Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,742 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage (25415 Views)

Hair Breakage Remedy For Relaxed Hair / How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? / Help Help: Hair Breakage I Am Turning Bald In The Front Of My Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by Godmother(f): 11:40pm On Jun 07, 2013
Guys I seriously need help with my hair.It has been breaking terribly for a while now and its at a point where I feel like cutting d whole thing off. Someone advised me to use coconut oil saying it will revive my hair.

But I dnt knw how to use it. I heard it cud av a negative effect if applied wrongly. Do I apply it to dry hair or wet my hair and apply? And do I need to wash it off after applying or leave it in.

Pls I really need help frm those who have used coconut oil. I recently just got some and I'm desperate to use it to take my hair out of this embarassing state.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by onnari(f): 3:29am On Jun 08, 2013
Coconut oil is great for hair wet or dry, and doesn't have side effects, what you should be using to stop breakage is doing tea rinses. Ppl use tea or coffee but tea is better I.e green or black tea. Boil some water like 2 or 3 glasses, put in about 4 teabags and brew. Allow to cool, and rinse uR hair by pouring and repouring(u could use a pitcher or jug to catch the tea). Wear a shower cap and leave on for 45mins to an hour DO NOT GO UNDER A DRYER! Jst do ur regular biz around d house. When time elapses,rinse off, moisturize. Constant heat aint gud fr hair n air drying is normally better so u cld try air drying some times. Tea rinses stop breakage perfectly.
Ps- u don't have to wash off coconut oil frm ur hair. When u apply,leave it in. Other oils to try are castor oil and olive oil. They do wonders and don't exclude shea butter (ori). U could even put ur ori in a plastic bottle n place in a bowl of hot water so it melts, and u apply as oil.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by Nobody: 5:03am On Jun 08, 2013
Are you natural or relaxed? Hair breakage can be caused by improper care, so things you're doing to it, or it could be because of something else going on internally (i.e. you're not eating well, not drinking enough water, stress, etc). Why is your hair breaking? What were you (are you) doing to it to cause the breakage? You need to know the cause first before looking for a solution. Once you know the cause, the next thing you should do is get a good trim and get rid of the damaged ends.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by Godmother(f): 5:11am On Jun 08, 2013
Thanks Onnari.

@ Yields

I can't say exactly why its breaking.used to have really long n lustrous hair. Just noticed its no longer that way
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by Nobody: 5:32am On Jun 08, 2013
Godmother: It has been breaking terribly for a while now

Godmother: Just noticed its no longer that way

You're contradicting yourself.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by onnari(f): 7:12am On Jun 08, 2013
Yeah,breakage is caused by a number of things including improper hair care and nutrition n even stress.weigth loss n dieting but shedding/breakage is something we all experience and have to remedy. On the average women could loose 50-100 hairs daily Tea rinses are a sure treatment/remedy. Try it out. You could still get a trim to eliminate split ends.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by Godmother(f): 8:42am On Jun 08, 2013
@ Yield

How am I contradicting myself. I said my hair is breaking. It used to be long but is no longer that way.

@ Onnari

I ll try d tea rinse technique. Cos my situation is frustratin
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by onnari(f): 12:08pm On Jun 08, 2013
Pls do,u won't regret it. If however black tea makes ur hair hard, then u can switch to green tea. Ald best!
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:38pm On Jun 08, 2013
Onnari, thanks for the info. I'll also encourage Godmother to do protein treatment using eggs to strengthen her hair and oil treatment for moisturising.

Let her trim the ends to pave way for healthier hair and be gentle when brushing, combing, washing, braiding and loosening her hair.

When she wants to loosen her hair, let her do it step by step; handling one section then the next.

I've just loosen my a month and 3 weeks natural braid(my own hair, no extensions). We all know the edges get matted(stick together with dirts). So I damped it with water(using spray/spritz bottle) from the roots and stopped before I reached the meeting point of natural and relaxed hair.

