Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals (1004 Views)

Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria / 10 Colourful Cultural Festivals / Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by Acidosis(m): 8:23pm On Jun 02, 2013
I think its time for the F.G to challenge this disgusting festivals and masquerades on our streets.

When would these show of backwardness end in Nigeria, especially in the backward towns and villages?

I could remember back then at school, we were made (non-indegenes) to sit back in our rooms for 3days because some disgusting sets of disgusting masquerades need to perform their disgusting backward act of disgusting rites.

Just this evening, I called a friend in Ijanikin, only to hear they've been home since morning (Sunday), and they've warned all non-indegenes not to step out of their gates for 1week! I asked about the shops, churches and schools, but to my surprise, ALL schools, shops etc are not allowed to open their gates and no one is permitted to walk on the streets!

The worst part of this disgusting rite is, the disgusting masquerades need 10 human heads to perform the disgusting rites!!!

For crying out loud this is 21st century. A time for us to do away with these archaic docile dullards called 'gods'.

This is really disgusting!!! and something needs to be done!!
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by CrazyMan(m): 9:08pm On Jun 02, 2013
Its everywhere bro. Here in Anambra they just finish their Imoawka festival on friday.

Usually, the festival which lasts for a week is to celebrate the culture and tradition of the various villages in Awka, canes were used to flog fellow colleagues who decide to engage one another in a duel for the test of manhood.

With time the festival lost it direction.

Now, during every imoawka festival people are advised to stay at home till its over, cos illiterates villagers who would sit under trees and in front of their houses drinking their lives away would cut branches of trees and flog anyone they set their eyes upon...when I say flog, I don't mean one or two lashes...they would flog you till you bleed.

It doesn't end there...in the evening and late in the night, girls are violently ra.ped by this touts and guys are being robbed (most of them get stabbed in the process)

Now the big question is why would the government allow such festival to keep holding....I must confess that I use to enjoy it back in the days especially whey the various dibas from all the villages begin their march to the town square, but now the festival is a shadow of itself.
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by Acidosis(m): 9:36pm On Jun 02, 2013
^ ^ Exactly...

The touts have turned the whole stuffs to shows of jobless hooligans and touts (opportunity to steal, molest, kill and a time to test the potency of hard drugs, weed & charms on the innocents especially the non-indegenes).

Do you know government offices, banks and police stations also shut their doors during these periods? smh...

Sometimes I wonder why we have kings and rulers. Thats all they do! Rituals and dirty backward sacrifices...

I really need to go into politics...

I will definitely scrap these useless stuffs, detrone most of the kings and shut down ALL local governments. These categories of people are the reasons why we are so backward in all areas of life.
Each time the F.G embark on some great stuffs, these f00ls sit back in their shrines, connect with their underdeveloped backward ancestors to pull down government projects.

Days when people perform these inhumane rites are the best period to put great smiles on our soldiers!
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 02, 2013
Just visit section 38(1) of the CFRN 1999 as amended.

I don't know if you want these people to dump their roots simply because you don't subscribe to thesame believe or because of modernization.

If they annoy you so much, then I'll advice you to evangelise to them. If they accept your own religion which is 'modern', fine. And if they don't, just let them be. wink
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by Acidosis(m): 10:27pm On Jun 02, 2013
TEA esq™:
Just visit section 38(1) of the CFRN 1999 as amended.

I don't know if you want these people to dump their roots simply because you don't subscribe to thesame believe or because of modernization.

If they annoy you so much, then I'll advice you to evangelise to them. If they accept your own religion which is 'modern', fine. And if they don't, just let them be. wink

My dear... You're a lawyer and I will not even make any attempt to argue with you grin

But do we have to deprive others their rights in the name of festival?

What if Pastor Adeboye & Oyedepo declares "state of emergency" - No one should walk on the streets for 2months? Can other religion also emulate that ancestral backwardness?

Can we loot, beat and steal from citizens during evangelism?

Why can't they practise their religion in their homes, shrines?

You and I know these stuffs can never happen in the major cities like Abuja... and that doesn't mean there are no Idol worshipers in Abuja. Imagine a masquerade dancing cladenstinely in front of CBN...

I do not have problems with people worshiping whatever they wish to worship (even if they wanna worship their poo).
What I despise is the FEAR, terror they make others go through...
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 02, 2013
You askes "do we have to deprive others of their rights because of festivals?"

My answer is this:
You are a christian, and you and I know the kind of noise christians generate especially at night during crusades et all. If a crusade happens to be taking place a street or two away from yours, then be prepared to be deprived of sleep for that night.

Infact, there is a man who preaches every morning at 5am around my house. He uses a very loud microphone and that's the time when I grab my pillow and place it over my head.

All the above constitutes NUISANCE!!

About putting fear bla bla bla in you, that is just the way they carry out their religious rites.
Just go and read that section of the constitution, it will enlighten you.
kiss

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by Acidosis(m): 11:06pm On Jun 02, 2013
TEA esq™:

My answer is this:
You are a christian, and you and I know the kind of noise christians generate especially at night during crusades et all. If a crusade happens to be taking place a street or two away from yours, then be prepared to be deprived of sleep for that night.

