Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

American Women That Marry Nigerian Men - Culture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men (223131 Views)

Are African Women Jealous Of African American Women's "Natural" Lighter Skin? / Why Do African Women Dislike African American Women? / Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by MrsChima(f): 8:11pm On Feb 05, 2013
Olushola_Odeh: That's just a lazy posman who was looking for opportunity..e May God forbid has nothing to do with culture.

No...it has nothing to do with culture. There is no such thing as evil culture. It is a matter of upbringings and exposures.

Not everyone has the blessing of good characters.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by MrsChima(f): 8:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
Brokenheart

It is unfortunate that you went through that but you made a choice. It wasn't a good choice and you need to make a decision of how you will live your life from here on out. Do not allow the man to take all of you. It will be hard to heal because you are hurt and love him appareniedtly.

You can call the registry in Nigeria to see if he is married via registry...if he is not...it will not change the fact if he is married traditionally.

You can put out an ad searching for your husband...he has 30 days to respond...if he doesn't respond...you can divorce him for abandonment.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Princess1982(f): 5:48am On Feb 06, 2013
Heart broken if he really just married you for a green card then you should contact your local immigration office. They will be able to advise you better but are you sure he didn't love you at one point of time then grew tired of you and now your just bitter because he left you and now you want to see him deported?
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Blyss: 7:04am On Feb 06, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Didn't you supposedly married a Nigerian chick What is the difference between a Nigerian woman and a Nigerian man

I will wait.

You can't be serious with this question. First of all you know as well as I do that it is EXTREMELY unlikely that an African woman who's married would be over here in the US without her husband being here as well, and keeping close tabs on her. Secondly, women are more sentimental, and thus foreign women are much more likely than their male counterparts to look for and settled down with a male citizen who they actually desire to settled down with for a genuine lasting married life.

Multiple times more African males, especially Nigerian males.. are involved in and are thrown out of this nation for being involved in "Green Card Marriages", some of which involve payments to the fakes spouse for the service, and even more in which involved them conning some silly girl into thinking they actually wanted a lasting genuine relationship with them.. and then they bounce when they get their citizenship, or busted. cheesy

All of the immigrant African females I've known over the years who'm married American citizens are/were in genuine long lasting relationships with their partners, while only about 1/4 of their male counterparts I can same the same of. cheesy The simple facts are that it's no where near as much of a gamble for a American male to marry an African female as it is for an American female to marry an African male; statistics back this up. If you've found a genuine honest one, then good for you for beating the odds.

3 Likes

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by MrsChima(f): 6:17pm On Feb 06, 2013
LMAO@that bullshit above. grin grin grin grin

I see why Africans on this site go hard at you. It is hard to convince them Black American men aren't all dumb and uneducated when you keep proving their point.

Where is the source for the mathematical figures you threw out?

I will wait.

Oh...you are right...I am blessed that I TOOK MY TIME and waited for the right man REGARDLESS of his heritage. Trifling and dirty men COME IN ALL HERITAGES, SIZES, AND LOCATIONS. You wouldn't know about that. wink

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by MrsChima(f): 6:22pm On Feb 06, 2013
Princess1982: Heart broken if he really just married you for a green card then you should contact your local immigration office. They will be able to advise you better but are you sure he didn't love you at one point of time then grew tired of you and now your just bitter because he left you and now you want to see him deported?

In order to get an annulment the marriage has to be less than three months in some states, it is obvious some deception occurred and if he has a wife in Nigeria...why would she stay with him

If there aren't any wives or deception then it is possible that she is scorned but we must gather all information before casting a judgement.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Blyss: 12:34am On Feb 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

I see why Africans on this site go hard at you. It is hard to convince them Black American men aren't all dumb and uneducated when you keep proving their point.

I will wait.

Oh...you are right...I am blessed that I TOOK MY TIME and waited for the right man REGARDLESS of his heritage. Trifling and dirty men COME IN ALL HERITAGES, SIZES, AND LOCATIONS. You wouldn't know about that. wink

Awww, did I hit a nerve sis? smiley There's no need in denying the obvious. kiss

2 Likes

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by MrsChima(f): 2:58am On Feb 07, 2013
Blyss:
Awww, did I hit a nerve sis? smiley There's no need in denying the obvious. kiss

Oh...your compliment was supposed to hit a nerve I am proud of my choice and made a damn good one. wink

You are right...lets not deny the obvious that you can't produce any mathematical facts of your bullshit and that it is very seldom African girls born to African parents date/marry Black American boys. grin grin

Yeah...lets not deny the obvious. cheesy BTW: I am not your sister...never was nor never would be.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Blyss: 8:34am On Feb 08, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Oh...your compliment was supposed to hit a nerve I am proud of my choice and made a damn good one. wink

You are right...lets not deny the obvious that you can't produce any mathematical facts of your bullshit and that it is very seldom African girls born to African parents date/marry Black American boys. grin grin

Yeah...lets not deny the obvious. cheesy BTW: I am not your sister...never was nor never would be.

