Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Ask A Rastafarian A Question - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ask A Rastafarian A Question (6168 Views)

7 Things You Don't Know About The Rastafarian Messiah; Emperor Haile Selasie / This Interview Debunks Popular Rastafarian Belief That Haile Selasie Is God!!!!! / Where Can My Rastafarian Friend Get Good Ganja In Abuja? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ask A Rastafarian A Question by smile4kenn(m): 11:36am On May 05, 2008
This is only a rough outline of the religion.

Founder: Marcus Garvey's philosophy is credited as the beginning point.

Founding Date: 1930

Organization Structure: No official church buildings or leaders. Each individual group and person is autonomous.

Unique Terms: Babylon is Jamaica or the establishment. I and I refers to God in all or the brotherhood of mankind

Other Names: Ras Tafari and Rastas

While it is most often associated with dreadlocks, smoking of marijuana and reggae music, the Rastafarian religion is much more than simply a religion of Jamaica. With its beginnings in the Jamaican slums, Rastafarianism has spread throughout the world and currently has a membership of over 700,000 (The Rastafarians: Sounds of Cultural Dissonance, Leonard E. Barrett, Sr., p. viii).

The Rastafarian religion originated in Africa. It is not just a religion, but a way of life. Rastafarians speak out against; poverty, oppression and inequality, not just religious ideas but global problems. Rastafarians will use the Bible for guidence.

One of the more obvious symbols of the Rastafarians are colours. These are red, gold, and green. These colours were taken from the Garvey movement. The colour red stands for the Church Triumphant which is the church of the Rastas. It also symbolises the blood that martyrs have shed in the history of the Rastas. The yellow represents the wealth of the homeland. Green represents the beauty and vegetation of Ethiopia, the promised land. Sometimes black is used to represent the colour of Africans, to whom 98% of the Jamaicans are descended

Ganja, is used for religious purposes for Rastafarians. Its use is written in the Bible in Psalms 104:14, "He causeth the grass for the cattle, and herb for the service of man". The use of this herb is very extensive among the Rastas not only for spiritual purposes as in their Nyabingi celebration, but also for medicinal purposes for colds and such. The following are a few of the many Biblical texts that Rasta embrace as reasons Jah, gave for the use of the herb:

". . . thou shalt eat the herb of the field " (Genesis 3:18)

". . . eat every herb of the land " (Exodus 10:12
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by Cayon(f): 3:52am On May 06, 2008
Does one have to be a dread to be a rasta?
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by Ganjaseed: 12:05pm On May 08, 2008
@Cayon (f)

No Sister, one does not need to have dreadlocks to be a rasta, its a divine conception of the hart just like every other faithfull believer.

Jah bless !!!

1 Like

Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by lucabrasi(m): 11:09pm On May 09, 2008
what are rastafarian's views on islam?im a christian but i rarely hear them talk about islam or the muslim way of things
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by JayFK(m): 12:33am On May 10, 2008
Rastafarianism is probably one of the funniest religions in my opinion, just a gross misunderstanding and misinterpretation of the bible. But hey whatever floats your boat, at least you're peaceful and your not hurting anyone so its all good, unlike some other religions, MALSI.
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by Cayon(f): 3:35am On May 11, 2008
Ganjaseed:

@Cayon (f) No Sister, one does not need to have dreadlocks to be a rasta, its a divine conception of the hart just like every other faithfull believer.Jah bless !!!
Well I never see a bald head rasta. grin grin In fact I think to be a rasta you have to have dreadlocks. However, having dreadlocks don't mean you area rasta. undecided wink cheesy
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by smile4kenn(m): 5:49pm On May 11, 2008
Rastafarian is not a funny religion
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by bawomolo(m): 12:37am On May 12, 2008
it is a funny religion. a distorted version of the bible is just plain comedy.
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by brizmaleti: 1:14am On May 12, 2008
LOL, Na wa ooo, bon bon clat rasta
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by porkpie(m): 4:46pm On Jul 10, 2008
Me feel lota people dont ovestand wa de dread is all abot! it a symbol of spiritual puirty, ita unite dready with da pawa of Trinity HIM, Elect of God so dem se (Ras Selassie) dou me love reggea music never wan de Ras believ cos is a confusion in da mind of da fibble. Hey dready repent cos RAS SELASIE say imi no God! why ya waste ya time.
YHY GOD loves you IM wan give life eternal. Do I AHEAR YA SE IRIE. Wadada
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by porkpie(m): 4:58pm On Jul 10, 2008
Rastafarinsm is not a religion it a life style. it is movement for da emancipaton of the Black race from imperial predator.
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by lucabrasi(m): 5:11pm On Jul 10, 2008
porkpie:

Me feel lota people don't ovestand wa de dread is all abot! it a symbol of spiritual puirty, ita unite dready with da pawa of Trinity HIM, Elect of God so them se (Ras Selassie) dou me love reggea music never wan de Ras believ because is a confusion in da mind of da fibble. Hey dready repent because RAS SELASIE say imi no God! why ya waste ya time.
YHY GOD loves you IM wan give life eternal. Do I AHEAR YA SE IRIE. Wadada
rasta wasiu pls break it down to our understanding,why dont u leave the whole i and i to jamaican rastas and speak like a rasta based in ;lagos smiley
@topic
what are the rasta's views on death and burial and also food,cooking,and feeding generally
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by morpheus24: 5:22pm On Jul 10, 2008
What has Being black got to do with Rasta?

