Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,365 members, 7,815,782 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It (6719 Views)

The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression / A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by Imani(f): 12:14am On May 03, 2008
4 Him:

Depression is not medically a disease. It has been so labelled by a generation overly eager to blame everything but themselves for their own inability to handle adverse situations.

Someone said that depression is clinically a chemical imbalance of the brain . . . i beg to disagree, alchohol and other chemical neuro-depressants do not produce the sad, melancholic behaviour that is symptomatic of those who hide under the umbrella of depression.

Infact anti-depressant drugs ARE a clinically chemical imbalance of the brain as you are trying to artificially induce a neurological response.

4Him,

I think you are too harsh in dismissing other people's depression. I don't think anyone wants to be depressed but some people are more predisposed to depression than others.

Yes, it is thought to have medical and genetic undertones, therefore not a state of mind people can "snap" out of anytime they want. They do need professional help as depression can progress to something more serious.

I believe, and i have no evidence to back it up, that an individual's temperament also plays a part to whether people suffer from depression or not. A melancholic and to an extent a phlegmatic is more likely to be depressed than a choleric or sanguine personality. Therefore, people are bound to react differently to the same situation. Sometimes, it is not what happens that affects us, but how we react to what happens. This may be the key difference. Some people are able to shrug off challenges, and others just sink in that same challenge. We are all not born to be competitive, but i do accept that people should learn to respond more rationally to situations, especially the ones they have no control over.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by 4Him1(m): 12:26am On May 03, 2008
mizzlanae:

"Don't be so heavenly bound, that you are no earthly good"

There is no fear of this happening. Being depressed isnt a sign of being earthly good either.

Imani, first let me appologize for u know what. wink

I'm not being harsh, i think some people need to hear some home truths (bitter it may seem) than all these avalanche of sympathy they seem to be drawing.
It is sad that we allow white folks sit in their hospitals drawing up lists of "new diseases" every day to explain away their problems.
First it was ADHD, now its autism . . . in Africa there is nothing like ADHD . . . a child who wont listen in class isnt given medications but flogged thoroughly until he behaves himself.

I've had enough of people disguising their inability to handle adverse situations under the guise of depression. There is no pain that is unique to anyone, we've all been hurt before. . .
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 1:54am On May 03, 2008
You young are very argumentative and quite Anal-Retentive might i ad.
This forum is not about you or the likes of you.
No one here is seaking as i mentioned a number of times.

"Don't be so Heavenly bound,that your no earthly good" Was for you my friend.
It simply means Don't be so self righteous!!!

I showed you that depression has been around for some time. It was not created by THE WHITE MAN sitting in his hospital.
I would suggest you all ignore this young man because he obviously suffers from a disease himself,but is in denial. It is called DIARRHEA OF THE MOUTH.
I'd rather have depression than that,at least it can be concealed.

By the way ,who said people with depression can't handle adverse situations.
If anything we have mastered adversity. Depression would BE LIKE the residue left behind.
We are here to support one another, If I had you as a husband I would kill you and blame it on depression, LOL(i'm just teasing)

Grow up young man.

4 Him:

There is no fear of this happening. Being depressed isnt a sign of being earthly good either.

Imani, first let me appologize for u know what. wink

I'm not being harsh, i think some people need to hear some home truths (bitter it may seem) than all these avalanche of sympathy they seem to be drawing.
It is sad that we allow white folks sit in their hospitals drawing up lists of "new diseases" every day to explain away their problems.
First it was ADHD, now its autism . . . in Africa there is nothing like ADHD . . . a child who wont listen in class isnt given medications but flogged thoroughly until he behaves himself.

I've had enough of people disguising their inability to handle adverse situations under the guise of depression. There is no pain that is unique to anyone, we've all been hurt before. . .

Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by Viante(f): 2:06am On May 03, 2008
Maám,

Im terribly bored with my neighbors and my roomate, could i be silently depressed
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 2:47am On May 03, 2008
GET NEW ONES!.Ms. condescending!!
Viante:

Maám,

I'm terribly bored with my neighbors and my roomate, could i be silently depressed
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by Viante(f): 2:52am On May 03, 2008
Whats the matter with you?

Because i deigned to ask u a question?

