Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,250 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily (15908 Views)

Photo: Flying Bird Fell & Turned Into A Young Girl In Ogun State / Vulcanizer Who Crashed Landed In Another Man's Car In Edo State / When Was The Last Time You Had N5 In Your Wallet? How Did You Spend It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by naptu2: 2:05pm On May 30, 2013
naptu2: Skills Acquisition Centers. The Lagos State Skills Acquisition Centers are set up for people who do not have jobs, to enable them to learn skills that will enable them earn a living. Any unemployed person can attend the skills acquisition centres, but there is also a special set of people who are sent to the centres by the government after being screened. These set of people are the area boys, homeless, street traders, beggars, etc.

Below is the process for the special class of attendees:

[size=14pt]The Process[/size]

1)The environmental laws of Lagos State (laws against street trading, begging, etc) have been in place at least since the 1970s (probably earlier). They've been reviewed quite a number of times (Akhigbe, Rasaki, Tinubu).

2) The process was fully established by the Tinubu Administration.

3) Beggars, street traders, destitutes, area boys, psychotics, etc are arrested by the Task Force on Environmental Offences.

4) They are given a choice: (a) go to prison (b) go to rehabilitation centre (c) return to your state of origin.

A) The law stipulates punishment for those who commit these offences. They include prison term, fine, forfeiture of goods.

B) Rehabilitation centres were set up (the most famous/infamous was at Ita-Oko Island). At the centres the inmates are sorted. They are tested for drugs. Those who are drug addicts are detoxified. Those who have mental illnesses are sent to the asylum. The inmates (apart from the lunatics) are then taught skills (skills acquisition centre) so that they'll be able to earn a living. When they complete the course, they are given a loan with which they will start a business and made to sign an undertaking that they will not return to the streets.

C) Return: Those who choose to return are transported to their state of origin. The state government is usually informed ahead of time (although I know of 3 instances in which their state governments claimed that they were not informed) so that they can make arrangements to cater for the people. Most of the people who have chosen to return are from the northern part of the country (note: they chose to return).

naptu2: Students of the skills acquisition centres make the costumes that are used for the annual Lagos Carnival, while sponsors of the carnival bear the cost (participants in the carnival are given the costumes for free).

Upon graduation they are given interest free loans by the Lagos Micro-Finance Institution (LASMI).
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Fhemmmy: 2:08pm On May 30, 2013
berem: 5k daily, that's a huge some of money! In a month, it's 150K.That is equivalent to another man's salary package who has a white collar job. Thumbs up to the LASG for keeping hopes of these young boys alive.

Read the part where he said sometimes, he made 3K and some days nothing at all . . . But in all, if he invest well, kudos to him
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by tomakint: 2:09pm On May 30, 2013
cool
Rhino.5dm:

No, He wasn't!! Go through his posting history. This is not the first time he's doing such. I had to come hard on him. am waiting and ready for him.
Son, you have a big problem you need to work on! I can't count the number of times you have called me unprintable names here and did u see me 'barking' like you always do? There is no shame in being a vulcanizer cheesy clearly you missed the joke! One more thing, give not your strength to women especially on a faceless forum like this wink
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 2:13pm On May 30, 2013
thelastpope10:

The way most of you ACN sycophants display your hipocrisy on NL is alarming! Was it not on this same forum you lost kept saying Nigerians are living on 1 dollar a day? And when some of us told you lot it was a lie, you all kept raining insults just because you need to get something to discredit GEJ? So how come you now believe this story and even went on to praise LASG for it as if LASG pays for the pumping of tyres?

It is sad that today you guys wake up and talk bad of something to discredit GEJ, then turn round to applaud it tomorrow to promote Fashola! Is this your idea of opposition? No love for your country. A group of people who will wish Nigerians perish just so they can say the government is bad. Very shameful!
well written!

that's why i hate this acn/cpc apologists that cannot different between bring Nigeria down and bring pdp down, they dont know how to go about the opposition thing, that's why i call them hypocrites. though i like fashola, the only capable guy in my book but this acn/cpc apologists stink if this happens to be on gej side, you will see them flocking to bad mouth it but because it's fashola now, its a welcome development
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Ponel: 2:14pm On May 30, 2013
Please does any1 hv an idea how much vulcanizer machine cost, and where I can get one to buy
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 30, 2013
9jadelta: very true. I know one brick layer like that in lagos, he earns around 8k daily but this guy has 3wives 7children and he is still contemplating about marrying another wife. A young boy like that

You know, due to the nature of most day pay jobs (vulcanizing, driving, road side mechanic, road side welder, etc), they look dirty and hence, most ordinary Nigerian girls don't always give them attention or chance of love, so they often times depend solely on ashawo for love and affection.

