Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,234 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have (19130 Views)

Glo BIS On Android: Has Anyone Noticed This change? / What Android Phone Should I Buy / Official BBM For Iphone And Android Has Been Released (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Slyr0x: 10:57am On Jun 10, 2013
Android is open and customizable. iOS is closed, designed for ease.

Apple’s concern is likely that novice users might download and install an interface-changing app and not know how to remove it — “a bad experience.”

Find below a list of what Android has that iOS has not:

1. Keyboard Replacement

The most commonly requested customization we hear from iOS users is the option to replace the default keyboard. Simply shrinking a typewriter keyboard down for a tiny touch screen may not be the most efficient way to type, especially one-handed. Android lets you replace the default tap-to-type version with third-parties keyboards like SwiftKey which learns how you type to predict your words, and the popular Swype gesture typing keyboard. Advanced prediction and the ability to drag your finger between letters can drastically speed up communication.

2. Widgets

The iOS lock screen and home screen have begun to look quite static. With so many real-time feeds of information out there, from weather to finance to social, staring at wallpaper or a set of dead icons and folders buries information. Android lets you pull that data out from apps and splay it across your lock and home screens for value at a glance. While Apple has sought to make the iOS interface consistent, more experienced users would appreciate the ability to deviate to their own tastes.

3. Phone App Modifications

One under-appreciated advantage of Android is the ability to change the most basic part of a phone — the phone part. Apps can allow you to block certain numbers or entire area codes from calling you or send their calls straight to voicemail — handy for dealing with insistent telemarketers or ex-girl/boyfriends. You can set up custom Do Not Disturb modes that repond to calls or SMS with a pre-written text message. There’s even crowd sourced caller ID apps that pull in what other people have named numbers so you always know who’s calling. Mr. Number was a particularly powerful phone app mod who was rewarded for its innovation by being acquired by WhitePages. Mr. Number doesn’t even offer an iOS version because none of this functionality was allowed on iOS 6 or older.

4. Homescreen / Launcher Replacements

Launchers have long been a favorite of Android users, but Facebook Home brought the open / closed issue to the mainstream, demonstrating how your entire phone experience can be reskinned. Home lets you read the news feed from your lock screen, while others like GO Launcher EX, LauncherPro, and SO.HO let you navigate through gestures, offer quick access to certain settings, and provide pre-made themes amongst other options.

5. Cross-App Functionality, Data Sharing, and Defaults

Android doesn’t erect boundaries between apps like iOS. Thanks to App Intents, apps can easily share information and content with each other so you can send a photo from one editing app to another. They can even run over the top of one another, like Facebook’s Chat Heads which overlays chat conversations on whatever app you’re currently using. On iOS, Chat Heads is trapped within the Facebook app. Android also lets you pick which app you’d like to default to for opening certain media types, or doing certain actions.

6. Multi-User Support

Sharing one device between many people is a huge pain on iOS. You all have to use the same instance of the operating system. That means frequent log-ins and outs of different apps, overlapping phone books, a shared camera roll, and big issues for parents who don’t want to let their kids meddle with their whole phone or tablet when they hand it over to let them play a game. Android lets each user customize their account to their liking.

There are plenty of other personalization options on Android, including automation for scheduling tasks; quick controls for brightness, wifi, and airplane mode; the ability to track and manage your battery and data usage by restricting what certain apps can do; and SD cards for slotting in new data.

Of course, Apple isn’t fond of just following grin so we’ll hopefully get some true innovation in iOS 7 at WWDC tomorrow. But adding some of these features could unlock new opportunities for the developer community, attract more hardcore tech users, and let people feel like the Apple devices they carry everywhere are truly their own.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/09/many-shades-of-android-apples-all-the-same/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by mvwealth: 11:11am On Jun 10, 2013
;Dgalaxy s4 al d way. ;Dgalaxy s4 al d way.

1 Like

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Nobody: 11:26am On Jun 10, 2013
Thats very correct and those re the main reason why i cant use an iphone! But on the orther hand pple see it as iphone being simple with its unified UI and beign security thight with it inability to share sum tinz. To sum pple security comes first! Esp big men!

2 Likes

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by ibietela2(m): 2:51pm On Jun 10, 2013
cryIs that all??
Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by AnodaIT(m): 3:49pm On Jun 10, 2013
yet another droid vs apple thread.

