Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,518 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? (8248 Views)

REFUSAL Of Visa And Seizure Of Passport By UK Embassy / I Was Denied Visa At French Embassy For This Reason.... / 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by Akolawole(m): 5:13pm On Apr 29, 2008
How sad can it be when people fly six hours from Nigeria to Uk, was not allowed to enter. Visa cancelled and paasenger returned back to Nigeria if not jailed.

Here is a thread that will be a great help to Visa applicants probably a cursed thread to Lagos visa agents, who i hold responsible for a larger percentage of this mess.

Visa can be cancelled for many reason(s). Few scenarios are stated below:

1) Mrs Aje is a Physiotherapist in an unnamed Lagos hospital. She sought help from a  Lagos visa agent to help her with necessary papers for a visit visa. A fee was charged and the application was successful. She travelled to UK and came back to Naija after 14 days. She re-apply for the visa and was granted as well.
On her second trip, she was drilled by immigration officer at heathrow. One of the simple question they ask her was "whats your profession ?" She answered "Physio". Unknown to her, the agent filled her in as "housewife". Her 2 years visa was cancelled and she was returned to Nigeria.

More to come and more can be added by all
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by VOR(m): 5:29pm On Apr 29, 2008
Ako,

An interesting thread, however in the example you have given I doubt any reasonable Immigration officer
would cancel a visa for that SOLE reason. I strongly suspect that there were other issues that arose which
resulted in the cancellation.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by Akolawole(m): 5:42pm On Apr 29, 2008
@VOR

It was real.

The officer just suspect some things were not right.

She's a genuine visitor and on that day she was holding £2,000 to spend sef.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by VOR(m): 5:51pm On Apr 29, 2008
Ako,

I'm sure it was real, however if an Immigration officer is going to cancel a visa he has to justify it in writing
and I can't see how such a officer would have justified a cancellation by saying something like;

"in your visa application form you claimed to be a housewife, however you are now claiming to be a physiotherapist, I therefore cancel your visa."

Naaa check it out Ako, there will be more to it I am certain.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by Akolawole(m): 6:15pm On Apr 29, 2008
@VOR

The officer ask one question and he smelled something.

Ask for her file in Lagos which was faxed immediately.

Inconsistencies compelled the guy to cancel the visa.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by pahtahkee: 6:20pm On Apr 29, 2008
@ VOR,

Immigration officers have the sole right to cancel visas at the port of entry. I am 100% sure of that one. wink
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by pahtahkee: 6:26pm On Apr 29, 2008
@ Topic,

I have a friend who was going to enter the UK for the first time. She got her 6months visiting visa based on a letter of reconsideration which I drafted for her, she was almost going to be rejected and thrown back to Nigeria simply because she did not have a letter stating her case was reconsidered by the Deputy High Commission in Lagos.

She was lucky enough to have a copy of the letter of invitation by her UK sponsors with her on hand to be able to gain entrance to the UK.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by LondonCool(m): 6:27pm On Apr 29, 2008
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by pahtahkee: 6:44pm On Apr 29, 2008
@ Akolawole,

Which year is this incidence that you talk of? I am very sure there should have been no need for a fax when it can easily be retrieved from their database.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by LondonCool(m): 6:46pm On Apr 29, 2008
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by pahtahkee: 7:55pm On Apr 29, 2008
LondonCool:

I've met a passenger who tried to bluff that he was a UBA employee. I asked him to mention the name of his MD-he mentioned Mr Williams.I asked him what is the current value of the UBA shares currently on Public Offer-he said N2.Where in the Bank do you work? I work in the Economics department and I drive their Bullion Van.Are you a Driver or a Banker? A Driver-Banker.Back to Nigeria he went.