And these ashawo girls do milk them dry. I confronted one that works for us one day like that and while he was laughing, his friend opened up:

Oga, this guy u see here de give one ashawo girl 2k every day, and no be only that one o, she de give another one money too o, ashawo don finish am as u see him so o.

That was the fourth time I realized why most day pay workers don't have good savings or investments at the end of the day.
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Fhemmmy: 2:17pm On May 30, 2013
Ponel: Please does any1 hv an idea how much vulcanizer machine cost, and where I can get one to buy

If you have the fund to get the mechanized ones, i am sure you would do so well . . . But if you cant get those, you could start small too but have no clue the cost . . . Also, cos the kid is doing well does not mean everyone would and does not mean you wont . . . .
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Fhemmmy: 2:19pm On May 30, 2013
DailyNews:

You know, due to the nature of most day pay jobs (vulcanizing, driving, road side mechanic, road side welder, etc), they look dirty and hence, most ordinary Nigerian girls don't always give them attention or chance of love, so they often times depend solely on ashawo for love and affection.

And these ashawo girls do milk them dry. I confronted one that works for us one day like that and while he was laughing, his friend opened up:

Oga, this guy u see here de give one ashawo girl 2k every day, and no be only that one o, she de give another one money too o, ashawo don finish am as u see him so o.

That was the fourth time I realized why most day pay workers don't have good savings or investments at the end of the day.

It will take only one of them to change such . . . I remember when a lady will NEVER touch anything mechanical in Nigeria, now i read the story of one lady in Nigeria that is giving men a tough time in that industry cos she is making it big time with so many learners under her.
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by naptu2: 2:25pm On May 30, 2013
Tekunle is an island in the Lekki Lagoon. It was known as "The Place of No Return" because of the inhospital environment surrounding the island. The military governments used it as a detention camp/prison where politicians and other political prisoners were detained (some called it Nigeria's Alcatraz).

The Federal Government gave the island back to the state government when military rule ended. The Tinubu Administration decided to build a rehabilitation camp for area boys, beggars, the homeless, etc on the island. This is the story of the fire on the island. The centre has since been rebuilt by the Fashola administration.

mekusxxx: Print version ‘Area Boys’ Burn Rehabilitation Centre
February 17, 2010 17:16, 105 views

By Kazeem Ugbodaga

The multi-million naira Lagos State Rehabilitation and Skills Acquisition Centre, Tekunle, Lagos State has been burnt by area boys taken to the centre for rehabilitation.

The centre was built by former Governor Bola Tinubu about six years ago to rehabilitate area boys and drug addicts arrested on the streets of Lagos.

Tekunle is an Island at a remote area of Lekki and has often been described as a ‘place of no return’ because of its inaccessibility.

Area boys taken to the Island, after sometime adjust to the environment and learn useful skills such as tailoring, carpentry, vulcanizing, among others for a period of nine months after which they are sent back into the society to live meaningful lives.

However, P.M.NEWS gathered that scores of area boys sent for rehabilitation went on the rampage recently and razed the centre.

Equipment bought with millions of naira and the buildings in the centre were burnt by the area boys, bringing to an end the rehabilitation programme of the Lagos State Government for social miscreants.

It could not be ascertain why the area boys went on the rampage.

P.M.NEWS gathered, however, that the trainees revolted when they were being flogged for refusing to carry out certain instruction.

Officers of the Lagos State Taskforce on Environment and Special Offences unit, it was further learnt, saved the day as they stormed the centre and arrested scores of the area boys who carried out the act.

Chairman of the Task Force, Bayo Sulaiman, when contacted told P.M.NEWS that those arrested had been charged to the Tapa Customary Court, Lagos Island for arson.

He disclosed that the suspects were currently being remanded at the Ikoyi Prisons, adding that the state’s Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Supo Sasore, was handling the case for the government.