LOL, why are you always so moody? You need to relax sometimes, sis. smiley

2 Likes

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by OneNaira6: 10:09am On Feb 08, 2013
nonda510: I am a college educated African American women, who dated a Igbo man for six years before marrying him. I was pursuing my college education. I thought he was pursuing his business. I thought we had a wonderful relationship grin until I decided to go to Nigeria to marry him. The day before marrying him, I found messages from other women where they both flirting with each other. After we married and I returned to the U.S. all hell brok e loose. I started too receive phone calls from different people in Nigeria. A month later, someone emailed me several emails where my now husband was communicating with other women asking them to marry him, he has nude pictures on my computer, and saved messages from other women. To make matters worst, he does not work, did not pay for the ring, and has not given me a penny since we have been married (8months). He told me it is a part of the culture for a husband to do nothing. However, when he gets to the U.S. he will find a job. Meanwhile, he hang out with his friends and do things for his family. He will pick and choose when he wants to talk to me on the phone.

The question, I pose is this, Is this really an African Igbo cultural thing?

He lied to you. Igbo take marriage and family extremely serious, ask anyone. If you marry an Igbo man and that nigg@ isn't doing his job as a husband and treating you like sh1t then that nigg@ is using you. Divorce but If you want to hold onto that relationship, my advice seek out relatives of his. One thing we don't like is being disgraced among our family. The only time I tell a woman to nag is this time. Complain, complain, complain and nag as he11 to his family. Once the name a no good, dead beat, cheating, husband start spreading among his people, that nigg@ will do a 360 on you.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by mystikc77: 6:09am On Feb 10, 2013
BrokenHeart: No one is coming here to be abused. We are asking questions because I am going to be real here American men do not do things like this. We have tried to be respectful towards Nigerians, and Nigerian culture, and basically what i know now i would not even post. But a lazy American husband would still bring something to the table, and cook dinner. American women who marry Nigerian men are not desperate. Most likely are college educated. I am sorry Americans tend to be more honest, and when we love we love. But no one is going to sponsor some lazy ass liar and bring them to America here. This would be viewed as a security issue for my country sponsoring some fake oko. My fake husband can stay in 9ja until he dies. Just want to know if the different ages on the passport and National ID card can help for an annulment or divorce for marriage fraud. and I am trying to find a marriage registry site online to see if I can research his marriage/marriges. If anyone has any information as to whether there is an online wedding registry site it would be greatly appreciated, I can and will find someone else that is real like the other ladies who went through this marriage scam. The men who did this are criminals, and you would think Nigerians would be ashamed of all this. The corruption problems are so deep there, that they may be in a lot of the general population, not just the government officials. In my country if a man did this he would be viewed as a criminal, and be arrested. This should be unacceptable what is going on. All this scamming effects your economy and tourism potentials, and even job opportunities. This effects the way Nigeria is viewed globally. Eventually enough Americans will not trust Nigerians's period. I can divorce my criminal for very little money, but I do not recognize this as a valid marriage, and I am going to try for an annulment. Maybe any of us who have been through this ordeal should contact the Nigerian Embassy, and let them know who the duper is, and find out how to file marriage fraud charges in Nigeria instead of asking for help here. I will not even admit I am married to this person in my country. And that marriage certificate he will never get his hands on in life. Ladies keep your marriage certificates because these men will marry another victim, and the proof what happened is with you, and keeping the marriage certificate can lead one day to criminal prosecution for bigamy, or someone who committed marriage fraud. Its 2-10 years imprisonment if you remember what they told us at the marraige registry, and that is not imprisonment for us. It is for the men who have lied to us, married for a possbile green card, and/ or committed bigamy, and most likely paid bribes. It's just shameful what is going on really.

