Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life (11873 Views)

Nigeria Airforce Recruitment 2016 Exercise(a Case Study Of 2014 Recruitment). / Job Seeker Who Yelled At Country's President For Help Gets Juicy Job (photo) / Dear Job Seeker, Don't Think Yourself Into Depression (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by assalaamat(m): 7:48pm On May 30, 2013
Enough Is Enough;a Case Study Of My Life

Fellow nairalanders, it would be very nice of you to help me with your candid and useful advice so as not to go astray. As you all know, this is not my first time of asking for your brotherly and sisterly advice on this great platform, but I want this to take me to my pomiseland this coming month.

It happened that on the 21st of February, 2012 when I came back from my Youth Service, I had about #96,000 in my bank account which I was able to save from my govt. allowee, though it should have been #186,000, but because while in service my mother got herself involved in a thrift cooperative debt of about #80,000 which really caused her a lot of embarrassment and humiliation. Though, I have elderly ones but none was willing to put down anything, so I had no option than to give her a sum of #90,000 to clear the debt, and to tell you the fact, I didn't regret doing that at all, because I believe it was God's doing. So after the whole thing and before coming back home from service in Kogi state, I called my elder sister and informed her that I wanted to use the remaining money in my account to get an apartment in Ibadan or Osogbo because I believed if I relocated to either of those cities I would get a job even though I do not know anyone there, since these are the cities that I would love to start raising my own family after service, but she convinced me to come back to Lagos to search for job.

My dear brothers and sisters! That was how I came back to lag on the 21st of February, 2012, and started searching for teaching jobs that I love with great passion, but because I have an HND, I couldn't get any, so I had to turn my searchlight on other jobs, but uptil this moment I've not been able to secure one, but before i knew it, I had finished the whole money touring the entire cities of lagos and ogun states searching for jobs.

It's been 1yr 3months now that I've been at home doing nothing, and I want this to stop bcs i'm really really tired of sitting at home idle.So i've made up my mind to try and gather some money to travel to either Ibadan or Osogbo to find a menial job like security job, housekeeping job or cleaning job and use whatever I'm able to make from it to train myself in computer engineering which is the only self-employment job that I'll really love to do, at least this would give me an opportunity of being my own boss. The reason for traveling far is that, I'm a shy person and I would be ashamed of myself to do this kind of jobs where I'm well known and can be easily seen.

So fellow nairalanders, do you think this is the right step for me to take since no good job is forthcoming? I would really appreciate ur advice and suggestions, thanks a lot in advance.

5 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by Gboliwe: 8:39pm On May 30, 2013
assalaamat: Fellow nairalanders,it would be very nice of you to help me with your candid and useful advice so as not to go astray.As you all know that,this is not my first time of asking for your brotherly and sisterly advice on this great paltform,but i want this to take me to my pomiseland this coming month.It happened that,on the 21st of February,2012 when I came back from my Youth Service,I had about #96,000 in my bank account which i was able to save from my govt.allowee,though it should have been #186,000,but bcs while in service my mother got herself involved in a thrift cooperative debt of about #80,000 which really caused her a lot of embarrassment and humiliation.Though,I have elderly ones but none was willing to put down anything,so i had no option than to give her a sum of #90,000 to clear the debt,and to tell you the fact,i didn't regret doing that at all,bcs i believe it was God's doing.So after the whole thing and before coming back home from service in Kogi state,i called my elder sister and informed her that,i wanted to use the remaining money in my account to get an apartment in Ibadan or osogbo bcs i believed if i relocated to either of those cities i would get a job even though i do not know anyone there,since these are the cities that i would love to start raising my own family after service,but she convinced me to come back to Lagos to search for job.My dear brothers and sisters!that was how i came back to lag on the 21st of February,2012,and started searching for teaching jobs that i love with great passion,but bcs i have HNDi couldn't get any,so i had to turn my searchlight on other jobs,but uptil this moment i've not been able to secure one,but before i knew it,i had finished the whole money touring the entire cities of lagos and ogun states searching for jobs.It's been 1yr3months now that i've been at home doing nothing,and i want this to stop bcs i'm really really tired of sitting at home idle.So i've made up my mind to try and gather some money to travel to either Ibadan or osogbo to find a menial job like security job,housekeeping job or cleaning job and use whatever i'm able to make from it to train myself in computer engineering which is the only self-employment job that i'll really love to do,at least this would give me an opportunity of being my own boss.The reason for traveling far is that,i'm a shy person and i would be ashamed of myself to do this kind of jobs where i'm well known and can be easily seen.So fellow nairalanders,do you think this is the right step for me to take since no good job is forthcoming? I would really appreciate ur advice and suggestions,thanks a lot in advance.
do you get invited for interviews? Aside teaching, won't you like to do admin/accounts officer jobs?

