Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,599 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily (15898 Views)

Photo: Flying Bird Fell & Turned Into A Young Girl In Ogun State / Vulcanizer Who Crashed Landed In Another Man's Car In Edo State / When Was The Last Time You Had N5 In Your Wallet? How Did You Spend It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 29, 2013
About 13 years ago, Samuel Tanimola ran away from home in Ifo, Ogun State, at the age of 10 years. He came to Lagos and settled down in Dopemu area of the state.

Tanimola, who is now a vulcaniser, told our correspondent that he was fed up with the living condition at home.

However, things were not as easy as he had hoped. He had no friend and knew nobody in the new place he found himself, yet he had to feed.

Tanimola joined hordes of street children roaming the streets and feeding through the use of their wits until he was eventually arrested by the Environmental Task force on Special Offences in 2004.

He said, "I ran away because I was not happy at home; it was a polygamous setting and my mum was not living with us.

"Although things were tough on the street, it was better than home. I even tried to escape when the police raided Dopemu that day. They grabbed as many of us as they could lay hands on and took us to the remand home at Oregun. I was so scared that I imagined the worst."

For two years, Tanimola remained at the Oregun Juvenile Centre under close supervision without any contact with the outside world.

Then in March 2006, Tanimola was transferred to the Correctional Centre for Senior Boys, Isheri, where he stayed another three years.

He said, "The centre at Isheri was much better than the one in Oregun. We were allowed to go out and then return to the centre. But at Oregun, we could not go out. It was while I was staying at Isheri that I decided to learn a trade and become a vulcanizer. I have no interest in school."

PUNCH Metro learnt that Tanimola was reunited with his family in 2009. His father did not, however, return to the centre after his first visit until November 2010, when his son was formally empowered to become self reliant.

Now 23 years, Tanimola plies his trade at the Vehicle Inspection Office at Ojodu, a place which he secured through the efforts of a permanent secretary at the Lagos State Ministry of Youths, Sports and Social Development.

He said, "I have moved out of the centre; I now live at Akute. Business is good; there are just two of us here. On a good day, I make as much as N5,000; sometimes N3,000, and on some days, nothing at all.

"On the whole, I can take care of myself. I used to think that it was over for me but now I am happy."

The Special Adviser to Lagos State Governor on Youths, Sports and Social Development, Dr. Enitan Badru, said, "About 10 to 20 children come into our correctional centres monthly- most of them minors, caught roaming the streets or even committing crimes. Those caught committing crimes, usually face the justice system.

"These children often run away from home or were brought to Lagos by relatives. Others, fed up with life in the village, heard of a place called Lagos and got into a bus to come here, sleeping under the bridges and motor parks.

"When these children are brought in, we try to trace their families and reunite them. When we are not able to do that, we go to the courts and secure the right to keep the child and find the best means to help the child live a fulfilled life."

He said Tanimola was an example of the fact that street children could be made to become useful citizens with love and patience.

http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/metro/i-make-n5000-daily-street-kid-turned-vulcaniser/

10 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 12:15pm On May 29, 2013
5k daily, that's a huge some of money! In a month, it's 150K.That is equivalent to another man's salary package who has a white collar job. Thumbs up to the LASG for keeping hopes of these young boys alive.

20 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by free2ryhme: 12:38pm On May 29, 2013
old gist

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by tomakint: 1:04pm On May 29, 2013
No wonder Rhino claims he has 'money' grin

6 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Garrithe1st: 1:14pm On May 29, 2013
tomakint: No wonder Rhino claims he has 'money' grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy

@Topic:
That's the beauty of self-employment. I hope those okada men are paying attention.

Go and acquire a skill.......

cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 29, 2013
tomakint: No wonder Rhino claims he has 'money' grin
please don't derail this thread it you got nothing reasonable to say. angry angry

5 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 29, 2013
There is dignity in labour.

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by tomakint: 2:09pm On May 29, 2013
berem: please don't derail this thread it you got nothing reasonable to say. angry angry
....and who is this? undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by bknight: 2:24pm On May 29, 2013
Garri the 1st:
... I hope those okada men are paying attention.

Go and acquire a skill.......

cool cool cool

Funny enough, many of these okada men acquired skills (some are welders, and other handy jobs) but many of thm for reasons (impatience, greed, laziness etc even unemployment )best known to them choose okada riding as means of livelihood... undecided

6 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Gbawe: 2:26pm On May 29, 2013
eGuerrilla: There is dignity in labour.

Indeed.

@Topic.

I personally wish the young man the best and hope he continues to make progress. Once again, one is reminded of how difficult things are for ordinary Nigerians.
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Ufeolorun(m): 11:51am On May 30, 2013
Tanimola
Name matters, sometimes.

Impressive

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 30, 2013
Eko oni BAJE
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Policewoman(f): 12:08pm On May 30, 2013
MORAL OF THE STORY: Allow your kids become Vulcanizers lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:08pm On May 30, 2013
THis is all thanks to the boys own effort. no one else has the right to claim to his success. the correction homes were infact preventing his progress.

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by ebamma3: 12:09pm On May 30, 2013
5k, make him shattap dia, na him be the only vulcaniser were dey lagos, even the street he is operating from will have atleast 3 other vulcanisers, lets say he pumps tire at 100 naira, the highest number of cars he pumps will not exceed 20 per day which equals 2k, that's on a good day
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by ITbomb(m): 12:09pm On May 30, 2013
I dont understand where these people keep their money.
You see a white collar employee with 120k per month as a big boy neatly dressed living large. 120/28 = 4300 (app)
But a driver would be making 5k daily after fueling, eating and settl;ing agberos , 5000 * 28 = 140k
But looking dirty
I dont know.