If i don' amoke Ganja can i still be a rasta

Why is it only Ganja that is good for smoking, why stop there LSD, Cocaine, All is a plant?

Why are there so many of you in the psych ward at mental hospitals?
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by rotimy(m): 7:32pm On Jul 10, 2008
Gangaseed is totally ignorant of Rasta religion! He was only seeing the surface!

The birth of the movement of Rastafari can be officially fixed in Ethiopia during the coronation of the prince Ras Tafari Makonnen (Haile Selassie) on November 2, 1930. This was no ordinary event in Jamaica because a year earlier Marcus Mossiah Garvey had a prophetic vision, seeing a king be crowned in Africa.
After the coronation of His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I (Power of the Trinity), several individuals searched the Bible for confirmation and found it in the Psalms: "A Prince shall come out of Egypt, and Ethiopia shall soon stretch out her hand unto Jah". The prophecy was fullfilled and these people were the first Rastafarians.
Apart from carrying the legal title "King of Kings, Lord of Lords, conquering Lion of the tribe of Judah" that is written in Revelations, Haile Selassie is the 225th descendant of King Salomon, son of David, and the Queen of Sheba.
-source=http://www.earthcultureroots.com/rastafarism.html
On the surface, it looks like a religion but any baby Bible Collage Graduate knows that Rastafarism is a modern CULT. the frist sign of a cult is misquoting the Scriptures to suit their purposes like AMORC,GRAIL,ECKANKAR,RASTAS ETC.
Second sign is the demotion of God. THe third is DEITIFICATION OR DIVININZATION OF MAN which simply means turning a man to a deity or divine person for worship like Olumba Obu,Sat Guru Maharaji, jesus of Oyinbo and of course, Emeperor Halie Selassie whom they worship as Christ and Messiah.
Ganja or marijuana is the strong weed that usually open them up to the spirit world for satanic anointing for music, sex orgy and violence
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by lucabrasi(m): 7:48pm On Jul 10, 2008
also i heard cause ethiopia and by extension haile selassie was the only country/nation the colonialists could not defeat,neither were they ever taken in slavery
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by morpheus24: 8:03pm On Jul 10, 2008
lucabrasi:

also i heard cause ethiopia and by extension haile selassie was the only country/nation the colonialists could not defeat,neither were they ever taken in slavery

By share luck I might add
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by rotimy(m): 9:53pm On Jul 10, 2008
My advice to any serious Christian or muslim is to stay away from the Rastas! They are using "liberation songs" to cover up their cult's mask which is worship of human being as the Christ and the LORD
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by RedHotChic(f): 12:35am On Jul 11, 2008
Why do you guys worship haille Selassie?
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by lucabrasi(m): 1:31am On Jul 11, 2008
morpheus24:

hmmn really,
@poster
would thou pls answer my questions above pls
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by KarmaMod(f): 1:32am On Jul 11, 2008
For people who claim to love and respect 'Nubian queens", why cant they ever stick to ONE?
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by MostHigh: 2:13pm On May 08, 2013
rotimy: My advice to any serious Christian or muslim is to stay away from the Rastas! They are using "liberation songs" to cover up their cult's mask which is worship of human being as the Christ and the LORD

Was Yashua not a human being?

Corect me if I am wrong
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by MostHigh: 2:15pm On May 08, 2013
RedHotChic: Why do you guys worship haille Selassie?

CauseNo one else in our time carries the title THE LION OF JUDAH
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by MostHigh: 2:17pm On May 08, 2013
morpheus24:

I am sure you think that casablanca and monrovia meeting at addis ababa in 1963 under the invitation and guidance of THE LION OF JUDAH was by luck also?
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by MostHigh: 2:25pm On May 08, 2013
morpheus24: What has Being black got to do with Rasta?

If i don' amoke Ganja can i still be a rasta

Why is it only Ganja that is good for smoking, why stop there LSD, Cocaine, All is a plant?

Why are there so many of you in the psych ward at mental hospitals?

1. Girmawi Kadamawi Haile Selassie is the LION OF JUDAH presiding over the black house of david and by extension the world

2.Sure you can, Rastafari is not exclusively about smoking Ganja, ganja is a religouse sacrament.