Londoncool, many thanks for your always insightful and deep knowledge that your posts often times displays in matters pertaining to UK Immigration. However, it is immigration officers like you that keep on us on our toes for those you give anillegal deportation. grin

Back to the passenger as quoted above, the passenger clearly stated that he was a UBA employee, how then are you bothered whether he was a Driver or a Banker? Did you run a check on his application with the consulate from which he applied from to verify the veracity of his claims?

Except if there is an outright discrimination that drivers are not entitled to a visit to the UK. grin I am still not in the clear, what manner of false representation he has stated.

1 Like

Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by brownbonno(m): 8:35pm On Apr 29, 2008
Londoncool,
Good talk.

pahtahkee,

FYI

MD and CEO of United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, Tony Elumelu

A bullion Driver working in Economics department of a bank ??

Think twice on this and put the jigsaw together.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by LondonCool(m): 8:45pm On Apr 29, 2008
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by Tats(m): 9:30pm On Apr 29, 2008
Many of our people are not careful in making travel arrangements or responding to questions at point of entries. We really do not have a good reputation when it comes to travelling, as a result we and our luggage frequently go through careful scrutiny at various airports when we tender our passport. Any slight inconsistency or seemingly questionable response and you are flagged for extra questions and scrutiny. I still get asked a few questions when I go in and out of the UK and still respond with care. Sometimes it is even in your interest that they ask these questions as your identity may be stolen and used to gain entry into the UK, particularly when Biometric details are not in use.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by LondonCool(m): 9:44pm On Apr 29, 2008
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by pahtahkee: 10:12pm On Apr 29, 2008
LondonCool:

@pahtahkee,

I didn't need to run a check on his application. He had a credibility problem. I didn't believe whom he said he was,it was left for him to prove me wrong. I worked in the banking sector in Naija/UK for over 8 years so I had an interest in his answers. If a Driver can prove he has the financial means of underwriting his trip to UK he will get a visa.When passengers are asked 'why they are visiting UK', they mainly say 'I am coming to rest'. The financial outlay for a 2 week Visit is around N370,000 to N450,000. Which category of Nigerians would easily fit that profile in terms of affordability? The job one does really matters.In other words, which category of workers would you deem credible enough to afford N450,000 to just come and 'rest' in UK on a Tourist/visit visa?. Traveling is about economics and finance.

Londoncool,

You are right with what you have stated here. However, I still have my areas of concern which still makes me see your decision as not fairly decided. (Just my own discretion though)

I clearly note that a visiting visa to the UK is not based on a specific category of pecunary value in respect to ones source of income. The onus is on the applicant to show there is sufficient fund to validate his/her stay in the UK for the stipulated time frame. Whether this is from the sponsor or the applicant. Also there are as well categories of visiting visa which are the Family Visit Visa, Academic visit visa, Medical Visit Visa and Business/Tourist Visa, WHM. . . . . . . . .

Now, I do not want to go into the intricasies of what each category of visas entails as I know you are versatile with such knowledge. But my point is that I do not know what knid of visiting he came for, but I do suppose he has sponsors residing in the UK, who are responsible for his visit supposing he came as a family visitor though. Or most likely he had ties to show where he do reside upon his stay in the UK.

Now my Grandmother or better still my younger cousin decides to come to the UK, would you suppose she has the stipulated range of money as you have stated here in her account before she can apply for a visit to the UK?

As for the driver-banker, I note that the onus is on him to prove his claims to be genuine and true, however you know that under such a case of which you were interviewing him, I would suppose he was under stress to be able to give a cogent response to your enquiries as demanded. My point is that, your single line of interview was not sufficient enough to send him back to Nigeria. wink tongue

I know you are right though, just trying to make you see another standpoint and view.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by VOR(m): 10:17pm On Apr 29, 2008
pahtahkee:

@ VOR,

Immigration officers have the sole right to cancel visas at the port of entry. I am 100% sure of that one. wink