If you will trust me, please send me your Cv and coverletter let me help you submit in various openings I see online.
You having a HND is not the problem, many with HND are excelling.

As per travelling to Ibadan and Osogbo from Lagos, that does not sound like the right thing to do. Leaving the big city with great opportunities to a hinterland, but if you have the leading and direction of Allah, then go ahead.
I wish you the best.

15 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by MissOpe(f): 9:13pm On May 30, 2013
dear assalamat,, i hope u see this message before 11;59pm tonite which is the deadline pls log in ur details to this website www.cnssslccl.net/recruitment

3 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by rasaqdayo: 9:20pm On May 30, 2013
Don't take steps out of frustration but out of faith. No one knows the rite step in life but only Almighty makes things work. So every step is rite with God's mercy. Tested n trusted is fasting and praying for mercy. With patience mountains cld be moved

7 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by chux4liv(m): 9:51pm On May 30, 2013
@OP... What are you ashmed of ?? In Lagos nobody cares the kind of Job you're doing provided you can pay your bills. I won't advice you going to Ibadan or Oshogbo becos you will regret it (unless you want to start a business there). I worked in a corporate organisation for 4yrs were I was paid above 100k. Suddenly I lost the job and had to job hunt for 2years, I couldn't bear the idleness I had to resort to teaching in secondary school but now, I work in my field of expertise (ICT) and many companies are demanding for my services.

1 Like

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by Tomoarika(m): 10:00pm On May 30, 2013
My guy I know how you feel. There are lots of us in similar conditions. Mere words are probably not you want to hear (and I wish I could do more) but be strong. Its hard but don't give up. At d start of dis week I felt I was at my wit's end but somehow at d end of it I got 3 interviews scheduled for dis week, d first of which has offered me a job and I'm hoping for good news from d other two.
In summary don't give up!
Also see ur HND as a thing of pride not shame. Ignore those silly employers. Let their discrimination be the fuel you need to burn in your desire for success in life. Get a B.Sc if you can or do certifications when you can afford it
All d best
PS- I would suggest dat you try ICSL, its not great but its better than nothing for now.

5 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by assalaamat(m): 11:05pm On May 30, 2013
thank you guys,i really really appreciate your pieces of advice and suggestions.may god bless you all.
Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by kponkedenge(m): 12:33pm On Jun 01, 2013
I didn't read d article so I don't hav any sensible contribution 2 make. Tanks undecided
Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by albacete(m): 12:38pm On Jun 01, 2013
kponke denge: I didn't read d article so I don't hav any sensible contribution 2 make. Tanks undecided
Chei, nairalanders!

@OP, just hang in there, ur breakthrough is around the corner.
Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by alphaconde(m): 12:46pm On Jun 01, 2013
My advice for you and everyother job seeker is that instead of falling back to menial jobs to fight idleness I would rather u put into an apprenticeship. As a graduate some of these jobs wouldn't be difficult to learn, and when pple see u r learned they prefer you to the ones who aren't. This was what I did, am a big man now.

Very soon I would put up an article to tell ma story.