Before then, I used a rat tail comb to comb the relaxed ends first to make way for easy combing should the water sprayed get to it due to the massaging action being performed.

I didn't want the relaxed hair too damped because it would cause the relaxed hair to cluster together hence making combing a bit difficult.

I massaged the damped part to loosen any matted hair and to allow easy combing. I added shea butter to seal in moisture and make the hair easy to manage.

As I massaged, the shed hair came off till I was okay that the hair was "combable". So I combed it removing tangled hair and calabarised it.

When I loosen my hair, I ALWAYS leave it calabarised till I'm ready on what next to do to it. I love to leave my hair undisturbed. The more we manipulate our hair, the more breakage we experience.

Onnari, thanks for bringing my attention to the tea rinse; I've kinda ignored it for long. I'll continue with it.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by onnari(f): 9:36pm On Jun 08, 2013
Ur absolutely ryt feryntorlah, eggs are awesome for protein treatments. Avocado as well.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by ferhyntorlah(f): 9:52pm On Jun 08, 2013
onnari :
Ur absolutely ryt feryntorlah, eggs are awesome for protein treatments. Avocado as well.

I've heard so much about avocado that I had to beg popsy to help me get form the woman he buys his fruits from but was told it was out of season till December.

So I had to use shea butter in place of it with eggs for my hair protein treatment(1st time in a looooong while) and it strengthened my hair. I did it just before I loosened my hair to reduce breakage.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by onnari(f): 10:48pm On Jun 08, 2013
December? D@s odd cos I even spotted some today! Check the markets as well. D@ must have given great results @ sheabutter + eggs. Do u know?of late I'v been toying with the idea of going natural.....havnt made my mind up yet. Well, I may or may not go au naturel, but I'm liking the fact that women of colour in different parts of the world are trying it out.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:06pm On Jun 08, 2013
I've seen some that look like avocado but I thought they were pears. Maybe I'll ask when next I pass the route.

I'm not yet going natural. Just leaving my hair to grow in its pristine form. I will still touch it up when I'm ready. I don't think I have that patience to handle natural hair; I prefer in between.

I prefer texlaxing; I don't want my hair to be bone straight! Just soft and manageable but strong unlike bone straight relaxed hair.

The last time I applied relaxer was in Dec 2011. I intended touching up but kept postponing till one year passed. Right now, I'm 17month post relaxer(I hope I got that right?).
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by onnari(f): 11:26pm On Jun 08, 2013
D@s probly what u saw, avocado pears. Just open up, spoon out the content, mash it up, apply,rinse after some minutes. 17 months! Wow! I relax my hair twice a year, wish I could leave it longer :-( I jst decided to stay away from weaves for a while and pay more attention to my hair. It's about time lol!
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:28am On Jun 09, 2013
Thanks Onnari. I'll get them for my conditioning treatment. I can't wait to have it on my hair. Thanks again. Kisses!
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by rofemiguwa(f): 8:55pm On Jun 13, 2013
Please where can I get pure coconut oil to buy.I have searched the whole lagos market and beauty shops.all I  is stuffs that have coconut oil in it.not pure cocnut oil.pls help a sister out
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by Godmother(f): 9:24pm On Jun 13, 2013
^^^ I just got mine. I went to a health centre to buy so I can be sure of what I'm getting. Most pregnamt and nursing mothers usually go there and buy this coconut oil for their babies.

