Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,861 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Pls Explain This - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Pls Explain This (792 Views)

Your Blog Doesn't Currently Qualify For Adsense - Pls Explain / 500 Internal Server Error >>>>>> Pls Explain / Smartwebng.com - Can Anyone Help Explain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Explain This by webguru(m): 3:40pm On May 01, 2008
hi, i need some explanation

u guys who use spacer gifs, why do u use it or is it ur editor that does such

thanks and waitin reply

@all pls feel free to post ur own questions for explanations here
Re: Pls Explain This by smartsoft(m): 6:33pm On May 01, 2008
i don't know what you even meant
Re: Pls Explain This by aphoe(m): 9:29am On May 02, 2008
it's mainly to create blank images. sometime it's used to create balance in design

obviously u use photoshop/fireworks to design your web graphics. those guys must have put it there for one or 2 reasons. a number of the pple who wrote those apps are members of W3C or at least understand the w3c standards
Re: Pls Explain This by webguru(m): 5:36pm On May 02, 2008
thanks aphoe
Re: Pls Explain This by mavtrevor(m): 6:17pm On May 02, 2008
Sometimes you may want to creat blank space and you use it, it works fine but tricky sometimes.
Re: Pls Explain This by uspry1(f): 5:33pm On May 03, 2008
Prior to the adoption of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), the spacer GIF was a transparent image, often used to control blank space within a web page, that can be resized according to the width and height dimensions it is given.

Spacer GIFs are not browser specific. The reason a spacer GIF is invisible is so that an HTML developer can create a table cell and fill the background with a specific color that can be viewed through the transparent spacer GIF.

For instance, let's say the developer wants to create a blue box that is 500 x 500 pixels wide and high. Instead of using a separate blue graphic that is 500 x 500 pixels (taking up additional bandwidth), the developer can specify the table cell background color and specify the dimensions of the spacer GIF that already exists.

Source Cited: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacer_GIF

Usually HTML developer reply on using photoshop/firework software that automatically create space GIF when it export into Dreamweaver like @aphoe has said it all.
Re: Pls Explain This by ThePhantom(m): 1:49am On May 05, 2008
it is also used to set a column in a table as a fixed width
Re: Pls Explain This by yawatide(f): 8:35pm On May 28, 2008
listen to uspry1.

spacer gifs r sooo 1990s. you should be coding with web standards in mind. Take advantage of CSS/XHTML and all they have to offer.

I am contemplating proposing to the criminal courts at the hague that any designer who mentions spacer gif should be hung from the gonads.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me With Nigeria Mobile Sites / How To Build A Websie That Sells / The Best Blogging Advice I Have Ever Received

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.