When asked to give details on how the area boys burnt the centre, he declined, saying that our reporter should go to the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Social Development to get such information.

When contacted, the Permanent Secretary, Mr. Kamal Junaid said: “I don’t know anything about it; you can contact the Public Relations Officer or the Special Adviser to the Governor on Youth, Sports and Social Development.”

Special Adviser to the Governor on Youth, Sports and Social Development, Dr. Dolapo Badru, could not be reached.

One of his aides who picked the call said his boss was in a meeting and that we should call later.

Since the inception of the centre, about four sets of area boys had been rehabilitated and empowered to live meaningful lives in the society.

Some of them had told stories of their wretched past and how their lives changed when they were rehabilitated at the training centre.

With the burning of the centre, it appears the laudable plan of the state government to rehabilitate the notorious area boys has been dealt a mortal blow.

https://www.nairaland.com/400138/area-boys-lagos-ibadan-action
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 30, 2013
At least he's self employed cheesy

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 30, 2013
ebamma 3: 5k, make him shattap dia, na him be the only vulcaniser were dey lagos, even the street he is operating from will have atleast 3 other vulcanisers, lets say he pumps tire at 100 naira, the highest number of cars he pumps will not exceed 20 per day which equals 2k, that's on a good day

DO YOU OWN A CAR?

BECAUSE I SPENT 1K TODAY ON TIRE ALONE.
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 30, 2013
berem: You are correct! I can also attest that most of them don't even have bank accounts.
that's the absolute truth. Once again, thanks for sharing the wonderful story.
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Emmykeyz(m): 2:44pm On May 30, 2013
Na im I come dry parade with my CCNA CCNSP MCTS cv dey find job abi?!
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Rhino5dm: 2:47pm On May 30, 2013
tomakint: cool
Son, you have a big problem you need to work on! I can't count the number of times you have called me unprintable names here and did u see me 'barking' like you always do? There is no shame in being a vulcanizer cheesy clearly you missed the joke! One more thing, give not your strength to women especially on a faceless forum like this wink

He he he. . .Now he's begging. Brouhaha!!!

Dude, don't mess with me. Go ask your GOD late BEAF cool

I can still give you a nice job in PH, but it has nothing to do with catching monkeys or chasing gorillas. A place with international reputation. Think about it and PM me. There is a very big project, EGINA taking off and can run up to 4 years +, I can fix you in a place you'd make 200k + every month and accommodation. Though, the figure is not that much but I think working in a multinational with a start up of 200k and prospect of raising is far better than chasing monkeys around. cool

Dude, I change your life and make you a happy man cool

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by tomakint: 2:55pm On May 30, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

He he he. . .Now he's begging. Brouhaha!!!

Dude, don't mess with me. Go ask your GOD late BEAF cool

I can still give you a nice job in PH, but it has nothing to do with catching monkeys or chasing gorillas. A place with international reputation. Think about it and PM me. There is a very big project, EGINA taking off and can run up to 4 years +, I can fix you in a place you'd make 200k + every month and accommodation. Though, the figure is not that much but I think working in a multinational with a start up of 200k and prospect of raising is far better than chasing monkeys around. cool

Dude, I change your life and make you a happy man cool
Dude, are you trying to pacify me or what? undecided with your I can do this, I can buy this, I am comfortable my G! Just PM me let me teach you how to be contented in life instead of this fake life you are portraying online my V cheesy
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Rhino5dm: 3:02pm On May 30, 2013
tomakint:
Dude, are you trying to pacify me or what? undecided with your I can do this, I can buy this, I am comfortable my G! Just PM me let me teach you how to be contented in life instead of this fake life you are portraying online my V cheesy

Comfortable by chasing monkeys around? Dude, remember we are from thesame town? I can't watch my brother continue with monkey business or hawking e-books.

Think about what to tell your children, bro!
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by lekkie073(m): 3:02pm On May 30, 2013
ebamma 3: 5k, make him shattap dia, na him be the only vulcaniser were dey lagos, even the street he is operating from will have atleast 3 other vulcanisers, lets say he pumps tire at 100 naira, the highest number of cars he pumps will not exceed 20 per day which equals 2k, that's on a good day
He plies his trade in the vio office.....have u ever experience ur car being towed to vio office? If yes, then u shd know that vulcanizers in such environs make more than what he informed
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by amiskurie(m): 3:48pm On May 30, 2013
some pple still dnt realize that street is where the money at.
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by tomakint: 3:54pm On May 30, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Comfortable by chasing monkeys around? Dude, remember we are from thesame town? I can't watch my brother continue with monkey business or hawking e-books.