Infact, there is a man who preaches every morning at 5am around my house. He uses a very loud microphone and that's the time when I grab my pillow and place it over my head.

About putting fear bla bla bla in you , that is just the way they carry out their religious rites.
kiss

lolll... not me... I fear no one cheesy

What if the early morning preacher warn you not to stand from the bed for 2 weeks? cheesy

I want to believe you've never witnessed these stuffs.
You want the government to keep quiet in a situation where people use cutlass, rifles, axe, in the name of religion? If your answer is YES.
Then whats the difference between Religion and Cultism?
Why do we fight the cultists on campus?
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by CrazyMan(m): 9:51am On Jun 03, 2013
TEA esq™:
If the festival is accommodating then its worth celebrating.

TEA esq™:
My answer is this:

About putting fear bla bla bla in you, that is just the way they carry out their religious rites.
kiss
You must be a very terrible lawyer (that's if at all you're one)

A debate as to whether or not traditional festivals should be scrapped is brought before you, and your best defense as to why it shouldn't be scrapped is that christians disturb the public with their loud speakers, therefore traditionalist must be allowed to continue with their sacrifices...like I stated earlier, you're a terrible lawyer.

Did you take you take your time to weight the two sides before making this post?

If a church starts her night vigil 10pm, budgets 3 hours for praises and the rest for testimonies, varieties, sermon...etc, can 3 hours of praise (noise according to your posts) be equal to traditionalist who ra.pe, kill, rob and maim people?

You sound like someone who probably spent all your life in the city so its obvious you have little or zero knowledge about what we're talking about.
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:56am On Jun 03, 2013
OP go die.
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:57am On Jun 03, 2013
disgusting filthy man-worshipper. This is how we do things here. You are a non-indigene. if you dont like what we do, then get out of here. go to israel and see if theyll accept you.

filth.
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by Acidosis(m): 11:12am On Jun 03, 2013
You sound like someone who probably spent all your life in the city so its obvious you have little or zero knowledge about what we're talking about.

Exactly
cheesy

btw, you can vote for her on Miss Nl contest smiley
Thanks
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by Nobody: 11:29am On Jun 03, 2013
CrazyMan:
If the festival is accommodating then its worth celebrating.

You must be a very terrible lawyer (that's if at all you're one)

A debate as to whether or not traditional festivals should be scrapped is brought before you, and your best defense as to why it shouldn't be scrapped is that christians disturb the public with their loud speakers, therefore traditionalist must be allowed to continue with their sacrifices...like I stated earlier, you're a terrible lawyer.

Did you take you take your time to weight the two sides before making this post?

If a church starts her night vigil 10pm, budgets 3 hours for praises and the rest for testimonies, varieties, sermon...etc, can 3 hours of praise (noise according to your posts) be equal to traditionalist who ra.pe, kill, rob and maim people?

So calling me a terrible lawyer is the only way to make your point, right?

Our views must not be same. So the fact that I don't see things the way you do,doesn't make me terrible. angry
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by Acidosis(m): 11:37am On Jun 03, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
disgusting filthy man-worshipper. This is how we do things here. You are a non-indigene. if you dont like what we do, then get out of here. go to israel and see if theyll accept you.

filth.

Except you wanna live, & die in your village.. people with responsibilities do move out of their home to other places within or outside the country.

If we all have the kind of mentality you have, then there won't be anything like Mega cities..
We all would be enslaved by some ill-gotten poverty stricken ancestral stup¡d¡ty.

Go and make your research, the most ridiculous, poverty stricken poorly developed cave shrine-like towns/villages all practise these lousy festivals... 'caging people' in their rooms for days.. Some permits the males but the females aren't.... what a joke grin

Imagine a responsible educated man in a attire meant for masquerades??

These fetish acts only exist in the caves, dominated by idle jobless youths, hooligans, touts, gamblers, rougues, armed robbers, jobless illiterate chiefs, and community rascals.

These nuisance doesn't exist in the mega places of Abuja, where you'll be crushed with AK-47 if you ever try it,

You guys should emulate that, grow up and stop leaving in the dark...
Afterall, you people have been practising these stuffs for over a decade now without a single improvement/development. Your gods must be docile & idle
cheesy

If this is what you inherited from your forefathers, then good for you & your children BUT pls can you camp yourselves somewhere in a shrine, bush or something??
Re: Nigerians, Rituals, Masquerades & Archaic Festivals by Acidosis(m): 11:38am On Jun 03, 2013
TEA esq™:

So calling me a terrible lawyer is the only way to make your point, right?

Our views must not be same. So the fact that I don't see things the way you do,doesn't make me terrible. angry

#my_apology

(1) (Reply)

The Use Of Hand And Water To Clean The Anus After Toilet, Wrong Or Right / Nigeria - A Colonial Structure Not A Country / Remarriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.