Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,805 members, 7,820,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future (18972 Views)

Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) / Gionee Service Centre Staff Are Ruining The Brand / 6 Ways Social Networks Are Ruining Your Life - Naijatechguy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:08am On May 13, 2017
You don't need to remind me of the article I wrote on how artificial intelligence may end up running our lives. This time It's social media. I'm certainly not technophobic... At least to the best of my knowledge. I don't have to depend on some archaic piece of tech to write my posts. That said, let's get rolling.
Of all the tools available to keep track of the past, social media could prove the most detrimental.

Let's take Instagram for example. Imagine having to explain to your children why an image that was taken in 2017 has the same desaturated colors as the one taken in 1970. The picture is essentially a copy of one they might see from generations earlier, taken by your grandparents and featuring your mum or dad as kids.

The worst is Snapchat...
"Hey Kids, that's your grandma on the night I met her, don't bother about the dog ears, nose, and tongue. Wasn’t she beautiful?.

For thousands of years, humans relied on spoken word as a means to pass stories from one generation to the next. Later, communication progressed to information written on scrolls and rock, audio recordings, and then video. Now, we have the means to preserve each of these in our pocket..

The impact of this is humongous. Each person with a smartphone now has the means to create a historical archive, and can do that with every image, video, or status update.

And aside from all the ways we’re messing up historical archives with dog-eared lenses and Instagram filters, we haven’t even touched on the bigger issue: the massive amount of data we’re leaving future generations.

On Facebook alone, users upload more than 350 million photos a day. Twitter sees around 500 million new tweets daily — that’s around 6,000 per second. And it’s not really the amount of data that's the problem; it’s the lot's of useless information we’re leaving.

I feel bad for future historians that will invariably have to make a proper analysis to get an accurate view of our history.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:09am On May 13, 2017
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Nobody: 6:15am On May 13, 2017
Ha,no be only future o,even the now.Just watch,you will see the negative role the social media will play in this current jamb.
Many girls are getting old or they are already old at home cos of the social media,pls don't ask me how?
many of them are here on nairaland.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by webincomeplus(m): 6:37am On May 13, 2017
This addiction to social media is ruining everything. And it's bad for even the economy as a whole.

When paid employees spend more time on social media rather than concentrate on the job they are paid for, their productivity reduces, the employer records less progress and profits than expected. The ultimate result? Employers are forced to lay off employees just to stay afloat.

Now, before some skunks read shitty meanings into my words, I've not said social media addiction is the only reason for increased loss of jobs due to dwindling fortunes of employers. But it sure is one of the contributing factors.

In addition, Nigerians would be better off if only they can cut down on the hours spent on "slaying", "calling out", "reacting", "shading", "trolling", "bashing", and doing all sorts on social media. If only they could channel that time into brainstorming for innovative business ideas that can better their fortunes, that would not only grant them financial independence but also create jobs and improve the economy.

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:52am On May 13, 2017
AntiIPOB:
Ha,no be only future o,even the now.Just watch,you will see the negative role the social media will play in this current jamb.
Many girls are getting old or they are already old at home cos of the social media,pls don't ask me how?
grin grin

Very true

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Nobody: 6:55am On May 13, 2017
Valid points!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Elmojiid(m): 7:07am On May 13, 2017
AntiIPOB:
u mean the slay mama.

8 Likes

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:13am On May 13, 2017
Elmojiid:
u mean the slay mama.
slay aunties and stay queens grin

11 Likes

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by jericco1(m): 7:24am On May 13, 2017
What do you think should be done?

3 Likes

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Bahddo(m): 7:57am On May 13, 2017
Ridiculous post. You took your subjective dislike of instagram and snapchat filters and made a mountain out of it. That's silly.

Don't flatter yourself, in hundreds of years from now, your photos wouldn't even be relevant. Same way most of us couldn't care less what people discussed in the 10th century. The only people who would be remotely interested are historians and other people who wish to study how social media has evolved over time.