I didn't say they didn't have the right. The point I was making was that the grounds for cancellation in that particular case appeared weak.
Also an Immigration officer cannot cancel or refuse a passenger without authorisation from a higher officer.Fact. wink
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by pahtahkee: 10:35pm On Apr 29, 2008
VOR:

I didn't say they didn't have the right. The point I was making was that the grounds for cancellation in that particular case appeared weak.
Also an Immigration officer cannot cancel or refuse a passenger without authorisation from a higher officer.Fact. wink
I clearly understood the grounds for cancellation in that case was weak. Fact. wink

As to an immigration officer not being able to cancel or refuse without authorisation from a higher officer, I clearly dispute that. Fact. wink

Does an Immigration Officer require a higher officer to give an authorisation before a passenger is allowed into the UK?
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by pahtahkee: 10:43pm On Apr 29, 2008
brownbonno:

Londoncool,
Good talk.

pahtahkee,

FYI

MD and CEO of United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, Tony Elumelu

A bullion Driver working in Economics department of a bank ??

Think twice on this and put the jigsaw together.
I have not worked in a bank, but are you telling me that a bullion driver can not be drafted to work in the Economics department of a bank?

The question the IO asked the passenger was: Who is the MD of UBA? It can only be plausible for such a person to deduce that Mr Williams was his own branch Manager, where he worked. undecided

I duly note there were inconsistencies with his interaction with the IO, however I do not believe that the inconsistencies noticed by the IO were sufficient enough to send the passenger back to Nigeria.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by VOR(m): 10:46pm On Apr 29, 2008
Pahtakee my bros,

An Immigration officer CANNOT refuse entry to a passenger without authorisation of the Chief immigration officer.
I am sure London cool will bear me out here.

If a passenger is stopped for further investigation and a notice to that effect is served on him/her then the chief
immigration officer will again have to give authorisation before that passenger is granted entry at the end of the investigation.

Passengers not subject to further investigation, the vast majority, will be granted entry by an immigration officer
without the need of further authorisation.

All the above is fact.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by funkybaby(f): 10:59pm On Apr 29, 2008
Yeah, i agree with akolawole on this one. Visa agents are often times responsible for the cancellation of visas at port of entry.

A friend suffered the same fate last year. He got his visa through an agent and he was adviced by his pastor not to tell anyone he was travelling until he had arrived UK. For someone that had never flown on a plane before, the visa agent did not tell him that he had to fill the landing card and the exact details to fill in and what questions to expect from the immigration officers .

At the port of entry,he was asked who his host in uk was (a family visit visa), he mentioned the visa agent's name (visa agent was born,bred and buttered in naija and only has a visiting visa on his passport). He was asked the address of where he would be staying-he mentioned london-no street address,no post code (he had an old classmate waiting for him at heathrow though with the intention of taking him to his crib), occupation of his host, he answered 'business man'. Anyway, to cut a long story short, visa was cancelled and he was deported back to naija.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by paribus(m): 11:03pm On Apr 29, 2008
Not to jump the gun with all the immigration heavyweighters assembled here. I found this document useful as it gives an extensive insight into how entry decisions are reached by the IOs and delves into the escalation hierarchy of the BIA or is it HO.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs07/rdsolr0107.pdf

On a digressing note, let me take the priviledge to request for a perusal of the question I asked on this other thread if you would please gentlemen and lady.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-130065.0.html

Muchas gracias.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by Akolawole(m): 11:03pm On Apr 29, 2008
LondonCool:

In the example you gave above, the Immigration Officer would not have known that the passenger put "housewife" in her first Visa Application Form (VAF) upon arrival at the immigration control as he would not have had access to such information there. However, if there were some credibility issues concerning the passenger at the immigration desk the immigration officer would issue the passenger with a Home Office Form IS81 notifying the passenger that she was going to be subjected to further examination/interrogation. It is at this point that the IO would go to the back-office and check on the BHC database which would bring up the passengers previous visa applications.