4 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by Krucifax(m): 12:48pm On Jun 01, 2013
@ Poster my heart really goes out to you. But if it's any consolation know that you are not alone in this plight. It is rife world wide and i mean world wide. There are people in Nigeria who finished University and Service YEARS ago but are still to find gainful employment. There are people here in the U.K after completing first degree and masters degree can only find cleaning jobs or jobs as security guards in supermarkets. There are people in Spain and Greece that with work experience and THREE different degrees are unemployed or hawking portable Chinese electronics in traffic.There are people in the U.S that were high level officials in business in Nigeria with degree but now work as taxi drivers or care assistants.

My point @ poster is this. We live in dire times that can only get worse and while i know you are suffering know that millions suffer with you. The one advantage Nigeria has is that you can start a small enterprise with small capital and still make some kind of livelihood. I would suggest you explore some type of trade(while still looking for work). Even if the earning you make is not enough for you to pay rent with. Because you live with family it will help increase the money you have in your pocket,it will also boost your confidence and potentially spring other opportunities from people you meet and interact with. Sitting idle at home while waiting for a job can be soul destroying. The brain and mind are like muscles,if you don't use them they will wither away and it becomes harder to become productive and employed or employable.

I sincerely wish you all the best buddy. God speed.

8 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by lauyanAbuja: 12:48pm On Jun 01, 2013
Chei! So sad. Pls hold and be positive, the trying time will be over. Don't go for menial jobs. U can be a guide, secretary, PA,lesson teacher, despatch rider, work with aboki as interpreter.
Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by Bonapart(m): 12:52pm On Jun 01, 2013
My dear get closer to ur God as never b4. Do sometin dat will provoke Him... Even King Solomon did sometin dat provoke His Blessing. Ask HIM FOR DIRECTION promise u job is a little tin for him to give

7 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by clemmonce(m): 12:58pm On Jun 01, 2013
Gboliwe:
do you get invited for interviews? Aside teaching, won't you like to do admin/accounts officer jobs?

If you will trust me, please send me your Cv and coverletter let me help you submit in various openings I see online.
You having a HND is not the problem, many with HND are excelling.

As per travelling to Ibadan and Osogbo from Lagos, that does not sound like the right thing to do. Leaving the big city with great opportunities to a hinterland, but if you have the leading and direction of Allah, then go ahead.
I wish you the best.
i think u need moRe help. why did u quote the whole post. you are a fowl.

2 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by AkinDavid2: 1:01pm On Jun 01, 2013
Good you for what you did for your mum, but my sincere advice to you is to ask you this question
What/who do you want to be?
Clearly summing up your write up, you come from a humble background from which i come from too. Do yourself some good get a higher degree and keep praying to God. I am talking from experience...don't get trapped with looking for Job up and down, this is how the time flies. Get God involved!!!

1 Like

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by babaijesha: 1:02pm On Jun 01, 2013
assalaamat: thank you guys,i really really appreciate your pieces of advice and suggestions.may god bless you all.

You need to get vocational skills. Carpentry, Masons etc. Look around ur environs, you see folks building new houses all over. Guys that handled the roofing work of my close associate house are final year students of a university in my location.

You can get some funds to survive using these skills while you search for your dream job around.

1 Like

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by Cutiemay(f): 1:04pm On Jun 01, 2013
Don't give up, there's always light at the end of the tunnel, so keep searching, there r lots of opportunities in Lagos. U could also try 2 take some professional courses 2 boost ur C V. It is well with u
Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by esere826: 1:04pm On Jun 01, 2013
alpha conde: My advice for you and everyother job seeker is that instead of falling back to menial jobs to fight idleness I would rather u put into an apprenticeship. As a graduate some of these jobs wouldn't be difficult to learn, and when pple see u r learned they prefer you to the ones who aren't. This was what I did, am a big man now.

Very soon I would put up an article to tell ma story.

Great comment

In addition OP, there is no harm in seeking menial jobs. Only ensure that it does not affect your mind negatively. Wealth lies in your mind so guard it jealously.