The year 2017 wouldn't be relevant either. People would only mention the 21st century, and at times group the 20th and 21st century together.

You seem to underestimate the power of technology. Even right now, technology has made data processing relatively easy. Don't even imagine how it would be in future, when 1 terabyte of data would be to them the way 1 megabyte of data is to us.

Don't pity future generations. They would be just fine with or without your photos, in fact chances are they would do more with augumented and virtual reality. Pity those in the the current generation that believe snapchat filters can possibly ruin the future.

78 Likes 12 Shares

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by oodua1stson: 8:23am On May 13, 2017
Each generation has its vices. Even our parents/grandparents did things that were embarrassing to them now.

I know the future will sort itself

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by oodua1stson: 8:27am On May 13, 2017
And to tell you how ridiculous this topic is; I checked my status update on Facebook from 2008. They were funny and embarrassing but I left it their. It'd good for laughs in the future

10 Likes

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:29am On May 13, 2017
Bahddo:
Ridiculous post. You took your subjective dislike of instagram and snapchat filters and made a mountain out of it. That's silly.

Don't flatter yourself, in hundreds of years from now, your photos wouldn't even be relevant. Same way most of us couldn't care less what people discussed in the 10th century. The only people who would be remotely interested are historians and other people who wish to study how social media has evolved over time.

The year 2017 wouldn't be relevant either. People would only mention the 21st century, and at times group the 20th and 21st century together.

You seem to underestimate the power of technology. Even right now, technology has made data processing relatively easy. Don't even imagine how it would be in future, when 1 terabyte of data would be to them the way 1 megabyte of data is to us.

Don't pity future generations. They would be just fine with or without your photos, in fact chances are they would do more with augumented and virtual reality. Pity those in the the current generation that believe snapchat filters can possibly ruin the future.

I don't Underestimate the power of technology. If you check my post well, I'm writing from the "Family" point of view. Don't tell me you haven't seen pictures of your grandparents or parents when they were kids. Oh I guess their pictures meant nothing to you.. The trend continues. You expect those in the future to automatically remove filters from your photos with augmented reality or VR, though it's possible but Did you have to remove filters to see your dad's picture as a youth. The useless amount of data we're leaving is too much. Let me remind you even in 2017 the past years still matter. The same way 2017 will matter in years to come. History is an essential part of humanity, technology cannot do without it. It's as simple as that.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:35am On May 13, 2017
oodua1stson:
And to tell you how ridiculous this topic is; I checked my status update on Facebook from 2008. They were funny and embarrassing but I left it their. It'd good for laughs in the future
looking back at things we've posted is always funny.. Especially when there's nothing bad there. How about people who lost access to their accounts and there are some compromising posts on their accounts. Trust me they wouldn't want their data to be brought up in the future. Let's say a kid is eager to know more about his mum and looks her up on Facebook and sees indecent stuffs he's not meant to see. I agree that each generation has its vices but details of ours is more accessible than other previous generations.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Nobody: 10:11am On May 13, 2017
Elmojiid:
u mean the slay mama.
They are many o,but using their old pictures as profile pics.
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by austinereds(m): 10:26am On May 13, 2017
well done tech guy. you literally nailed it. it's just the hard truth. social media some how makes us limited in a way.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Bahddo(m): 12:15pm On May 13, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

I don't Underestimate the power of technology. If you check my post well, I'm writing from the "Family" point of view. Don't tell me you haven't seen pictures of your grandparents or parents when they were kids. Oh I guess their pictures meant nothing to you.. The trend continues. You expect those in the future to automatically remove filters from your photos with augmented reality or VR, though it's possible but Did you have to remove filters to see your dad's picture as a youth. The useless amount of data we're leaving is too much. Let me remind you even in 2017 the past years still matter. The same way 2017 will matter in years to come. History is an essential part of humanity, technology cannot do without it. It's as simple as that.
Oh, past years matter to us? Ok, tell me without doing any search on the internet, how did people take pics in the year 1917? How were their videos like?

