Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,477 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC (8134 Views)

Code Of Conduct: FG May Drop Some Charges Against Saraki / Vandalism: FG May Acquire Tarkwa Bay, Kachikwu Warns Community / Threats: Ohanaeze, MASSOB, OPC Back Nigerdelta Militants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by bcomputer101: 6:09am On May 31, 2013
THE Federal Government may soon commence a clampdown on “extremist groups”, especially the Oodua People’s Congress and the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra.

President Goodluck Jonathan has said the OPC, MASSOB and the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, constitute threats to national security.

“The Nigerian state faces three fundamental security challenges posed by extremist groups like Boko Haram in the North; the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra in the South-East; and the Oodua People’s Congress in the South-West.

“The activities of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra and OPC, though not as violently intense as those of Boko Haram, they still pose a serious security challenge to the Nigerian state,” Jonathan said in his 234-page mid-term report presented to Nigerians as part of the activities marking the nation’s Democracy Day, a copy of which was obtained by our correspondent on Thursday.

But both factional leaders of the OPC, Dr. Fredrick Fasheun and Chief Gani Adams, on Thursday denied the allegation that their group constitute security challenges to the country. They spoke separately to one of our correspondents on the telephone.

While Fasheun described the allegation as unfair, Adams said such assessment did not take into consideration the activities of the group in the last eight years.

“OPC does not constitute any security threat to any people let alone Nigeria. So, anybody that ties the rope of insecurity around our waist is being unfair to us. We love Nigeria but we love social justice more,” Fasheun said.

Adams added that rather than constituting a security threat to the country, OPC had for the past eight years, helped to promote peace in the South-West Zone of the country and by its festivals, helped to develop Nigeria tourism.

The MASSOB also denied that its members constituted threat to national security.

Its Director of Information, Mr. Uchenna Madu, told our correspondent on telephone that the President could not have said MASSOB had been a threat to national security.

He said this was because MASSOB supported and voted for Jonathan in the last election because of the role he played in the burial of the late Biafran leader, Chief Emeka Ojukwu.

Madu said, “MASSOB is not a threat to Nigeria’s security. We have been conducting ourselves in a non-violent manner in line with the Constitution of Nigeria.

“If they are looking for those that are threatening national security, they should go after Boko Haram. They should go after government officials who through corruption have become the greatest threat to national security,” he said.

Already, The PUNCH learnt that the Federal Government had put both OPC and MASSOB under security watch while a full-blown military offensive against Boko Haram is ongoing under the emergency rule declared in the three northern states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.

Curiously, Adams was among the dignitaries at the event where Jonathan presented the document on Wednesday in Abuja. Some former Heads of State, including ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo, had shunned the event.

The President stated in the document that the Nigeria Police Force was upgrading its intelligence and counter-violence infrastructure across the country to respond appropriately to the threats being posed by the groups.

He said, “… the greater challenges are in the North where Boko Haram continues its intense violent campaign against citizens that have led to loss of lives and the destruction of poverty in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Kano, Bauchi and Gombe states.

“While attacks have been launched on government and international institutions like the Nigeria Police Force Headquarters and the United Nations House in the Federal Capital Territory, government has contained the violent activities of the Boko Haram sect by restricting it to communities in the North-East where the Joint Task Force, of our national security agency, is currently engaged in anti-terrorism battle.

“The challenge of containing a group with no identifiable structure is huge: but within our broad counter-terrorism coordinated framework, government has scored several successes with the arrests and trials of many insurgents.”

Jonathan said whenever any group organised itself against the prevailing laws and established democratic institution, government would stand up and effectively remove such threat to ensure that the protection of lives and property was not compromised.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-may-clamp-down-on-massob-opc/

1 Like

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by Nobody: 6:19am On May 31, 2013
He talked about OPC yet he didn't talk about MEND which is the most notorious terrorist group in Nigeria after Boko haram;known for oil theft,sea piracy,kidnapping,bunkering and hijacking simply because they are Ijaws .