I'll do a little post that cld help you think on how to create value from 'blue collar' jobs

kpele

3 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by dridowu: 1:04pm On Jun 01, 2013
I feel ur pain, blve me i love ur idea of moving out of lagos 2 do sm menial job and learn ur comp engr b4 u know what is happening u will b d oga at d top. GOD BLESS
Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by deeplo(m): 1:06pm On Jun 01, 2013
@ OP. The Lord is your strength, am a living testimony of what you are going through, though mine is a little different to yours. I have the mind to work in Lagos and settle down but i was prevented by someone very close to me who said " i cannot come to stay with him since i have no where else". Today, God be the glory i boss myself and live in my own house here in Ogun state. This happened between 2002 and 2007 that i laid my house foundation.
My brother follow your heart, God is your strength and He will guide your path. Amen

1 Like

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by deeplo(m): 1:07pm On Jun 01, 2013
@ OP. The Lord is your strength, am a living testimony of what you are going through, though mine is a little different to yours. I have the mind to work in Lagos and settle down but i was prevented by someone very close to me who said " i cannot come to stay with him since i have no where else". Today, God be the glory i boss myself and live in my own house here in Ogun state. This happened between 2002 and 2007 that i laid my house foundation.
My brother follow your heart, God is your strength and He will guide your path. Amen.
Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by esere826: 1:07pm On Jun 01, 2013
a young smart looking man started working at my office last year
he was/is doing menial job in the office, but seems bright (i dont know if he knows)
One of those type that are torn btw acting (language, networks etc) like their menial jobs
or standing out as hungry for professional growth
( I and my oga at the top of discussed (without telling him)that if he takes the initiative to learn the ropes of our company, we will absorb him in)

He told us (office staff) that he can sew.
Everyone picked interest in this, cos his self-sewn clothes looks smarter than the average menial worker's one

to cut a long story short, i have tried him (sewed for me) and I was not impressed.
Others also have experienced such disapointment
If he had impressed me, my goal was to make him my permanent clothes fitter for as long as he can handle
at least 5000 naira to amend (fit) each of my shirts to my taste(much cheaper than if i do it in UK)
I would also have recomended him to my friends, and they might also have introduced him to their friends

Lessons: learn a trade that can add value, and do it well

1 Like

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by femmy2010(m): 1:17pm On Jun 01, 2013
This too would pass.
God help us all.

1 Like

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by bigx(m): 1:19pm On Jun 01, 2013
assalaamat: Enough Is Enough;a Case Study Of My Life

Fellow nairalanders, it would be very nice of you to help me with your candid and useful advice so as not to go astray. As you all know, this is not my first time of asking for your brotherly and sisterly advice on this great platform, but I want this to take me to my pomiseland this coming month.

It happened that on the 21st of February, 2012 when I came back from my Youth Service, I had about #96,000 in my bank account which I was able to save from my govt. allowee, though it should have been #186,000, but because while in service my mother got herself involved in a thrift cooperative debt of about #80,000 which really caused her a lot of embarrassment and humiliation. Though, I have elderly ones but none was willing to put down anything, so I had no option than to give her a sum of #90,000 to clear the debt, and to tell you the fact, I didn't regret doing that at all, because I believe it was God's doing. So after the whole thing and before coming back home from service in Kogi state, I called my elder sister and informed her that I wanted to use the remaining money in my account to get an apartment in Ibadan or Osogbo because I believed if I relocated to either of those cities I would get a job even though I do not know anyone there, since these are the cities that I would love to start raising my own family after service, but she convinced me to come back to Lagos to search for job.

My dear brothers and sisters! That was how I came back to lag on the 21st of February, 2012, and started searching for teaching jobs that I love with great passion, but because I have an HND, I couldn't get any, so I had to turn my searchlight on other jobs, but uptil this moment I've not been able to secure one, but before i knew it, I had finished the whole money touring the entire cities of lagos and ogun states searching for jobs.