The reason people preferred Windows to MAC and saw its growth was that a brand new window was a virgin fertile ground and user could plant almost anything they want there. MAC was a beautiful , sleek out-of-box machine but closed.
Novice would prefer the packed feature of MAC computer but expert would be complaining of the limitations.
Same here with phones. Symbian and Android is to Windows what Blackberry and iOS is to MAC.
Most people did not know that they could get push emails to their fones since 2008 until Blackberry came. Simply because Nokia expected you to configure it manually all the way while BB is straight in but you are limited to only what they gave you.
I always refer to Android as the Ultimate mobile OS cos of its versatility. The new package might not come with all the bells of Apple OS but it can afford you the function of adding almost anything you see on the iOS and so much more.
My advice. If your first smartphone experience is BB or iPhone then stick to it as you might muddle things up in the versatile android but if you were groom in the workings of symbian then move up to android or WP8

17 Likes

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by ciphoenix: 5:42pm On Jun 10, 2013
AnodaIT: yet another droid vs apple thread.

The reason people preferred Windows to MAC and saw its growth was that a brand new window was a virgin fertile ground and user could plant almost anything they want there. MAC was a beautiful , sleek out-of-box machine but closed.
Novice would prefer the packed feature of MAC computer but expert would be complaining of the limitations.
Same here with phones. Symbian and Android is to Windows what Blackberry and iOS is to MAC.
Most people did not know that they could get push emails to their fones since 2008 until Blackberry came. Simply because Nokia expected you to configure it manually all the way while BB is straight in but you are limited to only what they gave you.
I always refer to Android as the Ultimate mobile OS cos of its versatility. The new package might not come with all the bells of Apple OS but it can afford you the function of adding almost anything you see on the iOS and so much more.
My advice. If your first smartphone experience is BB or iPhone then stick to it as you might muddle things up in the versatile android but if you were groom in the workings of symbian then move up to android or WP8

BUt unlike windows, android doesn't get worse with each new version grin

10 Likes

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Francheezy(m): 5:50pm On Jun 10, 2013
ciphoenix:

lol
Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by ibietela2(m): 7:54pm On Jun 10, 2013
After reading all the comments there, apple iPhone users are just STU... PID, just as most of the comments there.

1 Like

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jun 10, 2013
Don't forget to add ROOTING.
Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 10, 2013
ciphoenix:

what do u mean! Windows phone has a record of achiving more in its second year than ios and andriod in thier second year!

1 Like

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 10, 2013
ibietela2: After reading all the comments there, apple iPhone users are just STU... PID, just as most of the comments there.
actually the only stuuu,,upid comment i can see here is urs! #NoOffence
cos u did not contrubute to what the topic is sayin! U were simply off key! Iphone users aint stu,upid! Everyone has a choice! And iphone is thier chioce! If u have a problem with that, *In M.I voice* Walk down the road and go hug transfomer!

5 Likes

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by ZUBY77(m): 9:02pm On Jun 10, 2013
Google simply opened the OS doors. symbian, windows and ios just wanted to conttol peoples lives. just the same way china opened up the world.

2 Likes

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by W3xy1(m): 9:12pm On Jun 10, 2013
android all the way

1 Like

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Wendyslim(f): 9:16pm On Jun 10, 2013
Let me go get mine. Android all the way cool cool cool
Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 10, 2013
My tecno andriod makes me money @ www.nairaland.com/1319058/internet-job-opportunities-explained-e-job, i dont think ios can do that

1 Like

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by jedisco(m): 9:21pm On Jun 10, 2013
ibietela2: After reading all the comments there, apple iPhone users are just STU... PID, just as most of the comments there.

Have you ever used an iOS device?
You are one naive fellow.

1 Like

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by jedisco(m): 9:22pm On Jun 10, 2013
@op

Have you ever thought that iOS was never meant to be android?

They are both different OSes and should act and feel different. That not withstanding, there is always room for improvement and new features are always welcome. We should however not forget that they are meant to be different.

Just stop all this and use what suits you.

1 Like

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by laivwire(m): 9:30pm On Jun 10, 2013
.[quote author=Slyr0x]Android is open and customizable. iOS is closed, designed for ease.

That alone makes the difference for me. IOS is way too restricted
Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 10, 2013
observer2020: [color=#770077][/color]
I guess we need a new rule for quoting an entire article meaninglessly.
If u can't understand common in the word sense, find one.
However, android all the way

2 Likes

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jun 10, 2013
Team#SamsungGalaxy
Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by TVTKOKO(m): 9:33pm On Jun 10, 2013
Pls u guys should stop all diz android,tecno,blackberry stuff abeg una wan make i commit phone suicide?

5 Likes

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by futureniyi: 9:33pm On Jun 10, 2013
Say Hi To IOS 7 http://www.apple.com/

Errm as regards ur thread, There's a reason why every new Phone, Tablet or Mobile OS is compared to iPhone, iPad & IOS. There's a reason why you're comparing Android to IOS. It's cos IOS is the stuff to beat and Samsung & Google, are going to have to think way outside the box instead of simply trying to make a better IOS or iPhone.
www.ranksng.com

6 Likes

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by ajetunde: 9:33pm On Jun 10, 2013
weirdkay: My tecno andriod makes me money @ www.nairaland.com/1319058/internet-job-opportunities-explained-e-job, i dont think ios can do that

2 Likes

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 10, 2013
^^^lmaooooo cheesy grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 10, 2013
What Android has that IOS doesn't:

1. BUGS
2. Unsigned Software
3. Security Loopholes
4. Instability

Team iPhone 5 all day,err day baby...