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by Nobody: 7:54am On May 31, 2013
Interesting! So what happens to Ombatse group, MEND, MOSOP and other ethnic militia groups he didn't mention? MEND has threatened to go to war if he is not re elected and he didn't say anything about it? Jonathan is looking for trouble and he will definitely get it in full dose! angry

26 Likes

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by PointB: 8:10am On May 31, 2013
~Bluetooth:
He talked about OPC yet he didn't talk about MEND which is the most notorious terrorist group in Nigeria after Boko haram;known for oil theft,sea piracy,kidnapping,bunkering and hijacking simply because they are Ijaws .

I find myself agreeing with you for the first time. Why threaten non-violent MASSOB, and reforming OPC while MEND is fomenting trouble in the creeks, threatening at one time to attack muslims and mosques, then pipelines and installations? Why not monitor and challenge MEND? And while at it, how about Asari Dokubo and his NDVF, and at personally level Ango, and 'dogs and baboons' - Buhari?

10 Likes

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by aurenflani: 8:26am On May 31, 2013
PointB:

I find myself agreeing with you for the first time. Why threaten non-violent MASSOB, and reforming OPC while MEND is fomenting trouble in the creeks, threatening at one time to attack muslims and mosques, then pipelines and installations? Why not monitor and challenge MEND? And while at it, how about Asari Dokubo and his NDVF, and at personally level Ango, and 'dogs and baboons' - Buhari?

Attack Buhari? Are u insayn? Attacking Buhari means only one thing! No opposition - dictatorship;paving the way for your gej's govt to fall like a pack of cards. Seriously Buhari is more than your insolent, rude potrayal in the eyes of millions.

3 Likes

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by PointB: 8:30am On May 31, 2013
aurenflani:

Attack Buhari? Are u insayn? Attacking Buhari means only one thing! No opposition - dictatorship;paving the way for your gej's govt to fall like a pack of cards. Seriously Buhari is more than your insolent, rude potrayal in the eyes of millions.

Didn't he threaten the peace of Nigeria, even more than the other groups mentioned. If security services need to monitor groups and individual who pose security threat, it makes a lot of sense to start with those who wished blood upon 'dogs and baboons.' And Buhari is clearly not above the laws of Nigeria, despite what ignorant folks might think.

4 Likes

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by saintneo(m): 8:37am On May 31, 2013
~Bluetooth:
Is this Bluetooth or....
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by boron10(m): 8:44am On May 31, 2013
berem: Interesting! So what happens to Ombatse group, MEND, MOSOP and other ethnic militia groups he didn't mention? MEND has threatened to go to war if he is not re elected and he didn't say anything about it? Jonathan is looking for trouble and he will definitely get it in full dose! angry
Are you capable of giving Jonathan trouble?

1 Like

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by BlackPeni5: 9:01am On May 31, 2013
This is silly coming from the Presidency. I agree that all these groups are threats to National Security, however none of them including MEND should be excluded.
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by mcevans1(m): 9:03am On May 31, 2013
Jonathan wants to start what he cannot finish and i hope he doesn't regret it afterwards.

1 Like

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by gen2briz(m): 9:04am On May 31, 2013
Our shoeless president never stop to amaze me.........Na wetin OPC do

1 Like

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by kacheezy: 9:04am On May 31, 2013
And Ombatse? Omg! The FG is afraid of Baba Alakyo!
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by brownlord: 9:08am On May 31, 2013
Abeg make them add my own militia group join am cos i won start my business very soon, since na crime dey pay for Nigeria, imagine Asari, now speak from the state house and even organise press conference
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by Evablazze(m): 9:15am On May 31, 2013
This man is being misleed
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by bobthebuilder99(m): 9:23am On May 31, 2013
Is this coming from the same man that gave OPC a 22 billion naira oil pipeline contract a few months ago?!

Now they are dangerous?! This man is either daft or evil. I haven't decided.