Your symptoms are crystal clear
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by 4Him1(m): 12:17am On May 04, 2008
mizzlanae:

You young are very argumentative and quite Anal-Retentive might i ad.

and you adults with kid-like mentalities are too desperate to force your opinions down our throats.

mizzlanae:

This forum is not about you or the likes of you.
No one here is seaking as i mentioned a number of times.

that's why its open to alternative viewpoints even if it makes your eyes bleed.

mizzlanae:

I showed you that depression has been around for some time. It was not created by THE WHITE MAN sitting in his hospital.
I would suggest you all ignore this young man because he obviously suffers from a disease himself,but is in denial. It is called DIARRHEA OF THE MOUTH.
I'd rather have depression than that,at least it can be concealed.

sorry sis, continue living in your bubble of depression. Prozac will be next on ur shelf.
How old are you and u're crying about depression? Like you're the only one alive. Give us all a break pls.

mizzlanae:

By the way ,who said people with depression can't handle adverse situations.
If anything we have mastered adversity. Depression would BE LIKE the residue left behind.
We are here to support one another, If I had you as a husband I would kill you and blame it on depression, LOL(i'm just teasing)

Yeah right. You mastered adversity which is why professors here spend 8 hrs a day feverishly trying to develop new drugs so you people can at least not be a drain on medicare.

mizzlanae:

Grow up young man.

madam, there's one person who needs to grab herself up by the bootstraps and stop whining like a spoilt child. It certainly isnt me.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by spoilt(f): 12:20am On May 04, 2008
im only depressed when im broke grin
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by Gamine(f): 3:06am On May 04, 2008
Lets talk about it
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 3:14pm On May 04, 2008
4him,

For someone who sounds as intelligent as u, u really didnt need to say the things u just said. noone forced nothin on ur throat n MIZZLANAE was only trying to make u understand.well, words can either be kind or bad, if u dont believe depression exists then fine.but maybe a mature approach to ur responses would hv been better. AS FOR YOUR EMPHASIS ON PROZAC, leave it be and move on to another topic, i resent u saying adults hv kid mentalities, its a forum young man n nt some personal fight. i rest my case cz its pointless.

MIZZLANAE,
good topic, girl leave 4him alone n lets nt argue wit him, its not worth getting insulted for. I did find ur posts very encouraging. lets move on from there. if 4him believes all he writes in his blogs (which personally i dont want to comment about) leave him be, i dont argue cuz the insults r nt worth it. we cn only hope people understand but if they make fun of it , fine, Goodluck With Everything hun.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 04, 2008
Sup
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by Imani(f): 9:23am On May 05, 2008
4Him,

I am seriously dissapointed in you angry Thought you should know tongue

You americanas complain about londoners. . . .what an irony!!! [s]knowing your intelligent self, you should be able to decode my rantings[/s]
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by onimine(f): 9:29am On May 05, 2008
You might not appreciate the issue of clinical depression if u have not suffered from it or know someone who has. It is different from beeing sad or moody over certain issues in life. it is a serious matter. i have been there and gotten to the point of feeling suicidal and actually wanting to practicalize it. Its not a joking matter. If you are suffering from it u nieed to look for a reason to come out of it. My kids are the greatest reasons i have for staying alive today . This thread should be taken seriously
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mizzlanae(f): 1:31am On May 13, 2008
HELLO EVERYONE,
I KNOW ITS BEEN A WHILE. I PRAY EVERYONE IS DOING WELL.
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL WHO CELEBRATED IT.

I've been away for a while. I'm glad to see the responses. Glad to hear people are conquering there battle with the Big "D". Everyday gets better. Continue to open up. Were all here for eachother. No one knows of this struggle except those who have struggled too.
We are more than conqurers thru Christ Jesus.
I accept e-mails if this forum is too public to share.
Step out on Faith. The only way to defeat anything is to stare it in the face.

PS. a lot of men&woman struggle with depression and it leads to victimization of others.
"Know yourself,Face your self then Love yourself".
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by nettan: 8:15pm On May 16, 2008
4Him may sound intelligent but obviously he is very ignorant about the issue of Depression. You can never understand the full weight of it if you've never being there. I believe this posting would be helpful to a lot of people passing through a very difficult moment , i see this as a platform where people can open up and thereby kick start the healing process.
It will surprise you that Jesus was confronted with a situation that can be likened to DEPRESSION too.

