Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,092 members, 7,835,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) (2609 Views)

Benefits Of Reciting Surah Al Kahf On Friday / Jumua'h Prayers: The Conversation From Surah Jumua'h / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by tbaba1234: 12:03am On May 31, 2013
Assalamu aleikum,

Surah ar-rahman is one of the most beautiful surahs in the Quran. Its most peculiar feature is that it continuously asks the rhetorical question ' Which of the favours of your master will you both (Jinn & Man) deny?". This thread focuses on a few of the remarkable gems from this surah.

Gem 1

Beginning and endings

A common feature of the Quran is the connection between the beginnings and the endings of surahs. It is an incredible study in itself. This surah is not left out.

The surah begins with the name of Allah

The Surah begins with:

Ar Rahman

Rough translation: The unimaginably, overwhemingly Merciful
(Surah 55:1)

The surah ends with:

Tabaraka ismu rabbika thee aljalali waal-ikrami

Rough Translation: How Blessed is the name of your master, full of majesty, bestowing honour.
(Surah 55:78)

What name of Allah are we talking about here?? The name is at the beginning of the Surah: Ar rahman, the extremely merciful. SubhanAllah.

The name of Allah is highlighted at the beginning of the Surah and the surah ends with an ayah that makes us think about that name, again. One by putting the name by itself, the other by saying how blessed that name is.

Let us focus on one word now: Tabaraka ,

What does Tabaraka mean and how does it tie to Allah's name: Ar rahman?

Tabaraka refers to the 'one that has baraka in it'...

Baraka is often translated as blessing. However, the technical meaning of baraka is " Good and increase in goodness more than what is expected".

Something that is good and brings about goodness beyond what is expected. Therefore, a good Action that has baraka in it leads to a far better result, beyond what is expected. When your deeds have baraka, the consequences exceed your expectation by miles.

Imagine a person begins to teach a child how to recite the Quran or even just the letters of the arabic language, If Allah puts Baraka in that action, that child could end up as a scholar, a teacher of the Quran and be the light that leads many people to Islam. That simple step led to far reaching consequences. This is baraka. SubhanAllah!!

When actions have baraka in them, the consequences are beyond imagination.

So Allah says in this ayah that there is a name of His that has been empowered with baraka, meaning if you invoke that name of Allah and do something, that action will have baraka in it. The name : Ar Rahman.

This is why a muslim is encouraged to begin every action with the words : Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi . At the heart of that phase is the words : Ar Rahman... SubhanAllah.

We start every action with Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi, hoping that Allah puts his baraka in that action because that way the results will be beyond our expectation.

I am sure, we all have stories of this kind.

May Allah put baraka in our actions... Ameen.

Gem 2

Coherence in the Quran

This gem looks at how surahs are tied to each other, we will compare surah ar rahman (55) to the next Surah, Surah al waqi'ah (56).

In other to appreciate the connection between the two, lets look at the five subjects of Surah ar rahman. The five topics in their correct order are as follows:

Topic number 1: The greatness of the Quran
Topic number 2: A list of Allah's other favours and blessings around us
Topic number 3: Day of Judgement/Hellfire... What happens to people that fail to be grateful
Topic number 4: Tour of Paradise
Topic number 5: Tour of elite paradise

This is for Surah ar rahman from the beginning to the end...

Let us look at Surah al waqi'ah.

Starting from the end to the beginning.

Topic number 5: The greatness of the Quran
Topic number 4: A list of Allah's other favours and blessings around us
Topic number 3: Day of Judgement/Hellfire...
Topic number 2: Tour of Paradise (People of the right hand)
Topic number 1: Tour of elite paradise (The foremost people)

SubhanAllah, It is a review session of surah Ar rahman. The same topics in Surah Ar rahman are addressed in reverse in Surah al waqi'ah. One surah is a review of the other, It is a reflection. SubhanAllah.