It's been 1yr 3months now that I've been at home doing nothing, and I want this to stop bcs i'm really really tired of sitting at home idle.So i've made up my mind to try and gather some money to travel to either Ibadan or Osogbo to find a menial job like security job, housekeeping job or cleaning job and use whatever I'm able to make from it to train myself in computer engineering which is the only self-employment job that I'll really love to do, at least this would give me an opportunity of being my own boss. The reason for traveling far is that, I'm a shy person and I would be ashamed of myself to do this kind of jobs where I'm well known and can be easily seen.

So fellow nairalanders, do you think this is the right step for me to take since no good job is forthcoming? I would really appreciate ur advice and suggestions, thanks a lot in advance.

You love teaching, what about organising tutorials/lessons for children of Middle Class People?
It would put food on the table, its something you have in your hands already and its a start.
Teaching Jobs pay crap in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by Kslib(m): 1:22pm On Jun 01, 2013
As for travelling to ibadan or oshogbo,i will advice you to do it cos its clear that your instinct is telling you to go there.. I know some might be saying he should stay in the bog city of lagos,but op follow your instinct and see how it goes. You have nothing to loose going to ibadan.
Now ask yourself,what has the so called big lagos did for you? Nothing!! You didnt follow your instinct the first time but rather followed what your sister said. Do you now see the outcome..
My aunty's husband requested to be transferred from his lagos branch to maukurdi and he keeps saying that was the best decision he ever made jobwise..
Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by nahinbdis: 1:38pm On Jun 01, 2013
bigx:

You love teaching, what about organising tutorials/lessons for children of Middle Class People?
It would put food on the table, its something you have in your hands already and its a start.
Teaching Jobs pay crap in Nigeria.

Very incorrect! Teaching jobs no longer pay crap. Package yourself properly highlighting your value proposition.

My boss pays her daughter's lesson teacher 50K monthly. That is for 2hrs of primary school work Monday to Friday.
Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 01, 2013
this might sound as a medicine after death, but am airing it out for the sake of others who are on the route of making the same mistake you made. op, you had N96,000 after your service year, instead of touring around looking for jobs, you should have used the money to start a small business, believe me, by now you would have realised your start up capital plus your profit. and touring around was not a great idea, because most recruitments are done online noeadays.
my suggestion now is, instead of relocating out of lagos, which most job seekers see as a heaven for dream jobs. i think you should look for smaller jobs...... my battery is down, coming up with much suggestions soon... brb

2 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by infobiz9ja(m): 1:45pm On Jun 01, 2013
One word Tailoring... These days every weekend is one party after the other & as such tailors are fully booked. Learn tailoring or event planning or even catering & see what would become of you. Follow @infobiz9ja

2 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by Picomon(m): 1:46pm On Jun 01, 2013
@OP Even if you get a bsc or study professional course, there's no guarantee that you will secure a job.

My advice for you is, listen to what people says, weigh their contributions and please and please follow your intuition!!! If you really want to go to Ibadan, please go, and if you want to stay in lag please do.

Once again, follow your intuition.

Thanks for helping your momma. Good pikin.

2 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by An0nimus: 1:48pm On Jun 01, 2013
clemmonce: i think u need moRe help. why did u quote the whole post. you are a fowl.
Unlike others who quote everything without saying anything he made a wonderful contribution to the topic. Why can't you do the same or just ignore him? Must everything result to insult sef? undecided

2 Likes

Re: A Case Study Of A Job Seeker's Life by Dsage1: 1:54pm On Jun 01, 2013
@op, I will advise you to follow your heart(learn computer repairing). Besides, can't you learn it at computer village here in lagos?

NOTE; it's not a must for you to remain in Lagos and continue to be jobless o. If you can't make it here,please try another city, fortune is not limited to Lagos. Actually some people need to distance theemselves from home before they make it in life but they won't know until they took that bold step..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BAT Global Graduate Marketing Recruitment 2018 / 5 Solid Reasons Why You Never Heard Back From The Interviewers/recruiters / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.