How to File an Immigration Marriage Fraud Complaint... USA

Immigration marriage fraud is a serious offense that can lead to deportation. Upon conviction, the U.S. citizen and the foreign national can face up to a $250,000 penalty along with five years in federal prison. Countless people attempt to gain legal status in the United States by entering into a sham or fraudulent marriage. Even if a person is able to deceive the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to obtain a green card, the status can be revoked if the USCIS uncovers the sham.

How to File for U.S. Immigration Fraud How to Report My Husband Who Married Me Just for a Green Card

Instructions
Gather as much relevant information as possible, such as the sponsor or petitioner's name, the beneficiary's name and their address--if they live together. Facts like the foreign national's alien number (A#) or the citizen's Social Security number also are helpful but might be difficult to obtain.

Contact the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ice.gov) by telephone at (866) DHS-2-ICE.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 13, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Thats true but I don't like it when people flip it to make it seem as if AA guys are getting turned down by African women. A lot of AA guys go for mixed or white american women more so than they go for african women or even asian women; My dad and bf are prime examples.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by tpia5: 4:39pm On Feb 13, 2013
i think guys generally dont waste their time when women do not seem overly interested in them.

unless there are other factors involved such as material gain of some sort, they prefer not stressing themselves out over women who dont seem to "dig" them, compared to women who do.

and when you have a larger pool of women to choose from, such as is obtained in america, they'll definitely just stick to the ones who are more open to them (mainly the non-africans of other nationalities and races).

african women can be very reserved, traditional minded and tend not to be into AA men so much, unless they spent a long time abroad or were born and raised there.

so i doubt AA males would consider them a priority when deciding who to date. Its extra work, so to speak.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Nobody: 10:26pm On Feb 23, 2013
I hate to break this to you ladies, but a man is just a man. Whether he's Nigerian or African American or from wherever. A man does everything with a purpose, it can be money, love and family, or laziness. Women need to be diligent into finding out what purpose does this man want to pursue with you. Do you ever wonder why your father asks your boyfriend/fiance what his intentions are with his daughter. It's because he's a man and knows that a man always has intentions. The thing is that us women are too emotionally driven. I have made that mistake before, however I've learned to make the distinction.

Now, about this whole issue at hand. Compromise is a good start and communication. In my own life, I've realized that talking and listening is important. Every relationship is different but every successful relationship is based on the same principals. Respect, trust and tolerance.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by MrsChima1(f): 10:37pm On Feb 23, 2013
Blyss:

LOL, why are you always so moody? You need to relax sometimes, sis. smiley

Moody? How can you discern moods via cyberspace? You are Jesus huh?
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by MrsChima1(f): 10:40pm On Feb 23, 2013
tpia@:
i think guys generally dont waste their time when women do not seem overly interested in them.

unless there are other factors involved such as material gain of some sort, they prefer not stressing themselves out over women who dont seem to "dig" them, compared to women who do.

and when you have a larger pool of women to choose from, such as is obtained in america, they'll definitely just stick to the ones who are more open to them (mainly the non-africans of other nationalities and races).

african women can be very reserved, traditional minded and tend not to be into AA men so much, unless they spent a long time abroad or were born and raised there.

so i doubt AA males would consider them a priority when deciding who to date. Its extra work, so to speak.

I don't know about all of that but I do know some African girls that are equally "easy" to African men thnt aren't even worth HIV infections. I know an African girl that is dealing with an African baby daddy who has children by several other women.

So it boils down to each individual.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by MrsChima1(f): 10:46pm On Feb 23, 2013
H-Star89:

Thats true but I don't like it when people flip it to make it seem as if AA guys are getting turned down by African women. A lot of AA guys go for mixed or white american women more so than they go for african women or even asian women; My dad and bf are prime examples.

That's true. There are many African girls that are dating and married to Black American men but you know how SOME Africans and Black people are when it comes to keeping it REAL. They have a huge issue with telling the truth and not being pretentious.

There are African girls that turn down Black American men and there are Black American men that turn down African girls so it boils down to individualism. It is the same for Black American women and African men.

According to statistic...there are more black on black "relationships" than interracial relationships involving black people. Not my source and do not care.

Maybe in 200 years...ignorance will be obsolete...yeah right. grin grin grin
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Blyss: 12:42am On Feb 24, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

I will wait.