Let me explain myself before you get me wrong. Just before we was captured to be crucified hear what we said in Matthew 26:37-39

37And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.

38Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.

39And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

He knew all along the task at hand, he knew it was a very bitter cup to drink. He knew he was Depressed and needed people around him to support him in any spiritual way possible e.g Prayer and encouragement.He needed strenght from God to pull through that DARK Hour of his life. That is why i strongly believe God laid it in the heart of the Poster to start this thread.This thread is not to encourage pity partying or anything of sort. And that is why Jesus understands people going through their DARK MOMENT unlike our dear brother 4HIM. You can't fully understand it if you've not been there.

@4HIM
Heb 4:12 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

@4HIM
Any priest that is not compassionate enough to listen to what his people are going through is definitely A LOW PRIEST not a HIGH PRIEST

I've had a share of the bitter pie lately too and God has been my strength. I will encourage anybody going through DEPRESSION to open up here or write to the poster (email addy is supplied  in page1). We can encourage one another and pray for each other. I believe that God will use this thread to liberate so many people from their predicaments and testimonies will flow.

I encourage you all to share your experience(s) and how God pulled you through. You never know, your testimony may be a life saver for someone who is driven to the edge already.

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by bluehorizo(m): 12:00am On May 17, 2008
Untreated depression is the number one cause for suicide.

You are not depressed when you feel sad for a day or two; you are depressed when you experience a prolonged period of sadness that interferes with your ability to function. Depression occurs because of an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. It is an illness. And it is highly treatable.

Unfortunately, many people do not receive treatment for depression, and thus are at risk for suicide.

If you or have some of these symptoms below, please seek help immediately:

* Feeling sad for two or more weeks

* Feeling lethargic -- feeling like you have no energy

* Unable to concentrate

* Sleeping too much or too little

* Eating too much or too little

* Feeling worthless

* Feeling hopeless

* Feeling helpless

* Feeling negative or pessimisstic

* Losing interest in activities that you previously enjoyed

* Crying frequently

* Withdrawing from others

* Neglecting personal appearance

* Feeling angry

* Feeling guilty

* Unable to think clearly

* Unable to make decisions

Basically, if "the blues" do not go away after two weeks, you probably have depression. And you need to get treatment. So please make an appointment with a medical doctor and a therapist so you may be properly evaluated. Many people do not think of going to a medical doctor when they are depressed, but it is an important step because there could be a physical problem beside the chemical imbalance that is causing the depression. And please get into therapy. If the therapist believes that you need medication he or she can refer you to someone.

Get help now.

Get treatment now.

Many people who have depression do not get help. So please, do the right thing and make those appointments.

Again, you may need to take medication. So, please leave that option open. People take medication all of the time for a variety of ailments, why should taking medication for depression be any different?

And please understand that when you are depressed that you affect the people around you. So get help for your loved ones as well as yourself. If you need to take medication, then you should do so. You can ask the doctor and therapist all of the questions that you can think of. And you can do your own research. You can seek a second and even a third opinion. But the bottom line is that you need to do what is necessary to get better.

You might believe that you could never become suicidal, but protracted, untreated depression will make almost anyone suicidal, including you. So take action now. If you are depressed, make those appointments immediately.

If finances are holding you back, then look for low-priced clinics in your community.

If you are not depressed but know someone who is, please make sure that he or she receives help. Remember that untreated depression is the number one cause for suicide, so immediate action is required.

Take action--

Force yourself to take action.

People care about you.

So please take action now.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mamaput(f): 5:18pm On May 18, 2008
I
don't give a damn about u, your family, your daughter or your mothers sickness,,, why do u insist on sharing your life story,,, if u want pity start a thread of your own

who said this to who when and were
talking about mothers
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 6:10pm On May 18, 2008
mamaput,