3 Likes

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by Nobody: 9:31am On May 31, 2013
You took the word right out of my mouth...

A fool raised to power 100
~Bluetooth:

2 Likes

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by gudugudumeje: 9:38am On May 31, 2013
To hell with GEJ while he fails to call for the abolition ad prosecution of MEND but castigates OPC, MASSOB......
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by ShackAttack: 9:42am On May 31, 2013
Boko Haram is no more a national threat after its leader were named wanted by the UN anti-terriost unit.
So whatever group that had been pin pointed in the mid-term report by the FG are security challanges they had all faced one time or the other...
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by Fantacy1(m): 9:45am On May 31, 2013
GEJ is a big joke! MEND is d 1st and most dagerous internationally recognized terror group in Nigeria. Why MASSOB and OPC who ve neva done any damage 2 lives and property in dis country?
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by Nobody: 9:47am On May 31, 2013
I'm in support. I consider dem OPC and MASSOB to be nuisance before sef. angry
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by Innodon(m): 9:50am On May 31, 2013
Here we go. Another seasonal film about to start. Let us just sit back and watch as usual nah. Na today? I seeing another Mabotose style coming up. Part 2 of d film shot in Nasarawa state. One will be shot in Aanambra and another in Lagos state.
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by Nobody: 9:51am On May 31, 2013
To those shouting MEND. MEND has already been considered a terrorist group before.....so there's no need adding them again. I guess this news is refering 'Supposed Armless groups'. Adding MEND is as Useless as adding BOKO HARAM to the list. We already know those two are being fought against.
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by kizaronto: 9:54am On May 31, 2013
Is OPC an extremist group? OPC as I can see for now is a vigilante group bent on maintaining community security where our so-called police has failed.

2 Likes

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by dridowu: 9:55am On May 31, 2013
Massob. Mend , Opc, Acf etc..............................dy all contribute noting to developmentt of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by stacomaster(m): 9:56am On May 31, 2013
GEJ is A RETARDEEN..!!! angry
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by stacomaster(m): 9:58am On May 31, 2013
speedyboi: To those shouting MEND. MEND has already been considered a terrorist group before.....so there's no need adding them again. I guess this news is refering 'Supposed Armless groups'. Adding MEND is as Useless as adding BOKO HARAM to the list. We already know those two are being fought against.
MEND a terrorist group?? ... R de wanted!!!?
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by Nobody: 10:10am On May 31, 2013
D Clueless one @ it again, that dude is a bloodthirsty wolf in sheep's clothing!
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by kaeto(m): 10:12am On May 31, 2013
I think the inclussion of MASSOB,OPC and (why not ombatse) to the list is just to check the balances of the millitary raid on the boko boys in the north. And also MEND has always been a public enemy and has no need of mentioning. All the same, this is a political comment and will never be enforced against these peacefull groups.

1 Like

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by Nobody: 10:12am On May 31, 2013
stacomaster: MEND a terrorist group?? ... R de wanted!!!?

They've been given amnesty tongue grin

1 Like

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by Nobody: 10:19am On May 31, 2013
What has massob done? GEJ better take time ooooooo unless he wants to see more than he can handle.
Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by KANOTADABO(m): 10:22am On May 31, 2013
yes gej you are now recuperating. Terminate the deadly opc and massob they bunch of peace hating adekunles and emekas. It will do a lot of good to the country, i swear it will.

1 Like

Re: FG May Clamp-down On MASSOB, OPC by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:39am On May 31, 2013
Is it a coincidence dt our president is talking abt d two most peaceful group in Nigeria, or is it his daftness taking over his senses?
Ok, MEND, JAMB, OMBATSE, MASOP e.t.c are now off his threat-list?

daft...dafter....daftest...he got it all!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Radio Biafra: Time To Take A Calculated Position / Biafra: Buhari Not In ‘mecca’, Nnamdi Kanu Provides ‘pictorial Evidence’ / What Would You Miss About United Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.