Look, the proof is spattered all over the internet for all to see. Even right here on this very site. It's as easy as breathing to find western women complaining their brains out about how some African used them for a green card, or some other illicit reason, while on the other hand it's the equivalent of finding a needle in a haystack to find evidence of such taking place between western men and African women. This is just common knowledge, and you know it. I don't want to sound rude, sis, but come on!! there's no need to turn away from the truth just because it doesn't fit your personal situation.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by MrsChima1(f): 2:44am On Feb 24, 2013
LMAO@splattered all over the internet! Lawd...let me not rain on his parade! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by 9jaforever: 11:38pm On Feb 28, 2013
In my google search for one thing, I found this place. I am a happily married black american woman married to a Nigerian. I was reading some of the stories on here and I must say they are truly sad. My husband is affectionate, attentive and has treated me like a Queen since day one. I've been around Nigerians for about 10 years, a close friend is married to one and in those 10 years, not one has remotely held my interest. My husband came to the states to party, I met him for the sole purpose of hanging out with him for the summer since I wasn't seeing anyone, I was going to play tour guide smiley Low and behold the day I met him, I knew I was going to marry him and 3 months later I did just that. Our home is filled with love and fun. He has made a huge sacrifice, he misses home and at some point we are going to get married there and have the entire shabang wedding.
I say all of this to say, people need to trust their gut. If it feels off then you are probably right. I've always been a damn good judge of character, which is one of the main reasons I kept all the Nigerian males I've met over the years at arms length. I even tease him and tell him that I will probably get deported because of all the stupid crap you're required to do when you marry a non-us citizen! I get it, some marriages are frauds and I'm pretty sure I've witnessed a fake one or two for the sole purpose of getting citizenship.
I've been telling him about some of the things I've read online. Yes, he is an alpha male, which I love alpha males as I have an alpha personality myself. He is not a control freak, but he is the head of the household. I am not denied anything at all, he's even agreed to something that I know for a fact Nigerian men would never agree too!
Ladies listen to your gut it doesn't lie, you know when you have a rotten apple and when you have a King!

3 Likes

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by MrsChima1(f): 3:45pm On Mar 01, 2013
I am sure no one goes around looking for an azzhole but sometime things do not always stay the same. People change and life change. We just have to learn to accept change albeit negative or positive.

You have to determine what is right for you and you alone. No one has a perfect marriage nor relationship. You have every right to think the world of your partner or spouse. No one can take that from you or should.

Good luck to all.

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by 9jaforever: 11:37pm On Mar 01, 2013
I'm also sure that no one goes around looking for an ahole, but when you see that you have one, it's time to leave. I am 40, I've dated some aholes but it was my choice because I was still in my own "play" mode. Fast forward 20 years later and these exes are still good friends, we grew up together and understood that we were young and having fun. Now, for a woman to marry a man that is an ahole, I don't get that. If he was one before the marriage, how can you possibly believe he'll change after? I do know someone that was duped, he was one way and when they got married, he became another. She is a great woman and worked it out but she didn't like him for the first 2.5 years of her marriage, me on the other hand would have ended it immediately. Life is too short to be unhappy and some people sacrifice the wrong things just to say they are married. My husband and I have disagreed and see things totally different on several things but they do not compromise the core of who we are as individuals nor as a couple. It's a difference of opinion and we move on. Having a happy marriage with trust and mutual respect and a TON of communication, is what we care about. He helps with the dishes, he cooks, and does all the things that they say Nigerian men don't do. He does what he does because of his relationship to me. People do to you what you allow them to do, that has nothing to do with culture, race or anything. I can be a sweetie or a bitch, it really comes down to how I choose to interact with another individual and they can either take it or leave it, it's totally up to the other party to know their worth instead of letting another person dictate what they think their worth is.

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by interested549: 5:22am On Mar 25, 2013
Do Nigerian scammers only use internet / phone spy virus and stuff on people their scamming or would they use that in their personal life too?

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by mystikc77: 3:28pm On Mar 25, 2013
If its marriage fraud they will use their personal life, let you meet their family and everything to make it look real to you
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by 9jaforever: 3:44pm On Mar 25, 2013
The ones that have done fraud have been pretty up front about it. I've been asked several times with the offer of money. Due to my beliefs on marriage, I wouldn't do it. The best way to know that it's the real deal is for him to be willing to marry you in Nigeria, legally. If a man is unwilling to marry you there as well as here, then you're probably dealing with a scam artist. You must register there like you have to do here, do not fall just for the familial celebration, you are not legally recognized as a spouse with rights to his property or anything in Nigeria. I've spent the past 10 years friends with Nigerians, I was taught plenty smiley
Meeting family and friends doesn't mean anything, this is a common practice period when Nigerian men start dating an American woman.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by 4X4: 5:08pm On Mar 25, 2013
paintings and carvings at
very cheap prices. paintings @ 30k.