So check out any health centre around you. I'm sure you'll get to buy there
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by rofemiguwa(f): 12:21am On Jun 16, 2013
Godmother please how much did u get it for and wat was the quantity like.please reply.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by hermosa(f): 1:02pm On Jun 16, 2013
@rofemiguwa you can also go to todaysnair. and order virgin coconut oil and other carries and essential oils that are used in hair growth.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by uzoo: 1:51pm On Jun 16, 2013
onnari :
Coconut oil is great for hair wet or dry, and doesn't have side effects, what you should be using to stop breakage is doing tea rinses. Ppl use tea or coffee but tea is better I.e green or black tea. Boil some water like 2 or 3 glasses, put in about 4 teabags and brew. Allow to cool, and rinse uR hair by pouring and repouring(u could use a pitcher or jug to catch the tea). Wear a shower cap and leave on for 45mins to an hour DO NOT GO UNDER A DRYER! Jst do ur regular biz around d house. When time elapses,rinse off, moisturize. Constant heat aint gud fr hair n air drying is normally better so u cld try air drying some times. Tea rinses stop breakage perfectly.
Ps- u don't have to wash off coconut oil frm ur hair. When u apply,leave it in. Other oils to try are castor oil and olive oil. They do wonders and don't exclude shea butter (ori). U could even put ur ori in a plastic bottle n place in a bowl of hot water so it melts, and u apply as oil.

You are definitely right about the Tea Rinse. I do a tea rinse once or twice a month and its usually immediately after I do my Co- Wash,( washing with a conditioner not shampoo)I pour the entire thing on my hair , and when I comb through I wont find more than 3 strands on the comb compared to few months back when it will be a handful (this was before I started the tea rinse).

I Use 3 ballerina Herbal tea, I brew two bags , cos I've got really full and coarse hair.

@Godmother

this is how to use coconut oil.

after washing your hair with a conditioner , let it dry out( don't use heat dryers)

then apply a moisturizer ( it could be a water based one like 911 LEAVE IN CONDITIONER, or JUST FOR ME DETANGLING CONDITIONER, or ORGANIC ROOTS SHEA BUTTER DETANGLING MOISTURISER )

apply mostly at the ends then gradually work your way down and massage.

to seal in the moisturiser and prevent dryness which is what causes the breakage you apply COCONUT OIL TO THE HAIR AT TH ENDS.

Do this at least 3 times a week.

You can also do the tea rinse every 2 or 3 weeks. depending on how much of your hair is breaking.

Hope this helps.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jun 16, 2013
How i use coconut oil:
I mist my hair with water and apply coconut oil to it, then cover with a shower cap for like an hour. Then rinse...its call pre-pooing. After co-washing, i apply my leave in conditioner, some more coconut oil to the ends and seal it all in with shea butter.

I do not use coconut oil as a sealant for my hair because its not effective that way, coconut oil is one of those oil that can actually be absorbed by the hair (good thing), thus making it ineffective to seal.

If ur experiencing breakage you have to eliminate the source of breakage, trim your ends and then start treating your hair. Ways to minimise breakage:

Trim ends when needed
Sleep on a satin pillow case/ use satin bonnet when sleeping
Keep hair in protective styles eg buns
Reduce relaxer/coloring...eliminate if possible.
Keep a good moisture/protein balance in hair.

HTH smiley
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by NappilyNigerian(f): 2:07pm On Oct 07, 2013
Godmother: Guys I seriously need help with my hair.It has been breaking terribly for a while now and its at a point where I feel like cutting d whole thing off. Someone advised me to use coconut oil saying it will revive my hair.

But I dnt knw how to use it. I heard it cud av a negative effect if applied wrongly. Do I apply it to dry hair or wet my hair and apply? And do I need to wash it off after applying or leave it in.

Pls I really need help frm those who have used coconut oil. I recently just got some and I'm desperate to use it to take my hair out of this embarassing state.

Hi dear, I've been using coconut oil for two months now and I must say, it's helped with length retention and I'm natural.

I learnt this tip from Indian/Malay bloggers. It's their cultural practice for retaining length and thus grow hair long.

Everyday, warm up a tablespoon of coconut oil (you may substitute with palmkernel oil. they have similar contents). Then apply to dry hair starting from your scalp and massaging gently down the length of your hair.

