Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,081 members, 7,859,918 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 09:25 PM

Fear vs Faith and Love - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fear vs Faith and Love (446 Views)

Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? / Discussion Between Professor And Student About God, Faith And Science. / I Am A Christian And Love God But I Still Keep Fornicating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fear vs Faith and Love by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 30, 2013
It wasn’t so long ago that the issue I found myself writing, preaching and posting about most often was the fear of the Lord, and furthermore the lack of fear that seems to be displayed amongst His people. One of the ways I would do this was to highlight the very narrow way which leads to life, according to Christ’s words.

Mat 7: 13“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to LIFE, and only a few find it.

There is a place for fear in our faith. Those who are called in Christ should earnestly seek to grasp the weightiness and narrowness of this narrow way. Many will stand disappointed as Christ refuses entry to many who had sought to enter by this narrow gate.

The parable of the virgins is one such parable that seeks to instil a recognition that all those who think they enter, will not. In accordance with Christ’s words “many shall come to Me in that day saying Lord, Lord – And I will say depart from Me, you who work iniquity, I never knew you”

To be sure, there is a great blessing for those who fear the Lord. The scriptures promise time and time again the blessing for those who fear Him. I don’t doubt this one bit.

But I want to share what I have come to understand. If the fear of God in you, is greater than the love of God in you, then we may not come to maturity in Christ. And we may well remain outside the kingdom and not enter.

John alludes to this issue of fear and love in the following verse ;

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. 1John 4:18

Having spent many years amongst God’s people who are continually beckoned to grasp this fear of the Lord, I have seen something quite astounding. Fear of being judged and punished by God produces a torment, which rarely manifests as the righteousness that Christ demonstrates. It may produce a Pharisaical kind of works based righteousness, but unless our righteousness exceed this, we shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.

This fear of severe punishment may in fact motivate one to flee sins of the flesh and spirit. It also motivates one to be concerned with the outward appearance, lest we be seen and judged by our brothers, but again there is little inward life produced if we remove it from the context of God’s redemptive love in Christ.

From my experience an unbalanced perspective on fear and love doesn’t produce the LIFE which I see Christ alluding to as evidence for those who enter by the narrow gate.

In it’s extreme form - the fear of eternal torment and the accompanying legalistic interpretations of scripture by Christian cults only ever shut men in. There is no freedom, no life. In their fear they will not go out, they will not love the lost, they fear stumbling and establish themselves a hedge from the world lest they also stumble into judgement and torment. This fear does not seek the good of others first, it thinks more highly of itself, it protects itself, it bares nothing, believes nothing, and denies this one biblical truth ; Love never fails.

It is this kind of fear; a fear which is exceedingly greater than love, that fails to go on and produce LIFE in the hearer. And if there is no LIFE in Christ, I imagine that neither do we enter by the narrow gate.

By all means allow fear to motivate you to flee your filthiness of the flesh and spirit as Paul alludes to, but perceive this; only the love of God in Christ will produce in your life the Christlike character that God would desire for His children.

Let’s pick up on a few of Paul’s words on this issue.

Ephesians 3:17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 18And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

Do we want to be complete with the fullness of LIFE and power that comes from God? Is there any one of us who would not desire to be complete, with all of the fullness of life and power, which comes from God? I’m pretty sure that most people who are reading this post would say “yes and amen” to this.

It’s important not to miss a particular point Paul is trying to make in this verse. Reading this verse and three other version of this verse you will see an amazing truth alluded to in this statement of Paul’s. This love which we are encouraged to know;

Is too difficult to understand fully (NLT)
It surpasses knowledge (ESV)
It transcends knowledge (ISV)
It exceeds knowledge (YLT)

And this my dear friends is why the letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life.

For too long, many good and faithful men have failed to perceive that the nature and character of God is love. We cannot understand it with our carnal mind. For the carnal mind sets itself at enmity with God. The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit for they are folly to him.

The true measure of God’s word can only be perceived in the light of His spirit and His truth must be revealed according to this measure, and all other attempts to grasp this love will fail for flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor can it perceive the mystery of the Kingdom in all of it’s fulness.

This is why James warns us not to be deceived – Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

If you have not been able to grasp the height, the depth, the width and the length of His love, this love which surpasseth understanding. Then take heed from my experience and the experience of many who have awakened to their folly.

Love is the final fight – thankyou John M Perkins.

Mathew 24:11 Many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

You will note what it is that leads to this “final fight” It is the result of many false prophets appearing and deceiving many people. These false prophets will come to the people who God has called and undermine the true nature and character of God. When this foundation is undermined it taints the lens through which we view this gospel and world. A legalistic and judgmental message will cause men to refrain from loving others. This lawlessness will cause our love to grow cold.

But He that endures to the end shall be saved (sozo). Saved from what? Saved from the penalties of the messianic judgment.

By all means allow fear to motivate you to holiness, allow fear to remind us that we will all stand before the Lord and give an account of our lives. But remember that the fruit of the Spirit is Love, etc….. AGAINST SUCH THERE IS NO LAW.

It is the Spirit at work within, producing fruit in accordance with righteousness that will keep us safe, and we have no need to fear, for the love of our father is perfect.

‘No greater love have any man than this, that he should lay his life down for his friends”

http://fleethewrath./2012/08/

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Our Musician Not Doing Any Thing To Help Change The World / Christ is Coming Soon for Believers (E - Comic) / The Religious Discussion!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.