Allah is teaching us here that when you teach lessons, it is good to review in reverse order.. There are many different sequences in the Quran. SubhanAllah

Gem 3

The rhetoric question for Hell and Jannah

When Allah talked about Hell in this surah, the rhetoric question: "Which of the favours of your master will you both (Jinn & Man) deny?" is repeated SEVEN (7) times

When Allah talked about Paradise in this surah, the rhetoric question: "Which of the favours of your master will you both (Jinn & Man) deny?" is repeated EIGHT (cool times

We know that Hell has 7 gates
and Paradise has 8 gates..

SubhanAllah...

These are just a few gems... In sha Allah, I will make more threads sharing gems from the Quran.

Assalamu aleikum

3 Likes

Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by siddiq202(m): 12:48am On May 31, 2013
Waleikum salam.
SubuhanAllah! They are indeed gems. I wish I could study the Qur'an too to see the outstanding qualities that make it unique from all books.

Jazakallahu khairan Op
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by tbaba1234: 12:53am On May 31, 2013
Did you just change your signature? lol...

Wa aleikum salam bro

Wa iyyakum!! smiley
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by siddiq202(m): 1:15am On May 31, 2013
You just notice my siggy? There is also a bro here on NL (I've not seen him in this section before though, but he frequent the sport section. His moniker is 'usbcable') that uses the same siggy.
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by herveze: 1:44am On May 31, 2013
Wa alaekum salam.nice one my brother in islam.
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by tbaba1234: 5:14am On May 31, 2013
herveze: Wa alaekum salam.nice one my brother in islam.

smiley
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by sino(m): 7:06am On May 31, 2013
Wa alaykum salam tbaba, may Allah put His Baraka in your efforts, ameen.

Surah Ar-Rahman and Waaqi'ah are my favourites(for now), very nice to read these gems in the Qur'an, keep them coming bro.
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by sino(m): 7:13am On May 31, 2013
siddiq202: Waleikum salam.
SubuhanAllah! They are indeed gems. I wish I could study the Qur'an too to see the outstanding qualities that make it unique from all books.

Jazakallahu khairan Op
@bolded, If i hear! grin

Okay,seriously now, what is stopping you bro? Although, i see this(and threads similar to this) as part of study, don't forget the hadith of the prophet, 'knowledge is the lost property of a believer, anywhere he finds it, he should grab it'
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by siddiq202(m): 10:36am On May 31, 2013
sino:
@bolded, If i hear! grin

Okay,seriously now, what is stopping you bro? Although, i see this(and threads similar to this) as part of study, don't forget the hadith of the prophet, 'knowledge is the lost property of a believer, anywhere he finds it, he should grab it'
@bold, you right.
It's just that I would like to commit more time to it. Could you believe that I only remember to recite the Qur'an only on fridays? Yea, it's that bad sad
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by tbaba1234: 10:39am On May 31, 2013
^Recite a page or half a page after fajr, everyday. Problem solved... smiley
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by siddiq202(m): 10:49am On May 31, 2013
^Would try That. Thanks
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by sino(m): 10:53am On May 31, 2013
siddiq202:
@bold, you right.
It's just that I would like to commit more time to it. Could you believe that I only remember to recite the Qur'an only on fridays? Yea, it's that bad sad
Yours is still better, some don't even read or know how to read ay all.

Follow tbaba's advice, and take advantage of technology, your phones and media players, they really do help especially if you are always on the move.
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by siddiq202(m): 11:02am On May 31, 2013
^Okay thanks
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by tbaba1234: 8:02pm On May 31, 2013
Thinking of a Ramadan series, like last year.... Thirty days of Quranic beauty... grin

I think i s.hould just complete the thread, Divine Speech
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by sino(m): 8:53pm On May 31, 2013
^
Completing devine speech would be beautiful, Ramadhan series would be wonderful.

So, i move a motion for both! wink
Re: Gems From Surah Ar-rahman :) by tbaba1234: 7:46pm On Oct 22, 2013
A reminder

(1) (Reply)

Prostrating/kneeling/bowing to Other Than Allaah for Veneration / Shia Muslims From The Igbo Race Mourn For Imam Hussain (as) On Ashura Day / Greetings In Islam: Etiquette Of Saying Salam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.