16 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 30, 2013
He makes more than I do undecided
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 30, 2013
adaobi123: He makes more than I do undecided
you can still change your vocation... grin

3 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Acidosis(m): 12:12pm On May 30, 2013
berem: 5k daily, that's a huge some of money! In a month, it's 150K.That is equivalent to another man's salary package who has a white collar job. Thumbs up to the LASG for keeping hopes of these young boys alive.

Nah... Won't you pay rents; abi Lagos state government dey give free land? Free electricity?

What matters is the ROI not the amount you count. You can make N10,000 in one day and spend all on fuel!

2 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nairaplus(m): 12:12pm On May 30, 2013
Vulcanizing! On top of my watch list now. Packaging Next! grin
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 12:12pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: you can still change your vocation... grin

I will cry undecided
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Eneze1(f): 12:17pm On May 30, 2013
good for him
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Acidosis(m): 12:19pm On May 30, 2013
ITbomb: I dont understand where these people keep their money.
You

Lmao! some makes N10,000 in one day.

But they spend most on rents, bills, transport etc..
na that time you go see madam wey dey sell suya, rice. They keep buying all these everyday..

I'll rather sit in a fully air conditioned office that pays N100K/month than a N5000K/day in a place where I'll keep paying for fuel, rents and bills.

Nevertheless; I'm a preacher of Self reliance but only when competent individuals are involved.. Those with business sense and passion.

2 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by mu2sa2: 12:20pm On May 30, 2013
If on the average he earns 3000 naira daily, he'll be making like 80,000 naira monthly (takng into account off days). A single making this much should not be classified as poor. Yet the UN will classify people like this as living on less than one dollar a day.

3 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by sandraLuv2(f): 12:22pm On May 30, 2013
Lucrative
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 12:22pm On May 30, 2013
Wonderful story. Interesting and inspiring. People should rather learn from this, instead of castigating or derailing.

It mustn't be vulcanizing, you can explore several other areas of life that requires service rendering, using this story as an inspiration.

If we had read that the guy turned armed robber, everyone of us would have been commenting excitedly with solutions and blames.

Thanks @berem for sharing, I love this smiley
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 12:22pm On May 30, 2013
adaobi123:

I will cry undecided
good luck

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by onila(f): 12:23pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Eko oni BAJE
grin
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by naptu2: 12:24pm On May 30, 2013
[size=14pt]No Hiding Place For Beggars —fashola[/size] by Eko Ile: 5:16pm On Feb 16]

The war against begging in Lagos rages on as Governor Babatunde Fashola has vowed to eradicate all forms of begging in the state.

The governor stated that the law against begging must be enforced to ensure that beggars were stamped out of the streets of Lagos as their activities constituted nuisance to the public and the government.
Gov. Babatunde Raji, rages war against begging in the state

Gov. Babatunde Raji, rages war against begging in the state

[b]Fashola, who spoke after he visited the State Remand Home and Skill Acquisition Centre, Isheri, and the premises of Eko Transport in Oshodi on Thursday, said there was no reason why people should beg for alms on the streets of Lagos when they could easily learn some vocational skills.

“When we say people shouldn’t beg on our street, we mean it. The reason is that begging is not an option here. Everyone must contribute to this economy and those who have drug problem or illness have the choice to visit our remand homes where we feed them, rehabilitate and treat them.

“So, we have provided a choice and there is a law against street begging and we will enforce it,” he stated.

The governor added that several people had been trained at the vocational centres and had become very useful to the society, stressing that those begging for alms could also make themselves available for training in order to become useful to the society as well.

He explained that the Lagos State Remand Home and Skill Acquisition Centre, Isheri was developed over the last years essentially out of nothing. This, he attributed to the hard work by the deputy governor and her team.

The governor said the Wood Work section at the centre was where a lot of the state’s school furniture and stuff were being made currently, adding that the boots worn by officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority and Neighbourhood Watch were being made at the footwear centre.

“We have been to the refrigeration unit of the centre where they teach them basic refrigeration, maintenance, operational and management skills. We also saw the centre where the young ladies were making foot mats, dresses and all of that. They would move on as they finish to the African Growth Opportunities Act Centre (AGOA) in collaboration with the US Government where they can begin to export some of their work,” he said.

Fashola explained how the centre played a key role in developing skilled manpower even from among the indigent, saying that, “clearly, they are products of our technical colleges and also destitute and people with drug problems taken through rehabilitation and introduced to the Centres to learn a skill and go back and become useful members of the society.”[/b]

—Kazeem Ugbodaga

https://www.nairaland.com/1198269/no-hiding-place-beggars-fashola

2 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by yuzedo: 12:28pm On May 30, 2013
i no dis bois. i gived him my jip to pomp d tyre, he didnot return my jip till is too late to go for presidenttal dinner in Eko hottel near Eko Atlantick! angry

am tinkin of bying land in Eko Atlantick for my geust house man shun wit pent house. wink

9 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 12:29pm On May 30, 2013
onila: grin
cool
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by onila(f): 12:30pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: cool
smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Some One Please Save Ymodulus / Help: My Longi Prepaid Meter Is Not Supplying Light / BVN Linking Issues: How To Effect Change Of Name In Nigerian Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.