Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,725 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? (2848 Views)

Power Failure: I Have Never Been This Sad For The Past 6 Years / Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / A Street In Onitsha When It Rains Lightly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? by oloriooko(m): 6:34pm On Jun 04, 2013
please will a phcn staff on this forum explain to me why there is power failure whenever its about to rain or it rains in 9ja? is our power system installations so fragile that they cannot withstand thunder storms or lightening? it really baffles me shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? by oloriooko(m): 8:12am On Jun 11, 2013
Is this the way power failures during rains occur in other countries in Africa? Even in the so called capital territory Abuja, everytime it rains there must be power outage, why?
Re: Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? by Nobody: 8:24am On Jun 11, 2013
I'v also wondered why too. Public power supply goes off in my area even with slightest of rains. I think its all down to the INCOMPETENCE and inefficiencies in the system. This is why some of us cant wait for the complete takeover of the distribution system by the private sector. I heard its now July ending. We'r waiting
Re: Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? by TonySpike: 8:26am On Jun 11, 2013
Tell your government to stop using overhead distribution lines. Developed countries mostly make use of underground distribution lines, hence, there is little or no power outages during rainfall. '

Overhead distribution lines are susceptible to discharged electrostatic charges during lightening breakdown, and hence, makes it vulnerable to power surge. A single lightening bolt carries in abundance millions of electron volts. Imagine that being channelled via distribution lines? That is enough to OVERFRY all your domestic electrical devices within an instant, including any human-being that interacts it. In other words, there will always be power outages in Nigeria during rainfall as long as overhead distribution line systems remain in vogue. Understood?

1 Like

Re: Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? by oloriooko(m): 10:44am On Jun 11, 2013
Tony Spike: Tell your government to stop using overhead distribution lines. Developed countries mostly make use of underground distribution lines, hence, there is little or no power outages during rainfall. '

Overhead distribution lines are susceptible to discharged electrostatic charges during lightening breakdown, and hence, makes it vulnerable to power surge. A single lightening bolt carries in abundance millions of electron volts. Imagine that being channelled via distribution lines? That is enough to OVERFRY all your domestic electrical devices in an instant, including any human-being that interacts it. In other words, there will always be power outages in Nigeria during rainfall as long as overhead distribution line systems remain in vogue. Understood?

does this means that some African countries with stable power supply during rainfalls deploy underground cabling in all installations?
but most places in Abuja use underground cables yet there outages during rainfall
Re: Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? by Afam4eva(m): 10:46am On Jun 11, 2013
I've been wanting to ask this question too. I'm always sad whenever the weather starts changing because i know if it starts raining, they'll most likely take the light.
Re: Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? by oloriooko(m): 11:12am On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva: I've been wanting to ask this question too. I'm always sad whenever the weather starts changing because i know if it starts raining, they'll most likely take the light.
just imagine! whenever it rains in my area, you are sure of outage at least for 24 hours, so terrible
Re: Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? by TonySpike: 11:22am On Jun 11, 2013
oloriooko:

does this means that some African countries with stable power supply during rainfalls deploy underground cabling in all installations?
but most places in Abuja use underground cables yet there outages during rainfall

Well, I can speak of South Africa because I was there for quite some time. Over 90% of the electricity delivered to consumers there is done via underground cabling distribution. I was at a part of Zambia recently and it seem that area made use of underground cabling too. So, I think that's a plus for those countries.

You see the power systems in Nigeria, especially the distribution systems are very flawed. I could start listing a number of things that have fallen short of international standards. Is it the overhead poles, poor cable stringing, insecure poles, improperly housed transformers, unprotected distribution lines e.t.c.? You see, by African standards, PHCN should be competing with the likes of ESKOM in South Africa. Unfortunately, corruption and mismanagement with active government interests destroyed PHCN over the years. With the recent privatisation, let's see if the new DISCOs can make some new changes. Personally, I've observed that many of the overhead distribution systems in a number of neighbourhoods are in a shocking state of disrepair. So, all I can say is that the power distribution system in Nigeria is both structurally weak and technically flawed. This is a major risk to both consumers and operators alike during rainfall, hence, electric power have to be switched off during rainfall.

I personally think the use of underground armored cables will help solve most of these problems, although very expensive and demands dedicated rights-of-way. My only fear is that it might inspire cable thieves...
Re: Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? by Beaf1: 11:25am On Jun 11, 2013
oloriooko:

^
The power is not generated from Abuja. It came from outside Abuja so if the cables in Abuja are underground the, feeder lines are not.

@post

Poor method of cabling is the cause. Heavy rainfall especially with strong wind can cause sparks. Also, effects of lightening like someone mentioned above is the reason they cut off light during rainfall.

Common sense should give you answers to these things. Just look around and use your sense.
@Poster, if you are above 20years, live in this country and still ask this question then I am disappointed. No offense please cheesy
Re: Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? by oloriooko(m): 11:30am On Jun 11, 2013
Tony Spike:

Well, I can speak of South Africa because I was there for quite some time. Over 90% of the electricity delivered to consumers there is done via underground cabling distribution. I was at a part of Zambia recently and it seem that area made use of underground cabling too. So, I think that's a plus for those countries.

You see the power systems in Nigeria, especially the distribution systems are very flawed. I could start listing a number of things that have fallen short of international standards. Is it the overhead poles, poor cable stringing, insecure poles, improperly housed transformers, unprotected distribution lines e.t.c.? You see, by African standards, PHCN should be competing with the likes of ESKOM in South Africa. Unfortunately, corruption and mismanagement with active government interests destroyed PHCN over the years. With the recent privatisation, let's see if the new DISCOs can make some new changes. Personally, I've observed that many of the overhead distribution systems in a number of neighbourhoods are in a shocking state of disrepair. So, all I can say is that the power distribution system in Nigeria is both structurally weak and technically flawed. This is a major risk to both consumers and operators alike during rainfall, hence, electric power have to be switched off during rainfall.

I personally think the use of underground armored cables will help solve most of these problems, although very expensive and demands dedicated rights-of-way. My only fear is that it might inspire cable thieves...
the only unfortunate thing if the system is going to be put into the right standard, its going to be very expensive and its the consumers that will eventually suffer it
Re: Why Power Failure Every Time It Rains In 9ja? by INTERMAN: 1:55am On May 04, 2018
I'v also wondered why too. Public power supply goes off in my area even with slightest of rains. I think its all down to the INCOMPETENCE and inefficiencies in the system. This is why some of us cant wait for the complete takeover of the distribution system by the private sector. I heard its now July ending. We'r waiting
and five years later under private sector. It still happens in ��

(1) (Reply)

Why Popular Young Shall Grow Boss Was Attacked / Dangote,Adenuga,Otedola,18 Others Make Forbes List. / Armoured Car Controversy: What Is Your Definition Of Corruption?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.