i cant believe that u dont want to forget an argument that happened ages ago. HR.hotness and myself did say stuff, but this was because u were nt understanding at all n u know that. well, if u dont want to forget despite an apology. its up to you cuz for someone as mature as u, its funny that u still hv it in mind! you consistently labelled me a LovePeddler n someone came to my defense, end of story. i dont have any grieviances towards u so whats ur problem?
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mamaput(f): 6:52pm On May 18, 2008
was i addressing you. did i not say i will let you be.
anyway bring out one quote were i called you a LovePeddler .
and bring out one insult i trew at your friend.
you see what your friend wrote me .
so now i do not care about her bloody depressions. and pity party stories,
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mamaput(f): 6:54pm On May 18, 2008
ps this is not between me and you  its between me and another person.
another person that spat on my mothers grave,
by the way at the end of a long day thats what lead to my mums illness and death.
but her form of depression was a very acute one.
her depression turned to fear and one fine day without warning she did not wake up.
when they tried to wWakeher up she did not say a word.
she did not talk walk or do anything for 17 years . no DR in Nigeria could help her no DR in the whole of germany and swissland could even find anything physically wrong with her,
she just gave up. and that left the whole family depressed.
but we moved on .
now ask me again what my problem is with your friend.
at least you did not say anything about my mum again after i told you.
but am pissed my mum did not die like a 100 years ago . its just been two years.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 7:32pm On May 19, 2008
Mamaput,

I can understand how you feel about your mum. i can only say you are Strong to talk about it and i Admire that. but you need to let go of HR.hotness and what she said cuz she was standing up for me. if you read the posts of what you wrote to me, they were hurtful but i took it with a Pinch of salt.

HR.hotness, is a lovely person and all she was trying to say then was for you to calm down and not bring personal matters in to the previous discussion. i can only say to you, dont be angry with her because of your pain. i understand how you feel and i know your mum lived a Good life and things change even though we dont want them to. things went a bit personal but it doesnt mean you should take an angry approach. you have kids and from what you write you are a good mum and if your kids make a mistake you forgive.

you advocate for women as well and u can see that some people have made mistakes. let it go cuz if i wanted to get mad at people for the names they have called me or my family i could but it wont be of any benefit. its the internet hun, so let it go as i have said i can understand and i do admire you for being strong about your mum and i wish you the best and hope you find a way to heal through this. If u want to blame someone, blame me not HR.hotness

anyway let me get back to being the troublesome and crazy NubianQ cheesy

maybe we might battle some other issue out. take care.x
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by NubianQ(f): 7:35pm On May 19, 2008
Bluehorizo,

you hit the nail on the head. i experience some of this and almost all, my worst has been isolation as i just want to stop all communication with people. seek help? well i dunno. its a fight, i hope sometimes i wake up and its gone. thnx for ur post.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by mamaput(f): 8:23pm On May 19, 2008
i have made many too and i will not want others to make them.
like i said i spoke to you the way i would have spoken to my daughter if she came back with that story.
that is i will fire many questions at her that i do not expect her to answer.
they say no risk no fun. but when you have a baby mark my words you will stop taking risks.
you should go and learn some breathing excises.
its wevery simple.

you have to lie down and think of a place you will like to be.
a field? think up the colour are there flowers, water fall animals. that an example but you have to consentrate on the detailes.

or just day dream you are Bruce lee and Jun FY fighting some asses
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by Gamine(f): 4:14pm On May 20, 2008
I went thru a bit of this

i was worrying too much abt problems not mine

cos even mine were negligible.

One thing solved it, leaving my immediate environ and talking with people.

im quick to laugh, so whn the humour kept rolling in, depression said bye bye.
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by HRhotness(f): 11:22pm On May 21, 2008
mamaput:

I
who said this to who when and were
talking about mothers
WE WEREN'T TALKING ABOUT MOTHERS and that was the point I was trying to pass across!

NubianQ
Question what were you doing in bed with a man you do not know and that is not your boy friend.
what were you doing with the wrong crowd.
i come from a culture and tradition of powerful women.
The women in my family are known to be strong.and they know how to treat a man.
a man can never beat me i will never bring myself in that situation.
my daughters can also never bring themselves in that situation.
they do not talk to people anyhow
a situation to insult a man or a situation to find themselves in a strangers bed.
my big daughter is 19 today her boyfriend is a gentleman she knows that she cannot bring an anyhow wrong crowd man home because i will fight it to the bitter end.
be4 that she had had a date that told her "in joke" that if she dances with another guy he will beat her" that was an expensive joke because she never gave him a Chance to even explain it.

i can Scan up my daughters results and awards here her average is a 1,6 and she is going for  A levels. in biz administration
yes she has a boyfriend  . .
boyfriend is with respect she knows his parents they know me we all know each other.
they come to our occasions we attend their. and she is going with his parents to Spain for a wedding  this month,
what ever happens they cannot say they do not know us.
even sex is with respect.