Then the night before you wash your hair, warm a larger quantity of coconut oil mixed with castor oil and apply to your scalp and hair until your hair is completely saturated with oil. Cover with a shower cap and wrap with a scarf to prevent oily pillows.

In the morning, wash your hair using 'shikakai' powder or soapnuts mixed with water and neem seed oil.
Start with your roots then work down to the length of your hair.
It's difficult to find shikakai powder but Keracare Cleansing Cream with shikakai, neem seed oil, amla oil and argan oil as the main ingredients is a really good substitute. You can purchase it at TwentySix85.com

Then after washing, blot your hair dry with a microfiber towel or cotton shirt.

When your hair is about 90% dry, apply coconut oil (like the daily treatment) and comb through with a wide tooth comb.

Then once a month or once in two months, you can do a henna gloss.

For more details, visit www.nappilynigeriangirl..com

hope this helps.

This is my current regimen and I'm pleased with the results.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by uzoo: 3:53pm On Oct 07, 2013
@NappilyNigerian

Lovely hair you got there , and from what i can see,your hair looks really soft for a Natural .The Coconut oil is really good

1 Like

Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by NappilyNigerian(f): 10:19pm On Oct 07, 2013
uzoo: @NappilyNigerian

Lovely hair you got there , and from what i can see,your hair looks really soft for a Natural .The Coconut oil is really good

Thank you, Uzoo. The coconut oil is really good. My hair was blowdried and stretched. A good tip to keep the hair soft is the use of gentle moisturising shampoo and conditioners. I discovered my hair feels like an iron sponge when I use some harsh drying hair products.

I have a list of products I've noticed give good results. They work well for African hair....relaxed or natural.

www.nappilynigeriangirl..com
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by Ruthioreth(f): 12:59am On Oct 10, 2013
Hi guys,Ʈƕǎƞӄs for †ђξ information,its hard to get coconut oil here,can I substitute it wit palm kernel oil.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by Cmfrt001(f): 9:30am On Oct 10, 2013
onnari :
I totally agree especially with the shea butter(ori) because it has really worked for me. Coconut oil is good as well. But when I made use of it, I didn't just use it allow. I made a combition of both the coconut oil and shea butter. And now, u don't want to know the difference. Just a tip, my hair rare breaks. Please, also mind the type of hair shampoo n conditionals you use. I will recommend 'head n shoulder shampoo' for you. Give it a try n try as much as possible to always treat your hair like making use of 'placenta' ask for it @ any saloon. Wish you all the best and can't wait to hear your own testimony.*cheers*
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by NappilyNigerian(f): 10:27am On Oct 10, 2013
Ruth ioreth: Hi guys,Ʈƕǎƞӄs for †ђξ information,its hard to get coconut oil here,can I substitute it wit palm kernel oil.

Yes you can. They have similar content.
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by Ruthioreth(f): 12:48pm On Oct 10, 2013
Ʈƕǎƞӄs guys ,
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by victoriousvic1: 3:04am On Oct 12, 2013
please, wht kind of tea can b used 2 rinse d hair. Is it burnvita or lipton. Pls help i dnt undstnd
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by victoriousvic1: 2:33pm On Oct 12, 2013
victorious vic: please, wht kind of tea can b used 2 rinse d hair. Is it burnvita or lipton. Pls help i dnt undstnd
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by mspee(f): 4:17pm On Oct 12, 2013
victorious vic: please, wht kind of tea can b used 2 rinse d hair. Is it burnvita or lipton. Pls help i dnt undstnd

cheesy cheesy
Re: How Do I Use Coconut Oil To Stop Hair Breakage by NappilyNigerian(f): 5:58pm On Oct 12, 2013

Lol! It's tea of the Lipton variety...no milk added. Green Tea or Black Tea. It's written on the pack.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Men's Fashion: Rules To Follow / You’re Not Allowed Buy This Luxury Wristwatch Unless You Buy A FORD GT Supercar! / High Cheek Bones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.