Think about what to tell your children, bro!

Trust me if you want that book for free no lele, it will help you a lot cheesy and did you see any forest in that cool office you saw my profile pix on my FB? undecided na you dey make me dey yab you? I am into anything IT what is ur stuff dude?
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 4:04pm On May 30, 2013

so all a vulcanizer does is just inflate tires? u know how much it costs to replace all four tires of a vehicle? or to mend a damaged tire?
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by vivaciousvivi(f): 4:12pm On May 30, 2013
yuzedo: i no dis bois. i gived him my jip to pomp d tyre, he didnot return my jip till is too late to go for presidenttal dinner in Eko hottel near Eko Atlantick! angry

am tinkin of bying land in Eko Atlantick for my geust house man shun wit pent house. wink

Stop lying Yudezo, we all know that the boy in question is actually you! grin

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Exponental(m): 4:15pm On May 30, 2013
berem: 5k daily, that's a huge some of money! In a month, it's 150K.That is equivalent to another man's salary package who has a white collar job. Thumbs up to the LASG for keeping hopes of these young boys alive.
it's obvious u didnt read through d post.
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Inoknowbook: 4:16pm On May 30, 2013

Read the article once more, especially the portion about his earnings, before you unwittingly send armed robbers after him.

3 Likes

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Fhemmmy: 4:18pm On May 30, 2013
I no know book:

Read the article once more and get what the guy actually said, before you send armed robbers after him unknowingly.

Lol . . .

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by lekkie073(m): 4:20pm On May 30, 2013
I no know book:

Read the article once more, especially the portion about his earnings, before you unwittingly send armed robbers after him.
grin
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by omotayos01(m): 4:29pm On May 30, 2013
DailyNews:

Their problem isn't bills and rents like you said @Acid, its stupidity most times.

I know one that does some minor tech work for us, he earns big income, but his wahala is that he spends so much money on ashawo girls.

These guys give women money more than oil company workers, and that's why ashawo girls don't take their eyes off them.

Some keep not just one or two ashawo girlfriends, but up to 5, and most times they are the ones taking care of these ashawo girls' daily upkeep, so tell me how they would save

That's one major problem with day pay earners (drivers, especially truck drivers, road side technicians, et al)- they always earn bigger income than salary earners, but they spend stupidly, especially on:

Women
Alcohol
Gambling
u av said it al, alchohol and women is wat take dier and dat y u c som of dem dres as almajiri y makin 5k each day
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by tomakint: 4:33pm On May 30, 2013
I no know book:

grin grin grin
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by yuzedo: 4:46pm On May 30, 2013
vivacious vivi:

*pips profile big brezz check, big nyash check, ice cream lap check tongue*

Ok swerry, I hav to confess. Gimme yo numba so I can talk truth once & four all! Plis PM me wink
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Godsun(m): 5:12pm On May 30, 2013

He said his workshop is at VIO office Ojodu, deflated tyres at FRSC or VIO offices are pumped at the rate of N250 per tyre. 2 or the 4 tyres of the vehicle impounded are usually deflated. So imagined pumping just 10vehicles per day; N250*2 tyres*10vehicles= N5000. I am nt saying the story is true or false bt I am saying it could be true.

1 Like

Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Rhino5dm: 5:12pm On May 30, 2013
tomakint:
Trust me if you want that book for free no lele, it will help you a lot cheesy and did you see any forest in that cool office you saw my profile pix on my FB? undecided na you dey make me dey yab you? I am into anything IT what is ur stuff dude?

My stuff? I represent clients on projects, basically multinationals.
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 30, 2013
vivacious vivi:

Lol. the boy z actually yuzedo's 'oga'.
Re: Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily by coolchimex: 5:17pm On May 30, 2013
As much I am impressed with the boy's progress, he really needs to go back to school (at least on a part time basis). The benefits of an education is too much to ignore even if na Secondary School. But then will he allow himself to look and think beyond the money he is making and go to school? It's his decision to make.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do U Quote Someone In Nland / Epic Fail Pictures / Hah!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.