My grandparents also have black and white and sepia pictures. Even some with a bluish tint that they say used to come out of the camera the moment it is taken. If it has effects different from reality, then it has a filter. I didn't fail to recognize my grandparents just because it was sepia or black and white.

It's no different today. Mankind just got more creative. Thanks to augmented reality (Facebook is coming up with something huge), we'd soon be able to take pics with imaginary persons, creatures or even in imaginary places. I certainly don't think that's a bad thing. It's just for the fun of it. There would still be normal pics your future generations can see.

Useless amount of data? I bet you don't know how your great great grandpa looked like. Yet you make it seem that a photo with filters is worse than no photo. Useless is subjective, the fact that a mouse has no need for fins doesn't make fins universally useless.

Indecent pics cannot be blamed on social media. That's down to individual folly and man's obsession with sexuality. I hope you know that far back thousands of years ago when there were no cameras or the internet, people drew or engraved obscene picture on walls. Social Media is just a tool. How you use it depends on you.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:05am On May 14, 2017
austinereds:
well done tech guy. you literally nailed it. it's just the hard truth. social media some how makes us limited in a way.
smiley
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:25am On May 14, 2017
AntiIPOB:
on point grin

1 Like

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by feran15(m): 8:33am On May 14, 2017
No one would use dog filters to tell their grand children of their past. I still have the pictures I take every year without filters the snapchat and others are just for the moment just a phase

3 Likes

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Nutase: 8:33am On May 14, 2017
shocked
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by TINALETC3(f): 8:34am On May 14, 2017
angry
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by jeeqaa7(m): 8:34am On May 14, 2017
Fa
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Soso990240(m): 8:34am On May 14, 2017
Here is what I believe in:
1.Too much of everything is bad.
2.Everybody musnt be wise,we must still have fools among us,its natural.
3.Everybody musnt be rich,someone must be poor,its natural.
4.Somethings are not necessary,yet some people must do them.
5.Try your best and avoid mistakes,because you must learn to live with them.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by lilfreezy: 8:34am On May 14, 2017
I totally agree with you op

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by hakeem4(m): 8:35am On May 14, 2017
B

1 Like

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by niceguy7(m): 8:35am On May 14, 2017
I dont think so, lets face the present first....
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Nobody: 8:41am On May 14, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
You don't need to remind me of the article I wrote on how artificial intelligence may end up running our lives. This time It's social media. I'm certainly not technophobic...

And it’s not really the amount of data that's the problem; it’s the lot's of useless information we’re leaving.

You're right; there's certainly more noise these days.

But then again, is there really more noise today or are there just more tools amplifying the noise that has always been there?

Humans have been goofing off since known history and will always do so.

It's just that we now have more tools to express our wisdom - and foolishness.

Wisdom has never really been "sexy" so invariably much foolishness floats to the top.

"Grandma, who is that gagged man in the car trunk?"

"Oh, that? That was my pre-wedding picture with your Grandpa"...

5 Likes

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by eyinjuege: 8:42am On May 14, 2017
It all depends on what you see as an individual.

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full?

Social media has helped some people raise giant businesses. Its saved some people the time and effort required to sort out family issues, its saved a lot of lives too. Its been used to raise money for charities and indigene cases. Its been used to create awareness on touching social issues that matter
So many wonderful things about social media.
It's helped to apprehend criminals, it's helped to find kidnapped children and their families will forever be grateful to social media.
So many wonderful sides to it.

3 Likes

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by hardywaltz(m): 8:43am On May 14, 2017
Eziokwu

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Leaked Images Of The New Blackberry 10 L Series Phone Surfaces / NIN-SIM: How To Retrieve Your Barred Mobile Phone Numbers / Hw 2 Suscribe For 25MB & 50MB Day Plan Wit Just #150 & #200 On MTN..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.