If the passenger stated that she had been a Physio for the past xxxx years and had never been a Housewife before (albeit,unknown to her that the Travel agent put that in her form), she could have her Visa cancelled for obtaining the recent visa using false information and deception. Where there are fundamental discrepancies in the Visa application form it counts against the passengers credibility.Although in the example you gave I believe that there must have been other bits and pieces of information that also counted against the passenger.

The IO would have asked her if she signed the Visa Application Form by herself.If the answer is "yes", then she would be bound by the legal document she signed-and not the agent.

The visa agent filled the entire form but she signed the form.

Lagos visa agents will not give you info about what they fill for ya. Ask viviko grin
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by Akolawole(m): 11:06pm On Apr 29, 2008
@Londoncool

I might have to be givenyou some DOB/Reference number to check up.

@Funky

We have suddenly become Lagos Visa agent enemy No 1.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by Akolawole(m): 11:30pm On Apr 29, 2008
Cancellation 2

Mr Kayode applied for a UK visa and was subsequently granted. His sponsor is in Nigeria. His visa was cancelled at UK port of Entry for silly reason.

IO: Who and where  is your sponsor?

Kayode: Seun Osewa, he is in Abeokuta

IO: How much money is on you now?

Kayode: £100

IO: What arrangement has your Sponsor made on your maintenance and did you have anyone to support you in UK?

Kayode: He will be sending money by bank transfer and via relatives

IO: You have just £100 on you

Kayode: Thats right

IO: Is there any money deposited in the college for your maintenance?

Kayode: No

The visa was cancelled for reason because of maintenance.

@Londoncool

Your people are harsh sha
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by funkybaby(f): 11:55pm On Apr 29, 2008
@akolawole

Kayode's visa cancellation is justified. Kai, Seun most be stingy grin Giving a student just £100 (probably his first time of going to UK). That sum as PTA is way too low.

I have heard stories of Nigerian immigration officers at MMA harassing people especially first time travellers on the amount of PTA they are travelling along with.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by pahtahkee: 11:58pm On Apr 29, 2008
@ Paribus,

Thanks for the link. Where have you been all this while? Anyway hope you are doing great and well.

@ Funky,
Visa agents, their story is something else for another time. I have two of my dads friends who are sworn enemies today, thanks to a visa agent. My father tried to be a peacemaker to settle their fight, but it was not possible. Both of them are resident in the UK now, but no more friendship again. Infact if I begin to mention stories of visa agents and their atrocities, wahala go burst. grin
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by pahtahkee: 12:01am On Apr 30, 2008
VOR:

Pahtakee my bros,

An Immigration officer CANNOT refuse entry to a passenger without authorisation of the Chief immigration officer.
I am sure London cool will bear me out here.

If a passenger is stopped for further investigation and a notice to that effect is served on him/her then the chief
immigration officer will again have to give authorisation before that passenger is granted entry at the end of the investigation.

Passengers not subject to further investigation, the vast majority, will be granted entry by an immigration officer
without the need of further authorisation.

All the above is fact.

For the sake of being on the same wing constantly, I will not continue with the argument. Though I think you are slightly right though. angry grin
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by Akolawole(m): 12:04am On Apr 30, 2008
@Funky

Please check your mail NOW.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by Akolawole(m): 12:07am On Apr 30, 2008
@Pataki

We must not spare them.

For the sake of God.

It is very important.

This thread will help thousands most expecially all these "I must travel abroad" guys.
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by LondonCool(m): 12:12am On Apr 30, 2008
Re: Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? by Akolawole(m): 12:20am On Apr 30, 2008
@LC

Thanks for your analysis.

In that "How much is available bla bla bla ?"

Does that mean NOW NOW or during the course of study?

(1) (2) (Reply)

It Is Easier To Live In Nigeria Without A Job Than In The Uk. Share Your Views / LASG To Acquire More Electric BRT Buses - Jubril Gawat / New Visa Rules To Work And Study In Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.