14 Likes

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by lafuria1(m): 9:36pm On Jun 10, 2013
Just heard of a new ios7 for iPhone users. The op have said it all, flexibility and compatibility with other devices was the main reason I choosed android over ios, I just love the iPhone body though.
Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by coogar: 9:36pm On Jun 10, 2013
Slyr0x: Android is open and customizable. iOS is closed, designed for ease.

Apple’s concern is likely that novice users might download and install an interface-changing app and not know how to remove it — “a bad experience.”

Find below a list of what Android has that iOS has not:

1. Keyboard Replacement

The most commonly requested customization we hear from iOS users is the option to replace the default keyboard. Simply shrinking a typewriter keyboard down for a tiny touch screen may not be the most efficient way to type, especially one-handed. Android lets you replace the default tap-to-type version with third-parties keyboards like SwiftKey which learns how you type to predict your words, and the popular Swype gesture typing keyboard. Advanced prediction and the ability to drag your finger between letters can drastically speed up communication.

2. Widgets

The iOS lock screen and home screen have begun to look quite static. With so many real-time feeds of information out there, from weather to finance to social, staring at wallpaper or a set of dead icons and folders buries information. Android lets you pull that data out from apps and splay it across your lock and home screens for value at a glance. While Apple has sought to make the iOS interface consistent, more experienced users would appreciate the ability to deviate to their own tastes.

3. Phone App Modifications

One under-appreciated advantage of Android is the ability to change the most basic part of a phone — the phone part. Apps can allow you to block certain numbers or entire area codes from calling you or send their calls straight to voicemail — handy for dealing with insistent telemarketers or ex-girl/boyfriends. You can set up custom Do Not Disturb modes that repond to calls or SMS with a pre-written text message. There’s even crowd sourced caller ID apps that pull in what other people have named numbers so you always know who’s calling. Mr. Number was a particularly powerful phone app mod who was rewarded for its innovation by being acquired by WhitePages. Mr. Number doesn’t even offer an iOS version because none of this functionality was allowed on iOS 6 or older.

4. Homescreen / Launcher Replacements

Launchers have long been a favorite of Android users, but Facebook Home brought the open / closed issue to the mainstream, demonstrating how your entire phone experience can be reskinned. Home lets you read the news feed from your lock screen, while others like GO Launcher EX, LauncherPro, and SO.HO let you navigate through gestures, offer quick access to certain settings, and provide pre-made themes amongst other options.

5. Cross-App Functionality, Data Sharing, and Defaults

Android doesn’t erect boundaries between apps like iOS. Thanks to App Intents, apps can easily share information and content with each other so you can send a photo from one editing app to another. They can even run over the top of one another, like Facebook’s Chat Heads which overlays chat conversations on whatever app you’re currently using. On iOS, Chat Heads is trapped within the Facebook app. Android also lets you pick which app you’d like to default to for opening certain media types, or doing certain actions.

6. Multi-User Support

Sharing one device between many people is a huge pain on iOS. You all have to use the same instance of the operating system. That means frequent log-ins and outs of different apps, overlapping phone books, a shared camera roll, and big issues for parents who don’t want to let their kids meddle with their whole phone or tablet when they hand it over to let them play a game. Android lets each user customize their account to their liking.

There are plenty of other personalization options on Android, including automation for scheduling tasks; quick controls for brightness, wifi, and airplane mode; the ability to track and manage your battery and data usage by restricting what certain apps can do; and SD cards for slotting in new data.

Of course, Apple isn’t fond of just following grin so we’ll hopefully get some true innovation in iOS 7 at WWDC tomorrow. But adding some of these features could unlock new opportunities for the developer community, attract more hardcore tech users, and let people feel like the Apple devices they carry everywhere are truly their own.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/09/many-shades-of-android-apples-all-the-same/

all these points are rubbish because only 5% of fandroids can actually enjoy these things. the other 95% are using old softwares and upgrading to the latest software on android is almost impossible unlike apple's smooth transition!

4 Likes

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by sexkillzisacunt: 9:38pm On Jun 10, 2013
Need I say more?
Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by gbanikiti(m): 9:39pm On Jun 10, 2013
I don't think i have number 3 on my phone. smh

1 Like

Re: What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jun 10, 2013
The push button

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" / We Did Not Sack Oyagbola And We Paid No Bribe - MTN. / I Bought Redmi 8 Because Of Nairaland Now This Is Happening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.