3.Well from study you will know that it is for the healing of the nations also note that

4. Well that is just plain silly.
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by MostHigh: 2:31pm On May 08, 2013
JayFK: Rastafarianism is probably one of the funniest religions in my opinion, just a gross misunderstanding and misinterpretation of the bible. But hey whatever floats your boat, at least you're peaceful and your not hurting anyone so its all good, unlike some other religions, MALSI.

so you say.

back it up.
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by MostHigh: 2:35pm On May 08, 2013
Just a note for the OP

It is rastafari as opposed to rastafarian

Rastafarian denotes isms and schisms

1 Like

Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by FromGuiriga(m): 6:25pm On May 08, 2013

Rastafari is not a religion. A rasta is one who seeks truth and peace with his fellow man.
Non-political, non-religious, non-violent and non-affiliated. That's the message. God lives within man.
When the bible talks about "Obey your master..." the Europeans took it as they should be rulers and such nonsense.
The master is the earth! No man has the right to rule another man. That is men invention from his own imagination.

Africa is home and it awaits her children. And Yes, we are coming home, Most High willing!
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by FromGuiriga(m): 6:32pm On May 08, 2013
Cayon: Does one have to be a dread to be a rasta?

From the moment you begin to search for truth, Rastafari has called. Dreads are your outward identity to a certain way of life. But you don't have to be a dread. No. Rasta is a heart thing. Not a hair thing.

Give thanks!
Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by FromGuiriga(m): 6:40pm On May 08, 2013
rotimy: Gangaseed is totally ignorant of Rasta religion! He was only seeing the surface!

The birth of the movement of Rastafari can be officially fixed in Ethiopia during the coronation of the prince Ras Tafari Makonnen (Haile Selassie) on November 2, 1930. This was no ordinary event in Jamaica because a year earlier Marcus Mossiah Garvey had a prophetic vision, seeing a king be crowned in Africa.
After the coronation of His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I (Power of the Trinity), several individuals searched the Bible for confirmation and found it in the Psalms: "A Prince shall come out of Egypt, and Ethiopia shall soon stretch out her hand unto Jah". The prophecy was fullfilled and these people were the first Rastafarians.
Apart from carrying the legal title "King of Kings, Lord of Lords, conquering Lion of the tribe of Judah" that is written in Revelations, Haile Selassie is the 225th descendant of King Salomon, son of David, and the Queen of Sheba.
-source=http://www.earthcultureroots.com/rastafarism.html
On the surface, it looks like a religion but any baby Bible Collage Graduate knows that Rastafarism is a modern CULT. the frist sign of a cult is misquoting the Scriptures to suit their purposes like AMORC,GRAIL,ECKANKAR,RASTAS ETC.
Second sign is the demotion of God. THe third is DEITIFICATION OR DIVININZATION OF MAN which simply means turning a man to a deity or divine person for worship like Olumba Obu,Sat Guru Maharaji, jesus of Oyinbo and of course, Emeperor Halie Selassie whom they worship as Christ and Messiah.
Ganja or marijuana is the strong weed that usually open them up to the spirit world for satanic anointing for music, sex orgy and violence

Every religion is a cult. Why don't these bible college graduate you are citing don't mention that.
Their degrees and biblical studies fails them and you here.
Do you know where Satan is?

Give thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by FromGuiriga(m): 6:53pm On May 08, 2013
rotimy: My advice to any serious Christian or muslim is to stay away from the Rastas! They are using "liberation songs" to cover up their cult's mask which is worship of human being as the Christ and the LORD

Why would you advise anyone to stay away from someone who wants to live in peace with his fellow negihbor?
Tell me or any Rastafari that went around the world killin people to convert them to Rsatafari.

The teaching of the Christ was to love their God and love their neighbor as themselves. You come here and advise a Christian or a Muslim against this? Why?

Many people have come to seek for truth through this songs. Their religious books or churches did not do this. Why advise someone against this?

Any religion is a cult. Anyone with a pulse knows this.

Look, the Europeans that took the Africans and enslave them, were serious Christians. Do you know that?

Give thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by FromGuiriga(m): 7:00pm On May 08, 2013
KarmaMod: For people who claim to love and respect 'Nubian queens", why cant they ever stick to ONE?

Your commitment is to your husband. If you do not agree with his ways then you don't get involve with him. Your question is one that needs to be asked prior to YOU making a commitment.

Give thanks.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Rastafarian A Question by FromGuiriga(m): 7:06pm On May 08, 2013
MostHigh:

Was Yashua not a human being?

Corect me if I am wrong

You are not wrong. Yashua was flesh and blood. The Christians don't understand that when they accept the Christ they accept the anointed of The Most High God. This is reveal in man.

Some folks fight what they don't understand. But let a white preacher tell them all type of nonsense about Jesus. That they believe without question.

Give thanks for the reasoning!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? / Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers / How We Got Here And How We Can Get There

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.