that is money they will steal amongst themselves without any explanation whatsoever, and we will then hope they will put the rest of the budget to good use. Abi 100 billion no reach them?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by linkin8k(m): 9:55am On May 30, 2013
Daylight robbery, why can't they be content with the millions they are earning already?
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by ewet: 9:59am On May 30, 2013
What has changed under GEJ and his wrapper-Madam world bank. This got has no recourse to accountability and fiscal discipline.He promised transformation and we are indeed transforming from bad to worse to worst.

He promised fresh air but the air is foul with corruption tat stinks to high heavens. and here he is trying to compel us all to cope with his hopelessness come 2015. GOD ALMIGHTY FORBID!
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by FlyboyZee: 10:04am On May 30, 2013
Yungwizzzy: WHERE THE HELL IS REDMOSQUITO abi seun don ban am til 2015?
Is it our fault that you couldn't spell or read well? I would advise you to ask your father to help you read, summarize and also write for you on NL. Ewu! Anu mpama! Ara oko! Buzzu!

Go get yourself an education, it could help save your life one day.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by mu2sa2: 10:05am On May 30, 2013
This is just one out of the many, many hidden areas they are using to siphon billions of naira into their pockets. Let some apologists come and spew rubbish that gej isn`t aware of the monumental corruption he`s presiding over.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by foreignstudy: 10:10am On May 30, 2013
I see also Nigerian embassy here in Vienna on this page. I live here in Vienna since more than 34 years. The Uno say vienna is the city with the best living in the world. I can't remember when we here in Vienna we have the last time that we had no electricity. We have it 7/24 hours. No one need here to have a generator.
It is wast of money.
I look what they need here in Vienna for a small embassy.
Cost of Electricity Naira 6737882,-- Euro 32.807,-- USD 42.564,--
Cost of fuel for what Naira 1.024.313,-- Euro 4.987,-- USD 6.470,--
New Generator Naira 394.774,-- Euro 1922,-- USD 2493,--
They say the need realy near 3000 Euro for one month for electricity sorry that is to much.
A normal family with 4 person and with a house where you have all going with electricity like cooking, washingmaschine,tryer for the clothes, dishwasher,freezer, refrigerator, 3 Tvs and light, and a omputer who is always online will not pay more than 100 Euro per month.
I only whant to show you the differenc because big shops here in Vienna have to pay this for there electricity and with big i mean shops with 5.000 m2.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Nobody: 10:10am On May 30, 2013
Wonders shall never end! What d hell does the Nigerian embassy in the US need generators for?
This is pure, unadulterated corruption. It would have been laughable, if it weren't so unfortunate.
The media, National Assembly and the EFCC should immediately probe these fraudulent allocations.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Nobody: 10:10am On May 30, 2013
[size=20pt]And you wonder why Nigerian politics is a do or die affair....

OTOH, asses are not bottoms or behinds can reconstruct the level of stupidity in me....

OTOOH, same-sex marriage will turn sexy seun into tempting silmyem!!!!
[/size]
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by fitzmayowa: 10:12am On May 30, 2013
Shey na like this we go dey dey

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Dewze(m): 10:14am On May 30, 2013
Abujabir24: Soon some GEJ lapdogs here will still support this clueless president. if at all I would vote for pdp, then its better I go for LAMIDO/AMAECHI 2015

you r a funny person. U sound like one tht hs made up his mind to hate even if u r not objective abt it. It is the National Assembly's job to correct things like this and nt the president.
U shld first know how responsibilities are shared in Govt before commenting on issues like this.

Hate, but hate objectivly.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by wellmax(m): 10:23am On May 30, 2013
Dewze:

you r a funny person. U sound like one tht hs made up his mind to hate even if u r not objective abt it. It is the National Assembly's job to correct things like this and nt the president.
U shld first know how responsibilities are shared in Govt before commenting on issues like this.

Hate, but hate objectivly.

National Assembly or GEJ, this goes to show how corrupt this government is.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Iykeponti(m): 10:29am On May 30, 2013
Nothing wey ear no go hear from dis country.. Wht a shame!!! Wetin be our problem sef
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by tspun(m): 10:39am On May 30, 2013
God will judge you all.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by olason(m): 10:41am On May 30, 2013
I weep for this great nation called NIGERIA, a country God has blessed so much with HUMAN and NATURAL RESOURCES , but put into misery by wicked and callous leaders. ONE DAY, there cups will b full and they will have no were to hide!
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Opey4luv(m): 10:41am On May 30, 2013
Fela has said it all: ''Authority stealing pass arm robbery. We Africans we most do something abt this nonsense''
I have never heard a Nigerian leader stealing thousands, NO!!! It must start from millions and not even millions, hundreds of millions.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Nobody: 10:42am On May 30, 2013
you won't blame them,as a man is,so he thinketh.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by ochallo: 10:46am On May 30, 2013
Krasid: Na waa oo.But what do you expect when you have 15 hours of electricity a week.The government better solve this electricity problem as soon as possible.

How difficult is it to read and understand what has been stated above before commenting. The monies are sent to foreign embassies that have 24 hours electricity supply.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by beezman(m): 10:48am On May 30, 2013
Personally I can never vote for pdp as a party again no matter who the candidate is,because they all turn to something u don't know after the election.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Ilaje44(m): 10:53am On May 30, 2013
olason: I weep for this great nation called NIGERIA, a country God has blessed so much with HUMAN and NATURAL RESOURCES , but put into misery by wicked and callous leaders. ONE DAY, there cups will b full and they will have no were to hide!
Please brother, you write that Nigeria is a great nation, could explain the features that makes Nigeria a Nation and also great?
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by dulphines: 10:54am On May 30, 2013
It goes to show us that our leaders do not want power supply problem resolved since it is an avenue to embezzle funds. If they make provision in the budget to cater for fueling generators in USA where power is stable, then we are a very long way to change.
Re: Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need by Originalsly: 10:54am On May 30, 2013
N8 million for generator in New York? The Nigerian consulate is renting space in a high rise building which has its own backup generator to supply electricity to the entire building. It would be illegal for the consulate to operate a generator within the building and the building owners would certainly kick them out if they did. Even so...they can't tamper with the electrical hardware of the building. Forget about blackouts or no blackouts...I would really like to hear them say where the generator is located.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aregbesola's New Gigantic Project. Check It Out / The Average Igbo Politician Is A Criminal And A Thief! / The Outcome Of The Emergency Meeting Of APC NWC On The Supreme court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.