Quote from: HR.hotness on May 13, 2008, 12:06 AM
thats a new one,,, there is nothing u wont hear on nairaland

please Nubi has apologised why r u insisting on fighting
d girl has said she knew she was wrong why e still dey pain u,,,,,  abi na because she dey talk her own and u no fit talk your own?
please everyone has sex,,, i don't understand what your problem is,,, she is living her life with no apologies abeg let us hear word with your daughter and her results, what has that got to do with anything

bring out one insult  that i have given her or you.
are you the one that stepped into the shit
do you know what my whole family passed through with my mothers sickness.
some people should think before they make a comment.
the poster is getting wilder and wilder and in court she will get just as wild and distrue what her fellow women have fought and died for.

I stand by what I said and I have nothing to apologise for
I did not spit on your mothers grave, Once again you are blowing things out of proportion. Read the thread in question properly and its pretty obvious it wasn’t meant to be malicious. Its either you are refusing to see this fact or you just have a problem with the English language.
The original post was about the assault on NubianQ and for some reason you decided to act as judge and jury and telling us about your daughters results. Granted, we all draw from experience when advising or sharing our opinions but your bringing in your daughters results was just ridiculous. . . . 

I object strongly to having my character attacked by mindless insinuations, I'm intelligent enough to express my opinions without resorting to cheap insults so I wont return the favour, I just want to make a couple of things clear

You talk about my pity party, from your posts it would appear pity is all you seek.
If you want to tell your mothers story by all means do so, i will probably sympathise with you because thats the kind of person I am and I can definately relate. I  strongly advise that you do so actaully because it would seem you hav alot of unresolved issues. Taking it out on me wont do you any good

I didn’t invite you to pity me, in fact I object to the very idea, read my post properly. I shared my story to help someone else. I am a strong woman who has triumphed over depression and self loathing, i don’t seek pity, I am very proud of everything I’ve been through and I don’t need validation from the likes of you
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by holydante(m): 11:25am On Dec 23, 2010
since 2008? what happend to all the folks on this thread.

Its of interest to me. any of your good self still around? cry
Re: Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It by tgospel: 3:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
hey all i really understand what u guys are saying cause i am also expirencing it.the issue here is how to come out of it without been stoke with antidepressant and antiphychotic drugs....i thnnk only God that can helpout...most of the phychiatrist and therapist are just out there to make money not really there to help.they are alternative supliment designed for depression and other mental illness but how dortors only wont to give u culpit of drugs dat ve cracy side effect...THINKING OF MAINTANACE INSTEAD OF RESTORATIVE PROCESS I i believe if u are on antidep or antipyhcotic drug u wld understand our dis drugs make u more ill...as any of you heard about truehopeempowerplus dis organisation is based in canada and have bn in existance for 17yrs i think how mental institution shld hv dis long be able try such suplliment on pateintin order to restore life back....i called dis wickedness....wen i found dis site and read about the testimony of people gainig back there life i cried cos if our dortors are really ready they shld ve givin a suppliment like dis dat is makin much impact in d foreign mental institutions.pychiatrist over there now recommed it for their patient.heyyy i am trying to sell anything am just trying to see how will can help howself get better..i am not a dortor or a therapist...i believe with dis suppliment recomeeded by our pyhchiatrist much people will live healthy again.EMPowerplus™ is a micronutrient treatment consisting of 16 minerals, 14 vitamins, 3 amino acids, and 3 antioxidants and is designed to address essential nutrient deficiencies in both children and adults. Although nearly all of these ingredients are found in the foods we eat each day, they are not in sufficient quantities or correct proportions in our food to address disease causing deficiencies.

Three trials and two observational reports in private practice have demonstrated statistically significant reductions in the symptoms of bipolar and other disorders. Studies in animals also suggest that EMPowerplus™ can increase the healthy characteristics of neurons.

The unique formulation of EMPowerplus™ allows the body to rapidly absorb and utilize these essential nutrients for optimum physical and mental health.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Natural Fibroid Treatment/ Fibroid And Pregnant / JUREMI-A.I.D WALK; People With Disabilities Get NGO Intervention / How To Cleanse Your Blood Naturally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.