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Massif: 12:10am On Mar 26, 2013
Nalijah: Recently I was in a discussion with a few American women and the topic was "Marrying Nigerian Men". The women claimed that Nigerian men wee demanding, boring, had no romantic nature, and only thought of themselves when having sex. They said Nigerian men were very hard to please. They mentioned that their relaionships with the Nigerian men were fine until the men got citizenship. They claimed once the Nigerian men got USA Citizenship their personalities changed completely. I found this very hard to believe since I am married to a Naija man. I was yold 95% of the Nigerian men that marry American women want citizenship/green card status. I find this hard to believe since I am an American woman that marrried a Nigerian man. All men are hard to please if there is a lack of understanding.
Vary good of nigerian cristians,''HAUSA'S SEENS DIFFERENT'' northern of nigeria.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Massif: 12:11am On Mar 26, 2013
Nalijah: Recently I was in a discussion with a few American women and the topic was "Marrying Nigerian Men". The women claimed that Nigerian men wee demanding, boring, had no romantic nature, and only thought of themselves when having sex. They said Nigerian men were very hard to please. They mentioned that their relaionships with the Nigerian men were fine until the men got citizenship. They claimed once the Nigerian men got USA Citizenship their personalities changed completely. I found this very hard to believe since I am married to a Naija man. I was yold 95% of the Nigerian men that marry American women want citizenship/green card status. I find this hard to believe since I am an American woman that marrried a Nigerian man. All men are hard to please if there is a lack of understanding.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by 9jaforever: 8:24pm On Mar 26, 2013
Nigerian men can be very demanding but that is because they are raised as Alpha men, they are supposed to lead,provide and protect their family. This is not something most American women are accustomed too and that causes the breakdown. A very close friend has been married to a Nigerian man for over 10 years and it was hard but it was hard because she had grown so accustomed to being the LEADER in her home, they clashed. I recently married a Nigerian male, and my husband is understanding, romantic, intimacy is more about me than him BUT I am also the type of woman that demands to be treated a certain way, regardless of nationality. He is the head of the household, as he should be, I've been head of my household for 20 years, it's good to be stress free and leave things up to him. We maintain a balance in our home that works for us. Also, it takes at least 5 years to become a US Citizen. I find it hard to believe that these men changed so dramatically 5 years later. There is a form that you sign when going through the USCIS forms, that makes a spouse legally and financially responsible for the foreign spouse, if a person wants to be a jerk, they'll become one once that paperwork is submitted. Unless you are willing to say your marriage is a fraud and face jail time, you're going to know much sooner than 5 years if your spouse is a jerk or not. The form is I-864, google it and read it.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by 9jaforever: 6:39pm On Apr 05, 2013
osram: m not only interested that they are white,i also do love and cherish them because of their livestyle(simple) and also they are trustworthy,faithful,submisive and obidient.

This is hysterical! I am a black woman married to a Nigerian man and I am all of those things TO HIM! He is a great man and husband, I am treated with love and respect and because of his treatment of me, I am loyal, faithful, submissive and obedient! Women (regardless of race) can be good wives or bad ones. I have an alpha personality in all that I do but that leaves once I'm with my husband. HE is the MAN and I love the man that he is smiley
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Blyss: 2:59am On Apr 06, 2013
9jaforever:

This is hysterical! I am a black woman married to a Nigerian man and I am all of those things TO HIM! He is a great man and husband, I am treated with love and respect and because of his treatment of me, I am loyal, faithful, submissive and obedient! Women (regardless of race) can be good wives or bad ones. I have an alpha personality in all that I do but that leaves once I'm with my husband. HE is the MAN and I love the man that he is smiley

Damn, that negro's whipped like a damn runaway slave. cheesy

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by sunny84: 11:55pm On Apr 07, 2013
If all this men white or black has the fear of God in their heart, there will always be honesty and happy marriage all through there life time. It does not really matter if it a nigerian man,woman or american man or woman.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Yoruba Songs From Back: When? Remember Any? Jot Them Down Here / Igbo learning thread + Translator / Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.